Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Me(tm)
  Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:32 pm

Tilemap Script
version 1.2 /w autotiles

What's this?
This is another recreation of the hidden tilemap script. Different is maybe that this script runs as fast on a 500x500 map as on a 50x50 map. I took a new way into producing the graphics and threw in some time consuming functions to save cpu for bigger maps. So, what does that mean?

- Works with other Resolutions
- Works with animated autotiles
- Works with priorities
- Completely Commented  :bunny:

Oh, the load gets higher when you have: more animated autotile tiles/more prioritized tiles.

What's next?
What am I doing now? I am updating this script at the moment to:

- Incorporate Flash Data (and flashing as one or many sprites)
- Enable the use of the Three SingleXXX constants. Meaning less sprites thus more fps.
You can do it yourself, if you want, but let me release it - it feels like a milestone to get.
- I am also converting this to an dll at this moment :D
- A non-animating autotile on the second layer has a z lower then a normal-tile on the first layer. an autotile on the thirth layer has a z higher then anything on the other layers.

What's new?
Ok, this script differs from others by creating a bitmap of the size BitmapRect which is in the script. By default this will be the WindowRect (viewport) size plus a buffer size, where 1 tile each way is recommended (Set by BitmapWindowOffset).
Why all this shit you might ask - well I can tell you: What I did was only drawing those tiles visible and redrawing it every step. Whoaha, but that is time consuming? Yes, therefor I only draw the NEW tiles! It saves a LOT of FPS.
Only the priority tiles and autotiles are drawn separately.

- AutotileLength determines the number of frames before an autotile get updated.
- KillOutScreenSprite kills any tile sprite outside the bitmap rect is set to true.
- EnableFlashingData enables updating the flashing data, but the methods are missing in this script

And I am working on SingleFlashingSprite and SingleAutotileSprite which create one single sprite layer rather then many different. This will save CPU if you have alot of autotiles on screen or lot of priority tiles on screen. But if you don't use a lot of Animated autotiles you are better of setting this to false in the next version.

version 1.1 - I tried to fix the positioning error (sprites don't move properly when skipping frames) [I fixed a part]
version 1.2 - I finally fixed the flashing sprites/not moving sprites error.

What can I do?
You can test the script, throw in the other tilemap scripts and evaluate the results. I would like to know when one is faster then the other.

Script
Expand to see the code.

Credits
Meâ €žÂ¢ obviously and I used the autotile index array from poccil's script - not sure who it was that created it in the first place...

Last edited by Me(tm) on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:03 am
BEWARE: Glitchfinder's sense of humor sucks.
Staff

Party Mascot

Way to go! This looks pretty good. I was wondering when someone would come out with a hidden Tilemap that enables larger resolutions. Bravo! I always used SepirothSpawn's, but I'm definitely checking this one out.

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

Me(tm)
  Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:28 pm

Glitchfinder wrote:
Way to go! This looks pretty good. I was wondering when someone would come out with a hidden Tilemap that enables larger resolutions. Bravo! I always used SepirothSpawn's, but I'm definitely checking this one out.

Hey, I didn't actually TRY to do it with larger resolutions - but I suppose it works, looking at the way I scripted this bitch - However, do tell me how it works out.

Top Top

nowayskill
  Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:27 pm

Great Tilemap,
the map objects are flashing when i'm moving O_O

Top Top

Me(tm)
  Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:23 pm

nowayskill wrote:
Great Tilemap,

Flashing as in? I dunno, it seems that I do move the graphics, but when the graphical update comes before the movement, or the tilemap update gets skipped for whatever reason and the new psoitions of the sprites aren't processed yet, the bitmap moves and the sprites don't. Very weirdish. But I think I can reduce it - trying it now.

Edit: I fixed it

Also I tried other resolutions - it works fine if you change the viewport etc... (and especially: the ox and oy update in game_player)

Last edited by Me(tm) on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

nowayskill
  Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:32 pm

Me(tm) wrote:
nowayskill wrote:
Great Tilemap,

Flashing as in? I dunno, it seems that I do move the graphics, but when the graphical update comes before the movement, or the tilemap update gets skipped for whatever reason and the new psoitions of the sprites aren't processed yet, the bitmap moves and the sprites don't. Very weirdish. But I think I can reduce it - trying it now.

Edit: I fixed it

Also I tried other resolutions - it works fine if you change the viewport etc... (and especially: the ox and oy update in game_player)

thanks, your a really great programmer.
but l'll keep the original resolution.
damn this tilemap is awesome!

Top Top

Me(tm)
  Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:31 pm

I hope so - I don't know what it is compared to other tilemaps, because my computer is crappy.

Top Top

jonny chleevas
  Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:36 pm

Xp or VX?

Top Top

nowayskill
  Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:08 pm

Me(tm) wrote:
I hope so - I don't know what it is compared to other tilemaps, because my computer is crappy.

its much better, my friend changed his game resolution using your tilemap
and it's lag-free =)

Top Top

Me(tm)
  Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:56 pm

jonny chleevas wrote:
Xp or VX?

XP - but I will make you a vx too, after I looked at that structure.

Top Top

xykudyax
  Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:15 am

I hope this isn't a severe necroposting (as the original author is still working on the project)
if I'm wrong I'm really sorry please forgive me  :dead:
Error report!!
Runs very well, almost perfect indeed, but randomly crashs, when exiting from the menu most of the times (to be more specific) the Rgss player stops responding, don't know why (but I started using another script and it's ok now "rth script"...)

Hope this helps improving your script

Top Top

Me(tm)
  Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:42 am

It's not very much information, now is it :P. So what other scripts did you have, that might help the crashing?

Top Top