Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

WeTheFalen
  Fri May 25, 2012 4:12 am

I like this script a lot, but seem to be having a bug with my combat system (atoa cbs with atb), It seems that any time youre in battle at midnight the combat is ended and the player is brought back to the map, I cant find any particular variable conflicts, or code overlaps. I figure the easiest way to handle this is to simply disable the timer during combat, since i kind of wanted to do that any way. How could I go about intergrating that?

Top Top

Reaper*
  Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:25 am

So no one found a way to make some sort of light show on your character while moving?

My game is going to be very dark and I wish I could use some small light source around my character since using a picture as light source is not going to work with this script.

Top Top

PandoraShock
  Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:57 pm
Programmer!

Sewer Rat

This script in itself is pretty nice, but it would be cool, if you added the ability to use light if you had a certain item, as well as have the light source follow the events. I started on it myself, got it to follow events and such, but the way you draw the bitmap made it lag a little when I redrew for new positions, Id work on it more but dont have enough time.

Top Top

Reaper*
  Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 am

Wish someone does.

I could use it for having a light source in my project to use during the night. (In my project during the night it's very very dark apart of some lights like fires or tvs, lamps etc etc but these won't be everywhere specially when outside in the world.)

Top Top

regi
  Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:27 am
raptor king
Sponsor

I've been looking over the script, and I believe I found a small error in the Rect overlap? function (from line 144):
Expand to see the code.

should read:
Expand to see the code.

I'm doing a bit more tinkering to see if the lights can follow the player/moving events (right now, they don't seem to update and just stay in place, even if the player moves...) Will post updates as I go!

Top Top

regi
  Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:29 pm
raptor king
Sponsor

If anyone's still interested in getting a light for the player, try this (hope you don't mind me messing around with your script ;)

At the top, create a variable: DEFAULT_RADIUS = 100 and change the value to what you want the player's light radius to be.

In "create_lights" (line 295), add the following segment above the line "for event in $game_map.events.values":
Expand to see the code.

In "def update", add the following before the last end (line 441):
Expand to see the code.

Finally, change "class Light" (line 461) to the following:
Expand to see the code.

Unfortunately, the downside to moving lights is that it lags. A LOT. If you have at least two lights overlapping, and one of them moves, refreshing every frame will drain the frame rate (for me, combined with my pixelmovement ABS scripts, down to around 7fps on a large map :sad: ). I've identified the problem to be the "sub" function. Gonna hand this over to any scripting gurus out there, any way to make it more efficient?

Top Top

Reaper*
  Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:20 pm

I just tried it but was getting several errors so I switched back and besides until the lag is removed from moving lights I'd rather not use it, but it's nice people are still trying to fix this script.

I hope someday it gets fixed, I really would love a sort of light source I could use on my character when you find a flash light for example which can be switched on/off.

Top Top

regi
  Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:13 am
raptor king
Sponsor

Oops, sorry. What errors are you getting? I'll try and test it on a clean project later and see how much it lags then.

Top Top

PandoraShock
  Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:51 am
Programmer!

Sewer Rat

It shouldnt lag is it only updates lights in a viewport correct? Maybe Ill give it one more go ^^

Top Top

regi
  Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:07 am
raptor king
Sponsor

Fixed my above post, it should work now.
Unfortunately the lag issue still stands... I think partly because instead of updating each light individually, it refreshes the whole nighttime effect (every single light). When I have time later I'll look into creating a refresh function for each individual light sprite.

Top Top

PandoraShock
  Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:17 am
Programmer!

Sewer Rat

EDIT LOG:

I get an error as well its the way the accessors in Class Light are set up, they should be
Expand to see the code.

instead of

Expand to see the code.

EDIT:

I honestly think it would be easier to do this in VX/RGSS2 because you would be able to clear_rect, and set the rect as the portions between graphics in contact, then use the blt function to set the graphic without lag. I did so in XP, minus the clearing of rects, I also tried using sprites with the same idea, and clearing their bitmap contact location with the fill_rect(rect, Color.new(0,0,0,0)) function it worked, but parts of the graphic still mixed up with others creating an area that was darker than the dark itself, theoretically, this could work if you didnt mind making the darkness only be a set opacity of 255, so total darkness with parts of sprites cut up to match up with others.

EDIT 2: Because that .sub function just kills the render speed, I even tried speeding up the frame rate, I tried only subbing ones the player is in contact with, but again same killer frame rate >< of 4 frames a sec lol

Last edited by PandoraShock on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top Top

regi
  Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:22 am
raptor king
Sponsor

Yup, sorry. I caught that and a few other errors (updated in my post back there) in case you didn't notice.

Top Top

Reaper*
  Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:24 am

Ok so I tried it again but I am getting an error on this line:

Expand to see the code.

Line 533

undefined method 'dispose' for class 'Nighttime::Spriteset_Map'

Now it could be some confliction with some other script I use (Probably blizz abs) just like gubbid edited version of this script that has functional lights going off without having to leave the map or open/close menu to update if visible or not but I just wanted to point it out.

Top Top

PandoraShock
  Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:41 pm
Programmer!

Sewer Rat

Try switching out the

Expand to see the code.

with your own and replacing the dns_dispose with your own,it could be conflicting

try using
Expand to see the code.

[...] Is just my way of substituting prior content. SO find dns_dispose in the def dispose and change it as well.

Top Top

regi
  Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:34 am
raptor king
Sponsor

PandoraShock wrote:
I honestly think it would be easier to do this in VX/RGSS2 because you would be able to clear_rect, and set the rect as the portions between graphics in contact, then use the blt function to set the graphic without lag. I did so in XP, minus the clearing of rects, I also tried using sprites with the same idea, and clearing their bitmap contact location with the fill_rect(rect, Color.new(0,0,0,0)) function it worked, but parts of the graphic still mixed up with others creating an area that was darker than the dark itself, theoretically, this could work if you didnt mind making the darkness only be a set opacity of 255, so total darkness with parts of sprites cut up to match up with others.

EDIT 2: Because that .sub function just kills the render speed, I even tried speeding up the frame rate, I tried only subbing ones the player is in contact with, but again same killer frame rate >< of 4 frames a sec lol

Hey, thanks for trying! Out of curiosity, could you post the code for using sprites and the fill_rect(rect, Color.new(0,0,0,0)) function? I'd like to see how you did it (and in my project, the darkness is always 255 anyway :P).

Top Top

PandoraShock
  Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:08 am
Programmer!

Sewer Rat

regi wrote:
PandoraShock wrote:

Hey, thanks for trying! Out of curiosity, could you post the code for using sprites and the fill_rect(rect, Color.new(0,0,0,0)) function? I'd like to see how you did it (and in my project, the darkness is always 255 anyway :P).

FUUUUU!!! XD I deleted it, and CCleaned b4 getting on HBgames, Q_Q I'm so sorry! When I get some time I'll re-do it!

EDIT: Working on it now, I'm going to try to use Graphics.frame_reset to help speed it up, as well as try to set it up in RGSS2

EDIT 2:

Image That is the problem Im talking about. But I have a solution... Instead of drawing all this stuff in a Sprite single... sprite, we could draw each glow on its own Sprite, then have a fill.. which would be 640, 480 in size (doesnt need to scale to the map), the glow sprites would clear... or fill a rect with Color.new(0,0,0,0) at their location in the fill for the night, something like:

Expand to see the code.

Then we could have a for loop, for catching if any of the lights are in another lights area, and if they are they cut out the touching portions of each light touching.

its either that... or we could make the light its own... Autotile?, and have it draw itself as if it was an auto tile, so parts that connect would move together to create 1 light instead of 2+, I kinda like this idea better because it would take less sprites and.. would look pretty damn cool...

Just my thoughts here is my current edit of the script.
Expand to see the code.

Top Top

Reaper*
  Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:30 pm

I get a no method error on line 299 with your version pandora.

Undefined method 'size' for nil:NilCLass

On one map I didn't get an error but when I tried on another map that error pops up.

Top Top

regi
  Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:33 pm
raptor king
Sponsor

The autotile is a pretty cool idea, but sadly, only works if there's no/less of an opacity gradient, because the image is too small to capture (e.g. see Wachunga's fog of war: there's no gradient, it just goes from darkness to clear):

Unless we rewrite a new autotile feature that uses a larger image, it's going to be difficult to work :\
(Here's the one I tried to make, you can check it out and see the glitches for yourself.)

EDIT: working on a new one that's a larger sprite, gotta fix the upper-right corner but I'll see how it turns out later today:

I definitely like your idea of drawing each sprite separately and filling the map with darkness, though.

Top Top

PandoraShock
  Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:52 pm
Programmer!

Sewer Rat

Looks nice Regi, ill take a look at some coding for the autotiles see how they are put together in script.

:)

EDIT: Ill also take a look at the sprite version too

Top Top

Reaper*
  Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:51 am

When i saw that autotile I thought you could do the lights like the script by using it while creating maps but it only makes small circles hehe

If someone manages to make an almost lag free light around the character with the possibility on increasing it's range with a script call I was thinking on the possibility of having my project set during the night all the time.

Top Top

ThallionDarkshine
  Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Maybe what you could do with the lights is instead of setting the rbg value of each pixel, you could add to it. That would stop all the messed up overlaps.

Edit. Ignore this post. I just checked the source.

Top Top

regi
  Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:34 am
raptor king
Sponsor

Still haven't given up on the lighting system. I've been thinking of a new method that could possibly have MUCH less lag.

Rather than redrawing the entire darkness sprite, each light would have its unique sprite, just like Sprite_Character. We would then use @blend_type = 2 (subtraction) to use the built-in subtraction feature. My only question is would "sub" work for non-character and non-picture sprites? I have little experience working with graphics, and would much appreciate any assistance.

Top Top

ThallionDarkshine
  Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:10 am

So sprites have a blend_type variable? I'll get to work on this, it sounds really easy.

Edit. I might have made it work... maybe...
Expand to see the code.

Last edited by ThallionDarkshine on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

regi
  Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:43 am
raptor king
Sponsor

Unfortunately, the sprite's blend_type doesn't seem to subtract from the darkness, which is why I'm trying to figure out how "sub" works.

Top Top

ThallionDarkshine
  Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Maybe if I put the sprites above the darkness. Above post updated.

Top Top

regi
  Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:00 pm
raptor king
Sponsor

Sadly, no. I tried it with pictures and it didn't seem to work, which is why I suspect "sub" only subtracts from tiles and characters, not other bitmaps. It would be great if a scripting guru could confirm, though, or maybe explain how blend_type works.

Top Top

ThallionDarkshine
  Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:36 am

New idea. What if I make a dll to do the sub function so it doesn't slow it down? Do you think that might work?

Top Top

regi
  Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:59 am
raptor king
Sponsor

I have no idea, but it's worth a shot! I figure there must be some way to do it, though, since it's built in to the RPG engine for charactersets at least.

Top Top

ThallionDarkshine
  Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:57 am

Alright, i should finish it by tomorrow.

Top Top

PandoraShock
  Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 am
Programmer!

Sewer Rat

:o I'd love to see this ^^

Top Top