[ Big| Medium| Small] -

ForeverZer0
  Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:18 am
ARC Developer
Sponsor

Battle Arena Version: 1.0
By: ForeverZer0

Introduction

Pretty simple idea, will allow you to easily create a Battle Arena system (very much like the one in Final Fantasy VI). The player can wager items, weapons, and armors and then fight in the arena against different enemies and receive awards if they win. It's a 'winner-take-all' system, where the winner gets to keep their original bet, and the enemy's bet if they are victorious. If they lose they lose their original bet.

Features
  • Can easily configure to most battle systems
  • Fully configurable results for every item, weapon, and armor
  • Allows for 'one-time' rewards for specific bets
  • Simple to setup, and uses only two script calls in game to use
  • Logs wins/losses in game variables for easy access to stats

Screenshots

Register

Fight

Reward

Demo

Demo Link

Script

Expand to see the code.

Instructions

Within the script.

Compatibility

No known compatibility issues.

Author's Notes

Download the demo first if you have any questions, they may be answered in there. I have included examples and a little more in-depth explanations than can be found in just the script.

Please report any bugs/issues so that they can be resolved. Enjoy!

Terms and Conditions

Creative Commons - Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported
Content Hidden

Looking for a more powerful RMXP? Check out Image

My complete script list on Pastebin

Top Top

Chad Sexington
  Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:17 am
www.uothief.com

Sorry to bump a 4 month old post but I want to give this some love...

I think my project is a little notorious for having an unbelievable lack of scripts. And even the scripts that it does feature are extremely simple. Now that I'm (finally) finishing the project up, I'm going to be combing this forum for any scripts that make sense within my game (and are easy enough for non-scripters like me to figure out how to use).

Anyway;

I was going to do a Final Fantasy VI coliseum style arena in events. I think it would have worked, but this script is perfect. I think it'll make my game a little more unique/customized and it probably saved me a couple dozen hours of eventing.

Thanks.

Will give credit.

:box:

edit: Is there an easy way to remove "Items" from the list of items you can wager (and only leave "armor" and "weapons")? It's just not really practical for my game to have hundreds and hundreds of items to scroll through. (I have a lot of items.) Thanks.

Top Top

ForeverZer0
  Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:21 am
ARC Developer
Sponsor

Glad you like.

To omit weapons and armors, in the "refresh" method of the class "Window_ItemBet", you can simply remove the following lines:

Expand to see the code.

Top Top

Chad Sexington
  Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:50 pm
www.uothief.com

Okay, I'm getting a weird bug that I tried to figure out on my own, but failed.

Someone in my project thread posted this:

deividdo wrote:
The coliseum looks nifty, but when I went to try it out the a script crashed. This is the last thing I see right before the crash:

Content Hidden

That error is references this line:

Expand to see the code.

Trial & Error:

-When I was testing it, I just created a Start Position next to the event, added about 50 weapons, and it works fine.
-I checked multiple times from a brand new Start Position and multiple "add weapons" and it works fine.

-I then went into the game with a normal save, through normal gameplay, and went to the arena and I got the same error.
-I sold off the majority of weapons I had in my inventory and still got the same error.
-I sold off every single item, armor, and all weapons except for 1 and I got the same error.
-I finally sold off my entire inventory and the battle arena window popped up blank (as it should because I had no weapons). I didn't get an error.
-After that, I sold off everything again, and bought a random weapon from a blacksmith. I then went back to the arena and got the same error.

So confused.

If I were just looking at the error alone, I would figure that the default just isn't set correctly. But like I posted above, I can try to enter the arena with the exact same weapon, but one time it crashes and the other time it doesn't, and the only difference is that one is a brand new start position vs. a normal game save. (I'm sure there's more than that, but that's all that I can figure.)

Here's the full script that I'm working with right now:

Expand to see the code.

Note: Because it's crashing from the menu alone, the error begins with this called script: $scene = Scene_BattleArena.new

And I'm never getting to the actual fight, with this: $game_temp.arena_battle_call(MAP_ID, X, Y)

I'm sure that part of the script works fine (I hope). It did in my other play tests.

Very confused. I mean, I can't even think of why it would matter if I used a normal game save or not.

Top Top

ForeverZer0
  Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:34 am
ARC Developer
Sponsor

Are you putting the proper call at the exits of the "arena"?

From the sounds of it, its probably not compatible with old save games that were created before the script was added. When you add a script that adds variables to a class, and then load the old data whose classes do not contain them variables it will crash when they are referenced. You can work around this by including a check when they are called and re-initialize the variables if they are undefined, but I don't do this with my scripts. It means that the variables needs checked every time throughout the course of your game every time they are referenced, which is not very efficient, and the proper fix is to create a new file.

Top Top

Chad Sexington
  Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:36 am
www.uothief.com

I guess I won't know until I play from the beginning. Hm...

And for the exits:

Expand to see the code.

Instead of adding this, I just placed a switch in the game when you registered that prevented you from leaving until you fought. You're just stuck in the room with no other option but go to the event that starts the fight.

(I didn't add that call anywhere. Will this cause a problem?)

Top Top