Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Daria
  Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:26 am

Ok, this is overwhelming. I'm trying to look into all the different options for implementing a side view battle system into my game, but there's a ton of choices and I don't know which is best. I can already see that there's Minkoff, Takentai, and I saw Atoa had one hosted here. How are they different? Is there one generally considered to be the best? Easiest to customize? I'd like to be able to draw my own life bars and such.

If possible I guess I'd like one where the characters actually move toward the enemy and then hit them (Lunar) as opposed to standing still and flailing their swords in the air (Final Fantasy).

Top Top

Reaper*
  Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:57 am

Tankentai is one of the best imo but it is incompatible with most scripts which makes it frustrating.

Minkoff is good too but you need the battler sheets for each actor/enemy and unless you use the ones already done by people which are used a lot it will be tough.

I could keep on going but I'll end it with this. If you want a simple plug and play there are several ones around but if you want a good combat system you will have to use one that requires you some work apart of plugging it into your project and it does everything without you needing to do anything else.

Just my 2 cent.

Top Top

Eventing_Guy
  Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:03 pm
Awesome Bro

Tankentai is OK, but isn't "finished"... a LOT of bugs still.

and Atoa's is basicallyTankentai but far more advanced.

never tried minkoff

Top Top

gRaViJa
  Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 pm
Creator of Ascension

Tankentai and Atoa are better and more customizable then Minkoff imo. Atoa isn't supporting Tankentai anymore, so i would go for Atoa. I myself use Tankentai and it works great, but don't forget about the aforementioned problems if you decide to go for that one.

For reference, here's an OLD video of my battle system:

Top Top

Daria
  Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Reaper* wrote:
Tankentai is one of the best imo but it is incompatible with most scripts which makes it frustrating.

Minkoff is good too but you need the battler sheets for each actor/enemy and unless you use the ones already done by people which are used a lot it will be tough.

I could keep on going but I'll end it with this. If you want a simple plug and play there are several ones around but if you want a good combat system you will have to use one that requires you some work apart of plugging it into your project and it does everything without you needing to do anything else.

Just my 2 cent.

I don't mind doing a ton of work to get the system just right for my game, what I want to avoid though is doing all that tweaking and discovering later that another script would have worked better. But it sounds like what I want is Atoa's. Thanks guys.

Top Top

Reaper*
  Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:15 pm

Even atoa has compatibility issues with other scripts so be sure to see what scripts you intend to use before spending days working on the combat for nothing.

Atoa/tankentai are both good they are sort of the same one but atoa has more bug fixes.

Goodluck :)

Top Top

Atoa
  Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:02 pm
Victor Sant

Quote:
I can already see that there's Minkoff, Takentai, and I saw Atoa had one hosted here. How are they different? Is there one generally considered to be the best?

Tankentai XP has almost null compatibility and serious issues that will be never solved, and it's customization is the hardest one among battle system, i suggest staying away from this.
Between Minkoff and my ACBS, both are very similar in the visual, Minkoff is easier, but offers less options. My ACBS have many built-in functions, but it requires a lot of work.

Top Top

SekiRaze
  Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:15 pm
Aprentice of the hidden Ruby

i salute to atoa for his script and battlesystem. when it comes to adding functions to the script i think his suits the best. also in presentation it is really good. when i get how to add functions, id let you know.

Haircolors:
Content Hidden

Games i am currently working on:
1. Sx3 - Secret Soul Survivor
Content Hidden

Top Top

Medivh
  Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:44 pm

solved

Top Top