[ Big| Medium| Small] -

SephirothSpawn
  Tue May 16, 2006 4:47 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

SDK - Standard Development Kit
Version 2.4

Installing the SDK 2.4 :
Copy and Paste The RMXP SDK Complete code into your script editor below Scene_Debug, and above all other scripts.

The RMXP Complete Text File

What is the SDK?/ SDK Features :
The SDK is a rewrite of many of the default classes, a module with scripting tools and a set of scripting standards. The SDK is aimed at the compatible issues of many scripts fighting over the same methods of the default classes. The SDK breaks up these methods into many other methods targeted directly at one function. The hope is that by breaking up these methods you limit the need to over write then whole method and can Alias just the area or function you want to add to or edit.

The SDK should NOT be edited and redistribute without contacting a member of the SDK Team. Edits to the SDK may cause massive capability errors and would defeat what we are trying to do here.

When you post a script you should state if it's SDK compatible and what version it's compatible with. A member of the SDK Team will review it and flag it to receive a SDK logo signifying that it is indeed SDK compatible. Questions regarding the SDK or making scripts SDK compatible should be directed to a SDK team Member. SDK scripts are in NO way better then non SDK scripts. A higher level of time and effort has however been invested into them by the scripter to hopefully limit compatibly issues.

New in 2.0 :
The SDK has changed a lot in this upgrade. The first change is the separation of the SDK. The SDK has been separated into 4 parts now, allowing users and scripters more options.

Part I is for everyone. Adding the SDK Part I will not destroy your project. Instead, Part I is focused on the SDK module and the additional SDK::Scene_Base class (see below). Part I also includes standard fixes such as the script call freeze and a help prevention of windows trying to dispose multiple times. There is also a method created to test if a page's conditions have been fully reached.

After Part I, you only need to include the parts for scripts that require additional parts. If a script requires Part II, but not III or IV, you do not need to put them in your project. Same goes for Part III. However, if a script Requires Part IV, you must also have the Part III, as Part IV uses methods created in Part III. It is advised to just have all parts, but not recommended unless otherwise specified.

Part II is specified for the Game, Sprite & Spriteset classes. Part III is the conversion of all Scene classes to use the SDK::Scene_Base class. Part IV is the re modification of how commands work. The target here : adding commands in scenes made easy.

The SDK::Scene_Base class can and should be used as the parent class of all classes. It : provides a structure to the main method ; auto-update and dispose objects. To read more about it, check the SDK Documentation.

Part IV's separation of scene command input uses a sub-module in the SDK, Scene_Commands. All scenes should have a sub-module for anything that uses Window_Command, or Window_HorizCommand. It is not required, just highly recommended.

The Upgrade Patch:
The upgrade patch is an attempt to help people switch from the 1.5 version to the 2.0 with a limit on the troubles. It is not required, but will not affect you game at all. Nothing is guaranteed to make every 1.5 script work with the 2.0, but it is an attempt.

SDK Team Members:
SephirothSpawn
Trickster
Near Fantastica
Fuso
Wachunga
Prexus

FAQ :
What is the SDK?
Quote:
The Standard Development Kit (SDK) aims to increase compatibility between
    RGSS scripts by:
    a) defining a set of scripting standards (see section 3)
    B) restructuring often-used default classes and methods (see section 4)
    c) providing a scripting tools module (see section 5)

Dose this goes above main?
When you are installing the SDK place it above the all your other scripts but below the default scripts.

Will my old scripts still work?
  If your scripts work now then they should work after you install the SDK although that is not 100% tested

Support :
If you are in need of any support with the SDK, please use this topic.

--------------------------------------------------

Everyone please only post in this thread if you need help, have a question, or suggestion on SDK, If you have a question about one or more of the scripts SephirothSpawn or Near's Test Bed then use the RGSS Support Forum

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:51 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Do SDK-compatible scripts require SDK to run?
If they are SDK designed scripts ie. using methods specialized by the SDK, then yes.
What is the advantage of using SDK for a scripter like myself who would be able to solve script conflictions very easily?
The guidelines : the general guidelines alone can help improve coding. The new SDK in progress will divide the SDK into 4 parts (I am working on the last 1).

Part 1 focuses on the SDK module itself such as logging, error fixes in the default scripts, and a Scene_Base class that I created helping manage objects updating and disposal automatically.

Part 2 focuses on all the non-scene classes, allowing you to focus on smaller sections of larger methods. Making everything easy to alias and such.

Part 3 focuses on converting all default scenes to be child classes of Scene_Base.

Part 4 which I decided to do today and is completely optional, but divides all scene input commands into a module (the names) and allows every command to have its own method for execution. This will allow easy command manipluation, rather then complicated work to get around it.

Finally, how would I go about de-SDKing a script if I didn't want to use SDK?
Working backwards. Mostly, taking some method that was aliased and re-work it back into the original classes. Such as:

Expand to see the code.

Something of that sort, but can be more complicated since some alias calls are stacked and such.

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Top Top

rataime
  Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:19 pm
Sponsor

Yep, a massive amount of work seems to have been included in this SDK, and it does well what it promises.

I remember, when 2 years ago I proposed to Near Fantastica a common way to read parameters from an event comment, before leaving the forums due to health issues... You sure have made something truly great.

Well, if I had to make a proposal for a further extension, I think it would be automatic generation of an error report, using the alias/script log and set_trace_func, so you can send it to the author of the script(s) which have failed.

Oh, and F12 still freeze the Graphics in 2.2. But you already knew that :)

EDIT : It seems that nobody is using event_comment_input, not even you in your scripts ! Well, I must admit that, even with the documentation and the code, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with the function...You maybe should change it to the de-facto (and pretty good, I think) standard which is Name_of_script|arg1|arg2

Last edited by rataime on Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

trebor777
  Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:36 am

About the Complete version, which Include everything...As it's a complete version, would it be possible to have a "cut" version of it, let me explain:

Instead of having the modification of a class in, for example, Part 2,
and a different one for the same class in Part 3
to have only 1 modification which include everything?

For example
class Scene_Menu at line 4253
and
at line 8772

Would be easier for some people like me to see everything, instead of going up and down constantly to check something in a class,
I also think it'll save some memory and loading time as well.

Thanks

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:35 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Are you talking about including things like Game_Map#setup, Sprite_Battler#update, etc. all individually? I was thinking about doing that with 2.4. Just need to talk to Trickster about it and stuff.

Top Top

trebor777
  Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:48 pm

hum, not exactly...Don't really see what you mean.

In the v2.3, complete,
there are at 2 different "places", modification to 1 class.... I was thinking of a Complete version , where all the modification to 1 class, are at the same place.....

instead of :
Expand to see the code.

Having
Expand to see the code.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:50 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Ok. Well, that happens even more in the 2.4 version, because we are (or I am I guess) working on adding individual parts. If you enable Part 2, all parts in 2 go enabled, or you can enable Part II-Game_Map#update for just the update method branch being included. This allows more users to use the SDK than even the Part split.

I don't think multi-class definitions are really a bad thing, as long as each part is labeled appropriately.

But I will see what is the easiest when I get this finished up.

Top Top

dog199200
  Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:22 am

Excuse me but where can I find the new SDK?

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:56 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

The main post has the most recent SDK version. The new SDK will be up no later than the 20th, probably much sooner.

Top Top

dog199200
  Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:40 am

i cant get it to work right... the filing is different with Vista....!!!! I HATE VISTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can you possible help me it says 'no such file RCA Hidden Files/The RMXP Standered Development Kit 2.3'

Top Top

Juukkaa
  Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:30 pm

RSC require scriptlink don't work

Top Top

tibuda
  Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:40 pm

I don't know why, but the auto-update/auto-dispose tools are not working very well with Selwyn window class.

EDIT: I've found it! I added a disposed? method to Selwyn's class.

Last edited by tibuda on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Khengi
  Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:18 am

Yeah, the link to the Rsc require won't work >_<

Top Top

Kingo64
  Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:18 am

I need the link!

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:31 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

http://www.rmxpu.net/owai/scripts/rsc_require.txt

Top Top

Shadownian
  Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:21 am

Im new here guys...im looking to get a script to change my title screen around so I can have like an intro before the menu pops up....now is this something I should add first...or is it just if you really know what your doing with code and all?
Thanx

Top Top

mephisto
  Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:22 pm

mmM...depend, all the Custom scripts go after the SDK.

SDK
NONSDK SCRIPTS
SDK SCRIPTS.

And for the script, if that script (the intro script) if you don't have a SDK version, sephirothspawn made one, you can see in his Testbed.

Luck!

I am
http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/5659 ... ve2rz3.jpg[/img]

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7425/dibujotg6.png[/img]
This is my signature, beautiful not?...i made them with my owns hands..
[URL=http://planetarpg.com

Top Top

punched2death
  Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:49 pm

I seem to get an error saying that RSC Hidden Files/The RMXP Standard Development Kit 2.3 can't be found? Have I done something wrong? I followed all the instructions... it says something about line 22, the require file or something...
Edit: Sorted, don't worry.

Last edited by punched2death on Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Samhatake
  Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:09 am

Im a noob with scripts and I tryed to install SDK and it says
"Script 'SDK' line 1867 Typeerror Occured
Undefined Superclass 'Window_Selectable"
When I start the game...Why is that?

Top Top

alexanderpas
  Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:09 pm
Sponsor

(note: this was for sdk 2.3, will look if sdk 2.4 has been changed...)

As the SDK 2.3 thread has been closed (probaly due to the spam...), and i'm having some suggestions for it.... I made this thread... :tongue:

I seem to be working on some script, and i tought of some nice additions for the SDK
To add the mapname to the properties of the corresponding map.

To split the X-axis and the Y-axis of the display centering

Game_Player.check_event_trigger_there (Advanced Branch)

Game_Screen.weather Improvement

Game_Screen.update (Branched)

Game_Picture.update (Branched)

Game_Battler.skill_can_use? (Branched)

(request to mods: please remove all post that are asking on how the SDK works and also the "I'm having a problem with the SDK" posts.)

Last edited by alexanderpas on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

OS
  Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:10 pm
OS is not an ambiguous acronym. It is a way of life.
Sponsor

Suggestions, huh? Well, I have a thought, but it is on how you wrote the first suggestion; instead of putting the Map Infos in a global variable, you could put them in Game_Temp. After all, the data you pull from it is saved in Game_Map, which is saved in Scene_Save. This way, you wouldn't have to load map infos every time you Continue a game, only when you Start a New One.

So, maybe $game_temp.map_infos?

Just a thought. Good luck.

~Owen Sael

Now taking requests. Written works, programs, games, lessons, whatever. Pricing negotiable.

Top Top

alexanderpas
  Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:45 pm
Sponsor

OS wrote:
Suggestions, huh? Well, I have a thought, but it is on how you wrote the first suggestion; instead of putting the Map Infos in a global variable, you could put them in Game_Temp.
I tought abou that too... however,first of all, I tried to keep it consistent with the other files that get loaded.
secondly... Game_temp is NOT the place to store all that info about maps, it is supposed to just store pointers, names, switches, id's etc.

OS wrote:
After all, the data you pull from it is saved in Game_Map, which is saved in Scene_Save.
you're wrong about that, currently only the current name of the current map get's saved in your savefile (can be used for example on the load screen or any other use I haven't tought about) wich I consider very efficient, also you can't read that directly from $data_map_infos[@map_id].name as that name might have additional flags which be removed by the setup_map_name method.

also, the $data_map_infos doesn't get stored into the savegame leaving the footprint as minimal as possible.

OS wrote:
This way, you wouldn't have to load map infos every time you Continue a game, only when you Start a New One.
Also not true, everytime you get to the Scene_Load, Game_Temp get's flushed, so it doesn't matter where it resides. (based on this point only, see above point too)

OS wrote:
So, maybe $game_temp.map_infos?
or maybe not ;)

OS wrote:
Just a thought. Good luck.

~Owen Sael
Thanks for your comments.

Top Top

OS
  Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:47 am
OS is not an ambiguous acronym. It is a way of life.
Sponsor

Sorry. Wasn't thinking. Generally I try to convince people to use Game_System, but I didn't think it would work, because I was a bit confused about the whole saving mess. I've been working too much in C#, me thinks.

Well, if I can think of anything more productive, I'll be sure to post. Peace!

~Owen Sael

Now taking requests. Written works, programs, games, lessons, whatever. Pricing negotiable.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:13 pm
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

The SDK has been updated to version 2.4!

Any old versions of the SDK may be removed completely. We will probably be not using the RSC require method, simply because its a headache for people to get to use. So from here on out, you get one big script (over 10000 lines, go us!).

Let me know if I made any mistakes, as I haven't had a lot of time to review this yet.

Last edited by SephirothSpawn on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:10 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Sorry alexanderpas. I did not see your post when I did the update. I will update to 2.5 next month and look through your suggestions.

Top Top

vgvgf
  Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:48 pm

Nice to see this project stills going, and there is a new version, but what's new on 2.4?

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:32 pm
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I'm curious as well what is new in 2.4, and also in the alluded to 2.5.  Just visiting to check up on script development, and I see the SDK's been updated.  I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but when I got SDK 2.3 I was very pleasantly surprised by the vast improvements since earlier versions which I criticized.  The auto_update and auto_dispose in SDK::Scene_Base (and SDK::Scene_Base itself) are extremely useful, as is Window_HorizCommand (though I swear I made Window_SideCommand first, this doesn't seem to be at all based on my work...) and several other SDK functions that have got me using it quite a bit in my recent programming.  I have some ways that I've taken advantage of the SDK that I can share here...

First is that I've changed all of the Scene classes in my project except for Title and Map (and those I haven't gotten to yet) to Layer classes, which are of my own design.  With a couple of small changes to SDK::Scene_Base I created the @layer variable which, when != nil, ceases further updating of some of the Scene's functions (like window or $game_player updates) and instead update the Layer, which is a new class based on SDK::Scene_Base.  I believe Layer_Base could be merged into SDK::Scene_Base as well, though I haven't seen a need to do it quite yet, and in any case I've added functions to the beginning and end of the class for animation purposes which might do well to be added to Scene_Base but aren't required since one doesn't have to update half of the parent scene when there isn't one.  The main functionality of this is that events on the map continue to move around behind the menu.  It's just a bit of an idea, if you're interested I could provide all of the code that defines my Layer classes.

The other thing that the SDK has helped with (somewhat) also heavily involves MACL, so it probably isn't something to be added in the SDK.  What it is is a transformative mouse control for all Window classes.  The reason it would have to be part of something like the SDK is that in order to make the cursors in a window follow abnormal structures (as in anything not defined by Window_Selectable automatically) one has to alter def fill_ind_box instead of def update_cursor_rect because the latter also accepts mouse control.  @ind_box is an array of the cursor rects for each index of the window which is defined by fill_ind_box, which is normally a for loop but could simply be @ind_box = [...]

But I'm probably just bragging about all that, I doubt you would want to implement either of them since they alter the functionality of the game instead of just the way it works.  It would be nice if there were some functions for Scene animation though, so if you're at all interested in my ideas for that please email me at meustrus@rpg-palace.com (since I'm not around here incredibly often)

And thanks again for the great functions you've added since 1.x!

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:10 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Glad you like the updates Mewsterus. I have tried to do as much as possible to make this able to be used be as many developers as I can. Even on my own projects, I stick the SDK even with re-writing nearly every class in the game.

I would be interested in seeing your Layer class you are talking about. I did make this: http://www.rmxpu.net/owai/scripts/mouse ... indows.txt

That enables most windows to use the mouse script with eachother. I did have an addition that would read the Input.trigger?(Input::C) when the mouse button was pushed as well, and could be disabled where choosen. I will probably throw that into the next MACL, as it is more of a library addition as opossed to a rewrite, which is mostly what the SDK is.

I am always open to suggestions. Many people have contributed some rather nice ideas, which has lead to what it is. As much as I would like to take all the credit for it, it's other ideas that have played a fair share in the role of where the SDK is.

Top Top

Blizzard
  Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:16 pm

May I suggest something? I noticed an unusual behavior of RMXP when it has to handle a script with 10000 lines or more in one slot. I doesn't point to the correct line number when encountering an error. I'm not sure which number of lines is needed for that to happen, but I assume it to be 10000 since the line count on the left side of the script editor window doesn't go over 9999. I suggest that you split the SDK into several file as you did with earlier versions. It helped my scripts to work normally, it should help the SDK as well. :)

What that is? Affection area for flails. - Blizz-ABS, the ultimate ABS

Top Top

Robot
  Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:01 pm

Can this be used with VX too?

Top Top