Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
    SephirothSpawn
  Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:05 pm
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

I kinda wish they would have thrown all globals into a single $game class.

Expand to see the code.

Making all Game classes just sub-classes of this would have been a great idea.
Expand to see the code.

I would have thrown this into the SDK/MACL a long time ago and rewrote all of it, but it just would have been too many script problems. :(

But I will rewrite the game_data module to be something like this, and just construct a single game variable. What etheon said reminded me of wanting to do this a year ago but didn't want to piss everyone off. I guess in the MACL, we can at least use this vs. making new game objects.

Actually this is going in the SDK (too). At least a better version of this anyways. If you have anything you want to add, now is the time.

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Top Top

e
  Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:20 pm
shittybutt

I don't really have anything I want to add. If it were up to me, the WHOLE thing would be re-written :p

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:55 pm
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

I am all up for a project or re-writing everything while keeping to the main layout as much as possible. Although it wouldn't do much good outside having a library for script users. We could create an entire project remaking a lot of the RGSS and include a lot addons. Just wouldn't work for any scripts not designed for the system. RMXP - Scripters Edition. lol

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Top Top

e
  Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:01 pm
shittybutt

Well, we could rewrite the whole thing whilst keeping in mind to build light interfaces, or façades, with would allow perfect and seamless integration of (most) old scripts.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:19 pm
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Ok. Let's do it. Open invitation to any scripter who has ever wanted to re-write the RMXP script library. I am having a private forum made so we can develop and discuss this (so we aren't hijacking this thread anymore).

Details

Top Top

e
  Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:11 am
shittybutt

I'm in! Once you get the forum up, I suggest we start drafting on how we'll do this; more specifically :

1) Source Control? (SVN, CVS, etc.)
2) RGSS Re-design : what do we keep, what do we add, what do we modify, what do we throw away
3) Facades : make a draft of the needed facades (although I suppose step 2 has to be finished first)

Top Top

Kain Nobel
  Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:38 pm
No Rest for the Wicked!

Alright, last time, this is all my personal methods, even if I posted them previously, I'm posting them again because things change and theres stuff I caught that didn't work right in my past methods. I've re-written everything in here and tested EACH method 12x each in the past 3 days, so if I missed anything this time around with these re-writes I should be shot

Ruby.Numeric.strings

'RGSS.Actor and Party Info

RGSS.Character.MoveTest

'RGSS.Map'

I've got a bunch of stuff in my CMS that could probably be used universally too. For instance, this rescue call for the Bitmap class.

Expand to see the code.

I also have an embedded facesets system too that I wrote, that could be used universally. Give me 'til tomorrow night and I'll unnest it from my CMS and re-write it

You can find any scripts I've submitted within the past year upto the date specified above. If you happen to find something else that is either not on the list or just doesn't have a URL that I had posted officially or otherwise, please PM me the link and I'll be sure to add it to the list.

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:13 pm
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
The Data thing was just having this:

module Data # has to be class Data for no apparent reason
  Actors = load_data "Data\Actors.rxdata"
  Animations = load_data "Data\Animations.rxdata"
  [..]
end

I don't know, it's probably a really stupid idea.  I could be very much in on this re-writing RMXP thing though.  I think it would be nice to take a fresh Ruby base and code our own version of RGSS instead, using C++ or something and keeping it open source so it's possible to change stuff like the embedded classes (Tilemap, Input, Viewport...) and of course make it more flexible.  At that point, though, we wouldn't really be working with RMXP anymore, we'd probably be working on a newer, better maker.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:52 pm
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

That's not too of a bad idea with the Data module. I prefer the constants to global variables. We could definitely do that (or something similar) in the project-rewrite or whatever. We can re-write whatever aspects we want, but I am scared of us saying "Let's make a new engine" because every time someone says that, they usually disappear and never see any results or see only a few. I have no problem if we do go that route, but I want to have a finished result vs. hype.

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:31 am
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Exactly.  Which is why I won't be spear-heading this project ;)

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:40 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

But I still want your ideas there. ;)

I want this a complete group effort. I only want to see this done and the most it can be and I will push it until it is.

Sorry about the delay on the MACL update. So many projects at once and I am working on going through every method, cleaning up as much as possible. Currently stuck at Bitmap.gradient, cleaning up a few methods and adding more. lol

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:06 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

FFFF WONDERFUL!!! THE PROJECT WITH ALL THE UPDATES TO THE MACL WAS CORRUPTED! I DONT EVEN KNOW THE LAST TIME I BACKED IT UP! THERE WENT PROBABLY 30 HOURS TO HELL!

SO MAD RIGHT NOW!!!

Top Top

Kain Nobel
  Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:13 am
No Rest for the Wicked!

Damnit!!!!!! That sucks man! If I were you, I'd constantly backup my Scripts.rxdata file, daily... weekly... monthly, thats something that I always do.

Have you tried putting just the "Scripts.rxdata" in another project, or a new project? ...Most likely, if that was the last thing you were working on thats probably the only corrupted file, but what if its a stupid Map or something? Ha, I doubt it, you're a scripter not a mapper! But still, not to be Captain Obvious or nothing, but test out just the "Scripts" file on a new project, there's probably a chance thats not the corrupted file (but like I said, I doubt it since that is something you always work on.)

Is there anything we could help you with on re-attempt to update the MACL? I can go through and try and organize the new methods 'n stuff if you would like, leaving you to just proof read and make changes to whatever isn't working. I'm not sure what all you plan on including but I'm down for whatever to help you with it.

*Leaves to backup his current scripts.*

You can find any scripts I've submitted within the past year upto the date specified above. If you happen to find something else that is either not on the list or just doesn't have a URL that I had posted officially or otherwise, please PM me the link and I'll be sure to add it to the list.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:24 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

I usually do weekly, but just haven't had the time. I haven't had any problems in about 2 years. It was all the .rxdata files. I tried putting it into a new project and putting all the other files into the project. Now luck either way. :(

All I can say is it's a good thing I have about 40% of the updates scattered in my other projects. Now to go through 120 project files and check, add and merge. I will probably end up  not having everything that I did have, but I am going to try. In all cases, the compiler is going to wait for the 2.6 version now. I just don't have the time and patience for it right now.

If you really want to help, can you create a new project, go through this topic and add every addition into the project. Each with its own part, seperated like the MACL would. RGSS.Map, RGSS.Character, etc.

That would save me an hour or 2 and I would greatly appreciate it.

Top Top

Kain Nobel
  Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:28 pm
No Rest for the Wicked!

Okay I'm going to go ahead and do it for you.

Here, I already had this project pre-loaded. It has all of the origional stuff from 2.4, so I just loaded all the new additions to that project. Nothing is tested, but at least thats out of the way.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jymf02mtww1

Last edited by Kain Nobel on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:14 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

Appreciate that

Top Top

Kain Nobel
  Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:54 pm
No Rest for the Wicked!

One last thing I wrote for the Game_Map class (I origionally wrote it into Event_Spawner, but is more defined now.)

This prints an events commands list, like so...

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd28 ... ntList.png[/img]

I do have to do the parameters though, but here it is so far :P

$game_map.print_list(event_id)

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:54 pm
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
This is a little thing that improves :hwnd, a method used in various scripts which require Win32API structures.  I personally made this to fix my mouse script.  It fixes the "bug" where anything that requires the method fails to work when you press F2 (which displays the frame rate).

Expand to see the code.

Top Top

vgvgf
  Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:26 pm

mewsterus wrote:
This is a little thing that improves :hwnd, a method used in various scripts which require Win32API structures.   I personally made this to fix my mouse script.   It fixes the "bug" where anything that requires the method fails to work when you press F2 (which displays the frame rate).

Expand to see the code.

Actually, you need to obtain the hwnd index only once, so you can get it using the original name(Without the FPS) of the window when the game starts, so you can do something like this:
Expand to see the code.

Top Top

Me(tm)
  Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:58 pm

@mew

Content Hidden

@vgvf,

isn't the handle changed if it is moved or something (not sure - never tried). Oh and not everyone uses that ReadIni ;)

Top Top

vgvgf
  Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:58 pm

@me, no, the window handles are assigned to each window when it is created, so it will never change.
Quote:
Oh and not everyone uses that ReadIni ;)
I just copied what mewsterus posted and edited it a little.

Top Top

l0rdph0enix
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:43 am

Ok so I've been using the MACL 2.1 and decided to update it to 2.3 and now I get an error on line 5523
Content Hidden

Any idea's or should I just go back to 2.1 which didn't give me problems?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/ ... P-user.png[/img]
Just awsome
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6666 ... 246fn6.png[/img]
My Games Site

http://i35.tinypic.com/2rng07m.png[/img]

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:45 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

make a demo and tell me when the error occurs. I'll try and figure it out.

Top Top

l0rdph0enix
  Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:41 am

it happens before the game starts after you hit "test game" it goes to open the window and bam throws the error up. I'll update my game demo with it in there and make it unencrypted and PM you with it if you like

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/ ... P-user.png[/img]
Just awsome
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6666 ... 246fn6.png[/img]
My Games Site

http://i35.tinypic.com/2rng07m.png[/img]

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:23 am
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Me(tm) wrote:
@mew

Content Hidden

@vgvf,

isn't the handle changed if it is moved or something (not sure - never tried). Oh and not everyone uses that ReadIni ;)

The point of the code was to fix the F2 bug, which vgvgf did better than I did methinks. What you posted kind of backtracked over that fix...

Top Top

Kain Nobel
  Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:00 pm
No Rest for the Wicked!

I rewrote the Mouse Module based off Aleworks::API (yes, it should be MACL standard its fuckin' awesome), and checked my CPU and it used about 8-14% less (varies), probably because its using less memory by not redefining the constants in the module. A single module to handle all API is great, Aleworks does it just fine! Also, vgvgf is correct, set the 'hwnd' to an instance (if nil) then return that baby and frame rate got WAY better!

I also re-wrote your 'Mouse Selectable Windows' script, it runs pretty fast now. I like my version of the setup better, because you can individually enable/disable windows that use mouse via {'Window_XXX' => true/false, ...}, then Selectable_Objects.default = true/false to set all undefined windows mouse enabled.

'Modules.Mouse Module'

'Mouse Selectables'

EDIT: I just made another feature for it, I'll update it tonight/tomorrow, but now you can set scene-based cursors (for instance, set "001-Weapon01" for Scene_Battle and "Mouse" for default scenes) via Hash constant. I'm gonna make a Window-based setting constant for it too before I post it maybe. Also gotta keep in mind Arrow_Actor, Arrow_Enemy, events, etc... I'll figure it out, hopefully I can keep it simple.

Last edited by Kain Nobel on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:44 pm
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I have some work on class Hash.  No comments, unfortunately.  This allows you to sort Hashes and have them evaluate as sorted via :each, :each_key, and :each_value (:each_pair is untouched):

Expand to see the code.

Also, at the end is a nifty :to_s method based off of Array.series_string.

Top Top

Zeriab
  Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:33 pm
Hugging Lion
Sponsor

I don't really like the idea of changing the Hash to being sorted. At least not the general class being sorted.
I am pretty sure they are currently being placed in a red-black tree accordingly to their hash-values. (Object.hash)

I suggest you create a SortedHash subclass of the Hash class since having the sorted property is by no means requires for the general hash. I know you'll lose some syntactic sugar on this, but I really think this is a better style since a Hash represents an unsorted mapping from one object to another.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:08 am
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
How about this then?  It still adds the :sort method to Hash, but that method returns a SortedHash instead of a Hash.  Hash.sort! has been taken out, although it's still in SortedHash (I felt like it, even though with type uncertainties it's unlikely to get good use).  I still get to use all my sugar since I can declare a hash and get a SortedHash with :sort, rather than needing to specifically declare a SortedHash first.

I added comments too:
Expand to see the code.

Top Top

omegazion
  Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:54 pm

I have a simple bitmap negative effect, but it's very slow when the bitmap's more than 100x100.
Anyone has an idea how to improve this?

Expand to see the code.

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next