Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
    Draycos Goldaryn
  Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:34 am
The Goldyn Scaly One

Advanced 8-Directional Movement
Version: 3.01

Introduction

This script allows for a more extensive 8 directional movement system than comes default with RMXP. It also improves the diagonal sprite movements. This script also affects events as well as the player. It also has the option to toggle between five different methods of movement:
  • Default 4-directional Movement - Using the arrow keys and numberpad, the player can move in only four directions.
  • Default 8-directional Movement - Using the arrow keys and numberpad, the player can move in all eight directions.
  • Point and Click Movement - Using Near_Fantastica's Mouse Module along with his Pathfinding Script and Aleworks Input Module, the player may move his character with the mouse.
  • Axial Movement - The player turns 45 degrees using the left and right arrows and move forward or backward using the up or down arrow respectively.
    This is ideal for airships, boats, or other vehicles. It can also be used with numpad movement and/or mouse movement.
  • Movement Control using Numpad - The player uses the numpad to move in all 8 directions.
    This is ideal in case you wish to use the arrow keys for something other than movement or if you want to use axial movement also.
Also, character sprites now must include 8 poses: one for each direction, in the following order:
.  Lower Left
Down
Lower Right
Left
Right
Upper Left
Up
Upper Right

Screenshots

See the Demo

Demo

Available in the Download Mananger
Also available from Geocities

Script
Required Scripts

Advanced 8-D Movement Script

Instructions

To toggle the various methods of movement, use the following call scripts:
Default 8-directional movement : $game_system.default_movement = true
Point and Click movement : $game_system.mouse_movement = true
Axial Movement : $game_system.axial_movement = true
Numpad Movement : $game_system.numpad_movement = true

If you want to use only 4-directional movement, then set all the previous metioned variables to false.
You will also need new character spritesheets with all eight directions. here is the one used in the demo:

Compatibility

No known compatablity issues as of yet, though three other scripts are required. They can be found within the demo.
(Note: Near's Pathfinding Script in the demo has been modified by me. The modified version is what is required.)

This script will not work with 4 directional sprites. The following spoiler will contain links to templates, and/or sprites that will work with this system. If you know of any others, feel free to post a link here and I will add it to the list.
8-Directional Templates

Credits and Thanks

Thanks to Near_Fantastica for his pathfinding script and superior mouse module. Also thanks to vgvgf(Aleworks) for his input module which made editing the input module for axial movement much easier. And to the SDK team.

Author's Notes

Changes made in version 3.01:
  • Axial movement can now turn while moving
  • Improved event movement toward and away from player
  • Uses Aleworks Input Module instead of Near's Keyboard
  • fixes clash between axial and default or numpad movement
  • fixed bug with turn toward/away from player
  • fixed draw_actor bug in menus
  • can now jump in eight directions
  • fixed draw_actor bug in the save and load menus.
Version 3.20 will feature a faster, more versatile, bug free pathfinding script. Keep an eye out, it will be coming soon. It will also no longer require any of Near's scripts, but that is to come at a later date.

If you find any bugs, or have any suggestions, feel free to leave your comments.

And now for some fun:
Popular Quotes with a Goldaryn Twist! (Updated 2011-08-25)

Last edited by Draycos Goldaryn on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Chaos_Prime
  Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:02 am

nice script but it's giving me errors

Top Top

Trickster
  Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:03 am

Uhh wow another scripter actually uploaded a demo to the Download Manager :)

Wow pretty need but I don't agree with your use of global variables they would have been better suited as an instance variable of game system (if you do this then your edits to the Save and Load Scenes are not needed as Game_System is saved with the save data)

also if you need any help converting this to be SDK compliant then get in touch with me and I'll help, because in this scripts current state it is overwriting a few of the methods SDK splits up which is not good

Top Top

Draycos Goldaryn
  Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:44 pm
The Goldyn Scaly One

@ chaos_prime: What type of errors? Do you have the other scripts by Near_Fantastica that are needed?

@Trickster: Thank you. I'm still new and trying to learn. your help would be appreciated. I'll send a PM in your direction shortly.

And now for some fun:

Top Top

Draycos Goldaryn
  Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:22 pm
The Goldyn Scaly One

I have made the script SDK 2.2 compliant. See the first post.

And now for some fun:

Top Top

OmegaGroudon
  Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:29 am

Dont you think the spritesheet is too small... The spritesheet is smaller then the default sprite (001-hero001)....Can you edit it and let it become bigger sprite?

And I found out a few bug! When press start and see the hero status....The sprite is 2 rock ball...I mean this:http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8322/untitledkp8.png[/IMG]

The second bug is: When I talk with the event isometricly...The event won't turn towards player...

Last edited by OmegaGroudon on Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Unrivaledneo
  Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:05 am

Another Bug with the Axil movement, you can not move down, and when you go to turn you slide to the side.

Top Top

Draycos Goldaryn
  Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:11 pm
The Goldyn Scaly One

@OmegaGrouden: I edited the rock02 charactersprite. I left it the same size as it was, just added arrows so you can see which direction it faced. I did notice that first bug you pointed out, It just didn't occur to me. I will look into it deeper and fix it. As for the second bug, I realized that after I had "finished" it, and if you look at the first post, it is already included in the list of things to do. turn_towards_player

@Neonyo: Make sure, when you turn on axial movement, you turn off default movement.

$game_system.default_movement = false[/FONT]

That should fix it.

And now for some fun:

Top Top

OmegaGroudon
  Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:24 pm

I mean the rockball too small per movement...You know wat I mean? My character this bigger than the size of rockball...

Can you make it support this kind of spritesheet?
Take a look!
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/7831 ... e01mh7.png[/img]

Top Top

Draycos Goldaryn
  Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:39 pm
The Goldyn Scaly One

oh, I see. In that case, near the end of my script, in the Sprite_Character class just before Game_Map, find this bit of code:
Expand to see the code.

@cw defines how many frames per pose. change the 4 to 9. you may also have to change
self.ox = @cw / 2
but since I'm not at home right now, I can't tell you what it would need to be changed to. I won't be able to do anything to the script itself until Tuesday.

EDIT: I noticed you have a standing pose at the begining and 8 frame walking poses. Doing it the way I just said will probably include the standing frame along with the walking frames. I will look into a way to have the script use the standing frame when standing and loop frames 2-9 when walking, since that is probably what you want. It will take me some time, since i only get about one to three hours on the computer at home during the weekdays, and work all day on the weekends. Plus, my son has a doctor's appointment on Monday, so i won't be able to get on the home computer until Tuesday. I'll let you know what i can find.

And now for some fun:

Last edited by Draycos Goldaryn on Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

OmegaGroudon
  Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:51 pm

Thanks, but for the self.ox could you explain wat is the function? I can't wait till Tuesday... I need as fast as I could....

Top Top

Draycos Goldaryn
  Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:56 pm
The Goldyn Scaly One

I don't know. I don't have rmxp at work and won't be able to look into it until Tuesday. Try to edit it the way I said for now, see what happens, then fiddle with that number at the end of self.ox and see what happens until you find the right one for your purpose. That's the best i can offer right now.

And now for some fun:

Top Top

Draycos Goldaryn
  Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:18 pm
The Goldyn Scaly One

There is an update. The following methods were redefined:
  • Move toward player
  • Move Away from player
  • Turn toward player
  • Turn away from player
  • Jump
The bug where two frames of the actor graphic would be drawn in the menus has been fixed.

If you find any other bugs or have suggestions for improvement, leave your comments here. As far as I'm concerned, this script is at it's final version, unless there are bugfixes in the future.

If you want more than four frame animation, I suggest using another script as this one is designed for only four frames of animation.

And now for some fun:

Top Top

Draycos Goldaryn
  Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:10 pm
The Goldyn Scaly One

DraycosGoldaryn;196276 wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, this script is at it's final version, unless there are bugfixes in the future.

I lied... Introducing Version 3.00!!

Axial movement has improved, a few other bugs were fixed, and aleworks input module has replaced near's keyboard module (this allowed better editing of the input module to do allow numpad movement to work with axial movement.).

As always, if you have any suggestions or questions or if you find any bugs, post it here.

Thank you.

And now for some fun:

Top Top

Draycos Goldaryn
  Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:59 pm
The Goldyn Scaly One

Found a bug and fixed it. Silly me, when I fixed the menu bug, I didn't notice that the Window_SaveFile was not affected... now it's fixed as well.

And now for some fun:

Top Top

wackedoutbiker
  Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:25 am

Very cool script. Do you think this would be compatible with this ABS I'm planning on using?

http://www.phanxgames.com/resources/displayimage.php?album=52&pos=0

I know it's a long shot, but if it's possible, I'd like to implement this ABS with 8 directional movement (with proper anims of course) and the ability to attack and shoot projectiles diagonally?

4 way movement seems a bit restrictive for this kind of thing.

Last edited by wackedoutbiker on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

wackedoutbiker
  Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:27 am

Uh oh, my comp freaked and I ended up double posting trying to save it. Sorry.

Top Top

creamdonut
  Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:55 am

Hey draycos! I had a small request, and I hope someone thinks this is a good idea... It's about dashing. Your script works wonders for me, and I love it to death. Sure, I do not need the point and click thingy, and a couple few more things, but besides that, your script is awsome. There is one thing though, that I still need... spritesheet changing for the dash. What I mean is, could you implement a function in your script, that given I press X key for the dash, the charset will change to a dashing charset? Something like

if 'x' is pressed then
charset.sprite=charset.sprite+"_dash"

I know this is not programming language, it's just the idea for the thing. I'm still quite n00bish when it comes to RGSS. I'm learning, but I still have a long way to go.
Of course, this could be another of those functions we could activate / deactivate when moving towards the end of your script. And perhaps, for just those who want to change the charset, you could also implement a choice in the script for us to choose if this function would be applied to the dashing function, or simply changing the charset... I think you get what I mean, right?

If you could do this, you would so much be my hero!

Top Top

CERU
  Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:17 pm

Heyyy, resident evil style movement! Coooooool.

Except, I can't see how axial movement would be really useful without prerendered backgrounds or sudden camera changes.

Top Top

arev
  Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:21 am
The Replicator Block
Sponsor

Guys, please, make an effort of looking at the last post's date. And when you do, and realize it's been sent long time ago - find another topic to post :]

Top Top

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]