Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Drago del Fato
  Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:58 pm
Dark Slayer

L1 Slime

I am guessing you're using some kind of encryption algorithm that you made. Why don't you use some already made encryption like blowfish or AES? You can make key.cfg safer if you encrypt it using a fixed program key. You have a lot of free ciphers on the net which are good and fast. Choose one and implement that code. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_ciphers

Here's a WHOLE Library of Ciphers. :)
http://www.cryptopp.com/

This way you will have a greater deal of encryption.

And again. Try to make it at least 6 characters.

Visit my little scripts corner here. :)

Top Top

PedroHLC
  Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm thinking about use one-way encryption in the key (like MD5 or SHA) and my algorithm in the file looks good, I prefer to use something that the people doesn't know yet. Well, anyway, new update, I tried to change the password size for 9 characters(what wasn't a good thing, because it's hard to make calculations w/ more than 3). The 'key.cfg' was hidden. Next version will use one-way encryption in the key, I only will have to study how I'll deal with 32 characters :S

EDIT: Someone will kill me when discovery the real about the 9 characters password, but don't worry, with the one-way encryption this will not repeat...

Top Top

Drago del Fato
  Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:50 pm
Dark Slayer

L1 Slime

It's better to use the premade encryption instead if making your own. For instance AES is military approved encryption. It doesn't matter which cipher you use, it's how you use it. In order to protect an RPG Maker project you must:
1. Encrypt resources in a way that they cannot be decrypted without a key.
2. Prevent anything else except the project to have access to Scripts.rxdata.

And I'm against ecrypting audio files. It is okay for MIDI files but encrypting files above 2MB using any kind of encryption slows down the game by a fair amount. Since normally encryption is made for securing files until they reach destination, not in real time. :/

Top Top

Atoa
  Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:53 am
Victor Sant

Quote:
And I'm against ecrypting audio files.
This is the thing that people most would like to encrypt, since it can't be done with rm byitself.

Also, only MP3 lovers that don't know how to convert files to more light formats (.ogg and .wma) would have problem with that...

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:50 am
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

I agree with Atoa.

And I had an idea. Pretty obvious, but anyway, i'll throw it out there :)

If the file was larger than 2mb (and in a 'lighter' format), couldn't you make them extract all files over x filesize to the TEMP folder at the beginning of the game, rather than at real time, name them and add to a hash or what ever, and have a loading bar/icon/screen like commercial games while doing so?
That would also, in my opinion and if done well, make your game look a lot less 'rmxp'd' and a lot cooler :)

There would need to be a mod to the Game_System.xxx_play methods of course, to use filenames from the hash rather than the originals if the name exists.

(also @PedroHLC,
if by making it hidden you mean like the attributes in Explorer, more likely than not someone who's looking at hacking a game will have 'show hidden files' checked)

Top Top

Atoa
  Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:00 am
Victor Sant

In fact you don't need to encrypt all files.
If the ecrypted file don't exist, it uses the normal file without any problem.

So you can simply remove the encrypted file after the encryption, and add the original one if the encrypted one cause any performance loss.

Top Top

Drago del Fato
  Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:01 pm
Dark Slayer

L1 Slime

@Atoa
I know that everybody wants that. But Enterbrain did not encrypt audio files for a reason. MP3/OGG/WMA are file containers and the music needs to be streamed when the file is opened which means - the file needs to be decrypted fully to a folder and stay decrypted until the music finishes playing, then deleted.

If Enterbrain would encrypt audio into their RGSSAD archive it would result in a catastrophe because:
1. The archive itself is not available to get any other resource until the music is finished playing.
2. It needs to decrypt every part of the file and send it streaming to the audio pins. This would tremendously slow down the game (assuming that the 1. reason doesn't crash it instantly XD)

The file is vulnerable to copy at the time it is decrypted so encrypting it makes little sense. When it comes to images they are fully loaded into memory in RGSS and the link to the file is closed which takes less than a second to complete. So in any case, if a person finds out where exactly are you decrypting files they can take audio files anyway, and it slows down the game runtime.

@PedroHLC
At least add that as an option, not as a must.
And why don't you do a GUI version of the program?

Top Top

Atoa
  Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:57 pm
Victor Sant

Quote:
I know that everybody wants that. But Enterbrain did not encrypt audio files for a reason.
And this reason is because Eb! is lazy, simple like that, and there's no way to deny that, just look that poorly coded classes.

Top Top

PedroHLC
  Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:40 am

Thanks for the comments! :biggrin:
Drago del Fato wrote:
why don't you do a GUI version of the program?

I started one, but I don't remember where I saved it :P.
I think in the next version, I'll make some external script for audios like I had done for graphics, so you make whatever you want with them.
I'm thinking about make an alternative version that use one already made encryption algorithm, but I don't have enough time now, maybe I'll do it on Wednesday(12) or only next-next Saturday(23).

Again... Thanks for all those comments! :biggrin:

Top Top

Drago del Fato
  Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:13 pm
Dark Slayer

L1 Slime

@PedroHLC
No problem! :)
You could also simplify inserting needed scripts for Bitmap and Audio with this:
viewtopic.php?f=179&t=74432

@Atoa
All your last sentence tells me is that you did not read my post fully. I explained clearly why they decided against encrypting audio files. If Enterbrain is lazy and I'm wrong then you make it better and prove it. Otherwise your whole "rage" against Enterbrain is not founded by anything else than rage for the sake of hating something.

Top Top

Atoa
  Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:24 pm
Victor Sant

Quote:
All your last sentence tells me is that you did not read my post fully. I explained clearly why they decided against encrypting audio files.
I read everything, but what you posted was the reason you think they did it. DREAM and Susano'o is there to prove that encrypt audio with a reasonable security (at last better than the default one) is possbible. But let's be pratical, they could encrypt the audio if they wanted to, specially with that weak encryption. In fact the encryption should be like the one on Susano'o from the start, changing the file format and making them readable only by the project.
Or you really think that someone that use "DEAD CAFE" as magic key is really worried about security?

Quote:
Otherwise your whole "rage" against Enterbrain is not founded by anything else than rage for the sake of hating something.
Ok, so my "rage" has no reason, and Eb! had a lot of reasons for making that poorly coded classes, and removing a lot of features from RMXP and VX... oh wait, they didn't really had any reason except for the lazyness...

Quote:
If Enterbrain is lazy and I'm wrong then you make it better and prove it.
If i had 1/10 of the financial support Eb! have, i could do it very easly... But sadly i have to work to eat and pay bills, even my free time i'm having to spend making money, and can't pay employees to work on it, like a big company could... And also we're talking about a TEAM of developers, that are PAID to do something good. But the fact that i can't do better, no matter the reason, doesn't mean automatically that the program is perfect...
Also if you think everything is sooo good, why you're making systems to change that? Like this one: viewtopic.php?f=179&t=74432
Eb! script installation is perfect no? Oh, no... a single person made something that should be there since from the start... Eb! claim that RM is for people to make games without programing skills, but someone totally without it can't install scripts at ease with a few clicks...

@PedroHLC
I don't see a point in that, since it's already possible to use non-ecrypted audio. (or at last was, i didn't test the latest version) I think that you should only make possible to choose what encrypt, if people don't want to encrypt audio it would be skiped.

Top Top

Drago del Fato
  Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:53 pm
Dark Slayer

L1 Slime

Hmm let's see your point here...

Enterbrain, which mainly deals in publishing MAGAZINES (and I say that because that means they are not ultimately focused on developing software), is concerned with a program security? Really now? XD
What you people need to understand is that RPG Maker XP/VX is made for people which want to do stuff without needing to learn a book or two about how to do it. Both RMXP and RMVX is made in that fashion so:
- Yes, it lacks tons of features many people would want.
- Yes, classes are written poorly (hmm I guess that has something to do with them mainly NOT BEING software company)

For everyone else who wants to expand their game by CHANGING SOMETHING or by adding simple scripts, Enterbrain added RGSS. You are seeing them as lazy but they went on a simplified stuff for non-programming people. Pedro's Audio encryption is a totally different way of encrypting audio, and a way that works, and you can say what you want but it does slow down the game. They did not want to do it, were they lazy or they really thought of that, neither you nor I know that. I am telling you the reason they probably did want to do it.

The reason I'm writing extensions for it is because I want to enhance it, and I like doing it. So do you. Enterbrain provided the simplified starting tools. You need to do the rest.

And one more thing, if you wish to make a commercial game (for example online game) RMXP/VX is definitely not a tool for that. It just has too many security holes and it's too limited for it (again Enterbrain was not dealing with security, they just provided basic security so that non-programmer people cannot open other people's projects). Lousy encryption is just one the many holes the RPG Maker XP/VX has.

Top Top

Atoa
  Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:35 pm
Victor Sant

Quote:
Enterbrain, which mainly deals in publishing MAGAZINES (and I say that because that means they are not ultimately focused on developing software),
And this justify it? I think not... The company as a whole may not be focused, but the developing team wich the function of working with software should be focused on that. No matter what is the main focus of a company, if it have many divisions, each division should make the better of their function. But well if you think that it justify it... so be it.

Quote:
Pedro's Audio encryption is a totally different way of encrypting audio, and a way that works, and you can say what you want but it does slow down the game.
Did you really test the system or it's just speculation? Because i've not experienced any slowdown... even with a 12MBs MP3 i used for a test and i had no slowdown. It's not my opinion, i'm just playing it right now.

Top Top

ForeverZer0
  Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:38 am
ARC Developer
Sponsor

Can anyone name a game that a multi-million dollar a year company has made that has not been cracked?

Didn't think so. And keep in mind that they have teams of people working on it, industry experience, and large amounts of money on the line, and they can't stop it. Given, there is much more incentive and more people trying to crack large commercial games than RMXP ones, but the point is that even if Enterbrain would have encrypted the hell out of RMXP, somebody would have cracked it by now, we would be here in the same situation, so there is not much point in arguing about it.

I applaud this new encryption system, but it too will be cracked sometime in the near future, if not already. We are designing a custom encryption for ARC, and while it will be far more difficult to crack than RMXP's, I hold no illusions that nobody is going to.

Looking for a more powerful RMXP? Check out Image

My complete script list on Pastebin

Top Top

Zeriab
  Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:34 pm
Hugging Lion
Sponsor

It's cool to see a new encryption system and I hope you have had a bunch of fun doing it :3
You can look at the source code for my encrypter if you want to. Maybe it'll give you an idea or two: http://pastebin.com/YRDSv3Dv (Java)

As for the recommendations using encryption system such as AES it doesn't really matter. I really REALLY doubt that anyone broke the RGSSAD encryption by cryptoanalysis. It's just way easier to look at how the program does decryption.
An encryption system using something similar to a mono-alphabetic substitution cipher with the end points heavily wrapped and obfuscated will probably last longer than using AES for the encryption where you have a decryption library similar to the my encrypter which you just call.
Remember, this is not about preventing some malicious outside user from decryption a message sent from my friend to me. It's about preventing the user from decryption the encrypted content except for a certain context.

@Zer0: Or maybe there's a loophole which makes it easy.

*hugs*

Top Top

Drago del Fato
  Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:09 pm
Dark Slayer

L1 Slime

Yeah but as long as encryption relies on a specific key to be used for decryption, any kind of encryption is good. Whether you had that decryption library or not if you don't have the key for decryption and no way of obtaining one instead of using brute-force check, your encryption can be considered safe.

The reason I said that he should use some encryption library is because people spent a lot of time on optimizing them to be fast in encryption and decryption.

For instance AES:
Quote:
On a Pentium Pro, AES encryption requires 18 clock cycles / byte,[29] equivalent to a throughput of about 11 MiB/s for a 200 MHz processor. On a Pentium M 1.7 GHz throughput is about 60 MiB/s.

Which is more than enough for use in RMXP. The only thing that he needs to pay a lot of attention to is to make the encryption key safe. And as a suggestion for this - add salt to the key that uses specifies or make a randomized key for each project. The user of your program doesn't really need to know the key, he just needs the project to be encrypted safely. :)

Top Top

Zeriab
  Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:03 pm
Hugging Lion
Sponsor

Drago del Fato wrote:
Yeah but as long as encryption relies on a specific key to be used for decryption, any kind of encryption is good. Whether you had that decryption library or not if you don't have the key for decryption and no way of obtaining one instead of using brute-force check, your encryption can be considered safe.

And how to achieve that when you have the game just lying there for inspection. It must be able to decrypt the contents or you won't be able to play the game.
If you are relying on a key (or order hidden information) for decryption then that must be present in some form in the game or the resources it accesses. For an attacker it becomes a matter of finding which leads us back to obfuscation.
My thesis is that good obfuscation and bad encryption is typically stronger than bad obfuscation and good encryption. By good and bad encryption I mean from a cryptoanalysis point of view.

In terms of speed the bottle neck for my Java code is the harddrive speed.

*hugs*

Top Top

Atoa
  Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:18 pm
Victor Sant

Quote:
Can anyone name a game that a multi-million dollar a year company has made that has not been cracked?
Do someone really expect a PROFESSIONAL cracker to lose it's time cracking an RM Game?

People cracking company games, generally want the profit they can get by doing so OR the chagellenge it would be to make that, that's generally the two main reasons for people to crack those games.

This security is to avoid general people from stealing, not to make a defense stronger than the Pentagon or Nasa... And it does it greatly, if someone broke this by now, it's surely a person that did it for the challenge, and wouldn't spread the results for everyone.

Top Top

ForeverZer0
  Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:31 pm
ARC Developer
Sponsor

Where can I find a job as a PROFESSIONAL game cracker? What kind of health-care do they offer? 401k or pension?
/sarcasm

As I pointed out just below the line you quoted there, there is far less motivation to crack am RMXP game. The point I was making is that far more powerful encryptions are cracked by general people. They are the ones who do it. In fact, there are many of these general people in the RMXP community who possess the know how to do it. I was only saying to you two that there is no point in arguing over "why didn't Enterbrain create a super strong encryption?". Because there is no point.

Top Top

Atoa
  Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:46 am
Victor Sant

And the error returned...

The previous version solved this issue, but it's look that the changes you've made brought it back.

Top Top

DJ
  Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm
Game Making Weird Furfag Thing

Party Mascot

This thing looks quite amazing. I'll try this on my demo.

Top Top

PedroHLC
  Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:09 pm

The project is now open-source, this will make this beta version complete unprotected, it is recomended to compile it yourself without the custom key system, i'm looking for code contributors...
Open source code available at github: ImageRM-Susano-o

Top Top

Dahrkael
  Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:35 pm
VOC@LOID #01

open source encryption, madness

or 3D?
Content Hidden

Top Top

Atoa
  Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:23 am
Victor Sant

@PedroHLC
I really don't get it. what's the point of having an OPEN source encryption like this?
Mas you system was really reasonably safe, considering the standards of the maker, and now you just open it to whoever want to break it...

Quote:
open source encryption, madness

[2]

Top Top

ForeverZer0
  Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:22 am
ARC Developer
Sponsor

Any good encryption should be able to be open source and still just as strong. Look at all the popular encryptions out there. A quick Google will explain exactly how they work, yet they are still used with full confidence.

Top Top

Dahrkael
  Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:37 pm
VOC@LOID #01

popular encryptions are usually used in cases (except games) where the others cant reach the key. As you should know, every encryption from every mmorpg has been broken without too much trouble, because the key is there.

You already discussed this, in our case it isnt about the encryption itself, but about keeping the key (or whatever is used) safe.
tl;dr: hide the key or forget it.

or 3D?
Content Hidden

Top Top

PedroHLC
  Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:51 pm

xD you can remove the "custom key-password" system and put a fixed password, compile, and it will be as protected as the original one ("or almost..."). But what can I do, when I can't continue updating the system by myself? Let's see what the community can do...
EDIT: I've checked the project and it looks like the project is still as protected as it was before releasing the source... But if you want, compile the Encrypter by yourself, so it'll be completely protected again, and try to use a EXE Packer on the resultant Game.exe before compiling the Encrypter, to protect it a little more.

Top Top