Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Fayte
  Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:37 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
What difficulty do you play your video games on?

This subject lightly came up in the What games are you playing thread and I'd like to talk about it a little more.

I always (as long as there is an option to) change my difficulty to the hardest mode at the beginning of every game I purchase. Why? because it's so much more challenging and in the end it's even more rewarding.

Needless to say you can also gloat to your friends, or anyone for that matter, about how you beat the same exact game that they played on a harder difficulty. Even more so if the time you played the game was less.

[I beat Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on the hardest difficulty in 8 hours]

So what are your thoughts on the matter?

Top Top

Aepriz
  Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:02 pm
What a surprise!

I always choose for the easiest of normall difficulty.
I want games to be enjoying, and easie is good for this.

Hard mostly is to frustrating (well there are execption , Crushing in Uncharted 1,2 and survivor without vita in bioshock are rather easie). But Elite on Killzone ... IS NOT FUN AT ALL.

if it wasn't for trophys I think I wouldn't even play the hardest difficulty, because I enjoy games way less if there hard.

Top Top

psiclone
  Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:03 pm

││█║▌│║▌║ ▌│║▌║ ▌││ wrote:
yea i always choose the highest difficulty available at the beginning too. it's pretty much because there are a lot of games that have extra things in them on the hardest difficulty so i kind of just default to the hardest mode, plus it's fun too.

pretty much that

Top Top

Jason
  Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:18 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
And what extra things do they have except a whole dose of stress and fustration?

I play my games on either Easy or Normal, for the fact that I want to play my games to enjoy them, not to scream at my TV because I keep dying in the same area every time...

Top Top

No ID
  Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:27 pm
Do I have to?
Sponsor

If your not throwing a controller or screaming at the tv in frustration, you're not having fun.

Top Top

Fusty
  Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 pm
Woop
Sponsor

I usually start with a game on normal, pretty much what some of the others above me said, the game has to be fun not frustrating.
If I've already finished the game or it's a sequel to another game and handles the same, I pick higher difficulty levels because games aren't fun when they're too easy either.

Top Top

Fayte
  Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:41 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
No ID wrote:
If your not throwing a controller or screaming at the tv in frustration, you're not having fun.

This my friend is exactly how I feel.

I agree with barcode too but in recent games they don't offer anything except trophies... I'm not one to be a trophy whore so I choose the hardest difficulty mainly out of habit and for the competition [ with my friends and against the AI]

COD:MW2 is a game I started on the hardest difficulty even though the only one i played before that was Big Red One.

It broke my soul for a long time.. but in the end I conquered it.

Top Top

united washcloth express
  Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:20 pm
Silenced Security
Sponsor

L1 Slime
I choose the hardest difficulty because games are so much easier now. Funny thing is that 'Hard' in America is Japan's Medium. Hard in Japan is Europe's easy to Medium. Europeans are pretty hardcore.

Also, I usually complain out loud about the stupid things games have you do, along with how parts could have been improved. Enemies usually take longer to kill on hard mode, so it gives me extra time to complain :grin:

Top Top

psiclone
  Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:03 pm

No ID wrote:

whenever i start swearing and getting pissed off at a game, my girlfriend keeps asking me why i keep playing. it's like.. you just don't get it :(

besides, i get back at her when she can't beat something in zelda, so nyah

Top Top

Kuahewa huki 'ino
  Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:07 pm
HUGE JERK

Jbrist wrote:
I play my games on either Easy or Normal, for the fact that I want to play my games to enjoy them, not to scream at my TV because I keep dying in the same area every time...

Yeah, games are my theraputic thing. It's been this way with me for years and years. The easier of a time I can have without playing on the specifically-"you can't die ever"-easiest setting, the better.

I'll play on Normal unless something really ridiculous happens, but to me, it's just numbers. Why play on hard when what changes isn't the amount of skill or reaction you need? The only difference is that numerical or AI routine-based limiting factors are placed on the player.

Mass Effect? Shields reduced by a factor of X, or maybe enemy damage increased by it, paired with enemy HP increased by Y or an overall player damage penalty of N.

God of War, Assassin's Creed, etc.? The game just modifies hidden numbers when calculating how much damage you take, or reduces how much damage you deal, maybe increases the number of enemies you have to concern yourself with.

Even fighting games aren't "smarter" on the hardest difficulty; when programming AI routines, most companies include an "input reader" script that looks up what the button combination you're doing does per the character you're playing as, instantly checks its database for the best programmed counter for the character it's using, and uses it--for lack of a better analogy, it just throws Scissors after it's already seen that you've shown Paper. In turn the only way to counter this is to use characters for whom the programmers accidentally programmed the wrong counter--it's no longer a test of skill, because it's just the game cheating its proverbial brains out.

Sports games etc. just start checking the play you're running, or narrowing your RNG space.

Then you have older games, which just generated a greater number of dangerous hitboxes or had enemies move faster. This is a proper sort of challenge to your reflexes, but I'm already prematurely gray enough for any more of that kind of stress, dearies.

Top Top

Mega Flare
  Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:14 pm
What is your weapon of choice,
What's your weapon of choice
There is no weapon to free us all
Awesome Bro

mostly i play games on normal but if I like the game a lot il play it on harder difficulty. I just hate on some games that hard isnt that hard -.- Infamous was piss easy on hard same with Modern warfare 2

Top Top

bashful crobat
  Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:16 pm

I like games easy if I can't be arsed doing anything and I'm just killing time until something more interesting comes along.

When I actually playing without being idle, I like them as hard as the settings go :>

Odin Sphere Heroic Mode made be break a ps2 controller, and I could swear GrimGrimoire Hard Mode left me voiceless from ragegrowling at it

Top Top

No ID
  Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:11 am
Do I have to?
Sponsor

Me I'm very competitive so If I get a game like Madden or NBA2k I'll put it on the hardest difficulty and jump right in there. Sure it's frustrating at first but once you master it, it's that much more satisfying. Same goes for fighting games. I think of myself as a game genius who can master any game and so I love a challenge, I welcome difficult games with open arms, as long as the game holds my interest. I'm not gonna waste my time, energy, tears, and 50$ controller(s) to master a stupid/boring ass game.

I kinda get what huki was tryna say about difficult not really relating to skill, but If you think about it, it really does. The harder the game the less room for error you have, and the better you become at that game. (If you played or knew anyone who played golden eye on one shot kill, you understand what I mean.

However there are some games that are ridiculously hard.

I almost killed my little sister a few times for laughing at me while I spaz out at for not being able to get past the first FUCKING LEVEL. :pissed:

Last edited by No ID on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

SephirothSpawn
  Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:30 am
Support/RGSS Bitch
Retired Staff

hard shouldn't mean "gd, this is impossible!" It should be something that makes you think or hard to achieve without causing the game to be snapped. I love games that are actually somewhat of a challenge personally. you should not be able to play through it without dying. it shouldn't be a walk through the park. you should actually have to come up with some plan to get through things. otherwise... what really is the point?

I am always looking for scripts to look over and offer my advice on people's coding. If you want your script reviewed and to further develop your scripting skills, just put a [Review] tag in your topic. I will always post in any scripting topic marked [Review] offering whatever advice I can give.

Top Top

candle
  Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 am
gamer. reader. writer.
Sponsor

I generally will play on normal, but if i want to get through a game especially quickly (happening more often as I have a rather large backlog of games), I'll bump it down to the easiest difficulty. the only times I play on the harder levels is if it's my second or more time through. I think I actually enjoyed Bioshock on hard more than I did the first time on easy.

Top Top

Fayte
  Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:03 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I just can't see myself playing on easy... Even if hard is ridiculously hard [Oblivion... it's taking me an hour to kill one guy (after dying and reloading) and I still haven't killed him yet]. I mean I don't really see wanting to beat them quickly as an excuse because really.. what's the rush? Are you renting them from Blockbuster or something? Because if you've purchased them you literally have all the time in the world to complete them.

Top Top

Daxis
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:44 am
The arrow lives frugally.

I like playing on all levels of gameplay, although I have a tendency to get play normal or easy the first time through, and then go hard mode on those suckers. It;s the gaming experience. Normal for the game, easy to feel good about yourself, and hard mode for that wtf this is tough experience.

Except touhou. I'll play it on lunatic for laughs at how fast I die, then go back to normal and make myself feel good for being so awesome on normal.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

No ID
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:45 am
Do I have to?
Sponsor

I can never ever play a game on easy. It just doesn't feel right. It should be against the law for people over the age of 10 to play on easy. Seriously, how do you feel accomplished once the game is finished?

Top Top

Daxis
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:32 am
The arrow lives frugally.

it feels fun. It feels good. You go through, blast the muther effers away, and laugh maniacally at how bad you pwned them. There's no need for a feeling of accomplishment here, it's just for some goddamned self gratification.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

candle
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:02 am
gamer. reader. writer.
Sponsor

Fayte wrote:
I just can't see myself playing on easy... Even if hard is ridiculously hard [Oblivion... it's taking me an hour to kill one guy (after dying and reloading) and I still haven't killed him yet]. I mean I don't really see wanting to beat them quickly as an excuse because really.. what's the rush? Are you renting them from Blockbuster or something? Because if you've purchased them you literally have all the time in the world to complete them.

You need to realize something. I currently own somewhere between 150-200 games, but have only completed roughly a third of that. That means I have 100-130 games to finish. On top of that, I am a full-time college student working on my second associates' degree, and I work part-time minimum wage (mostly to pay for gas, books, and more games). I have very limited free-time, and yet I still play between 10-15 hours a week (that's about 1.5-2 hours a day on average). So forgive me for playing a game on easy simply because I want it finished so I can move on to others. Unfortunately, I do not have this option in half of my games because they are old RPGs.

Top Top

No ID
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:16 am
Do I have to?
Sponsor

Daxisheart wrote:
There's no need for a feeling of accomplishment here, it's just for some goddamned self gratification.

Self gratification, what does that mean in context to completing video games if not accomplishment?

But like I stated earlier, If I'm not being challenged the game probably sucks. This is a good topic because I always wanted to know what goes on in the head of those online players who pick on weaker users or as I call it "Bum Hunt". I despise those.

Top Top

9robin3
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:25 am
Robin Andblom

Party Mascot
I use to play in NORMAL MODE. Its balanced between hard and easy enough! But with one exception, I did play KH 2 in Proud Mode (Hard Mode) it was too easy in normal and at least a little challenge in Proud (Hard mode). Still haven't beaten Sephiroth though. I bate him at lv 50 in Normal Mode :)

MY YOUTUBE

__________________________________________________________________________________________
GAMES IN PROGRESS:

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:25 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
No ID wrote:
I can never ever play a game on easy. It just doesn't feel right. It should be against the law for people over the age of 10 to play on easy. Seriously, how do you feel accomplished once the game is finished?

Well y'see, I'm a story driven guy, I love games with great storylines, half the time in games, I don't even play for the gameplay itself, but the story, and I figure why not just play the game on easy so I can continue with the story, and not have to get stressed out at anything, if you check my collection of games, most of them are pretty story driven, even though I do enjoy the gameplay in most of them. I also don't mind, at times, repetitive gameplay, I mean, as long as all the repeating is accomplishing something and not just taking me in circles, I'll happily do it.

But seriously, in a game, there's nothing better than an immersive storyline to keep you playing...

Top Top

No ID
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:42 pm
Do I have to?
Sponsor

Jbrist I can respect that response. I mean, I don't agree with it but I do respect it. If the reason you play games is to enjoy a story, by all means play on easy. But honestly your better off going to the movies or watching t.v. IMO. I play games for gameplay, the story is secondary, a great story is a bonus unless your playing a rpg.

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:22 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Yeah I know what you mean, people play games for different reasons, but it's not as simple as going to the cinema or watching TV, since obviously most games don't have film adaptions etc. and if they did, chances are they'd be terrible, lol.

Top Top

Fayte
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:25 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Yeah, I agree with No ID... Honestly, IMHO, I think that for all the guys that want to play through the game on easy just for the sake of getting through the game, they should just watch the game played on youtube and spare themselves the 60 dollars.

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:50 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Maybe so, but there's many ways to experience a story, I mean, people would prefer to read a book than to watch a film, I myself can't stand reading, I get bored after 10-20 mins of solid reading and can't find the will to continue. While watching films, sure, I can do that, but on the other hand, while playing a game, I can take control of the characters, I can decide when to do a certain part of the story, I mean, there's games that are both story driven, and offer exploration and side missions etc. to be done, you can't do "side missions" in a film now, can you? It's all a part of being immersed with the game, I love wandering around game worlds, exploring, and doing the story whenever I wish, I mean, as said, the story is the biggest part of a game for me, but alternatives are always welcome. I just can't see why people (such as yourself Fayte) think that a game isn't worth the money or time, if you're going to play it on easy, they give you a choice for a reason, no one is telling me "If you don't play the game on hard, you've justr wasted £40 and should return the game", if I'm given the choice to play a game on a multitude of difficulties, I'll take those choices, and not let people force their opinions on me, if I want to play a game on easy "just for the sake of getting through the game" and finish the story, then that's what I'll do, as opposed to putting it on hard and screaming at my TV, breaking my controllers with fustration and coming down with a serious case of stress. Capiché?

Top Top

Fayte
  Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:56 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot
yeah i understand, I didn't realize I was forcing my opinion on you until you brought it up. sorry about that bro.

and just to contradict myself a little here.. after i found out my friend was "power leveling" in oblivion, i turned down the difficult a few notches (there is no "easy, normal, hard" there is a slider where as the very beginning would be easiest and the very end would be hardest... im slid it down by about 25%).

Top Top

Spoo
  Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:18 am
Certified Bad Pun Aficionado
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I dunno, Jbrist, I kind of like facing a challenge; it makes the story later seem that much more rewarding, and it feels more like a game rather than a storybook. There are a few cases where the developers just make a portion of a game waaay too hard at times and I have to lower the difficulty (or be a fag and exploit glitches and cheats).

edit: psiclone i totally get that. ill get angry at a few times and my folks flip out and try to lecture me.

Top Top