Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

bacon
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:50 am
butts n booties
Staff

Party Mascot
Final Fantasy XIII

I know like a ton of people are psyched about this game and is highly anticipated by new and old fans of the series.

Story

The plot of Final Fantasy XIII takes place in a world known as Pulse and revolves around the story of the fal'Cie , mechanical beings with godlike power created from crystals residing inside them. People who are marked by the fal'Cie for greater purposes are called l'Cie Each l'Cie has a Focus, a goal the fal'Cie wants him or her to fulfill within a certain amount of time; however, the fal'Cie do not explicitly say what the goal is: l'Cie learn what their Focus is by interpreting visions that are given to them. L'Cie gain the ability to summon Eidolons (monsters who fight with the l'Cie), but this ability comes with a price: if a l'Cie dies before completing his or her Focus, fails to tame his or her Eidolon, or fails to complete his or her Focus within a set period of time, he or she becomes a monster known as a Cie'th . If a l'Cie does complete his or her Focus, the reward is not much better: permanent transformation into a crystal. For this reason, being chosen as a l'Cie is seen as a curse.

Some 1,300 years ago, a fal'Cie named Orphan constructed a paradise for humanity: the shell-like city of Cocoon, which floats high above the surface of Pulse. Then Orphan created life forms and machines for Cocoon's inhabitants to use, and humanity flourished. A war was fought between the Pulse and Cocoon, and Cocoon prevailed. However, fear lingered in the hearts of the people of Cocoon, for the day another invasion might come from the world beneath again.

Lightning, the main protagonist

Although most Cocoon citizens have never seen Pulse with their own eyes, they have been told that it is a dangerous place that has strange effects on those who venture down to its surface. Consequently, anyone who is discovered to have visited Pulse is immediately subjected to quarantine and exile by the theocratic government of Cocoon, known as the Sanctum. The Sanctum enforces this policy with its strongest military branch, PSICOM.

As Snow leads the resistance group, Team Nora, in an attempt to stop the purging of civilians, the mysterious Lightning fights her way past PSICOM soldiers with the aid of Sazh to find a Pulse fal'Cie, Anima, who turned her sister, Serah (who is also Snow's fiancée), into a l'Cie. Through a chain of events, these three, along with two exiles, Vanille and Hope, are forced by the fal'Cie of Pulse to become l'Cie, and with that became enemies of humanity with the Focus of bringing about the downfall of Orphan and Cocoon.

Snow, another main character

Gameplay

Basics of Battle

The concept for Final Fantasy XIII's battle system is to maintain the strategic nature of command-based battles. The system stemmed from a desire to create battles similar to those found in Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. Like those in Final Fantasy XII, enemies are integrated into the world environment. However, unlike Final Fantasy XII, battles do not take place in the same "dimension", instead there is a short transition and players are transported to a new battle screen, separate from the main playing world. The Active Time Battle (ATB) system will return, but it will work differently from its predecessors. Users will be able to chain large numbers of commands together in order to achieve attack bonuses. The Final Fantasy XIII battle system, with the option to use "Paradigm Shift"

Multiple commands can be stacked into slots per turn and released at the same time to form a combo. The number of command slots increases as the characters grow in strength. These commands include series staples such as Attack, Fire, Blizzard and Cure, as well as new ones such as Ruin, Ruinaga, and Radial Strike. The difference between XIII's battle system and the ATB gauge is that these commands can still be placed in the slots even though the bar has run out, and the actions will be executed once the required slots are filled up. The game does not make use of MP but introduces "cost points" for each command, which determine how many times the commands can be used per turn. Because magic cannot be used outside of battle, the Hit Point (HP) of the party is completely restored after each battle.

Doing some damage in battle

When engaging an enemy, the camera moves to another position and the battle menu appears, making the battle transitions nearly seamless. The after-battle victory screen in XIII holds information such as the time it took to finish the battle, the highest number of combos executed, the number of break attacks and the quality of battle which is determined by a ranking of one to five stars. The party will be able to purchase new weapons in the game for use in battle.

A "Break State" is one of the new features of the Final Fantasy XIII battle system. The breaks refer to the times an enemy enters a state of reduced retaliation. This occurs when a chain combo has been maintained for a certain period of time on an enemy, filling a bar to maximum. When a high level combo has been achieved, the enemy will glow red and enter this state, during which the player will be able to inflict high amounts of damage and knock some enemies high into the air. The chain bar will gradually deplete during this period; when it becomes empty, the break state ends.

Roles and Paradigms

The "Role" system exists in order to control what abilities are available to characters in battle. Rather than having all abilities available to characters as they are learned, abilities are restricted to certain Roles, similar to the Job system of previous installments. The Japanese version's Roles are Attacker, Blaster, Defender, Enhancer, Jammer, and Healer, while the English localization calls them Commando, Ravager, Sentinel, Synergist, Saboteur and Medic, respectively. Commandos strike with physical, non-elemental attacks; Ravagers use elemental abilities like Frost Blow and Thundaga; Sentinels provoke and absorb enemy attacks, and dish out counterattacks; Synergists use buffs like Shell and Brave, while Saboteurs use debuffs like DeShell and Bio; and Medics exclusively heal, using abilities like Cura, Raise, and Esuna. Roles, with a specific purpose in mind for each, are the only means by which to direct ally AI.

Not even slimes stand a chance

Each character may only take on one role at a time, and each combination of three Roles for a given party is called a "Paradigm". Up to six Paradigm combinations may be stored at any one time. During battle, players may switch between them on-the-fly, called a "Paradigm Shift". Timing Paradigm Shifts correctly can fill the ATB gauges, making switching frequently in battle an advantage.

The Crystarium

The leveling system for the game is called the Crystarium System which resembles the Sphere Grid in Final Fantasy X. Instead of gaining experience points after winning a battle, characters gain CP (Crystal Points) which can then be spent in order to unlock abilities and increase attributes such as maximum HP. Every character has a Crystarium, and within it, different sections corresponding to each Role the character has available.

The leveling system

The Crystarium is not initially available within the game, and only becomes available through story sequences. After that point, levels in the Crystarium become unlocked as the story progresses, essentially capping the amount of growth that can be achieved in the middle of the game. Every character initially specializes in up to three Roles, and the other Roles are not even available in their Crystariums until much later in the game.

Summons

The classic summoned creatures called Eidolons return in Final Fantasy XIII. Each character possesses only one Eidolon that is summoned from a crystal that sprouts from the character's mark of l'Cie.[12] The Eidolons include series staples Odin, Shiva, Alexander, and Bahamut, and newcomers Hecatoncheir and Brynhildr. When summoned, the Eidolon stay in battle while the characters accompanying the summoner leaves the party. There is also a new feature called "Gestalt Mode", which when activated joins the summoned and its summoner; Snow can ride and steer the combined Shiva Sisters which is a motorcycle, Vanille's Hecatoncheir can transform into a bipedal mech with machine gun turrets in which she can control, and Sazh can ride and steer Brynhildr as a race car. This changes the pace of the combat significantly. But not all summons turn into mechanical vehicles; Odin's Gestalt Mode changes him into a horse for Lightning to ride on, Bahamut's Gestalt Mode is a flight mode for Fang to ride on, while Alexander's Gestalt Mode changes him into a large castle which surrounds the enemy and fires lasers at them from all sides. The summons play a major role in the game's storyline as well, much like Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy X.

Lightning's summon

Previews and Reviews

"IGN Preview"

IGN Preview II

IGN UK Review

IGN AU Review

Edge Review

Something Awful, Mini Review

Media

Homesite: http://www.final-fantasy-13.net/banner1.jpg

Eh, its early but whatevs. I didn't want some prune-juiced moron making the thread instead. :3

You know the drill, talk about the game: what looks cool, what doesn't look cool, your experience, what you think overall etc.

Last edited by bacon on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Top Top

Mega Flare
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:35 am
What is your weapon of choice,
What's your weapon of choice
There is no weapon to free us all
Awesome Bro

im looking forward but from what i hear this is one of the worst final fantasy games of all time. 360 version gimped it

Top Top

moog
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:06 am
Sponsor

For once im gonna agree with mf; ive heard that this is the worst final fantasy yet

Top Top

mawk
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:28 am

wth is Break and why do we need a percentage accurate to a tenth of a point

guys how much break is there goddamnit 172% that's not precise enough guys we need to fix this stat

like it's a small thing but squeenix jrpgs lately have developed an insane fetish for numbers and unnecessary displays. look up The Last Remnant.

anyway about the game

I'm not looking forward to it, really. the aesthetic is ugh as usual, the gameplay seems bloated in some places and starved in others, and in general it seems like it's trying its best to exemplify what I hate about jrpgs

could change once I play it but I'm not sure

░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▒░▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▓▒░░▒▓▒░░▒▓░░░░░░░
ImageImageImage

Top Top

psiclone
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:08 am

this game is going to be a huge piece of garbage. only reason why it's going to "sell well" is because xbox fanboys get a ff game on "their" console. the game's scenery is terrible. look at the landscape.. not a tree or blade of grass in sight (i see you up there in the corner, you single gigantic thing). just boring textures. what games don't have grass anymore? summons turn into vehicles... what? no townspeople to talk to? who the fuck labeled this a ff game? gtfo and diaf.

Top Top

moog
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:23 am
Sponsor

uh dude the game looks INCREDIBLE thats not why it sucks at all

poor story and characters
no world map
no towns
no item shops
point A to point B dungeon layout
shortest ff since IV (from what ive heard)
confusing and repetative battle system

Top Top

moog
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:25 am
Sponsor

look at us we are remaking FF X for the next gen console through thinly veiled plot and mysterious characters!! yahhoooo squareenix fo' life son

Top Top

Fusty
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:22 am
Woop
Sponsor

I like how people hate this game just because it's coming out on the 360. :)
Anyway, I've been waiting for this for a long time, I can always enjoy a jrpg even though it has it's flaws.
But after seeing the list above, I'm starting to doubt this game...

Quote:
no world map
no towns
no item shops

I mean, no world map and towns??
Does that mean all I will be doing is roaming through dungeons?

Top Top

Aepriz
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:38 pm
What a surprise!

watermelon's wrote:

no world map
no towns
no item shops

Poor story and characters= All FF's except for 6 and 4
No world map = FFX anyone?
No Towns= there are, when you reache pulse
Poin A to B= again, any FF has this
Shortest FF ever since 4= eugmm 1,5,12 where shorter then 4 already.
Battle system shit= if your stupid mayby, the system looks easie, just fast paced, and c'mon it can't eb any more repetive then the turn based things where used ;)

I'm looking forward to it, the battle system looks pretty fun, and any review if red so far praises it. I'm sick of that turn based crap so bring this on!

BUT I DO NOT LIKE THE FUCK UP SUMMONS, and the growth cap by story.
Oh well I knew square wasn't going to make another FF6, but as long as its a good game I'm gonna enjoy it.

Top Top

Kuahewa huki 'ino
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:56 pm
HUGE JERK

Aepriz wrote:

FF9 has excellent characters, and FF10 has Wakka. And if you want to nitpick, each character in FF6 had about five lines of dialogue.

Quote:

FFX also had a continmerous map, though. FF13 is using a steamroll-Point-A-to-Point-B formula with no backtracking.

Quote:

Yyyyyyyeah no, there aren't.

Quote:

Yet somehow, they aren't nearly as linear.

Quote:

"Since 4" kind of precludes FF1. FF5 is longer in content, and 12 is in fact so long that you will find yourself spending the upwards of 60 hours mucking around in dungeons.

Quote:
Battle system shit= if your stupid mayby, the system looks easie, just fast paced, and c'mon it can't eb any more repetive then the turn based things where used ;)

So you like watching the AI do things for you? You might as well play Madden and watch the game play against itself, goddamn.

I don't see why people like this crap so much. It's not even interactive anymore; at least clicking Attack a million times in a turn-based JRPG gave you the illusion of doing something, whereas FF13 doesn't even pretend to let you play.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to it, the battle system looks pretty fun, and any review if red so far praises it.

Where, Gamefaqs? GamePro Magazine, maybe? Dearie, you can't trust reviews these days, unless they're jaded, independent, and professionals--best if they have nothing to do with the game industry; all other reviwers are either paid off or hideous basement-dwelling fanboys.

You know what demographics are good to get reviews from? Both 1) parents and 2) working professionals (authors and other creative-type professionals don't count), given that they play video games. Employees don't need shit games to waste what time they do have to entertain their hobby with; parents are generally old enough to have a good objective idea of a "golden age of games," have little enough of luxury to be very picky about which games they spend their time on, and they have to be wary about what they play around their children.

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Well someone was kind enough to show us the maps of the first 3 chapters of the game (There's 13, nice gimmick!)

Large Image!!!

That's just one of the many reasons I'm not buying it.

They've focused more on the emotions of an emo lead character, than the actual gameplay and anywhere of a decent plot... that doesn't exist in this world, these people are just outcasts. niiiice.

The summons look RIDICULOUS!!! I saw Final Fantasy XIII: The Motion Picture in the cinema last year, I think it was called "Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen"...

Another nitpick for me with the summons... WHERE THE FUCK IS IFRIT?!?!?! NERDRAGEJFWQEOIRUPQW;OW3R

They actually stooped so low as to choose one of my most hated songs as the "official" song fur the US/EU release... Leona Lewis- My Hands or something stupid like that, I don't even know the song but I fucking hate it.

The graphics, to be honest, don't even look as revolutionary as they make out, seriously, as Psiclone said, the terrains seem too flat, especially the floors, heck, White Knight Chronicles is 2 years old and manages more scenery

There's no towns in the game, and SE even said in an official statement that it'd be too much work, if anyone would like to argue against me, I can post a link with evidence of it.

There are no shops to buy items or weapons, you have to do it all at a savepoint, but you don't buy weapons, you just upgrade your existing ones, so they look the same, just different colour, no thanks.

You can't buy potions from these save points, oh no, the only way to get them is through battle rewards.

When in battle, you have 3 people, but can only control 1 of them, the videos look as if you can walk around in battles, fuck no, that's all automated, what the fuck?!

Furthermore, if your 1 character dies in battle, game over, even if the other people survive.

When you exit the battle, AUTO HEALZOR!!! gay.

If you DO die in a battle, you can restart... from the start of the battle, some people think this is an advantage, not me, they're making it too easy...

And I've heard the game is very short, I don't like short RPGs (Although White Knight Chronicles is short, it has an online which lasts tons longer...)

I could probably think up more reasons as to why I'm not buying it, but seriously, I can't be arsed...

Fail Fantasy 13.

Anyone notice how 13 is an unlucky number, and this is getting bad feedback, whereas 7 is a lucky number, and Final Fantasy 7 is supposedly the "best" Final Fantasy game... strange.]

PS. The screenshot of WKC I posted isn't the best, infact, it looks TONS nicer, that's just a bad quality picture, but shows what I mean with the environments etc.

Top Top

moog
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:23 pm
Sponsor

Aepriz wrote:
watermelon's wrote:

no world map
no towns
no item shops

I'm looking forward to it, the battle system looks pretty fun, and any review if red so far praises it. I'm sick of that turn based crap so bring this on!

BUT I DO NOT LIKE THE FUCK UP SUMMONS, and the growth cap by story.
Oh well I knew square wasn't going to make another FF6, but as long as its a good game I'm gonna enjoy it.

ahahahahh i was totally gonna reply with this with a long page full comment but kuahewa (nice job, btw) beat me to it

Top Top

Perihelion
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
Man, fuck, I was excited about this game when news of it first started getting out--I'm a sucker for female leads for obvious reasons--but this game sounds terrible. I'll probably play it eventually, but I'm sure not shelling out a lot of cash for it if it sucks this much.

Top Top

No ID
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:18 pm
Do I have to?
Sponsor

I saw a black guy. I wanna play.

Top Top

Kuahewa huki 'ino
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:22 pm
HUGE JERK

No ID wrote:

Apparently he is the only character in the ENTIRE CAST who isn't utterly annoying and clinically retarded.

And he's the joke character.

Top Top

Mega Flare
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:23 pm
What is your weapon of choice,
What's your weapon of choice
There is no weapon to free us all
Awesome Bro

im going to beat this game in one sitting.

Top Top

No ID
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:27 pm
Do I have to?
Sponsor

Kuahewa huki 'ino wrote:
No ID wrote:

Apparently he is the only character in the ENTIRE CAST who isn't utterly annoying and clinically retarded.

And he's the joke character.

As long as he doesn't die first, I don't mind him being the Chris Tucker of the group. lol

Top Top

psiclone
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:02 pm

A 2 year old White Knight Chronicles:
Content Hidden

Yes, WKC is fairly linear, but at least there IS quite a bit of optional exploration closer to the end of the game (in fact, the last few dungeons are so friggin big I got annoyed and just gave up).

A yet-to-be-released FF13:
Content Hidden

Incredibly linear dungeons, as J-Christ has shown.

A FOUR YEAR OLD Final Fantasy 12:
Content Hidden

I don't know anything about 12 because I never played it, but just from the scenery.. 12 already has more going for it than 13.

Top Top

moog
  Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:46 pm
Sponsor

i dont see a differance tbh

13 looks amazing and so far thats the only good thing ive seen. but fans will flock to it just cause it has lol ff in the title

and i really wouldnt call this the first ff in a while with a main character; yuna was the main character of 10 although it was pretty much through tidus' eyes, and ashe pretty much became the main hero of 12 cause lets face it, vaan is a backstory char (they gave him rw as the main char)

Top Top

moxie
  Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:11 am
singin potatoes

I've never been much of a Final Fantasy person, so I get the feeling that me coming in here and complaining would be like going into the Mario Galaxy thread and screaming "NOT ENOUGH STRATEGY IN BATTLES OR CONVERSATION OPTIONS, IT'S JUST A HACK-FEST."

But whatever, I'll give my unnecessary opinion anyway 'cause that's just how I roll. :toot:

I don't see much of anything that sets this apart from previous installments or improves on the series in any meaningful way.

The battle system seems completely unappealing, to say the least. It looks... like a slightly more dynamic version of FFX-2, only with all pretense of "strategy" abandoned, because your party members are controlled by the A.I. now. The character customization appears to be a re-skinned sphere grid, but I'm sure a devout Final Fantasy fan could tie me to a chair, pull out a couple of charts and graphs, and explain to me in excruciating detail how exactly they're different.

Unless I'm mistaken, and I would actually be pretty happy if I am - the plot looks like typical hackneyed Squeenix melodrama that's completely lacking any kind of self-awareness. I can forgive bad gameplay if the premise is enjoyable and the characters are complex and intriguing, or vise versa, but most of the Final Fantasy offerings I've played are just so unbearably pretentious and juvenile while the game itself is stagnant and intensely unfun. And that's a terrible combination.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but it seems like this one is even stripping away some of the aspects that the hardcore jRPG fans are into, like towns/world map/exploration and so on.

But the one thing I actually like... I really dig the music I've heard, tbh. :x

Top Top

Mundane
  Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:17 am
Kind of back...

From the looks of it, this is just one more reason why I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since IX. I used to blame it on Hironobu's exodus, but after three shitty attempts to get it right... :crazy: Good luck recovering from this one, Square Enix.

Top Top

bashful crobat
  Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:54 pm

we all know a million fffags will buy it on release regardless of what anyone who's actually played says because anyone who criticises sqeenix is a tasteless uneducated hater

Top Top

Daxis
  Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:11 pm
The arrow lives frugally.

meh. ff installments don't really draw me except for the fact that I liked ff9 and 4 and wanna keep playing the franchise.

What I'm really hoping for is ffversus13. I'm just hoping they won't fuck that one up.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Daxis
  Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:18 pm
The arrow lives frugally.

and, of course, these:

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Kuahewa huki 'ino
  Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:49 pm
HUGE JERK

bashful crobat wrote:
we all know a million fffags will buy it on release regardless of what anyone who's actually played says because anyone who criticises sqeenix is a tasteless uneducated hater

If you read press releases, this is what Enix actually said about people who dislike FF13's story.

Top Top

Venetia
  Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:11 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

I almost always skip through battles in RPGs as fast as possible to get to towns, no matter how good the system. So ... This game is not appealing to me at all.

Top Top

mawk
  Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:23 pm

hahaha. Kua, where can I find this press release?

░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▒░▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▓▒░░▒▓▒░░▒▓░░░░░░░
ImageImageImage

Top Top

moxie
  Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:04 pm
singin potatoes

Kuahewa huki 'ino wrote:
bashful crobat wrote:

If you read press releases, this is what Enix actually said about people who dislike FF13's story.

This... wouldn't surprise me at all, actually. Those smug bastards piss me right the fuck off. Do you have any links to this?

P.S., Kuah You best be keeping your Star Ocean 2 LP going motherfucker. :box: :box: Unless I'm mistaken about your identity in which case DISREGARD THIS.

Top Top

Kuahewa huki 'ino
  Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:57 pm
HUGE JERK

Aw shit, my secret idenitity is blown. Though I guess it's not THAT secret.

Can't find the one I want at the moment, but here's a good excerpt:
http://kotaku.com/5472712/square-enix-attempts-to-explain-low-western-reviews

Basically, "you westerners with your nonlinear games are too shallow to understand our design decisions"

Top Top

moxie
  Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 pm
singin potatoes

Quote:
"We think many reviewers are looking at Final Fantasy XIII from a western point of view," says Toriyama in a recent issue of Xbox World 360. "When you look at most Western RPGs, they just dump you in a big open world, and let you do whatever you like..." Toriyama adds that it "becomes very difficult to tell a compelling story when you're given that much freedom".

Because the "writers" of Final Fantasy (I have to put quotation marks around it to keep myself from chuckling.) totally have a firm grasp on what makes a compelling story, judging by the way they completely botch any attempt at a mature, meaningful plot.

Clearly us wacky, beer-swilling, baseball-watching bakka gaijins know nothing of a "compelling story" because we enjoy well-written, complex characters and strong, thematic storytelling in our RPGs instead of one-note androgynous dipshits with ridiculous hairstyles going from Plot Point A to Plot Point B for utterly contrived reasons with no input from the player besides pressing the joystick and spamming "X" or your console's equivalent thereof, watching a ten minute cutscene and repeating ad nauseum.

When developers get apathetic like that and start making excuses instead of attempting to improve, the series as a whole suffers.

Now that I have all of that out of the system, I'll stop fagging up the thread, honest. ;)

Top Top