Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

BlueScope
  Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:16 pm
The Third Man

The first two ideas there'S nothing to say agains (other than you probably want to use a different word than 'terminate', which doesn't really mean 'script' ^^ but I like the ideas), however the third idea is not really potent in my opinion... what I see there is a second event-like language where you can access specific snippets to call directly... not practicable, as you have to learn them, and as they aren't in the default package, that's a necessary extra effort.
As for your short commands... I figure I've been the one talking to you about it for the last time: Readability is not about people reading through events of the finished game, which they may or may not do for reasons I don't wanna take guesses on.... it's primarily for you, the creator, or for your team. It doesn't matter how familiar your are with the custom commands - the time you need to write the commands out is not much more than the time you need to process it in your head, meaning if you look at something twice, it might've already been more efficient to spell it out.

Tbh, I don't really get why you chose Ruby/RGSS and RPG Maker as a platform... everything about those languages and programs aims to be simple, well-understandable and single-glance get-able. You're trying to get a tidbit of performance out of it, and maybe faster writing speed when creating your project, but seriously... working with stuff like 'vg' for party gold is (aside from the fact that writing appropriately is a thing you want to do in almost every programming language) definately not something you want to do in Ruby.
And before you bring Tricksters/Sephs/dubealex'/whoevers scripts as examples: Yes, they did it wrong, too.

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

gerrtunk
  Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:45 pm

BlueScope wrote:
The first two ideas there'S nothing to say agains (other than you probably want to use a different word than 'terminate', which doesn't really mean 'script' ^^ but I like the ideas), however the third idea is not really potent in my opinion... what I see there is a second event-like language where you can access specific snippets to call directly... not practicable, as you have to learn them, and as they aren't in the default package, that's a necessary extra effort.
As for your short commands... I figure I've been the one talking to you about it for the last time: Readability is not about people reading through events of the finished game, which they may or may not do for reasons I don't wanna take guesses on.... it's primarily for you, the creator, or for your team. It doesn't matter how familiar your are with the custom commands - the time you need to write the commands out is not much more than the time you need to process it in your head, meaning if you look at something twice, it might've already been more efficient to spell it out.

Tbh, I don't really get why you chose Ruby/RGSS and RPG Maker as a platform... everything about those languages and programs aims to be simple, well-understandable and single-glance get-able. You're trying to get a tidbit of performance out of it, and maybe faster writing speed when creating your project, but seriously... working with stuff like 'vg' for party gold is (aside from the fact that writing appropriately is a thing you want to do in almost every programming language) definately not something you want to do in Ruby.
And before you bring Tricksters/Sephs/dubealex'/whoevers scripts as examples: Yes, they did it wrong, too.

I dont know that scripters works that used this. I choose rpgmaker because is the better plattfrom for this, it have a interesting base features a and a lot of custom scripts of other people. I also know the work of these through old rpgmaker 95.

Note that at least for me using that command syntax wont be hard. Also, you have used linux command line? Its a lot like this system. And all in it is very small and have a lot of shortcuts and nobody cares about readibilty or whatever, no?

Top Top

BlueScope
  Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:11 pm
The Third Man

In all honesty, I don't think you're getting what I'm talking about... it IS possible to do what you planned, and you WILL find people using it, yes. That doesn't make it purposeful, good scripting practice, logical or smart. Your linux example is bullshit, as it's not only built-in stuff you're talking about (you don't hear me complaining about .to_s either), but also a completely different base model, as it's an OS, not a game project.

Either way, let's keep this to the topic... I can shut up if my input is not apprechiated.

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

ThallionDarkshine
  Sat May 26, 2012 3:55 am

So, I made an autosave system that saves whenever you change maps or enter the menu. I'll work on the description idea.

Top Top

PandoraShock
  Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:28 am
Programmer!

Sewer Rat

Mouse Map System anyone ?? :3 hue hue hue

Ill post demo and stuff on my blog soon :)

Top Top

Xilef
  Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:21 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I've been toying around with calling C functions from Ruby and it's just made RPG maker scripting a lot more accessible to me, stuff like 3D graphics in RM seems super easy to me now when C extensions come into the picture, so I'm confident enough to bump this thread with the idea of a new networking API.

My idea is to create Ruby bindings for my networking engine:
hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=896585

So in RGSS you can build game-focused network packets and fire them at a remote server which fires some right back at you.

That might encourage someone to make netplay++ or even simple stuff like RPG maker online item trading or a score ranking server.

Expand to see the code.

And when it comes to listening to packets:

Expand to see the code.

And in the main loop there is a call to the Network module to grab the latest packets and then call the listener methods with the first string of the command.

So it's like: If it's a reliable packet -> Extract command -> If listener exists for command "move_player" -> Call listener method for "move_player"

If anyone wants to expand on this idea, please do so!

Top Top

Zeriab
  Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 am
Hugging Lion
Sponsor

Nice idea Xilef :3
A 'freezing' occurs when you make a Win32API call. It doesn't matter if you have several threads running in RGSS, they will ALL be halted while the Win32API call is processed.
Yes, this really sucks and affects the design required for a responsive online rpg. My suggestion would be to create a DLL that acts as an interface between RGSS and your network engine.
It will start up a thread running outside RGSS, which will manage the connections, i.e. sending the messages and receiving them again. It will contain polling functions that you can use from RGSS to check for message and receive them in a fast manner. Sending messages be handled a similar indirect async manner.
There may be other ways around the shortcomings of the RGSS Win32API interactions though =o

P.s. I have updated the first post with the new ideas.

*hugs*

Top Top

Xilef
  Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:35 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Thanks for the tip, so you suggest moving even more stuff into the DLL side of things?

So if I had the DLL constantly building a list of latest commands on a thread and then RGSS's single command is "Give me list of commands" and then the command processing is done on RGSS side would that help?

The sending of messages reliably/unreliably could be built in a list on RGSS side and then all at once sent to the DLL too.

Would that setup reduce the effects of a thread lock? I may need to research a bit more into handling ruby in C code...

Top Top