aphadeon
  Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:31 pm
1987-2023
Staff

Generic Townsperson
Theory's Greater Icons
Version: 2.1 release

Introduction

This script allows the user to change the size of their item and skill icons to any x and y size.   It also edits the necessary menus to support this.  I've also added the ability to have color-coded items. Icons have a backdrop now- the backdrop and the item name can be recolored by a simple element inclusion.

Features

Custom Icon Size
Larger Icons
Rectangular Icon Support
Menu Edits to Support Custom Icon Size
Item Rarity Highlighting

Screenshots

Screenshots

Demo

Download : Click here...

Script

Script

Compatibility Patches

Weapon Icon Animations

Instructions

Copy and paste the script (or use the demo).   Change the settings at the top to the X and Y size of your icons.   You can also set up the rarity colors and elements here.

Compatibility

This script will probably be incompatible with any CMS that uses draw_icon rather than draw_item_name. If you would like to suggest a compatibility patch, there's a good chance I can make it for you.

Credits and Thanks

Credits to SephirothSpawn and Glitchfinder.

Author's Notes

The new features : : I've added Icon/Text highlighting to support rarity, or anything else you want to do with it. Setup is at the top of the script. The demo shows it best. Also, there were a lot of problems with the old script- everything from the Battle Result window, which I forgot to fix, to the Shop windows, which I completely overlooked. And a couple pixel-off display problems.

These have ALL been addressed. The new functionality doesn't appear to have any bugs. If it does, please PM me immediately so I can take care of it. Enjoy!

Last edited by aphadeon on Sun May 17, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:08 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

You know me, I have to add suggestions. :p

Firstly, I suggest making a module to hold your icon size.
Expand to see the code.

No sense on filling up $game_system with instances that should not change.

Secondly, in case someone uses smaller icons, I suggest making a method in the Bitmap class to draw icons, but center them in in your icon area.
Expand to see the code.

It just finds the center and subtracts half of what the actual icon file size is on the x and y.

----------------------

I wouldn't make a new sub-class for your selectable icon commands. Instead, you can use something like this, that modifies just like you did, but modifies all selectable windows and each can customize with their own oh method.

Expand to see the code.

With that, you'll only need to re-write the refresh/draw_item methods in your Window_Item and Window_Skill classes.

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:24 am
BEWARE: Glitchfinder's sense of humor sucks.
Staff

Party Mascot

You're really working hard aren't you? I like this, it fills a request in the requests section, and is actually useful to more people than the requestor. Also, sorry about not clarifying when to use what kind of variables (and where to put them) while I was talking to you. Try looking in Seph's signature for a link to some general rules for Ruby scripting.

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

aphadeon
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:04 am
1987-2023
Staff

Generic Townsperson
Thanks as usual, Seph.  Changes will be made within the hour.

Edit:  What's wrong with Menu_EquipRight ?  It looks good to me, but it doesn't display past the window boundary when you scroll down.  Check the demo to see what I mean.  I'd like to get that fixed before reupload.

Edit 2:  Why is there no documentation available on modules?

Last edited by aphadeon on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Necro_100000
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:24 am

Intresting script. I have to give you props!

Our Official Website of the Dawn of Darkness Game and Team.
http://Www.dawnofdarknesshome.webs.com

Dawn of Darkness
We'll be come a real game company... Someday... Someday...

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:28 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Module.html

I'll take a look at your demo

Problem seems to be your Window_SelectIcon. Try updating with the selectable mod I gave you.

PS: Might want to check into Window_BattleResult

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Last edited by SephirothSpawn on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Necro_100000
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:32 am

:shock: Mods? Ya, that would make this a lot easyer. Probubly make the script run faster.

Our Official Website of the Dawn of Darkness Game and Team.
http://Www.dawnofdarknesshome.webs.com

Dawn of Darkness
We'll be come a real game company... Someday... Someday...

Top Top

aphadeon
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:37 am
1987-2023
Staff

Generic Townsperson
I was looking at the battle_result window earlier.  I'll get it too.  The problem with the selecticon- before I seperated the class I had wasted the time of making a whole f*cking cms where anything I select was 50px (was absolutely horrid).  still had the same problem though.
I can make the window bigger and it works- but for some reason it won't scroll down.

And thanks SOO much for the docs on modules- I had checked the help file, the link in your sig, and google and found nothing.  That helps.

@Necro- stay tuned- I've got a surprise for you with the next update.

I'll try to get everything fixed by tommorow.  Seph, I'm going to need your help with MLA.  I'll send you a PM explaining it.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:43 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

No problem. You might also want to increase your cursor height by 4, 6 or 8 more than your icon height. Otherwise your icon touches your cursor edges and doesn't look as appealing.

Top Top

aphadeon
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:02 am
1987-2023
Staff

Generic Townsperson
Okay, I've got everything fixed up- this script now works beautifully.
I'm designing an 50px icon pack to show off the true beauty of this script.  I'll have it done in a few minutes.
I've added a couple new features, such as backdrop.  Thanks SephSpawn.  I owe ya one.  Well, more than one by now...

Script update imminent.

Top Top

aphadeon
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:31 am
1987-2023
Staff

Generic Townsperson
Script works great.  I'll probably increase the cursor size tommorow when I get the icon pack done.  Sorry I don't have screenshots of the icon pack- but download it and check it out.  There's also a couple of my smaller scripts included in the demo- such as Load on Menu and Icon Backdrop (patched for Greater Icons).

Let me know what you think.

EDIT : :  I am too tired- I forgot Battle Result.  This will be fixed too.  Next update tommorow afternoon.

Last edited by aphadeon on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:39 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Ok. With the Window_Selectable I gave you, you don't have to define your @oh instance. You can just create a method called oh and return a value.

Expand to see the code.

-----------------------------------------

Second, try to over-write as few methods as you can. Like here (which this mod you don't need anymore since you can just create the oh method like instructed above):
Expand to see the code.

Unless I am wrong, the only thing you added was the added of setting an instance. When you do this, to make your scripts more compatable, use the alias_method.

Expand to see the code.

The users of your scripts will appreciate it.

--------------------------------------

Also, you only need to add modifications to a method. If you are adding to a method, then you need to have it in your script. Like here:
Expand to see the code.

That method can be remove. It's actually better to not include it because it could overwrite aliases previous scripts may have added to that method.

---------------------------------

Hope those little tips help you in the future.

Top Top

aphadeon
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 am
1987-2023
Staff

Generic Townsperson
lol thanks *again* seph.  I'll make the edits tommorow and upload w/the rest of the icon pack and the screenshots.  I'll get my scripting up to standards eventually.

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:01 pm
BEWARE: Glitchfinder's sense of humor sucks.
Staff

Party Mascot

theory wrote:
lol thanks *again* seph.  I'll make the edits tommorow and upload w/the rest of the icon pack and the screenshots.  I'll get my scripting up to standards eventually.

It takes a while to get up to standards, and some people never make it. On a side note, how'd you get that user bar?

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

zealex
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Oh! Been looking for something like this. Does this like just stretch the icons or can you really use larger icon files? Also, is it just for the default battle and menu system or like a "general" edit so you can use this in custom menu's etc?

If it's the last choice from both, I love you. :p

Edit: Forget I asked. Looked into it myself lol. Gotta love my laziness.
Doesn't work with my menu anyway. :(
Nice script nonetheless, will be useful to lots of people. :)

Last edited by zealex on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

aphadeon
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:23 pm
1987-2023
Staff

Generic Townsperson
The menus call the method independantly, unfortunately.  If you send me your battle and menu system, I can edit them to support this script.
I just found out that I won't be home today so the rest of the icon pack and the minor script updates will be done tommorow.

To answer the question, it does *not* stretch icons- you specify a maximum (cursor size) size and you can use any icon up to those dimensions.  Smaller icons (thanks to Seph) center themselves in the area, but do not get stretched.  See the demo for examples.

@glitch: I cheated.  figure it out.

EDIT: I am too tired to script anything.  Horrible day today. I'll do it tommorow.

Last edited by aphadeon on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

mercurygerman
  Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:38 am

Thank you so much!  I've been waiting on a script like this forever!

Top Top

JosephSeraph
  Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:39 am

Ummm..... e  in the battle, when you get to choose the foe for the skill, the skill window stays open and you can see nothing

Top Top

aphadeon
  Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:36 am
1987-2023
Staff

Generic Townsperson
Odd- I didn't have this problem.
Are you using a custom battle system?
If so (or even if not), if you'd trust me enough to share your project with me, I could fix it for you.
You can send it to theory@theorystudios.net .
If you're not comfortable with this, than I need to know what all scripts you are using, and I can attempt to recreate the problem and make a patch for you.

I still need to fix the Battle_Result window, too.
I've been slammed trying to raise funds for RPGA... I should have more time starting next week and get more scripting done.

Top Top

Ricoman
  Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:21 am
3D ambassador to RMXP

Hey Theory,
  Not to add a bunch more onto your plate, but I am having a problem with the equip window and the larger icons. Your demo was based on 50x50 tiles, and I need 60x60. I tried to adapt it to 60x60 but all it did was cause errors. If I start the game test, and go to Aluxes' equip screen, I get an error that crashes the game. It used to actually go there but the slection box was all screwed up and the sizes were messed up too
  Could I send you a copy of my demo so you can see what I'm talking about? I can't even fix it enough to get it to run...    ='(

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre.

~found on rmrk.net signature...kraft, I think?

Top Top

aphadeon
  Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:16 pm
1987-2023
Staff

Generic Townsperson
Of course.
theory @ theorystudios.net

Top Top

aphadeon
  Sun May 17, 2009 2:28 am
1987-2023
Staff

Generic Townsperson
Updated to version 2.1. Adds item rarity features, and fixes the whole slew of bugs I found. If anyone finds any new bugs from the new features (or sees something I missed), let me know.

Updated first post with new script/download/screenies.

Top Top

Ulqiorra
  Sun May 17, 2009 3:01 am

Wow, this is very useful. I'm working on a compatibility patch for my icon animations script right now.

Keep it up man^^

Top Top

RpgMaster9001
  Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:08 pm

I have been looking all over the internet for a script like this. I finally found one but I can't seem to get it running. In your instructions you say to copy and paste the script but to where? I have tried above main and below Scene_Debug (the usual). That has not worked, I really would like to use this script but I really need some help.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:14 pm
The Third Man

Quite obviously, the script has some formatting problems, likely through some form of database shifting in the past history of this board. Now I'm not sure if the A things are the only problem, but in any case, here you go with a quick-fixed version by search&replace:

Expand to see the code.

Of course, remember to disable the line count before you copy, otherwise you will get errors too. That, and try to understand some of the bare essentials of scripting before you mess with custom scripts...

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

RpgMaster9001
  Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:47 pm

I tried again with your fixed script. I had the same result, rpg maker will only properly display icons that are 24x24. You did not specify any location so I put the script in between main and scene_debug. The reason I want this script so badly is because there are so few icons in rpg maker. I found a amazing icon pack with over 100 icons but they are 34x34 and if I were to resize them there would be a great quality loss.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:51 pm
The Third Man

In that case, telling what exactly doesn't work is definately something required from here on. The only thing I can point you to otherwise is the settings on the top where you actually have to set the size of your graphics.
And yes, the copypaste location is correct as long as you don't have any additional mumbo-jumbo in your project that will mess it up. Did you try it really quick in a new project?

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

RpgMaster9001
  Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:51 pm

I have no other custom scripts added and yes I am using this for a new project. I'm not sure what is wrong I have no scripting experience what so ever. The problem seems that the script is not functioning at all. When I test the game my 34x icons are cut off, only the top left part of the icon shows. Is it possible that this script is not compatible with a certain version of Rpg Maker XP?

Top Top