Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Glitchfinder
  Mon May 31, 2010 2:39 am
BEWARE: Glitchfinder's sense of humor sucks.
Staff

Party Mascot

Key Input Module
Author: Glitchfinder
Version: 1.30

Index
    1 - Index
2 - Introduction
3 - Features
4 - Screenshots
5 - Script
6 - Instructions
7 - Method List
8 - Issues
9 - License

Introduction

Glitchfinder's Key Input Module is an advanced scripting tool that provides full scripted access to to check any and all keys on the keyboard, along with the ability to check if a key has been released. It is useful in the sense that it will not break the default Input module, and because it allows far more use of the keyboard than you would get from default RMXP. It also does not need to be updated, aside from the default call to Input.update that is used in most cases. It also does not break default scripts or events that use key input.

(Return to top)

Features
  • Check any key on the keyboard
  • Doesn't break the default Input module
  • Does not break events or scripts that call the default Input module
  • Automatically updated by the default Input module
  • Allows you to check to see if a key has been released
  • Doesn't use a .dll file
  • Works with foreign-language keyboards
  • Doesn't crash on F12
  • Has the unique Anykey function, not found in any other script
  • Can check a key's toggle state. (Not found in any other script)
  • Can check more than one key at a time!

(Return to top)

Screenshots

Since this script has no visual elements, a screenshot cannot be taken.

(Return to top)

Script

Expand to see the code.

(Return to top)

Instructions

• Place this script above Main, and below the default scripts. (I realize this is obvious to most, but some people don't get it.)
  • This module is automatically updated by the default Input module, which means that the only time you need to call the update method is in a scene that does not update the default Input module.
  • This module does not break the functionality of the default Input module.
  • If you wish to read keys from a gamepad, you must still use the default input module to do so.
  • To use this module, simply use one of the four methods (press?(key), trigger?(key), repeat?(key), or release?(key)), where key is the index of the key you want to check. Key may also be used as Keys::KEYNAME. For a list of acceptable key names, look below the header.
  • There is a key named ANYKEY. This key can be used like any other key, with the exception that, instead of corresponding to any one key, it reacts to them all. If you use it, and any other key would cause the same method to return true, then the ANYKEY will also return true.

(Return to top)

Method List

Keys.update
Updates keyboard input. Calls to this method are not necessary unless the
default Input module is not being updated.

Keys.press?(key)
Determines whether the button determined by key is currently being
pressed. If the button is being pressed, returns true. If not, returns false.

Keys.trigger?(key)
Determines whether the button determined by key is being pressed again.
"Pressed again" is seen as time having passed between the button being
not pressed and being pressed. If the button is being pressed, returns true.
If not, returns false.

Keys.repeat?(key)
Determines whether the button determined by key is being pressed again.
Unlike trigger?(), this takes into account the repeat input of a button being
held down continuously. If the button is being pressed, returns true. If not,
returns false.

Keys.release?(key)
Determines whether the button determined by key has just been released. If
the button has been released, returns true. If not, returns false.

Keys.toggle?(key)
Determines whether the button determined by key has been toggled. This
functions like Caps Lock, Number Lock, and Scroll Lock, only for all keys.

Keys.array_press?(keys)
Functions in the same manner as Keys.press?(), only it takes an array of
keys as input.

Keys.array_trigger?(keys)
Functions in the same manner as Keys.trigger?(), only it takes an array of
keys as input.

Keys.array_repeat?(keys)
Functions in the same manner as Keys.repeat?(), only it takes an array of
keys as input.

Keys.array_release?(keys)
Functions in the same manner as Keys.release?(), only it takes an array of
keys as input.

Keys.array_toggle?(keys)
Functions in the same manner as Keys.toggle?(), only it takes an array of
keys as input.

Keys.capslock?
Determines whether the caps lock key is toggled on. This will always return
true when the corresponding keyboard light is lit, and false when it is not.

Keys.numlock?
Determines whether the number lock key is toggled on. This will always
return true when the corresponding keyboard light is lit, and false when it is
not.

Keys.scroll?
Determines whether the scroll lock key is toggled on. This will always return
true when the corresponding keyboard light is lit, and false when it is not.

Keys.character_press
Returns the currently pressed key, if it would generate text input. If no such
key would register as pressed, it returns an empty string.

Keys.character_trigger
Returns the currently triggered key, if it would generate text input. If no such
key would register as triggered, it returns an empty string.

Keys.character_repeat
Returns the currently repeated key, if it would generate text input. If no such
key would register as repeated, it returns an empty string.

Keys.get_character(key, scan_code)
Returns the character forresponding to the given key. If no character is
recognized by the system, it returns false instead. This method is intended
for internal use.

Keys.validate_key(key)
Checks the validity of a key. If a key variable can be used by this module, it
will return true. Otherwise, it will return false.

(Return to top)

Known Issues

This script has trouble with certain foreign language keyboards, where dead keys are shift sensitive. Dead keys are used to insert diacritical marks such as an accent. However, the correct character can be generated with creative use of shift and caps lock.

(Return to top)

License

This script is licensed under the MIT License:

The License wrote:
Copyright (c) 2010-2014 Sean Porter (Glitchfinder) <glitchkey@gmail.com>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

(Return to top)

Play it now!

ImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Last edited by Glitchfinder on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:45 am, edited 12 times in total.

Top Top

Kain Nobel
  Mon May 31, 2010 3:18 pm
No Rest for the Wicked!

I haven't really had the chance to mess with this yet, but skimming through it, appears you've done an excellent job! What I like about this script is it's compact (compared to Aleworks/AWorks) but is down to the point, and the coding is very clean and easy to read. More importantly, as this is what I've stressed over with other input modules, you say that it doesn't interfere with gamepad functionality or default inputs, just gives you full keyboard support, which I like the most about this!

I plan to deticate a few days to test this script, and evaluate it against others of its kind. When I get a chance, I'll let you know if I've encountered any bugs (with yours) or if there is any functions that others' have which your's doesn't.

While its fresh on my mind...

Anyways, I'll be sure to check this out when I have a chance, I'm already excited you've went through with finishing and releasing this :thumb:

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Mon May 31, 2010 8:25 pm
Staff

Party Mascot

Thanks for the great comment! Regarding multiple key presses, it should support as many as your keyboard does. This script reads the state of the entire keyboard, instead of simply reading keys one by one. So, in theory, there shouldn't be a problem with more than one key at once.

Play it now!

ImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

berka
  Mon May 31, 2010 8:30 pm
Proud to be French

Nice, but I think your update method is complex. First your are initializing 3 new arrays each frame. You should create a class variable you clear on the update.
No credits for original creators ? Cybersam or NearFantastica I think.

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Mon May 31, 2010 9:23 pm
Staff

Party Mascot

berka wrote:
Nice, but I think your update method is complex. First your are initializing 3 new arrays each frame. You should create a class variable you clear on the update.
No credits for original creators ? Cybersam or NearFantastica I think.

Clearing the arrays would take just as long or longer than simply making a new array. The update method is complex because the Win32API I used doesn't actually give the current key state, but instead will change each key from a 0 to a 1 and vice-versa when it gets pressed. (As opposed to having a 0 when not pressed, and a 1 when currently pressed)

As for credits, why would they be needed? I coded this script from scratch, and the only similarities would be in the key numbers, which are determined by Microsoft, and were taken from the MSDN database. Admittedly, I'm not the first one to come up with the idea for adding the key.released method, but, once again, I coded mine from scratch, instead of relying on somebody else's code.

Edit: I just looked up both CyberSam's and Near Fantastica's Keyboard Input Modules. They are both wildly different from mine, and apparently both have well known problems that I have yet to see in my module. (For example, CyberSam's module has trouble reading the keys that default RMXP Input module can read) The closest module to mine, function-wise, is AWorks, but that uses a .dll file to accomplish all of this, and it breaks the default Input module, requiring fixes to events and other scripts.

Edit: I just tested this in RMVX, and, to the best of my knowledge, it works perfectly in both VX and XP. I have changed the script header and post icon to reflect this.

Play it now!

ImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:29 pm
The Third Man
[ranting about everything]

I just took a more in-depth look at it, and well... I really like what I see ^^ Despite the large introduction block I don't really see a necessity for (not saying it's not helpful, but compared to the additional filesize of your Scripts.rxvdata files, keeping the instructions in the topic or on the webpage would've been enough... that's only an opinion, though), I don't really see much going the wrong way... your documentation is quite exhaustive (maybe a bit too much... talking specifically about the 'return key state' comments - in my opinion, putting the 'return' in there is enough information on what's happening, and whoever reads that and doesn't understand it won't be too happy with the given comment either... too much commenting kills readability again), your coding is clean, the functionality is great (talking about non-DLL-requiring, however I think you also have some keys in there that aren't too usuable; for example the varying-by-keyboard ones... it's very minor though).
The only problem I really see is performance, as with that giant update method and the multiple arrays there, the Interpreter really has to take a punch on each keypress... now for the code I see, that shouldn't be too heavy, as you're not drawing stufff or anything, but I can imagine some input processing errors on an already exhausted Interpreter from processing other scripts... haven't tested this, though.

Keep up the good work! ...while I take a look at your Mouse Input script...

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:26 pm
Staff

Party Mascot

Thanks for the great reply, BlueScope! Regarding the header for my script, I will admit that it's probably too much. (Except the license. That bit's essential, in my opinion) However, it will soon be dwindling in comparison to the size of the script itself, once I get around to adding a few planned methods and releasing the next update.

As for the unusable keys, it's because they do exist on at least some keyboards, and a game will generally be localized to a specific keyboard, which means that the person using the script will be the one to determine what those keys do if they're not using a US 101/102 keyboard. (Note that most of those keys are labeled as OEM keys, because they vary from location to location. The keys specifically designated by name should always have the same ID, regardless of keyboard origin)

And finally, your comment regarding processing time. Believe it or not, pressing a key, ten keys, or no keys will not make a difference to this script. Specifically, this is due to the Win32API method I called. What it does is give me a map of all keys on the keyboard, by ID. I then go through the map, and use it to fill several arrays. And while some values do depend on recent actions, it won't make a difference because it checks the action for every key, regardless of whether it actually happened. I've tested for lag as best I could, however, my computer is far too powerful for me to test properly. (Which is one reason I like it when theory is active. He has several computers, including a couple at just the right power to be good for testing lag)

Play it now!

ImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

XeroVolume
  Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:47 am
Count me in.

Your syntax, commenting, and overall neatness is (in my opinion) excellent! I really appreciate commenting such as what can be found in your script... It greatly helps us beginning scripters learn more as we go along with ease. Please, keep it up!

Top Top

usr128
  Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:25 am

Hi,
I've used your KIM script in my game and it's helpful.. but i still confused in using it. I'm not very good in scripting. When i used it in my game then i created an event to input the player's name (i set the ID is 1). So far so good. but after that when i called the name of player in text command with \n[1] it showed nothing.. just blank text. Can you help me?
Thanks.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 pm
The Third Man

My guess is that you didn't save the name properly... it's meant to replace the @name variable in $game_actor, meaning to change the first (database-wise) actor's name, you'd have to set $game_actors[1].name, to set the first (party-wise) actor's name, you' have to use $game_party.actors[0].name or $game_party.members[0].name (depending on your RPG Maker version).

Either way, this won't be affected by the Keyboard module unless you did something unexpected... if you share your code, we can help you further (along with the RPG Maker version you're using).

Top Top

usr128
  Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:58 pm

Ah yes.. i'm using RPG Maker VX. After adding KIM to the script editor i created an event to input character name, i just using 'name input processing' command where i set the actor ID to '001' with max character was 6. Here's the screenshot:
The KIM has completely replace the default keyboard input, but the actor name is still not initialized yet after the command above was called. Is there something i miss?

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:20 am
Staff

Party Mascot

I'm pretty sure that my script wouldn't be causing the problem, since it never modified Scene_Name, which is the portion of the default scripts that control the actor renaming process. However, I'll edit this post as soon as I've tested to make sure.

All right, I just tested, and the name input processing works like it normally does, so it shouldn't be my script that was keeping it from working properly. Have you tried removing other scripts to see if they were the cause?

I just took a closer look at your event, and realized that you were initializing the actor when you added him to your party. That would reset the actor to the state he's in in your database, including resetting his name to a blank name.

Play it now!

ImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

usr128
  Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:19 am

Yeah, you're right. I write the initializing actor command before name input command, and it's working. Thanks for your help.

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:19 am
Staff

Party Mascot

All right. Gu574v0 forced my hand on this one, but I've had an update for this sitting around waiting for me to finish the header and post it. Has quite a bit in the way of new features, including the ones mostly superseded by Gu574v0's. My favorite is the Anykey. (For reasons obvious to any who hang out with me in IRC)

Play it now!

ImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

Gust
  Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:03 am

Glitchfinder wrote:
All right. Gu574v0 forced my hand on this one, but I've had an update for this sitting around waiting for me to finish the header and post it. Has quite a bit in the way of new features, including the ones mostly superseded by Gu574v0's. My favorite is the Anykey. (For reasons obvious to any who hang out with me in IRC)

Hey Glitch, your input module is my favorite. Nice work with the update. Yet, it ignored one key on my keyboard, with the ? and / characters, and it doesn't put together the accents with the letters (pressing ~ and A should type Ã). I should forgive you since English doesn't have any accents, but I have to show people my script isn't completely useless XD

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:29 am
Staff

Party Mascot

Gu574v0 wrote:
Glitchfinder wrote:

Hey Glitch, your input module is my favorite. Nice work with the update. Yet, it ignored one key on my keyboard, with the ? and / characters, and it doesn't put together the accents with the letters (pressing ~ and A should type Ã). I should forgive you since English doesn't have any accents, but I have to show people my script isn't completely useless XD

Odd. I know it handles the ´, `, and ^ characters in a German keyboard, and I set it to check for dead keys. I'll have to test further. As for the key it ignored, can you tell me what key it is, in my list of constants?

Play it now!

ImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

Gust
  Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:13 pm

Glitchfinder wrote:
Odd. I know it handles the ´, `, and ^ characters in a German keyboard, and I set it to check for dead keys. I'll have to test further. As for the key it ignored, can you tell me what key it is, in my list of constants?

It's the 0xC1 key. It's not on your list of constants. The trigger/press/repeat methods all react to it, though (I found the value of the key by making ANYKEY return the index of the pressed key).
My Keyboard layout is "Portuguese (Brazilian ABNT)".

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:14 pm
Staff

Party Mascot

Gu574v0 wrote:
It's the 0xC1 key. It's not on your list of constants. The trigger/press/repeat methods all react to it, though (I found the value of the key by making ANYKEY return the index of the pressed key).

Interesting. The reason it's not on my list of constants is because it's in a series of keys that Microsoft marked as Reserved. I'll add those keys to the list of constants, as well as the array to check for input. As for the ~ key, what does that respond to? (Note that you have to press a dead key twice to get it to print anything.) Also, is that key shift sensitive, or simply unresponsive?

Play it now!

ImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

Gust
  Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Glitchfinder wrote:
Gu574v0 wrote:

Interesting. The reason it's not on my list of constants is because it's in a series of keys that Microsoft marked as Reserved. I'll add those keys to the list of constants, as well as the array to check for input. As for the ~ key, what does that respond to? (Note that you have to press a dead key twice to get it to print anything.) Also, is that key shift sensitive, or simply unresponsive?

The ?/ key doesn't respond to the "character" methods any way, with or without shift and Alt-gr.
The all the accents key [~ ^], key [´ `] and key [6 ¨] give me the accent character (the shift status is taken into accout correctly), when pressed once, as if I have pressed the accent and then space.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:51 pm
The Third Man

Gu574v0 wrote:
The all the accents (...) give me the accent character (the shift status is taken into accout correctly), when pressed once, as if I have pressed the accent and then space.
Same for German keyboard mapping, however it does work when you press them at the very same frame (or very shortly after, resulting in , for example) for me. As you have different keys on your keyboard, would you mind testing that?

Top Top

Gust
  Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:27 pm

^, ~, ´ and ` work if I hold the accent key and then press the character. ¨ doesn't.
I'm using the character_trigger method. It returns the accent character once (when I press it), and then if I keep holding it and press the letter I want, it returns the correct character.
This works for ^, ~, ´ and ` but not for ¨ :huh:

Top Top

Toshi
  Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:36 am

Hi.
I'am new to rgss and i've got a question:
Can somebody give me a codeexample how to open with the letter "W" a common event?
I tried a

if keys.press?(0x57) then
print("Hallo Welt")
end

as a test but it gives me a error... :(

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:47 am
Staff

Party Mascot

Toshi wrote:
Hi.
I'am new to rgss and i've got a question:
Can somebody give me a codeexample how to open with the letter "W" a common event?
I tried a

if keys.press?(0x57) then
print("Hallo Welt")
end

as a test but it gives me a error... :(

What error did it give?

Anyway, what you would want to do is set it up with a conditional branch, go to page four, and place the following bit of code into the script box.

Expand to see the code.

Then you can proceed like it's a normal event.

Also, looking closer at what you typed, I can see why that would give an error. In Ruby, names are case sensitive, meaning that keys.press? would give an error while Keys.press? would not. If that wasn't your issue, I'm sure I'd be much more capable of helping once I know what the error message is.

Play it now!

ImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

Toshi
  Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Hey thanks a lot! It's working... Diden't know that it's case sensitive... I normaly code in vb.net...^^

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:34 am
Staff

Party Mascot

All right guys, I have a new version! Enjoy!

Play it now!

ImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

Zeriab
  Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:44 am
Hugging Lion
Sponsor

I highly suggest that you make it easy to customize the repeat delay and repeat rate which will be very helpful for people changing the framerate.
It would be more awesome if you read the user specified repeat delay and rate and then use that to figure out how many frames that corresponds to relative to the framerate.

*hugs*

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:26 pm
Staff

Party Mascot

Zeriab wrote:
I highly suggest that you make it easy to customize the repeat delay and repeat rate which will be very helpful for people changing the framerate.
It would be more awesome if you read the user specified repeat delay and rate and then use that to figure out how many frames that corresponds to relative to the framerate.

*hugs*

Actually, that's a really good idea! I'll put that in my little book of things to do.

Play it now!

ImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

instinct04
  Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:37 am

is it possible to change the picture of the mouse pointer?

Top Top

Brewmeister
  Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:01 pm
Paste above Main

lv 1 slime

instinct04 wrote:
is it possible to change the picture of the mouse pointer?

search for Amanda's (Lambchop, Amaranth) Commercial Game Kit,
or Shaz' Super Simple Mouse script

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:46 am
Staff

Party Mascot

I've just updated this script to a new version. The condensed changelog is below.

Version 1.30:
  • Removed redundant type-checks originally intended for safety.
  • Moved some repeated code into a new function: Keys.validate_key
  • Changed the license to the MIT license for better ease of use.
  • Tested to ensure functionality in RPG Maker XP, RPG Maker VX, and RPG Maker VX Ace.
  • Heavily updated the format of the initial post.

The most important update here is that this script is now under the MIT license, which means that you're free to use it as you see fit so long as you include the license somewhere. It also means I can't see any legal repercussions for what you do with the script, since that's not under my control.

Play it now!

ImageImage
Just call me Glitch.

Top Top