Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

DrakoShade
  Fri May 09, 2008 5:10 am

Self Variables
Version 1.0
By: DrakoShade

What it Does
This script adds Self-Variables (like Self-Switches, but more than two options) to your events.  Treat them like what they are--  a hybrid between Global Variables and Self-Switches.  Each event will only want to look at and modify its own, so you can make a single event that uses @self_variable[1], copy-and-paste it 50 times on 10 different maps, and each one of them will be looking at its very own @self_variable[1], for whatever internal conditional branches or page conditions you told the original to use.

Features
  • Number of self_variables not inherently limited.
  • Easy usage within events.
  • Each event page can use either a Game Variable or a Self Variable as a condition.

Script
RMXP

RMVX

Instructions
Installation
For RMXP: Paste above main.
For RMVX: Paste in the Materials section.

Usage
To call a specific self_variable from outside the event that owns it, use the following:
Expand to see the code.

For example:
Expand to see the code.
Event 3 on Map 1 would have its self_variable 2 modified by adding 1.  Hopefully, that makes sense.

This script was designed, however, to be made use of from within the event itself.  To call an event's self_variables from the Script command or the Script option of a Conditional Branch, it's much simpler:
Expand to see the code.

Thus, if Event 3 on Map 1 needs to add 1 to its Variable 2, you do this within the event
Expand to see the code.

In order to use a self_variable in place of a game_variable when determining page conditions, simply include the following comment on the page in question:
Expand to see the code.
Unfortunately, you cannot use both types of variable in page conditions.

Compatibility
Not even tested with SDK.  Compatibility doubtful.  For RMXP, not compatible with anything else that alters the refresh method of Game_Event.
For RMVX, not compatible with anything that alters the conditions_met? method of Game_Event.

To Do
  • SDK version of the RMXP script
  • Clean up code
  • Reformat post when I'm more awake.

Parting Comments
Both versions of this script worked through the testing I was able to do.  If errors creep up, please be specific about how you got them, and exactly what error you received.

Last edited by DrakoShade on Fri May 09, 2008 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Fri May 09, 2008 5:52 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Good work DS. I will be sure to post a few suggestions and how you could make this SDK compatible (minor edits) in a bit. Good to see you scripting. :)

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Top Top

Mary674
  Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Edit: Sorry, necropost -_-

Top Top