Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
    SephirothSpawn
  Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:55 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

After seeing like 10 version of people and their Table classes, decided to simply this. Maybe I am just under thinking Tables, but I think people are over complicating them. So here is what I just came up with:
Expand to see the code.

It doesn't do anything special at all. It's just a wrapper of the Hash instead of an array. Supports unlimited dimensions (actually, all it does create a bunch of keys).

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Top Top

kyonides
  Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:01 am

Here there are some silly but still useful methods for Sprite and Scene_Base classes...

Expand to see the code.

Expand to see the code.

Normally, Sprite class wouldn't allow you to define the x and y coordinates while initializing it, so you would need to do something like this...

@sprite = Sprite.new(viewport)# if needed, otherwise don't include viewport
@sprite.x, @sprite.y = 0, 0

...but the last line would be different if you include the method I posted above...

@sprite.x_y(0,0)

It'd be just easier to setup the coordinates.

The exit? method is just a simple way to include the Cancel button in any scene script in the main update method so now we don't need to include the same 4 lines in every single script but just a single method call to exit to Scene_Map.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:36 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

I like it. However, I kinda prefer a mixin for any class with x & y.

Expand to see the code.

I do like the exit update as well, however I suggest making it update_exit as methods with a ? typically only return true or false and do not have processing in them.

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Top Top

kyonides
  Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:38 am

Right, or I could call it exit_scene_update or anything else. I forgot about the '?', I know I shouldn't have included that...

Well, then it'd also be a good idea to include this...

Expand to see the code.

Well, it could also be named w/o any = sign in between. That would be a good method to get rid of some inactive command menu for a while.

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:03 am
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
SephirothSpawn wrote:
After seeing like 10 version of people and their Table classes, decided to simply this. Maybe I am just under thinking Tables, but I think people are over complicating them. So here is what I just came up with:
Expand to see the code.

It doesn't do anything special at all. It's just a wrapper of the Hash instead of an array. Supports unlimited dimensions (actually, all it does create a bunch of keys).

That's probably faster than all those complicated things, too, since Hash is actually faster than Array. What is missing, though, is a _dump and _load method that understands the Marshal serialization format of the built-in class. Those methods would be extremely useful for anybody trying to write an editor replacement.

Oh, and hi Seph.

Top Top

kyonides
  Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:55 am

Today I bring you 2 new (very similar) methods for the Array class.

Expand to see the code.

I know I configured it to create 2 separate instance variables, but you can use a single one instead, i.e. @pos instead of @next and @prev but it may work in a very different way than I'd expect.

Examples:

a = [1,4,9,7,5,2,4,8,9]
a.next #=> 1
a.next #=> 4
# a few extra lines in between
a.next #=> 9
a.next #=> 1
a.next #=> 4

The same would be valid for the "previous" method.

a.prev #=> 9
a.prev #=> 8
a.prev #=> 4

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:36 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

I really like that kyonides. Neat little idea to keep track of current index and provides a uniq way to pass through array objects.

Ok. While working on a Resolution System, I realized I had to redo the Graphics.transition effects process. So I made a little tool that transforms one bitmap into another (right now, just for sprites, but can be made a mixin pretty easily).

Expand to see the code.

It is slow because it passes through each pixel for each time for each frame it undergoes the transition. I tried keeping a list of pixels to skip if they have been set (x/y coordinates) but that actually slowed it down significantly. The best thing I could do is add a min_d value, and only continue to pixel mods when it was between the min_d and max_d variables.

The algorithm I came up was pretty simple: each pixel is given a "d" value (why I choose name d, just because) from 0 to 255. The d is equal to

(red + green + blue) / 3.0

It finds the average rgb on a 0 to 255 scale

The original bitmap must be duplicated to prevent modifications to the bitmaps stored in RPG::Cache

It passes through each pixel on the transition bitmap and gets the d value. If the d value if set for the current frame (between last frame "d" and current frame "d", where frame "d" = 255.0 / @frames * frame), it gets the target bitmap pixel at same position and sets it on the old bitmap as the same position.

EDIT: If you want to see a sample:
Expand to see the code.

Just press Alt on the title screen.

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:59 am
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
That looks good, Seph. Have you tried the User32 mix-in module I made? Speaking of which, I've made some additions to it that make SetWindowLong that much more useful:

Expand to see the code.

Example usage (using the SetResolution dll by Selwyn which is defined as constant Set_Res):

Expand to see the code.

But I'm here to add a feature to RGSS that was thankfully built into RGSS2: Sprite#viewport=. It was actually rather difficult, and the process of changing viewport is time-consuming (as it has to create a new sprite and copy all of the attributes over) but this solution should drop in with only minimal hit to resources:

Expand to see the code.

What that does is it copies the Sprite class into Sprite::Binding, then proceeds to rewrite all of the Sprite methods to redirect to a @_binding object created at initialization! It really does work, even with classes which extend the Sprite class. Just make sure you put that code at the top, before anything that makes a Sprite, or the Sprite created before this code will fail.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:26 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

I like the User32 module. The only thing I do differently is rather than creating constants, I create methods instead that send api arguments and call arguments to a method within a parent API module that creates Win32API objects and lowers amount of API calls (and multiple constants sharing the same method.

Expand to see the code.

Essientialy, rather than have

User32::Method_Name.call(args)

API::User32.method_name(args)

But love all the neat little constants. I tried looking for them myself, but that was back when I really wasn't into API all that much.

Love the sprite#viewport= binding. I almost did that same thing as well without the binding aspect, but your way is hella sexy. Very nice.

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:42 pm
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I kind of like that idea for an API module. And you are wrapping that with individual functions like User32.SetWindowLong(args) and User32.FindWindow(args)? I guess you are since I see that in your hwnd function. I would still prefer to define HWND once as a constant, though.

I've gotten into the habit of using certain functions instead of others due to "performance" reasons, such as using object.nil? (presumably defined as def nil? ; false ; end in Object and overloaded in NilClass as def nil? ; true ; end) instead of object == nil (which presumably checks nil values first, but it's a much larger function that tends to get overloaded in other objects, some of which might have forgotten to check for nil values if they're particularly stupid). Another is to not use "return" on the last line of a function. It's stylistically consistent with most of the rest of the Ruby world, though I can only speculate as to whether it's faster or not.

I found this file that has a lot of Windows constants defined. There are a lot of constants in there I haven't added yet, because I haven't needed to use them yet. It's not like this is some kind of comprehensive User32 wrapper class that defines everything you might ever possibly need. It does the stuff that one might need to messing with the game window, the mouse, or the keyboard.

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:45 pm
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I feel special, and you should too! I've written a Table class which is designed specifically to replace the built-in Table class, right down to the ability to Marshal.load the data that came out of RMXP or anyplace else that only knew about the built-in class. I would like to thank my hex editor (0xED for Mac) for making this possible.

Expand to see the code.

As a plus, it works as a table for non-integers as well, in which case its Marshal dumping and loading go back somewhat to normal in order to accommodate non-integers.

Note that in the _dump function, 0x01 and 0xD2 are inserted in the size section. These are values that were part of the result of Table's original dump function, though I could not discern their purpose besides filling space. 0x01 is just filler. I'm using the space where 0xD2 is to determine the load type, so all that's important is that that value is NOT 0x00.

Last edited by rey meustrus on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Flickayy
  Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:49 pm
Coding ninja~
Sponsor

Thanks Rey, this is going to help me out allot. I've spent hours searching for a way to do this, and here it is, perfect :thumb:

Unity3D developer, and #1GAM participant.

Last edited by Flickayy on Fri May 07, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:40 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Nice rey. Beat me to it. I was going to work on the _dump and _load methods to what I posted above, but looks like you took care of it. :thumb:

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:17 pm
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Oh, so you're saying it would have gotten done anyway? I guess I've come to expect that certain things like that I have to do myself if I want them done, especially given that most of the best scripters aren't around anymore...

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:55 pm
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

It's always better to do things yourself rather than waiting on someone. Its why I learned to script lol. And we still have a great community of talented scripters. :cheers:

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:10 pm
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

I came up with some pretty cool method modifications for the Hash class that allows you to read and set multi-dimensioned hashes without the work it had before. It also allows you to use classes with [] and []= methods.

Expand to see the code.

# Reading m-d hashes
a = {1={2=>{3=>1, 4=>2}, 1=2}, 2=>{3 => 4}}

a -> {1={2=>{3=>1, 4=>2}, 1=2}, 2=>{3 => 4}}
a[1] -> {2=>{3=>1, 4=>2}, 1=2}
a[1, 2] -> {3=>1, 4=>2}
a[1, 2, 3] -> 1
a[1, 2, 4] -> 2
a[1, 1] -> 2
a[2] -> {3 => 4}
a[2][3] -> 4

# Setting m-d hashes (if dimension is not found, creates hash)

a = {}
a[1, 2] = 4
a[1, 3] = 2
a[2, 4] = 6

a -> {1 => {2 => 4, 3 => 2}, 2 => {4 => 6}}

# Checking if m-d has a key

a = {1 => {2 => 4, 3 => 2}, 2 => {4 => 6}}

a.has_key?(1, 2) -> true
a.has_key?(1, 4) -> false
a.has_key?(2) -> true
a.has_key?(2, 4) -> true
a.has_key?(2, 3) -> false

Why I haven't come up with this modification years ago when every script I created had m-d hashes for setup is beyond me, but oh well. No more

Expand to see the code.

Top Top

kyonides
  Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:24 am

Seems to be useful.

BTW, here's a simple non GUI dice rolling script.

As a class...
Expand to see the code.

Then you call it like this...

@dice = Dice.new # Returns #<Dice:0x85ee24c>
@dice.roll 2, 6 # Possibly returns [2, 5]

As a Module...
Expand to see the code.

Then you call it like this...

Dice.roll 2, 6 # Possibly returns [2, 5]

Top Top

kyonides
  Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:54 am

Here's my second add-on for the Array class. It might look kinda repetitive, but you may chose to use just some of these method if you like.

Warning: include_one? method won't work in Ruby 1.8.1, the one included in RGSS 1 and 2. You'd need to create a one? method of your own.

Expand to see the code.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:29 pm
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

I like the Dice roller. Perhaps a more general name for it could be used for generating random numbers vs. just dice rolls. It could serve more purposes than dice rolling.

--------------

While working on the mouse module, I decided to make a little Button class that basically uses proc objects to perform actions when the mouse if hovering over an area (or not hovering), when the mouse is clicked (left or right) over an object. Infinitely useful for games with Mouse as part of their system.

Expand to see the code.

Required classes:
Expand to see the code.

Right now you can create 3 types of buttons; Rectangle, Circle or Bitmap; which basically just define a region the mouse must be within. The first two are pretty straight forward and just use some geometry. The Bitmap button lets you set a bitmap object that it uses to check pixels. The mouse must be over a pixel with a alpha value over 0 to be considered hovering. Its also uses the Rect button as a parent to first check if the mouse is within the bitmaps area.

Testing them out now making a Sphere Break minigame.

Top Top

Gust
  Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:07 pm

SephirothSpawn wrote:
I like the Dice roller. Perhaps a more general name for it could be used for generating random numbers vs. just dice rolls. It could serve more purposes than dice rolling.

--------------

While working on the mouse module, I decided to make a little Button class that basically uses proc objects to perform actions when the mouse if hovering over an area (or not hovering), when the mouse is clicked (left or right) over an object. Infinitely useful for games with Mouse as part of their system.

Expand to see the code.

Required classes:
Expand to see the code.

Right now you can create 3 types of buttons; Rectangle, Circle or Bitmap; which basically just define a region the mouse must be within. The first two are pretty straight forward and just use some geometry. The Bitmap button lets you set a bitmap object that it uses to check pixels. The mouse must be over a pixel with a alpha value over 0 to be considered hovering. Its also uses the Rect button as a parent to first check if the mouse is within the bitmaps area.

Testing them out now making a Sphere Break minigame.

I think a better approach than subclassing for each type is creating an "area" attr that can be set to a Bitmap or to an object with method "inside?(x,y)". If the area is a bitmap, you treat it as a bitmap, otherwise just call the inside? method. That way you can change the button "type" anytime.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:23 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Not a bad idea, never thought of it.

Expand to see the code.

I like it.

Top Top

Gust
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Hope you won't mind, I remade that Button class, I think my version is easier to use.. you just set the "area" attribute with something that has and "inside?" method, or "x" and "y" methods and a "get_pixel" or "width" and "height", or even anything with a "bitmap" attr that can be used to get the pixels.
That is, the area could be a Sprite, a Bitmap with extra "x" and "y" methods, a Rect... or if you have another kind of shape that should use a specific algorithm, you just define the "inside?(x,y)" method for it.

Expand to see the code.

And here's a little test scene for it:
Expand to see the code.

Just put something that looks like a button at the Graphics dir with the name "btn.png" and another (different) one with the name "btn_hov.png" to see the hover effect. There's no cursor sprite so you can't test it properly in fullscreen, but hey, it's only an example :P

If you want to add this to the MACL or that HBGE project of yours, I'd be honored :biggrin:

PS: would you review my RGSS Web Kit script, please? XD

Last edited by Gust on Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:35 pm
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Hmm... The only thing is that Bitmaps don't have a x or y instance, and that's only the thing.

The extra methods and differences I have are all control. If you turn a button off, you shouldn't still be hovering and it should call the off_hover method. Which called for the method for setting the hovering instance, to avoid that being in both the update and active= methods. I also kept the area and bitmap different for a speed thing. An extra instance, but relied more on the inside? method in the Rect class instead of checking the mouse position within the bitmaps area. This also allowed Buttons with a bitmap to have a :x and :y instance by having a Rect area property. Slight differences, but I'll work on taking the best of the two.

I am also working on making a Mixin for this, so you don't have to initialize button objects. But instead Sprites with include a button mixin (will have to also rely on the src_rect) but will work without having to create sprites and buttons.

And sure I will take a look over your web kit. Mind you I don't know tons about web-related Ruby, but I can look and do some research while I look over it. At the least I can do is go over your coding practices and formatting. I'll take a look tonight sometime.

Top Top

Gust
  Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:24 am

SephirothSpawn wrote:
Hmm... The only thing is that Bitmaps don't have a x or y instance, and that's only the thing.

The extra methods and differences I have are all control. If you turn a button off, you shouldn't still be hovering and it should call the off_hover method. Which called for the method for setting the hovering instance, to avoid that being in both the update and active= methods. I also kept the area and bitmap different for a speed thing. An extra instance, but relied more on the inside? method in the Rect class instead of checking the mouse position within the bitmaps area. This also allowed Buttons with a bitmap to have a :x and :y instance by having a Rect area property. Slight differences, but I'll work on taking the best of the two.

I am also working on making a Mixin for this, so you don't have to initialize button objects. But instead Sprites with include a button mixin (will have to also rely on the src_rect) but will work without having to create sprites and buttons.

And sure I will take a look over your web kit. Mind you I don't know tons about web-related Ruby, but I can look and do some research while I look over it. At the least I can do is go over your coding practices and formatting. I'll take a look tonight sometime.

Well, anyone could add the x and y properties to Bitmaps, I thought someone could want to do that to avoid creating a Sprite =P But actually the main idea is to use Sprites.
And if you want a bitmap on the screen and have a button that reacts to an area of the bitmap (like <map> and <area> in html) you just put the bitmap on the screen using a Sprinte or whatever and use Rects (or classes implementing inside?(x,y), which by the way Rects don't) to define those areas. Of course, if you moved the Bitmap you'd need to move the areas together...

About running off_hover when deactivating the button, I just forgot that. Let's change the
Expand to see the code.

to
Expand to see the code.

And change the hover? method to return false whenever self.active is false.
I'll make those changes in my original post.

The mixin-button idea sounds a bit weird to me... maybe because I'm used to static languages =P

Top Top

berka
  Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:04 am
Proud to be French

here are some snippets of code:

Testing whether any key is pressed:
Expand to see the code.

Quote:
loop{break if Input.all_keys?}

Opening the web browser:
Expand to see the code.

Quote:
Net.openurl("http://www.hbgames.org")

Converting Array to Hash:
Expand to see the code.

val is the default value
Quote:
["key1","key2","key3"].to_hash(1)
=> {"key1"=> 1, "key2"=> 1, "key3"=> 1}

This one probably already exists.
Expand to see the code.

Quote:
3,14159265.round(3)
=>3,141

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:02 pm
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Well, what happens when Arrays have multiples of the same value? I think a .to_hash function should be with the indexes as keys, and objects as values. Otherwise some of the information will get lost. Additionally, you aren't just populating a Hash with multiple keys and same value.

Expand to see the code.

Top Top

kyonides
  Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:09 am

Here I posted a few contributions.

Expand to see the code.

To test it, use...

$game_switches[2] = true
p $game_switches[1..5]
p $game_switches[1..5].include? true
p $game_switches[1..5].which_is? true

You should see 3 popup windows with the results to those commands.

[hr]

Just in case you need to check if a number or range has always 0 modulus if divided by one or more divisors, here's a script that might help you perform this tedious task in a timely manner. The output would be an array with all the numbers that comply with this if any.

OK, OK, I admit it, it's a weird scriptlet.

Expand to see the code.

Script Call Examples:

(1..100).mods 0, 5, 7 #=> [35, 70] The only 2 numbers that leave no modulus behind.
70.mods 0, 5, 7 #=> [70]
60.mods 0, 5, 7 #=> []

Top Top

Yeyinde
  Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:55 am
Rubber Shark
Sponsor

A while ago I made a small extension to the Module class to allow quick writing of getter/setter methods for class variables. I used eval to create the method, so I rewrote the functions to not use eval.

Expand to see the code.

Top Top

regi
  Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:31 am
raptor king
Sponsor

A small problem I noticed was that RMXP did not recognize terrain tags from events with tileset graphics. This may get in the way of some complicated event system, so I figured I might post this to help others out.

Starting on line 299 of Game_Map, I modified def terrain_tag to include event tile checks. Replace with the code below:

Expand to see the code.

There may be errors with priority (I haven't delved deep into that area) but for general layered tiles it should work fine. Hope this helps, and feel free to comment on more efficient ways to rewrite, as it's probably not perfect.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:57 pm
The Third Man

Here's a little snippet to allow seperators in instances of Window_Command, effectively skipping the highlighting. Now I know that this could've been solved better, adjusting the index accordingly and all that, but for what it does compared to the amount of code it'd need, this is the better solution.

Expand to see the code.

Done in RMVX - no idea if it'll work in RMXP. For use without any credit whatsoever, of course.

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next