Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
    ccoa
  Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:42 pm

Well, I'm back, but a little jetlagged, so don't expect much until tomorrow or so. Alaska was amazing, and the perfect place to be the last few weeks, given what the weather reports have been saying. :P Give me a week or two to organize, crop, enhance, etc. the photos, and I'll post some more.

Also, a note to anyone who sent me a PM about an account, thread, or other help. I have deleted all PMs that are not from friends or staff, because I'm assuming your problem was fixed by someone else in the last 3 weeks. If not, please resend your PM.

@$t3v0 - Yes, I took that picture. ^_^ I'm rather pleased with it myself.

@Sketch - You're welcome to use it, and any others I have of the cruiseship. ;) Also, if you want to know anything about how cruising works, just give me a shout.

@Wings - the Alaskan coast is actually a temporate rain forest, so I don't think it'd suit if you're looking for really cold, or dry. Temperatures in the summer are high 60s to low 80s, winter temperatures are 20-30s. However, interior Alaska might suit you - Fairbanks gets to -60 regularly in the winter, although it is quite warm (80s and 90s) in the summer. Anchorage is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than Fairbanks. The Denali area is about perfect, if you ask me.

@Twar3Draconis - Yeah, I got up at 6am to get on the first tender ashore just to photograph the island without people always in the way. Sadly, that made the early photos dark from the overcast sky (it cleared up later, amazingly).

@Everyone Else - Thank you for the well wishes. I had a wonderful time, no doubt in part to your positive thoughts. ;)

Top Top

Ceroscuro
  Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:51 pm
O.G.
Retired Staff

Welcome back! Glad you enjoyed it. First Erk settling in Japan, now this!

Top Top

Wings
  Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:03 pm

ccoa wrote:
@Wings - the Alaskan coast is actually a temporate rain forest, so I don't think it'd suit if you're looking for really cold, or dry. Temperatures in the summer are high 60s to low 80s, winter temperatures are 20-30s. However, interior Alaska might suit you - Fairbanks gets to -60 regularly in the winter, although it is quite warm (80s and 90s) in the summer. Anchorage is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than Fairbanks. The Denali area is about perfect, if you ask me.

I am actually seriously thinking about moving to Alaska now...thanks ccoa :) However I checked weather.com and looked at the averages for the months, it the hottest it has gotten in Fairbanks so far this year was 79. The humidity really kills it though.

Plus there is a house I'm looking at up there in the N. Fairbanks area. ;)

Top Top

ccoa
  Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:17 pm

Just be aware that there is only 4 hours of daylight midwinter, and 4 hours of darkness midsummer. Summer is wonderful, with long days, midnight activities, and Denali with its hiking and camping, and Kenai with its fishing, rock climbing, and boating. Plus, you can hardly turn around without seeing wildlife everywhere. But winter is a recipe for SAD - bring a happy light. :P

Top Top

Jstreet
  Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:43 pm
Alias: Panda
Sponsor

The CCOA has returned. Got any pictures? Any interesting stories?

Top Top

Raziel
  Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:57 pm

Glad to have you back, ccoa. I hope you had a nice trip and I also hope you have many many pictures. ^_^

Top Top

MUAHAA THE FRENCH
  Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:00 am
I USED TO RUN THIS JOINT

Welcome back! :D Can't wait to hear all about the trip.

also she touches lil boys on their lower halfs which i don tthink s he should do but its out of my jurisdiction
http://gamingw.net/pubaccess/24779/yellowteeth.png[/img]

Top Top

Erk
  Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:45 am

[QUOTE=ccoa]Just be aware that there is only 4 hours of daylight midwinter, and 4 hours of darkness midsummer. Summer is wonderful, with long days, midnight activities, and Denali with its hiking and camping, and Kenai with its fishing, rock climbing, and boating. Plus, you can hardly turn around without seeing wildlife everywhere. But winter is a recipe for SAD - bring a happy light. :P[/QUOTE]
Depending on how far north you go, there may be no daylight/night at all. In Dawson City (yukon) there are two weeks at either end where the sun never sets/rises. It is eery coming outside at 2 am and having no way of knowing it isn't noon.

Welcome back chief!

I'll be seeing you, in all the old familiar places
That this heart and mind embraces
All day through

Engrish of the Moment:
I'll cheer up forever.
--
If I can't eat rice, I'm not going to live.
--
At twenteen forty o'clock I ate provision of meals.
--
The pen used by me is broken by me. I'm sad.
--
Now my favourite

Top Top

JD_Slasha
  Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:13 am
Eternal Optimist
Retired Staff

L1 Slime
::insert generic welcome back comment here::

Glad to see you had a great time. ^_^

Top Top

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2