Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
    Xilef
  Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:47 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Excellent. It's a friends and family server basically for me to show off my Mojang developer cape once I get that in January. Waiting for the DNS servers to settle before giving out the address and adding people to the whitelist.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 am

Inept Evil Stooge

I've thought a few times over the years that I might want to give Minecraft a try. I can just never justify paying $30 for an old video game. I don't have enough time to play the huge number of free games I get from Epic, GoG, and Humble. I might consider buying Minecraft if it ever went on sale for $5 or something. That's roughly my ceiling for buying anything on Steam now.

Top Top

benos
  Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:54 am
"I'm gonna have to take out the trash sooner or later".

Catherine, sort of like Tetris or something.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:36 am

Inept Evil Stooge

I'm playing through Wasteland 2 right now. (Got it free at GoG.) I love it. I really enjoyed the early Fallout games, and this definitely gives me the same feeling.

One irritating thing though is that I remember being able to press spacebar in old Fallout in order to start turn-based mode. That way I could get all of my guys (I guess that must have been Fallout Tactics then?) into position before the fight starts. But in Wasteland 2, pressing spacebar only switches me to individual movement mode, and the fight often starts before I've set up my guys.

And the icon for punching--or just not having a weapon in that slot--is a fist closed around the thumb. Seriously, why would anyone do that? Has not every kid in America learned how to punch someone properly by the age of six? How did the artist, art director, and playtesters let this game get away with desert rangers who make fists like a bunch of little sissies?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:03 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Last couple nights I've been playing FF9 on ps3. "Speedrunning" but I'm not very good at it. Or rather, I'm not very lucky. I really just wanted to try getting Excalibur II which requires you get to the final dungeon under 12 hours. I made it to the Desert Palace at 11 hours so I knew I wasn't going to make it.
So much of it is just avoiding encounters, they really add up. You can button smash through all the cutscenes, run straight from plot point to plot point, ignore the optional events and most chests, and still not make it. I don't think equipment and item management is that big of a factor unless you're aiming for a world record. There's stuff that people equip for safety, immunity abilities or element-absorb accessory. But for the most part it's all about avoiding battles.
I remember someone spent hours trying to get the perfect save file. Running from save point to save point without encounters.

Top Top

Xilef
  Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:58 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

coyotecraft wrote:
Last couple nights I've been playing FF9 on ps3. "Speedrunning" but I'm not very good at it. Or rather, I'm not very lucky. I really just wanted to try getting Excalibur II which requires you get to the final dungeon under 12 hours.

I wanted to do an Excalibur II run but I've had the impression that 80% of the work is planning the route, what items you get, what level you'll be at to feasibly beat bosses, not a speed-run but an attempt at good execution (some encounters are likely desired for levelling up, eat, ability points, steal items, etc).

Every now and then I play a chunk of the game again and end up stealing the rare from a boss first try and that makes me wish I had reset optimised such luck prior.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I just got to the end of Disk 1 in 3hrs. The speedrunners on youtube have 2.5hrs so I don't think that's too bad. Sometimes you hit a bad room with like 3 encounters in a row. That could easily take 5mins just trying to run/flee.
My previous Disk 1 end time was 4hrs and something. But I picked up Quina and learned Limit Glove thinking I was going cheese the bosses with that. But it's not very time efficient, I also forgot to visit the chocobo forest which would save time getting to and from the black mage village.

Top Top

Fayte
  Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:02 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I tried playing escape from tarkov and that game is HARDDDDD

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191