Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

silver wind
  Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:33 am
Chompil

apparently, the script:
include 'file.rb'
just takes a ruby file from the game folder.
/facepalm/ took me too long to figure why i can't load ruby libraries this way.
so if I need to load a library/gem, I need to get its ruby code. but where do I get it?
I have ruby installed in my PC, and when I search .rb files I get no results. is ruby code saved with a different extension? or is it saved on a server, and gems just refer to it? I tried searching the ruby website, but it mainly has docs and small snippets of code. I saw people writing complex scripts, like 3D modes, and keyboard/mouse support, so I assumed it's possible. do people just write everything from scratch?

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:04 pm
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

RPG Maker doesn't use Rubygems, so you'll need to find a stand-alone way to achieve whatever it is you're trying to do. This is why netplay was such a pain in the ass to achieve back in the day.

Rubygems is Ruby's method of distributing libraries, which you can install from the repository through command line. As far as I know, you can't use any 'include x' in your code, because RM games use what's in the script editor as the scripts (which are technically all merged into one file). It may be possible to store scripts in a folder beside Audio and Data if you wrote your own 'include' equivalent, but they will not be compressed and packaged so people could open it and edit it whenever they want.

You can find the core scripts at (assuming it's the same layout as 1.9.x, and you're on Windows):
[installdir]/lib/ruby/x.x.x/

You can find installed gems at:
[installdir]/lib/ruby/gems/x.x.x/gems

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:23 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Just take note you won't be able to use any that have .so files in them, such as the sockets library.

Top Top

silver wind
  Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:26 pm
Chompil

thanks, ZenVirZan. I'll search there.
hopefully I can make this work. cause now that I think of this, I'll have to handle dependencies.
include 'x' works for me, not sure what you mean. I can't remember if I used eval(text), or it was done automatically but I can call methods/classes written in separate .rb file.

Princess Amy,
yeah, I heard about the .so thing.

so.. can I just use DLL files? I've seen people use them in scripts.

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:49 pm
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

silver wind wrote:
thanks, ZenVirZan. I'll search there.
hopefully I can make this work. cause now that I think of this, I'll have to handle dependencies.
include 'x' works for me, not sure what you mean. I can't remember if I used eval(text), or it was done automatically but I can call methods/classes written in separate .rb file.

Princess Amy,
yeah, I heard about the .so thing.

so.. can I just use DLL files? I've seen people use them in scripts.
Right, I must have been thinking of something else. You'll need to store it in your own format though if you don't want people tampering with it.

And yeah DLL calls work perfectly fine; the Win32API is available.

Top Top