Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

coyotecraft
  Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:17 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
I've been thinking a lot lately about Spirit from the medieval understanding. The idea is that souls are incorporeal so they use spirit as a medium to influence the physical world. It's kinda where the idea of ecoplasma come from. If you've seen Ghostbusters II, there's this river of pink slime running beneath the city. A property of this slime was that it amplified emotions, both positive and negative. The movie climaxed in a nice metaphor, where they animate the Statue of Liberty using the slime to penetrate Vigo's lair. Liberty vs Tyrany, get it?

Where did the Slime come from? That's going back to the first movie. It was a cult who built the apartment building as a gateway for their god. The slime running beneath the city was suppose to help it crossover. Again, it's used as a medium. This slime functioned like spirit and was essentially ectoplasma, but it was refined from black slime produced by a demon thing called a Sloar. That's featured more in the video games.
The difference between the "mood" slime and the black slime, is that the Black Slime was caustic, corroding/corrupting like demons do.
It's interesting that the black slime is "caustic" because if you get into Alchemy, you're talking about salts and sodas. Salts were conceptually the leftover matter after the elements, or spirits, were extracted from it. The Gnosis in Xenosaga, which is full of references to alchemy, would turn humans into salt on contact. The Gnosis were essentially a caustic blob of of human souls.

One practical application or product of caustic material is Lye.
Did you know? It used to be a common practice to just toss the bodies of the executed into a pit of lye where they'd dissolve into goo within a few hours. For whatever reason, we don't do that anymore, even though it's more environmentally friendly than cremation. Have you ever wondered why Slime Monsters inhabit prisons in Fantasy RPGs? Well, there you go.
We still do it with horses. I'm referring to "the glue factory". Not just horses mind you, anything with collagen makes good glues. Collagen being a connective material. A bonding agent. I'm still talking about spirit btw, so please stick with me.

A quick fun tangent; my sister refused to eat jello for a while after learning that gelatin is made from "horses". Nightmare fuel. Ha! Get it? Nightmare? Mare? Made from horses. But seriously, imagine if we recycled all our dead into food. Unsettling. But then again, I've always wondered how these old great civilizations sustained themselves. It makes me wonder what these concepts of reincarnation are grounded in.

Back to spirit. What else holds us together? Gravity! Everything pulls on everything. No matter how small or far away, there is some sliver of force between 2 objects. I think it's fascinating that cultures have some notion of the monad, the one, the source, a singularity that we will all return to. Maybe ancient civilizations were more advanced than we give them credit for. There's some really esoteric stuff between our sun and sirius being in a binary system that I won't go into.
I had often wondered what made Yoga a spiritual practice, but then I saw a diagram illustrating how your center of gravity shifts as you do different poses.

Now let's look at Steven Universe and the Mary Sue power levels that are Rose Quartz aka Pink Diamond. Healing Waters of life. Gravity manipulation. Soul transference? It seems like a random set of power until you think of it as a function of "spirit".
I think the ultimate goal of the series plot is to heal the corrupted gems. Which got that way because Rose/Pink told a lie. Lie = lye. Lye is caustic. causality. causal. There's a verbal sense here that's difficult to explain. In Hinduism there's a 3 body model of a person. Their gross, subtle, and causal bodies. The gross body is easily explained as the physical body. The Subtle being emotion and mind. And Causal is like their soul.
I personally like to think of the Causal form as a mote of dust, which a water droplet forms around in a cloud and then rains to earth. The rain drop being the subtle emotional body. And then it's all together on the earth. Separating to form a cloud again and continuing a cycle set in motion by spirit, gravity, whatever.
My theory for how the corrupted gems will be restored, is to return them to the ground. It's interesting, the Gems exist as a different arrangement of these 3 bodies. Their bodies are constructs of light. Their subtle body their actual gem. And their causal body, I guess, is their place in the world. Steven/Rose/Pink Diamond can use their "spirit power" to heal their subtle body - cracks in their gem. But so far, not their corruption.
I could be completely wrong about this as the show progresses. In the current season there's a White Pearl who used to be pink and her light body, not her gem, is cracked. My guess is that she'll reset after "poofing" which will somehow inspire the solution: If retreating back into their gem can fix their body. Then returning their gem into the ground might heal their corruption. I have some explanations for why that hasn't been tied yet, ask me if you want.

Another Steven Universe Theory that has yet to be confirmed is the nature of Gem Harvesting. If the idea of eating jello or using glue made from human parts is disturbing. Then imagine what a society of Gems think about fusion and "recycling". Like Pink Diamond is the equivalent of "pink slime" from meat factories that grosses people out so much they become vegans.
How did Pink Diamond make Steven anyways? Why is Pearl grossed out by food? Why does Onion's "food abuse" bother Steven?
It's all revolving around a theme.

ImageImage
Go all the way back to Season 1. The episode that really setup Steven Universe and gave it depth. Before we knew anything. Before we knew there were other gems, space invaders, sucking the life out of the planet.
There was Frybo. A food mascot come to life, animated by gem shards. It had a body. It had intelligence. But it was empty inside. A soulless monster, following it's orders to "Make people eat fries"
There's so much food idolization in this show. I'd like to list them all. Like how Steven's Cheeseburger Backpack functions like Rose's Lion and Pearl. A container or vessel, for food, made out of "food". The themes from the first season have been repeated consistently up to now.
Idk. Maybe this whole food & spirit thing is easier understood by Christians who do communion. You know, the body & blood of Christ represented as bread and wine. I could mention gnositism too, but that's probably more obscure and arcane.

I think inevitably the show will circle back to a reenactment of The Lunar Sea Spire episode. Steven's first misson with the crystal gems. He relies on his cheeseburger backpack to the top of the spire where he's suppose to put a crystal idol in a moon beam which will repair the tower. Instead of the idol he uses a talking doll, Mr. Queasy. And the spire collapses.

Now the show has taken Steven to a broken gem homeworld. Homeworld being analogous to the Sea Spire. What's the analog of Mr. Queasy? I think Steven is corresponding to the proper idol.
ImageImage
Note the corresponding eye wound between lars and frybo.
Frybo was lacking a soul, Mr. Queasy was lacking a gem, and I'm willing to bet white pearl doesn't have a mind of her own.
ImageImage
Corresponding to these 3, will be Connie Lars and Steven. Mind, Soul, and Body bonded together in Spirit. Restoring homeworld, letting it collapse, or forming a new symbiosis between Gems and Organics. I can see it how it might work out a number of different ways.

I say that. But there could be greater mythological significance to White Pearl's eye. But I'll save that for another post.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
I wanted to touch on Hamlet's Mill which has to do with all these myth themes concerning these great cycles and systems of conflict that bring about creation.

And then explore more into "Spirit" as Metaphorical Water in other media. Such as Spirit = Magic in The Magicians. In Season 3, the waters of magic are literally shut off.

Or in the Pendragon book series I read in high-school, the travelers who go between worlds through "flumes" were essentially spirit beings created from the collective emotion, knowledge, and creativity of humanity. I was very displease when the last book made that revelation. I thought it was dumb. But in hind sight I see what it was trying to do and how it was very careful not to use any obvious buzzwords or names.

But I guess there's not much point jumping up and down and pointing out the symbolism wherever I see it. It's there. So what?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:34 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
I guess pointing out symbolism feels useless is because so many people don't understand it in the first place. People get really upset when they see a character who is really over-powered and unbalanced. But in the case of "Spirit Power" I'd argue that's the point. So maybe I'll spend some time explaining what it all means.

Today we look at stars as distant suns or nearby planets reflecting the light of the sun. But in medieval times, with a geocentric model of the universe in mind, the stars were a kind celestial clockwork who's movement influenced life here on the planet.
Let's look the tarot card imagery of "THE STAR". We see Aquariaus pouring out her water. Mixing it with the sea. Projecting it on the land. This isn't ordinary water, it's her spirit or emotion. And this is why "Astral Projection" is called Astral projection. You are Aquarius, the star, influencing the world with your own actions and light just like the stars in heaven.
This wasn't just a pagan world view, it was understood by Christians too. During a baptism they are bless with water, the spirit of christ. Christmas is the Season of Giving. Jesus born under the Star of Bethlehem, gifted by 3 kings.

The Stars are all on a Journey to the West. I'd save that Chinese Story for another time. The movement of the stars and their boons imply a destiny. You see this in Sleeping Beauty. Baby Aurora is gifted by 2 good fairies. Cursed by Maleficent, and countered by the 3rd.
Ok? By know I hope you see how the stars have great power in them, and what it would mean to control them. To Rule over the Cosmos. I just watch the 1989 He-Man Master of the Universe. For reference, it takes place in Eternia, at the center of the universe.
Skeletor takes control of Castle GreySkull and is infused with cosmic power. But of course, He-Man defeats him anyways.
Why is he-man able win? Because He-man is part of the universe too. Skeletor can only take what the Universe gives. And He-man refuses to give him power over himself. The Movie was awful by-the-way, and the message isn't crystal clear.
Many fantasy stories try to spin a tale with the same conclusion that "the power is inside you" and you can "write your own destiny" but often it's expressed in an unconvincing way. For example, Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz "fell from a star" (Kansas), and had the power to return home whenever she wish with the shoes on her feet. The only thing she was lacking was the knowledge that she could which was withheld from her. It should be inspiring, but it's not, not to me anyways. What's true for the protagonist should be true for the antagonist, and vice versa?

At this point I think I have to bring up angels and the infamous Lucifer Morning star. You're probably familiar with the story of creation. Before Man there were Angels (Light on the first day). Angels supposedly don't have freewill. What does that mean? It means stars are bound to the sky and move forever westward around the polar axis. Just like Gems in Steven Universe are made to fit a mold and serve a purpose. If you trace Venus' yearly path in the sky it creates the rose of venus. Pink Diamond, Rose Quartz. I'll let that sink in for Steven Universe fans.

The Morning Star Proceeds the Dawn. A hope for change and a better tomorrow. What's so bad about hope? If you remember your mythology, Pandora opens a box and releases all the demons and curses on the world, except for hope which stayed inside. Why was Hope boxed up with all the bad stuff in the first place?
Before I explain that, I want press rewind and go back Pandora's husband Epimetheus. Pandora's box (or urn in some version) was part of a set. It's was Epimetheus' job to give all the animals a special talent, which he pulled out of this other box, urn, whatever. Imo, I like to think this is referring to the constellations, explaining how the stars got their gifts. He does this, but doesn't planing ahead and fails to a special gift to humans. This leads the hilarious miss adventure of Prometheus stealing the fire of creation to give to man, resulting in his eternal torture of having his liver picked out and eaten only to regenerate the next day. Haha, what a guy. Jupiter creates Pandora to give to Epimetheus to be his companion. (Lots of parallels to Adam & Eve happening here). But Jupiter had intended for Pandora to open the box. Her personal reasoning is different from telling to telling. Curiosity is a big one. But Envy of everyone else special talents is another one.
It's actually the curse of foresight that stays in the box. You can't see where you are going. So it's hope or ignorance, that allows man to keep going. It's the 3rd good fairy that turned Aurora's death sentence into sleep. When the sunsets, you go to sleep. It's the 3rd wiseman's gift of Myrrh that foretold Jesus' sacrifice and resurrection. The "3 kings" or magi from the nativity are also likely star metaphors, moving westward, although what they correspond to is hard to say.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:41 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy

I'm not afraid to admit that I watch My Little Pony. But as and adult I'm sure my relationship with it is very different than a child's would be. Correspondences are my jam, and MLP has lots to offer. Although, if I'm being honest, Starlight's episodes are the highlight of the series for me.

Keep the story of Pandora's Box from my previous post in mind as I explore this other character: Starlight Glimmer.
With a name like Starlight a "spirit" connection should be obvious. But there's lots of similar sounding character names carrying their own significance.

Ok. Are ready? The Morning Star brings the dawn. Pandora opens the box, but closes it leaving foresight inside. What's this mean? By opening the lid, it's like she lifted the cover of night. The Sun comes out. The Stars go out. You can't see their motion anymore. You can see your surroundings, but you can't see where it's all headed.

Here we are in the wonderful land of Equestria. All the ponies have a cutiemark representing their special talent and destiny.
We first meet Starlight in her village where she's stripped everyone of their cutiemark along with their special talent. So everyone is equal. Nobody can feel hurt or be left behind by the advancement of others. The heroes step in a remedy the situation because everyone is secretly miserable.

In the Pandora myth, she puts a lit on it before the curse of foresight gets out. So People are free to walk whatever path they choose in the sunlight without knowing where it is things are going.
Starlight Glimmer isn't redeemed yet. She still doesn't see cutiemarks as a good thing. It's worth noting that there have been other villains that have tried stealing this "magic" for themselves. Just like Skeletor in He-Man who wanted the power of the cosmos to become Master of the Universe. But Starlight Glimmer stand apart from these villains. She doesn't want to be above everyone, she just doesn't want to be behind everyone. The Morning Star is the last star in the sky after all.

Starlight's character arc continues with her completing a Time-Travel spell which she uses to take her revenge on the main characters and changes history so that they never become friends. Just like Aquarius pours out her water, mixing it in the sea, Starlight wants the others to understand her world and show them, what she thinks, will be a better world without their cutiemark. But seeing the alter timelines, she see it was their cutiemarks that brought them together in the first place, and without their friendship the world would have seen a worst fate.
A non-christmas-y version of "It's a wonderful life"

This is repeated again in a reenactment of A Christmas Carol (But Christmas is called Hearth's Warming). Starlight, playing a character called Snowfall Frost in the story, she casts a spell to end all future Hearth's Warming. She believed the world would be much more productive if they didn't spend so much time celebrating.

So if Starlight is the Morning Star, who is The Dawn? Enter Sunburst, Starlight's childhood friend that flew off to magic school when he got his cutiemark, leaving her abandoned and traumatized. She doesn't blame Suburst for leaving, but she's surprise to learn that Sunburst isn't a Wizard, in fact he flunked out of magic school because he can't do much of anything. I'll spare you the plot details, but basically, Starlight(The Morning Star) brings Sunburst (The Dawn) into the fold where his insight provides a solution for fixing this Chrystal Heart.
~ MYSTIC CRYSTAL REVELATION ~

Starlight is currently playing the role of guidance counselor. Representing Empathy and Understanding. Or maybe just Understanding. There's another character, Sunset Shimmer, who is telepathic and more empathetic. Showing people what makes them special and spreading magic. Bringing out the Stars, in other words, like sunsets do.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
This is all present in Star Vs The Forces of Evil too.

As if "Star" wasn't enough of a clue. She has to learn to "dip down" into the metaphorical waters of magic. Opening portals and reaching out to people. It's all the same stuff. The "forces of evil" are all more or less a consequence of Star's Family. Which she is slowly but surely setting right. And like the Morning Star, she's the last of her family's line. Her passage in the book of spells reads:
Star the Underestimated
Was queen for just 4 days
Her 1 decision on the throne:
To give it all away

Even though I can point out all this imagery. I can't make any predictions about where this show is going. The "waters" are contaminated. The compelling question on my mind is, what does Aquarius do with water once she's poured it all out, and her water isn't her water anymore? There is a theme of transformation. Lots of Butterfly motifs, but also Narwhals. Narwhals relating to Cetus. Being in the "belly of the beast". Consider "ambergris" it's this gross fatty stuff from inside whales that takes on a sweet fragrance as it ages, making it a valuable perfume.
How something like that would play out in a narrative is anyone's guess. I mean what do butterflies and stomachs have to do with- .....Ooooooh.

If you're tired of these frilly cartoons, all this spirit water hope imagery is appears in Final Fantasy Mobius.
I don't recommend actually playing it because it's mobile gatcha garbage and the story is ugh...
But basically the world of Palamecia is hope unbound. It's repeating the same prophecy to harvest the light of hope, because it's addicted to it, and then sends it of to other worlds. Then somehow characters from other worlds wash up on Palamecia's shores. I think it's all very meta reference to the mobile gatcha format itself. Acquiring tickets from a social network to spend on summoning cards.
The story of how the cycle began, starts with the hero fighting a Lord Chaos who locked away the water reserves until the princess marries him. The Land is withering away. But if the hero fought in the Lord's tournament and wins, the water gates will be opened.
Secretly the lord was planning to kill the hero, because as long as the hero was alive, he'd never have the princess's full devotion love. Lord Chaos had his own reputation to think about too. The hero defeats the lord and the water gates were opened. Drowning Lord Chaos.
From this story, the world of Palamecia created the prophecy and the law of the land. A hero would emerge, raise people hopes and defeat Chaos. And then the gate of hope open, then the slate would be wiped cleaned and everyone would lose their memory. And the cycle would continue.
The player is accompanied by a fairy spirit called Echo. This relates to story of Echo, a water nymph, and Narcissus who was obsessed with his reflection in the water.
Take a step back an consider what the "water" really is. Your spirit, your connection with the world. Narcissus is also a type of flower with a bent neck. Like people who are always on their phone. There's definitely some social commentary there.

There's also a gay version of the Narcissus legend that replaces Echo with a boy named Ameinias or Amynias. Anemone are flowers representing forgotten or lost love. In FF:Mobious however this is translated into a female character named Meia who fell in love with the warrior of light and went against Palamecia's law and defied the prophecy. That might seem like a leap to some people. Consider that Sciomystis Amynias is a type of Moth. Poetically, moths as you know are attracted to light, or flames, and get burned. The planet Palamecia summons Sicariuses to go after heretics. Sicariuse is FF:Mobious version of Eidolon, Esper, ect...
ImageSicariuses is the name of a Spider. Spider catching moths, see? This might also be a stretch, but the name Anemone in Greek translates to something like "wind flower"; like a Rose compass. Part of Meia's design is that she has a 4 point spike-thing on her wrist. As if to say she follows her own internal compass and not the Palamecia's laws.

I feel like I've gotten off track.
But actually the Rose Compass circles back to Star imagery. Only this is a Nautical Star. Phew, talking about correspondences is difficult and can make you feel like a crazy person drawing all these connections.
I think I briefly, barely, mentioned Hamlet's Mill in another post. I probably don't need to explain what FF:Mobius has to do with that. It's got Mobius in the name. But one last thing concerning Meia - Amynias - Moth. Idk, this might be a regional thing, but another name for Moth is Miller.

I feel like I could circle back to talking about The Magicians. It might be worth explaining why the "The Beast" was composed of miller moths. How easily Alice - turned Niffin - so easily defeated him. If "The Beast" was the mill, perpetuating this time loop, then Alice was the magic turning the mill. Magic. Water, Wind, Spirit, - whatever you want to call it. The Hand that turns the mill could easily pull out the axle, or uplift the grindstone whenever they want to.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:06 am
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
Speaking of Axel. I think I can transition into Kingdom Hearts.

I've been talking about Stars and Spirit, but I've kinda left "Slime" in the dust. Slime being the leftovers of dead, liquefied in a lye. Smiles are common enemies in game. Zombies are probably more common. And NOBODIES are pretty unique to Kingdom Hearts but they're basically the same thing. People who had strong heart become nobodies. And the nobodies are searching to get their heart back. They can't feel emotion anymore, they only remember what they're suppose to feel.
A wheel keeps spinning even when it's come off the axle.

What do axles have to do with Stars? Polaris. The North Star. The "current" north anyways. The Stars all travel west, but their rotating around a point in the northern sky. Sometimes it's called a nail. Because of the earth's tilt, and the consequential procession, the polar axis moves. The current north star, Polaris, wasn't the north star some 2000 years ago. And there's myths accompanying the idea that the earth has fallen off the axle. In Chinese Mythology the north star is the emperor, for example, and the boarders of the city palace have moved. Leaving some stars standing outside the palaces gates even though they used to be next to the old emperor.
ImageKingdom Hearts is full of spirit-connection motifs. As convoluted as Kingdom Heart's story appears to be, it's really no different from He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Xehanort wants the power of Castle Greyskull to control all of Eternia. Sora is He-Man and the keyblade is his power sword.
That's a little silly to think about.

Sora means "Sky" but this mysterious look-alike connection with Vanitas makes me think he is the morning star. Turning Light to Dark and vice versa.
There is something in Birth By Sleep, a line Vanitas says:
"He's leaving you behind. And by the time you catch up...he'll be a different person."

Of course he's manipulating Ventus. But it carries the same sentiment and fear Starlight has about being abandoned.
"Vanitas" is a genre of art depicting inevitably of time and the demise of things. This is essentially the demon, foresight, that was kept in Pandora's Box and would have crippled humanity into in-action.
What KH3 will actually do with that character, I don't know, but I've got a general idea.
And what is this χ-blade business? It's the key to Kingdom Hearts, the center of everything.
Regular Keyblades open doors and such between people and worlds. Every Heart has a Key. Every wheel has an Axis. That "Nail" the world spins on, if you pull it out you'd set the world free. Disconnected. Although it would keep spinning and maintaining it's momentum. Everything would drift apart but eventually find a new center.
Kingdom Hearts is the crux of all worlds. The nail that's holding everything together.
Nail. Cross. "χ" blade. That's Chi. Maybe you've heard of χ-mas? You know, Christians are sometimes abriviated as χ-tians. I'm just saying the "χ" blade looked like a Chi Rho.
Excuse me while I put my tinfoil hat on. But at the End of Dream Drop Distance it cryptically mentions 7 lights and 13 darknessess. You just know a betrayal is in there somewhere.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:31 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
I gained a new insight from a dream I had recently. There was this person who was acting out of order, and I keep thinking I needed to do something about them. But as I woke up, I wondered why I cared. Having a social conscious is one thing, but I wasn't really worrying about what trouble they might cause for other people or place we where in. I guess, I was just trying to lead them away without making a big deal about it and disrupting things even more.
Like an immune system.
In Steven Universe, there are these Watermelon Stevens. They were very protective of steven when they were created but they didn't understand how anything works. Steven sent them away and now they're living on Mask Island where Steven sang a song about acceptance and being wherever you are. Interestingly, the watermelons have adapted into a tribe and taken new forms as dogs and wild animals. I'm getting side tracked.
The problem was, the melons were too accepting and were being walked all when a monster showed up. So Steven had to rally them to fight back.
This split the tribe into warriors and, for lack of a better word, shamans. The shamans all have stars on their chest. When something foriegn shows up, the warriors will move in to attack, but the shamans will surround it (In T-poses) Like T cells? Then paint stars on the warrior melons. The Warrior/Shaman act as guards and gatekeepers.
There's an episode in MLP involving a race of bug like changelings. They've evolved into these peaceful shapeshifters, but they lack a fundamental understanding of the roles they attempt to play. There's one changeling that hasn't evolved yet and is destroying and deconstructing everything, disrupting order. Like the Watermelon Stevens, the changelings also have a monster problem and are incapable of fighting back, except for this one. He manages to evolve after realizing his methods were his way of caring for the hive by chasing away or destroy anything new and foreign.
And of course, this is a Starlight episode because understanding is her specialty. Well, understanding is a part of every episode. But when Starlight is concerned, she forces confrontations. Going back the the Star Tarot/Aquarius meaning of mixing waters.

Being Socially Conscious is important. It's essentially what the Blue Fairy wanted Pinocchio to learn in-order to become a real boy. Not to be a puppet, but also how to be a family. Like a Star Compass, the fairy gave Pinocchio an animating desire, but he needed to find his center, his axle, his family, to spin on. The Blue Fairy is the Star Gepetto wished upon. He wanted Pinocchio to be real because he wanted a family.
If you recall, the climax of Pinocchio had Gepetto and Pinocchio swallowed by a whale. They were in belly of the beast. I'll explain again how inside of a whale is a place of transformation place. Of course any stomach turns food into energy. But metaphorically, from whale guts comes Ambergirs. It's shit at first but then becomes sweet perfume. Conflict and deconstruction creates change. And change only happens over time.

The new season of The Magicians will be starting this month. At the end of the last season they released a monster that the Gods had locked away. It was dangerous because it is pure want that is never satisfied. This is just my prediction, but I'm guessing they'll give him an axle of some kind. The last season was all about finding the keys to magic. Locked away with the magic's source was this monster the gods feared. This monster is now on the loose, body jumping, using people like puppets.

Is this making sense to people?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:55 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
Again I could be wrong about the monster from The Magicians. Being pure desire, it's essentially Chaos. The symbol for chaos is an 8 pointed star. Pointing outward to everything. I could be wrong about this monster being put on an axle. What good is a compass when you're standing on the North Pole? It just spins around at random, right? However there is a hidden order to chaos, something very telling about the shape of the universe.

I have this unsettling feeling that ancient greeks, all the mathmaticians and poets, were aware of stuff. But they kept it a secret. The Eleusian Mysteries rites and the Illuminati are exactly the same thing. With poets, the arts and what not, it's bad form to explicitly name the theme. It's like the rules of the Pyramid Game Show. You can't tell them the answer. They have to figure it out.
To SEE the POINT. And every magician knows, when people know how the trick works, it kills the magic. The wonder is gone.

Do you SEE THE POINT?
Haha, conspiracy theories are great. I'm sure the founding fathers had an inkling, if not more, about how society works. I mean, there's some really archaic stuff about Horus and Set, the union of upper and lower Egypt, remembering the past and looking towards the future. There are Pattern in history.

~Twinkle Twinkle Little...Bat. How I wonder what you're at.~

You have to wonder sometimes if these things are coincidences you should expect. Or if someone is actually standing in the center of it all. That's some spooky X-files stuff, or should I say χ-files? See what I did there? Ha ha ho ho he he

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:42 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy

God damn. My Little Pony is a clever. The fact that Sunburst knows so much about magic but can't do any of it, is representative of how knowing how a trick works takes the magic away.

Starlight's other friend, Trixie, is a stage magician. An Illusionist. If Starlight is the Star Tarot, and Sunburst is the Sun, then there's no doubt in my mind that Trixie represents the Moon. Starlight teaches Trixie a transformation spell to create teacups. And the significance of that is -- oh, look at the time. New cup, new cup, move down, move down. I'll pour you some thing new, and you stir it. Now, what was I saying? Something about a vessel for starlight? or was it from starlight? or was it my imagination? :haha:

Oh right, where did Starlight come from? She and Sunburst came from Sire's Hallow. A sire being an animal kept for breeding. And Hallow being where it's kept. And this is where their parents live. There's an episode where Sunburst and Starlight have to perform reconciliation with their parents. Well, it takes them a while to figure out that's what they need to do.
See, Starlights' Dad is obsessed with the past and the town's founding fathers. While Sunburst' mom is obsessed with her plans for the future.

It's like to point out Sunburst's Mom, her cutie mark's sun spiral, and her name being Stellar Flare.
But that would just be more symbolism for symbolism's sake, and she's only in this one episode.

Starlight is central to many more episodes. In the latest season she played guidance councilor at a friendship school. This is again significant to the Compass Star. To be guiding someone's destiny is a seat of great power. Potentially leading to manipulation for personal gain.
In Batman Beyond, the school councilor was a Hypnotist. Dr. Wheeler, Spellbinder. Need I spell out the significance of the a wheel?

It's funny, going back to MLP, There's an Episode where Trixie gets possessed by an Alicorn Amulet that dives her evil with desire. Alicorns having the power to move the sun and moon. She makes these 2 boys pull her in a chariot without wheels.
"The Great and Powerful Trixie doesn't trust wheels"
I doubt many people will read into the significance of that.

Alicorns differ from unicorns (Besides having wing) in that they can move the sun and moon freely. Unicorns can do that too, but they permanently lose their magic. Or come unhinged. They lose their center, their axis. There are other Alicorn princess of Friendship and Love. My understanding is that they can steer the star and love because they are pivotal.

Going back to The Magicians now and this Desire monster that the Gods were so afraid of. Desire can uplift the axle. And then anyone set themselves in the center. In the Magicians, "The library" has restricting the flow of magic to only people they deem worthy. They have a fair point about it being dangerous. But I'm sure there they'll come back around, as precession does, to the importance of liberty.
The Gods would have reason to fear unbridaled desire because it undermines their measures of control. Making itself the center of everything. As it's said in Kingdom Hearts, "Darkness lies at the heart of all worlds" but as Sora proves, Kingdom Hearts is Light.
And then in Kingdom Hearts 2, there's nihilism abound with Nobodies and Nothingness betwix and between the void between light and dark. But of course there's a heart there too, a pivot, a hinge, an Axel.

Last edited by coyotecraft on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:06 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy

In That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime, the hero becomes a shapeshifting slime. He can take take the powers and forms of other monsters. And combine their powers to make new stronger abilities. Once again, represented with The Star Tarot. The Morning Star takes light from other stars, combined to make the day. The Slime in this story, ends up making himself a chief of a village of goblins, wolves, Oni ect... Everyone is looking to him for guidance.
He gives everyone names, which gives them a rank up. This also parallels the pandora and epimetheus story some what. Naming monsters requires mana, at one point he get's carried away naming everyone that he runs out of juice. Burns out, I guess you could say.

The Myth Themes of Hamlet's Mill lists The World Tree as just another name for the axle. Think of it as everything revolving around nature because nature provides for everyone's needs. The threat to nature is unsatisfied hunger. It's no coincidence that a Dryad, a forest spirit, requests the slime to defeat the demon lord. The Demon lord being an Orc with a special ability called "Starved". Much like the slime's ability, he can take in the powers of others, by eating the fallen, and share it with his army.
It's kinda of refreshing to have a Demon Lord that isn't a necromancer. But conceptually they are still using the dead.

I feel like I've been giving MLP at lot of credit up to now. And I'm afraid to make too many predictions and get my hopes up about where it's all headed. See, fan's have been waiting for a while now for a classic villain to make an appearance. Grogar. He's a ram. He's a Necromancer. His original appearance was kinda silly. He was trapped in another dimension because of a bell. It was slowly returning and he had plans to enslave humans because they have hands and make useful tools. The bell is tied to a clock. The song they sing during the climax is all about ringing the bell of freedom and making changes. The Pony that rings the bell is North Star who as a compass star as a cutie mark.

In nautical terms, you ring a bell whenever you're on a collision course. The hope is that you and they will steer clear and avoid disaster. The ringing of the bell also marks a crew shift, also called a watch. So imagine in a topsie-turvy wonderland, at the tea party, the bells have been inverted into tea cups, and there's much talk about time and fixing clocks.

The current generation of MLP seems to be coming to a close. But there's also it's companion series, Equestria Girls which is a crazy mirror world of Equstria where everyone is human. The newest season trailer shows them on a cruise ship, and crossing into Equestria.
In my mind this is set up perfectly to express more Compass Star imagery, colliding worlds, and Grogar.
A lot of people insist the spin-off series is non-cannon. But generally speaking, thinks that spin off things naturally gravitate back to the beginning.

Ah, damn. Now I have to bring up how all these series are about bridging worlds and relationships. In Kingdom Hearts Lore, all the worlds were one at some point and then got separated. Theres is a Multiverse to MLP and The Magicians. In The Magicians, spanning the space between is the Neitherlands. (I can't find a screen shot of the Netherlands as these mysterious floating rings in space)The Neitherlands is full of fountains that connect all the words. "The Library" and it's "Branches" exist there too, as well as in the underworld. The library is essentially "The World Tree" or even a "Tree of knowledge" and has essentially made itself the multiverses' axis.
But we also know that with enough friction, spinning sticks make fire. Makes sense that Axel in kingdom hearts should be associated with fire.

Mills, grindstones, gears, torus, wheels, donuts. I'm tired of talking in circles but I can't stop. And with themes, the point is to walk around it.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
Ok. I think this will be my last post.

These circles and cycles are supposedly eternal. And they would be if nothing ever changed. The World Tree Is Suppose to Provide for everyone. Just like your family and home is your center. Home is where the heart is. For young adults, there's an important lesson be setting free. But because you grow and change, it can't support you forever.

You've got to Unhinge, Cut loose, Let Go, Pay your debts, and find your way home.

Disney movies make themselves very easy to write around. So this is how I see KH3 connects it's themes.
I could add that Big Hero 6 lends itself to moving on while remembering lost ones. Admittedly, you could probably line the pieces up any number of ways.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:44 am
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
Ok. I lied. It's Sunday and I've got nothing better to do.

I forgot to mention the Slime from That Time I was Reincarnated as took the name of Tempest. You know, it's like, in order to set a clock in motion you got to wind it up with a key. I guess "key" has really lost it's meaning in the digital age now that everything is digital and runs on batteries.
I feel like, I might not be catching anyone's attention. All these shows and games are pretty recent. So maybe I'll try focusing on some older material. You can think of Tempest as a spinning storm. But Tempus in latin is a time. Tempus Fugit, time flies. Time escapes us.

The Wizard of Oz
How does Dorthy in up in Oz? She's uplifted by a twister. She keeps saying she wants to go home to Kansas (A star)
FYI, Kansas's State Flag has the motto Ad astra per aspera (To the Stars Through Difficulty)

Final Fantasy VIII
The main character is Squall. Squall, Tempest, Twister, Spinning, Are you seeing the pattern yet? The Villainess is a sorceress living in a Clock Tower. Now it's interesting that Squall would hunt a sorceress tampering with history. Squall in particular is emotionally detached because he's got abandonment issues, but as another plot point the entire party loses their memories as a result of summoning. Plus their all Orphans anyways. Where's their home.
Well remember, home is where the heart is. And Squalls has given his heart to Rinoa. The Star imagery isn't hard to miss. She points to a falling stars. Her Ultimate Boomerang is called Falling Star. Her Ultimate attack is Wishing Star.
I know her name relates to stars somehow but I'm just not sure how exactly. She's from Deiling City. And FF8 is all about card games. Deiling. Dealing. A Gambling Town? Reno Nivada? Give love a chance. Luck be a lady tonight. Idk.
Well, she's from Deiling City but you meet her in Timber. There's World Tree connection there. But the forests have been cut down to make a network of railways.

Sonic the Hedgehog
This is kinda weak because there's so many spin offs games and cartoon series. But Sonic's Plane is called "Tornado" And they're chasing Chaos Emeralds.
Emeralds represent Hope, fyi. I could have mentioned that with the Wizard of Oz who lives in the Emerald City.

Emeralds. Evergreens. Christmas Trees. Christmas Stars. Hope.

Final Fantasy IX
So, the characters of FF9 are all visual allusions to To wizard of Oz (The book). The story more or less begins with the destruction of the summoners, by Garland. There's tornado imagery there. Steiner is the tinman. Vivi is the scarecrow. Quina represents the Chinatown citizens, Porcine clowns and cutlery. Freya is a mouse, the mice lived in the Poppy fields outside of the Emerald City. Eiko is a munchkin. Armarant is a Quadling who are tall and have Red Hair. The Queen was the Wicked Witch. Zidane the lion, although his tail seems more monkey-like. There's a secret super boss Ozma, just like Oz in the book, nobody knows it's true form.
The Iifa Tree is an obvious Life Tree, axis, symbol. Garland's name refers to a decorative wreath to commemorate the dead. A wraith in another sense. Zidanes trance for is Pink. He and the other Genomes were created as vessels for Terrain Souls. Kuja was Genome V1 and was created as an adult. Zidane was his replacement and would grow into an adult. Kuja dumped Zidane on Gaia, insulted that a baby would replace him. Incidentally Zidane acquired a Gaia Soul. A blending of two worlds, and ironically ringing Terra's death Bell.

Final Fantasy VII
The story begins more or less with Destruction of Niflheim. I'm sure most people think of Cloud and picture a Fluffy White Cloud, rather than a cloud of smoke in the in destruction's wake. Cloud and Sephiroth are a blending of waters too; having Jenova cells and mako infusion. As solders, Cloud and Sephiroth were trained to follow orders and carry out missions. Their life always had direction. Uplifted from that, Sephiroth figured he'd destroy the planet because that must have been what Jenova want. Using Jenova's reunion ability he could use Cloud as a puppet. Also, Sephiroths body wasn't Sephiroth's body, it was a shapeshifting mass of Jenova cells. So, more loveless shapeshifters.
Idk, I'm personally torn between seeing Jenova or Sephiroth as the villain. Imo, Sephiroth is a hybrid. If Jenova is a virus, Sephiroth would have been the vaccine. And its a case of the immune system turning against itself. The Planet releases it's "Weapons". Emerald Weapon being one of them.
Going on a tangent: A lot of parodies make fun of Shinra's Mako Cannon. Pointing out a design flaw of point in 1 direction. The explanation is that Shinra was aware of the Planet's Weapons and had their gun pointed at them should they ever wake up.
Emerald = Hope. They had their cannon pointing at Emerald Weapon. Holding hope hostage. Get it?

Reboot
This was a really old series. Idk how many people saw the final season. The final big bad was a Chrono Virus called Daemon. She mind controlled everyone. Locking up the the system and the world with "the word". STOP. Her idea of "unity". By befriending another virus, Hexadecimal, they were able to stop Daemon's plan. The system guardians engineered a system crash, counting on "the user" to back them up in memory and REBOOT everything. Good show. Good Show.

Top Top