Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Damaris
  Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:40 am
Dataleach

Hey hey!
I've decided to make this thread a my Sprite thread. Much of my products will be franken-sprites and at the moment most of it will be for games in a modern setting.
Anyway, here the results of my work so far.
C&C appreciated!

"Original Thread"

Last edited by Damaris on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:16 am, edited 8 times in total.

Top Top

WalkingAbomination
  Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:03 am
ZATOICHI!!

Looks good to me, nice edit.
What the hell! That bush growing right out of the sidewalk.. :tongue:

Top Top

The Panda
  Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:27 pm
Sponsor

Wow! That's the first good looking street for the RTP I've seen! *high fives* It fits in perfectly, usually things like this clash horribly when people attempt them. I'm shocked. lol ^_^

Top Top

Damaris
  Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:04 pm
Dataleach

:biggrin:
I know I did something right when I get a high-five from the panda.

Top Top

Damaris
  Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:22 am
Dataleach

I wasn't sure if I should make a new post for this because I'd really like come critique, but as its related to the street I figured I'd add it here.

I suck with pixel-art shading, perspective and well... pretty much pixel art >.> Anyone want to point-out what I'm doing wrong for me?

Its based off the medieval streetlight by... err... I think his name is "Inquisitor" but I'm sure you all know who I'm talking 'bout.

Top Top

Luthur
  Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:06 am
(aka fox5)
Sponsor

The road looks great. It's the first good RTP modern stuff around (sides NeoRTP). If you make more modern stuff, you could create a new RTP, one that loads of people want. Good job.
Anyway, as for the lamp, it doesn't fit with the rtp style. The dithering is over the top, and I think the actual thing is too thin. Have a look at the RTP inner lamp, and see how it's shaded, then copy the techniques across so it matches.

Top Top

Luthur
  Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:14 am
(aka fox5)
Sponsor

The road looks great. It's the first good RTP modern stuff around (sides NeoRTP). If you make more modern stuff, you could create a new RTP, one that loads of people want. Good job.
Anyway, as for the lamp, it doesn't fit with the rtp style. The dithering is over the top, and I think the actual thing is too thin. Have a look at the RTP inner lamp, and see how it's shaded, then copy the techniques across so it matches.

Top Top

Damaris
  Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:55 am
Dataleach

Comments? Better/worse?
I feel like the perspective is still really off >.>

Top Top

TheInquisitor
  Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:32 pm
Jobless Bum
Sponsor

Actually I think your first effort at the streetlight is better. Stick with that, I think it looks fine really. I think the head is over dithered, like the base which I think looks a lot like the one I did. However, I think you could do with less dithering on the head and just make it a little smoother. I also think you could make the light lighter. Is it supposed to be off or on?

http://rjanes.co.uk
http://www.rpg-palace.com/

Top Top

Damaris
  Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:28 am
Dataleach

I'm one of those people who will stand in a shop for three hours deciding which flavor of corn chips I want. I thought the first one was okay but the perspective of the base seems odd for the RTP, so I got some feedback and made another - with a different base.

The light is off at the moment, the idea is for it to be an event, and when I give it an "on" mode I'll add a subtle cone-shaped glow that hits the street/ground. The second one seems A little more like a traditional modern streetlight to me, but I don't know... might just do both.

Top Top

TheInquisitor
  Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:11 am
Jobless Bum
Sponsor

Oh yes, the second is more modern. You should make the base less jagged though and also cut out a lot of the unnecessary dithering. It doesn't really make much of a difference.

Top Top

Damaris
  Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:42 pm
Dataleach

And here's a mailbox!

I know, I know; I'm producing progressively worse graphics. shh. C&C appreciated.

Top Top

Luthur
  Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:24 pm
(aka fox5)
Sponsor

There is way too much dithering going on there. That's what's making it look so grainy. Seriously, cut down on the dithering.

Top Top

Damaris
  Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:14 pm
Dataleach

fox5 wrote:
There is way too much dithering going on there. That's what's making it look so grainy. Seriously, cut down on the dithering.

Actually - I did cut it down...
A couple of times...
*cuts it down much more*

Perhaps I've put too much contrast between my colors/pallet? idk.
C&C?

Top Top

TheInquisitor
  Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:26 pm
Jobless Bum
Sponsor

No. If anything you don't have enough. However, the big, blatantly obvious problem is that you've got way too many colours in there. You only need like 4 or 5...6 max. I've just brought up the colour counter on Paint Shop Pro and it says 80 colours!!! Should be looking at something like 5-8. Also, you're over dithering like crazy. Keep it simple.

Top Top

Damaris
  Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:08 am
Dataleach

Hey hey!
I've decided to make this thread a my Sprite thread. Much of my products will be franken-sprites and at the moment most of it will be for games in a modern setting.
Anyway, here the results of my work so far.
C&C appreciated!

Top Top

Luthur
  Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:48 pm
(aka fox5)
Sponsor

Love the bill board. Great use of lighting there.

Top Top

Sparx-1
  Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:04 pm

Absolutely astounding! This is definitely the best city tileset I've seen for RMXP. Looking forward to seeing the complete product! ^^

Top Top

Damaris
  Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:14 am
Dataleach

Bricks are just an overlay of original pixel-art - (Yay I made pixels) - onto the RTP wall set (after I added the additional wall-parts). Think they might be a tad bright but I couldnt get a better brick colour.

Top Top

Damaris
  Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:41 pm
Dataleach

TELEVISION!

Yes/no?

This one is completely original, so I'm posting it in the wrong place technically. I hope it's okay for the sake of keeping this set together. o.O

Edit: Yes it is quite large.

Top Top

Damaris
  Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:29 am
Dataleach

COMPUTER!!!!

This one took a little longer, It's again mostly original... the color pallet was pretty much stolen from some pixel art I found online. I think the extra effort i put into it shows. For a little fun I remade my own computer, keyboard and mouse in the same style. The background was also taken from an uncreditable source, but its just a placeholder for whatever you want to go on the screen:P

For fun I attempted to re-create my computer's color, keyboard and mouse; here are teh results.

Edit: I've kept trying to make it smaller, I think I may need to make it smaller again though. What do you think?

Top Top

silver wind
  Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:18 pm
Chompil

Looking great, keep them coming :D
I think the TV's colors are too dark, also the computer is white but its base is black?

Top Top

Damaris
  Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:28 pm
Dataleach

I felt that the high black/white contrast for the computer was necessary to make an obvious distinction between the base and computer, I did tried a couple of alternatives in the design however this was my personal preference of colors and made the most sense at the time. I do however entirely agree with you on the first point, the TV needs a touch of a revamp (I pretty much suck at picking color pallets).

Top Top

-Wallace-
  Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:50 pm

I love this moedern tileset stuff! I think i am going to use it in a game (my first :huh:)

Keep It Up!

Top Top

silver wind
  Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:28 pm
Chompil

Oh, I see. also you can't add the green light bulb on white base.

Top Top

Damaris
  Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:35 am
Dataleach

It does look a little dull there, I'll probably take that off in the next version. Thanks, I probably wouldn't have picked up on that. I'm thinking i may try and make the base look more like a mac base - how they're curved under the screen. Just not sure how to make a curved appearance in that perspective-_-

Top Top

Luthur
  Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:34 pm
(aka fox5)
Sponsor

I've spotted an error. Because you used the roof tile as the basis of your road, the bottom of the tile is about 6 pixels too high up. Meaning when you use it, you end up with a gap between the end of the road and the pavement. You might want to move it down.

Top Top

Damaris
  Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:40 pm
Dataleach

Yeah, I noticed that as soon as I finished it and went to use it - it's live-with-able but defiantly a pain to work with. I'll be modifying it soon enough to match up all proper and whatnot. I'll also have to re-align the road-paint. All in all it should be a very easy job to fix - just wanted to get into some new stuff first.

Top Top

unugeorge
  Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:56 pm
...and his invisible friends

Purrfect! Looks awesome, nice job! But how can I use the actual street?

Top Top

Damaris
  Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:01 am
Dataleach

At the moment you'd have to integrate it into a tileset yourself, its not a lot of work but I cant be bothered explaining it. Otherwise you could wait until this tileset is complete and download it then.

Top Top