Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

ccoa
  Wed May 10, 2006 8:09 pm

This is an approximate timeline and explanation of the events until now. If you see any mistakes or anything to add, please let me know.

March 2005: Lord_Gradient begins the upgrade of the forum to the latest version of IPB. Before finishing, he mysteriously vanishes, leaving many of the known bugs (and as yet undiscovered bugs) unfixed. These included the blogs and galleries for subscribed members, and some critical functions like mods being able to warn.

August 2005: The .net server begins acting erratically. The site goes down often, lag is nearly unbearable. Investigation reveals Bihira, .net's webhost, is having unknown technical problems with the server .net is hosted on, and cannot find the problem. They don't plan to replace the server until Febuary (!). Efforts begin to contact Lord_Gradient to move the site to a more reliable server. Members are warned of the unreliability of the server and asked to back up their topics.

November 2005: After being unable to contact Lord_Gradient through most normal means, Erk composes a letter to him and sends it by email, snail mail, and by PM to a forum he was known to be active at. The letter was posted openly in the Announcements forum, and consisted of offering to purchase the forum from Lord_Gradient, or taking over root admin and ftp access with him remaining the owner. No answer was received, although the PM, at least, is known to have been read.

December 2005: RMXP.org is created in order to back up important topics from .net and hopefully replace some of the missing site features, like a resource uploader, from .net. Some subscribers file Paypal disputes with Lord_Gradient over the still-missing blogs and galleries.

January 2006: Lord_Gradient posts his infamous "Back" topic. Despite promising to fix the problems with the forum and site, that and a topic in the hidden Project ORO forum is all he ever posts again.

March 2006: Bihira suspends RMXP.net's account for failure to pay the bill on time. It is restored the next day. Lord_Gradient is online breifly, but contacts no one, nor posts an explanation of the downtime.

April 2006: Bihira suspends RMXP.net's account for failure to pay the bill on time. This time it was down for several days. Lord_Gradient does not make an appearance.

May 2006: The staff debates and agrees to move en masse to RMXP.org, as the strain of maintaining both forums was taking its toll, and the collapse of .net is inevitable. The security flaws inherent in the old version of IPB that .net was using were graphically demonstrated when Myonosken was able to log himself in as Lord_Gradient. Erk announces the staff migration, and the forum descends into anarchy. Erk closes the forums to posting to protect them. Bihira suspends RMXP.net's account for failure to pay the bill on time. One of the members pays RMXP.net's bill. It comes back as a read-only archive.

June 2006: Bihira suspends RMXP.net's accound for failure to pay the bill on time. Lord_Gradient returns near the end of the month, and sells the .net domain name and the forum archives to Erk.

Last edited by ccoa on Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

KaitLynn
  Sat May 13, 2006 7:16 pm

;-; no edit

Thanks ccoa... I was gone from.net when all this went down... the migration happened like the day after I came back or something like that...

Nice to know whats going on :)

I can try original sprites and other styles, no guarantees.

My scripting skills are equivalent to that of mayonnaise!
My Projects

Last edited by KaitLynn on Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

UNSCleric
  Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:23 am

Wait, what the fuck happened to this thread?

Top Top

KaitLynn
  Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:25 am

We got hacked...
http://www.hbgames.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3665

My Projects

Top Top

UNSCleric
  Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:33 am

Well, the "timeline" is gone now unfortunately then, but a new site has arisen, and guess who it's by?

I will leave it up to you guys to figure it out, shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited by UNSCleric on Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

KaitLynn
  Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:39 am

Well, if ccoa has a backup or an edit of this post, then the timeline isn't completely gone should she choose to revive it.

I do apologise, but I don't know many other sites... I know there are many... I just don't know them....

I've for the most part been .net/.org exclusive... so rain or shine... I'll prolly stick it out here.

My Projects

Top Top

Erk
  Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:38 pm

Fixed the timeline.

Any word from LG at all Cleric?

I'll be seeing you, in all the old familiar places
That this heart and mind embraces
All day through

Engrish of the Moment:
I'll cheer up forever.
--
If I can't eat rice, I'm not going to live.
--
At twenteen forty o'clock I ate provision of meals.
--
The pen used by me is broken by me. I'm sad.
--
Now my favourite

Top Top

UNSCleric
  Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:45 pm

Yeah, I saw The Omen with him a week ago today. I don't know if he's planning on posting here or not though, didn't say anything about the site. The moment he came online 8 days ago though I asked him if he knew what happened to his site, and he said no, and I told him about this place, and told him that ccoa was Admin for example, and he said good, she would make a good one. That's about all that's been said, I figure(d) he'll post here sometime soon.

I get the feeling he feels bad about how it happened, especially since it was out of his control (he had to focus more on his real-life job from what I understand) and is happy you guys got along without him in the end and now have this place.

Top Top

Selwyn
  Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:53 pm

UNSCleric wrote:
he had to focus more on his real-life job from what I understand

well, at least he's got time to update his blog : http://www.xanga.com/Lord_Gradient

And if I remember correctly, cleric told us that LG couldn't access the internet...

Top Top

MUAHAA THE FRENCH
  Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:00 pm
I USED TO RUN THIS JOINT

Squall, that's from over a year ago, and before he left .net.

also she touches lil boys on their lower halfs which i don tthink s he should do but its out of my jurisdiction
http://gamingw.net/pubaccess/24779/yellowteeth.png[/img]

Top Top

Selwyn
  Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:04 pm

geez, I misread the dates -_-

I thought it was in 2006.

Top Top

Erk
  Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:56 am

Well, I have been in contact with LG now. It looks like things are going to end happily ever after; I think he has good reason for his absence, and while I know it chafes about the lack of contact, I have seen worse things from admin burnout, by far.

I'll be seeing you, in all the old familiar places
That this heart and mind embraces
All day through

Engrish of the Moment:
I'll cheer up forever.
--
If I can't eat rice, I'm not going to live.
--
At twenteen forty o'clock I ate provision of meals.
--
The pen used by me is broken by me. I'm sad.
--
Now my favourite

Top Top

UNSCleric
  Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:43 pm

There'll be some interesting events within the next few days, I've been told not to say though. :(

Top Top

G4_Fighter
  Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:33 pm

Jeeze this whole forum has went from stable to absolutly crazy in a semi-short matter of time. About a year I think correct me if I am wrong. But what is up with the hackers this year. My friend's forum got hacked this forum got hacked. I'm so confused as to why it is happening but Thx for the Timeline that helps clear alot of things up. ^^

Top Top

Karnage
  Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:52 pm

god this place has been screwed up sadly -_- but i think we will fully recover

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/8757 ... tc2hu1.gif[/IMG]

Fi yuo cna raed tihs...

Top Top

KaitLynn
  Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:58 am

I believe this post is about .net... not .org.

Really, just because the hack topic is closed, don't move the conversation to a different post. It was closed for a reason.

My Projects

Top Top

Karnage
  Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:26 pm

If you dont no what happenin to .net you dont know why u r here but i see the point but honestly if dont no what happened unless u werent a member there

Fi yuo cna raed tihs...

Top Top

ccoa
  Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:32 pm

I wouldn't say that. Actually, I very much doubt anyone but staff and particularly astute members knew everything.

Top Top

DESIRE
  Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:35 pm

It stinks that .net forums were taken down. I still got resources from there occasionally that hadn't been transferred to .org.

Top Top

Karnage
  Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:40 pm

i also got things from there that werent transferred

Fi yuo cna raed tihs...

Top Top

ccoa
  Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:45 pm

...So you should have saved them instead of relying on them to always be there.

Top Top

Andy6000
  Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:45 pm
Sponsor

ccoa's got quite the point there, you were told to back up your stuff for like 6 months almost.

Top Top

Dirtie
  Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:01 am

So is there still a backup of the .net database somewhere? If so it couldn't be too difficult to create an archive of the forums.

Top Top

KaitLynn
  Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:24 am

[QUOTE=Dirtie]So is there still a backup of the .net database somewhere? If so it couldn't be too difficult to create an archive of the forums.[/QUOTE]

I believe Erk was able to get a backup of the .net forums. I"m not sure what the status of that is yet, but just be patient.

If you need, I have some .net script posts that I backed up myself... check my sig for the link. This all I have, which is more than I needed, but I got a bit carried away with pulling everything that I might need off before it crashed.

My Projects

Top Top

RMXPirate
  Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:41 am

all i know is that one of th ppl didnt pay the bills

Top Top

sandgolem
  Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:23 am

edit: Nm, just looked up the whois details.

Thought the domain was grabbed by someone else but looks like it was just moved to a parking page with a ton of ads instead of "account suspended"

Top Top

Tohsaka
  Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:35 pm
Sponsor

For the .net backup, would you not have to buy another board license? If so it's pointless.

sandgolem, i believe the page it is at is the domain registar. BTW rmxp.co.uk is available... [$t3V0!!]

Top Top

KaitLynn
  Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:18 pm

[QUOTE=Twar3Draconis]For the .net backup, would you not have to buy another board license? If so it's pointless.[/QUOTE]

Never pointless. Having a database backup means we still have the data, even if its a pain to get stuff from it as just a backup, at least we still have it. :)

To restore it to a forum, you wouldn't have to buy a board license. Depending on what the .net forum was (I'm thinking it was IPB2), there are lots of open source GPL forum softwares that have programs for converting one forum's data into another.

My Projects

Top Top

Karnage
  Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:08 pm

[QUOTE=ichabod]all i know is that one of th ppl didnt pay the bills[/QUOTE]
Why would they pay the bills to a site they're not using anymore

Fi yuo cna raed tihs...

Top Top

Loverd Cifra
  Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:15 am

There is a complete backup of the RMXP.net Forums database. It is also a very recent backup (downloaded about 12 hours before going down again). I'll be putting it online soon as an archive at lordgradient.com so that everyone who has information stored in the database can retrieve it. Be aware that the database needs to split into a hundred or so segments -- each of which requiring manual insertion into a fresh database -- because of its large size, so it may take some time (less than a week though, unless I get swamped with other things).

In related news, Erk will be taking over the RMXP.net domain. He said he also has a recent backup of the old forums, but it probably isn't as recent as mine. The RMXP.net domain will be used to point to here, not to the old site. Though, if it were decided to point to a new webserver I do still have everything else backed up just in case.

When I get the archives up, I'll be sure to let everyone know right away.

Top Top