Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Amy
  Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:35 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Trawling through the project threads it's becoming increasingly clear that these three websites are not suitable for anything more than temporary quick links (and in that case there are better websites for that anyway). We'd strongly advise against using Imageshack, Photobucket, or Tinypic for images in your project threads. Otherwise, don't expect your project thread to be very useful after a year or so (given we have games here stretching back nine years now that's pretty awful).

Personal favourite is Imgur, which is becoming the standard site to use across the web.

Also note that any games uploaded to RPGRevolution have now been lost, along with the various Megaupload/etc sites that have gone down over the years. In short... eh, a lot of history's been lost.

The most stable sites to upload your games to appear to be places such as RPGMaker.net or the more respectable file hosting sites than Megaupload.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:51 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Photobucket removes inactive accounts after 2 years.
Imgur deletes images after 3 months with no views, or so I've read with free accounts anyways. It's meant for short term sharing, not long term storage.

Although, photobucket has turned into something else over the last 10 years that I've used it. It's a little silly to see my screenshots printed on shower curtains.

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:04 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
6 months without a view, but that's more than the others will give you. It's annoying anything has to be deleted anywhere tbh, I'd hope we're approaching a time where nothing needs to be ever.

Top Top

rey meustrus
  Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:55 pm
Master of Dark Magic
Sponsor

Party Mascot
What about getting a free web site on say webs.com and uploading screenshots there? Then you can even also have a project web site! But of course it isn't as simple of an interface as imgur.

Maybe HB Games can be a leader in its own area and offer an image uploading service for the community.

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:08 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
We did have one, but nobody used it. - and then we lost it due to a hack. I worry that it was my own security which caused the hack (it probably wasn't, as it was on shared hosting, which is generally a NO no), and know such things tend to be vulnerable. I dunno. Something to look into nonetheless.

Top Top