Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Amy
  Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:22 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Apologies, the Beginner's Lounge was set up several months back but since none of us staff really view the forums as regular members we hadn't noticed a slight oversight in that the permissions were set up wrong and nobody could view the subforums.

This has now been fixed and you can find First Projects and Tutorials there.

This was a response to some criticism a while back which was fair but hard to accomplish, in that we often treat people as "professionals" and are perhaps a bit too truthful in our criticism - First Projects is designed more with learning in mind than perfectionism and is aimed more at those who are making their projects to learn than to "sell".

The idea is that people who are making their projects to learn post in Beginner's Lounge (which might be renamed to take away the newbie emphasis). Here they gain helpful tips and comments by teachers with the knowledge that they are trying to learn.

Projects on the other hand is for games which are designed to be released to "The Audience" and so a full-on criticism level is to be expected, as these are the people who will be playing your games.

Top Top

Loraine
  Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:27 am

This could work but I do not like the name as it tends to suggest only beginners can go there. There are a lot of people my age (my age? hmm, bad choice of wording!) well, my amount of time using the programs in question shall we say, who still want to create projects just to learn.

Top Top

Brewmeister
  Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:49 pm
Paste above Main

lv 99 Balance Wizard

We had a hard time coming up with a better name...

The practice range?
The bullpen?
The warm-up room?
The Green Room?
The Utility Muffin Research Kitchen?

Either way, the intention was not to limit anyone from participating, only to provide a safe environment for learning without the expectation that the product was meant for anyone other than its creator.

Personally, I think the project forums should be viewed this way, and there would be no need for a 'safe zone'. (apparently a vision I bear alone.)

Be Well

Top Top