Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Eilei
  Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:26 am
Sponsor

The old post with this script vanished into the ether sometime in the last two years, so here it is again.

Lockpicking Minigame Version: 1.0.0, for RMXP
By: Eilei

Introduction

The lockpicking minigame is a little script I slapped together a long time ago to teach myself Ruby. The game has a number of tumblers you need to get into place, and on the harder locks moving one tumbler can move another too. Successful completion of the minigame sets a switch of your choice to ON, so it's pretty easy to interact with from events.

Features

• Varying difficulties for different levels of play
  • Completely random boards, so no two games are ever the same*
  • Can interact with either global switches or event self-switches

Screenshots

Minigame on "Average" difficulty:

Demo

Link Dead

Script

script

Instructions (using the Demo as a base)

Editing
  1. Change the main background by swapping out Graphics/Pictures/lockpick_background.png for whatever you want.
  2. Change the audio file at Audio/BGM/lockpick_music.mp3
  3. Change the color of the tumblers by messing withGraphics/Pictures/lockpick_pins.png, but I don't recommend changing the sizes of the pins.
  4. Finally, change the minigame lock background colors by editing both Graphics/Pictures/lockpick_cylinder.png and Graphics/Pictures/lockpick_pin_background.png
  5. This script isn't otherwise very customizeable at the moment. Feel free to tinker with the number of tumblers per difficulty and such.

Usage

See the two chests for the two ways to use this script; one method puts the lockpicking result in a specified event's self switches, the other puts it in a specified global switch.

FAQ

None yet...

Compatibility

SDK 2.3 compatible

Author's Notes

I don't know what I have to do to make this SDK 2.4 compatible, but I will probably do so sometime in the near future.

Feel free to make any comments or suggestions.

Terms and Conditions

This script is released under GPL 3. Please list my name in the credits if you use this!

* There is a non-zero probability that two games may actually be the same.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:31 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

I am surprised this hasn't got any feedback considering I've seen probably 100 topics requesting just this. I can say I cannot actually offer any advice on your coding at all. It's perfect! Formatting, style, structure are perfect. Ok, maybe the only thing I would do different is making a lock picking module, placing all constants within that module, and making your class classes of your module, but that is all a personal preference for organization and in no way improves your code.

Fantastic code all around and really fun to play. Great script. :thumb:

PS: This will be compatible with any SDK version as long as it includes the SDK::Scene_Base class, as it appears it is the only aspect of the SDK this script relies on.

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Top Top

Eilei
  Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:52 pm
Sponsor

Thank you for your kind words. The script was pretty well-received the first time around; I think that there just isn't much call for RMXP scripts these days.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:33 am
The Third Man

While I agree with Seph that it's definately one of the better scripts on .org, I wouldn't really say it's perfect... most is personal preference as well, but since that doesn't count, here's something I think would be generally seen as redundancy:
Expand to see the code.
Overall, you have a lot of constants in there that I don't think need to be necessarily defined... shouldn't be much of a performance issue though.
But yeah, that is some nice coding you have there - especially if you "slapped it together" ;)

As for the XP script needs... it seems to me that RMXP is still the wider-spread maker out there, so that might not be the issue. Personally though, if I'd be looking for a lockpicking script and couldn't script it myself, I wouldn't take this one... just too non-realistic (who sees the lock in a cut-open perspective when picking? ^^).

Keep up the good work!

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

corleonis
  Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:34 pm
Cor Leonis

Party Mascot

download demo isnt working

Top Top

sattainon
  Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:43 pm

I'll def. look into having this...

Top Top

Brewmeister
  Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:09 pm
Paste above Main

lv 99 Balance Wizard

Blue, if you still have a copy of the demo, I can put it on the HBGames server & host it directly.

Top Top

carfonu
  Wed May 11, 2011 9:13 pm
Fanatic of hypothetical machines

Curses! Link's not working!

Top Top