Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1029 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
    Perihelion
  Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:35 am
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
PIXEL ART ONLY in this thread! Thank you.

This sticky exists for you to get critiques on any works in progress you might have that wouldn't merit a thread on their own. This also includes things you make from pixel tutorials and the like.

Things that go here include but are not limited to the following:
- single frames of sprites or templates
- recolors
- frankensprites
- simple recolors of tilesets
- bits of tiles you're working on, or a small number of tiles
- any small pieces of work that wouldn't merit inclusion in a workshop or a thread of their own
- etc.

If you have a substantial amount of stuff, you can make a workshop thread for it. If you're not sure, PM a mod. Any threads you make that don't have enough content to stand by themselves will be merged with this thread, so don't do it!

NOTE!
If you leave something here for critique, try to critique something of someone else's while you're at it. If you want input, you should be prepared to give some of your own, and it helps keeps the critiques flowing.

Top Top

Grathea
  Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:41 am
just another brick in the wall

Top Top

Berserker
  Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:02 am
Sponsor

Legion
I think you need more contrast for that template. It seems you're needing stronger highlights or something.

I love the designs.

Top Top

Berserker
  Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:14 am
Sponsor

Top Top

Grathea
  Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:31 am

Berzy, it looks really cool. I'm not too sure on the shading of the stairs to the sides, but the rest is all pretty sweet.

And now becaues I felt that HK's were really missing something useful - piercings and tattoos, I'm going to start something I hope to continue a couple more times in this thread.

and without the template

Top Top

lomastul
  Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:22 pm

here's a template i am working on [base on golden sun sprites]
lemme know what you think of it's movement [yeah i know it's not shaded yet >.>]

NOTE: this will not be included in the contest cuz i've started it before the contest was opened :X.

Top Top

Berserker
  Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:47 am
Sponsor

The LEGIONS mounts!

Top Top

Perihelion
  Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:55 am
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
Lomastul, nice animation. How heavily is it based off of GS? My only real complaint is that the hand swings far more forward than it does back in the side animation, but it doesn't look bad per se.

Also, Berzy, that's shiny. I like the leg. :D

Top Top

rmxp_beginner
  Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:44 am
Gamer since rm2k3

I really don't know where this would fit in =) But yeah, its a retinal scanner with a key pad on the right...

Berzy one thing:
Quote:
The LEGIONS mounts!

shouldn't it be: The LEGIONS' Mounts!...?

Top Top

lomastul
  Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:56 am

The Führer wrote:
Lomastul, nice animation. How heavily is it based off of GS? My only real complaint is that the hand swings far more forward than it does back in the side animation, but it doesn't look bad per se.

Also, Berzy, that's shiny. I like the leg. :D

ty for the critique ^^, and i will fix it.
tho in golden sun the hand swing to the back was even more smaller then here :P [just mentioning it out].

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:43 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Ignore the shading, this is very basic linework, but this is my patented Half-a-Marvin-powered steampunky Purple-Nazi-flag machine.

Top Top

Sonata
  Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:58 am
Sponsor

Wyatt, is the whole contraption on one level? Right now I'm getting the impression that the vertical ramp is on a downward slant and that half of the machine is on a higher level.

Top Top

Xaixis
  Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:31 am

Haha Wyatt

Well as you said it doesn't having shading, so I guess it's ok... but kind of random xD

Top Top

Grathea
  Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:16 am

Hey, more piercings.

Corset piercings this time: enjoy!

As usual, they're upped to the HKCP Gallery, under Female-Accesories.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:02 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I attempted to make a tree using Peri's tutorial... it's not much but it's a start I guess. I haven't got around to pallette work so I borrowed Peri's pallette - if I submit this I'll make my own pallette don't worry.

Top Top

Sonata
  Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:50 am
Sponsor

Don't use that colour for the shadow!

Top Top

Faint
  Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:17 am

Commodore Whynot wrote:
Ignore the shading, this is very basic linework, but this is my patented Half-a-Marvin-powered steampunky Purple-Nazi-flag machine.

Nazi flags are red! xD

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:07 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I just wanted to post something here.
I already know I probably need to up the contrast and clean up some areas.
It's material for the HKCP so I'll need to compensate for any shoes/boots/belts ect... I'll have to test out what others have made.
I have a problem with the waist. Do you think it's too thin?

Top Top

Berserker
  Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:23 pm
Sponsor

I think they are fine Coyote. Just as you said, clean up and more contrast, perhaps a bit more yellow in the lighter shades to make it stand out better.

Top Top

Perihelion
  Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:19 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
Wyatt--busy atm, but remind me to comment on that tree later.

In the meantime, here are some really sloppy five-minute exercises of desert rocks.

I was mainly testing out the palette and playing with lighting. Also, there's a random WIP sand tile in there I may or may not scrap.

Top Top

Sadrin
  Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:04 pm
"WORK THAT"

I'm in some need of help with this building. I'm trying to make it look like the building in the two smaller pictures to the left. My problem is the back part. >_< I've got it a bit different than the picture because no matter what I did, I just couldn't get the back to line up right. :( Something just seems off? Is it my building or the way they were drawn to begin with?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:31 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
It looks to me like the roof on the smaller pics are on the same level. Yours looks lower in the back.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:53 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
It's... Monty Python's Flying Cirfence

Top Top

Twirly
  Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:39 pm
aka twirly

So I found a good tutorial, made a sprite, Perihelion helped me to improve it and this is the result:

Tell me what you think, open to sharp but constructive critisizm :D
PS:
This is an rm2k sprite ;)
edit:
added a hat!
also, go Purple Perihelion Party

Top Top

Perihelion
  Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:46 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
Okay, .org was down when I wrote this, so I'll post the original critique I did for Twirly now.

Couple things, Twirly. Stronger outlines and more contrast on the hair, and I'd tilt the hat a little to make it closer to 3/4 perspective. Your palettes in general need work, but the hat and skin in particular bother me; a good general tip is to make highlights yellower and shadows bluer and move across the spectrum incrementally as you change brightness. In general your palettes need a lot more contrast, and the shading's off on the body, too. The torso looks flat, whereas the pants are pillow-shaded. Also, you probably want to lower the saturation on the red, and grays look much better if they have bits of other color in them (in this case, you'll probably want warm tones to match the red). The solid black outlines are also pretty unattractive.

Okay, I did a quick edit so you can see what I mean on some of this.

I didn't change the outlines of anything but the hat and the hair, but you can see what a difference even a palette swap and shading makes. Your basic shapes are fine.

A note on palettes: I got lazy and just recycled some ones I already made for Paradigm, but in addition to the blue-yellow transition thing, I used exclusively warm palettes. In general, if you have black/white/gray on a sprite with more vivid colors, you should pick grays that match the warmth/coolness of the other colors. Makes it look more unified. Also note that nothing is at full saturation, although some of my lighter shades might be close to it.

As for shading, the trick to it is to kind of pillow shade except move the highlights up and to the left. Of course that's grossly oversimplifying, but bodies are composed of rounded shapes, so you can do a lot if you can figure out how to make things look round. In general, light things are closer to the foreground, so keep that in mind when shading. Um, look at the edit to see what I mean. And then to make things look textured, I just used more random placement of pixels instead of smooth highlights.

I hope that was helpful!

Top Top

Twirly
  Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:44 am
aka twirly

That was very helpful, Peri.
Thank you very much, my sprite looks
a lot better now! :lol:
Also I noticed how a palette swap can make your sprite look
a lot better (even if my palette still needs improvement)...
Right now, I am making a char sideview,
which is in terms of shape a total pain in the ass :mad:
But I will be sure to ask here or on irc for help :thumb:
Edit:
Here is an edit of my sprite (it should look more like a ronin)

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:55 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant

Bandages for the hkcp. Something you can put under clothes. Possibility of a bloody version in the future if I finish.

Top Top

Numb
  Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:13 pm
Do you want more?

A little indian boy I am working on...

Has fallen apart right in front of you

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:37 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Lunar: You're pillow shading. Getting lighter toward the center makes it look glossy and lit from in front.
Shade it with the light source above the sprite. Don't try to blend from one shade to another.
Your clothes need more contrast. I used black because it was already on your sprite but a darker brown would have been better.

Personally it think it's wrong to do the whole body in one color. Native Americans have red, white, yellow, and blue. Fur coats, beads ect... dress him up a little.

Last edited by coyotecraft on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Twirly
  Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:57 pm
aka twirly

Today I started making sideview sprites for my char,
and I am having trouble, because I draw the chars from scratch!

Any advice? :blush:

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1029 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next