Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Amy
  Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:33 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
The title of this thread is as silly and unthought through as the two armies fighting one another in the game at the moment. We have the villagers versus the bandits. Why are they fighting one another? Who are these folk?

The Village

• Historically cut off from the rest of the world
  • Recently fallen under the protection of the Obsidian Knights who are fighting the Bandits
  • Currently enjoys small trade with the Obsidian Knights, via a small newly built port
  • Newly built chapel to the Goddess of War, Obsidia (before this was a godless area)
  • Small and tidy, keeps itself to itself until Knights arrive with trade and news

The Obsidian Knights

• Military order from afar*
  • Seemingly seeks to protect the village from bandit raids
  • Sends trade missions every now and then with small supplies
  • Takes a tithe in return

The Bandits

• Originally from lands afar
  • Managed to find a way onto the island to set up a camp
  • Frequent raids on the village
  • Trying to eventually seek control

The plotline of the early part of the game will feature the Villagers fighting the Bandits. The Obsidian Knights turn up when things get too bad. Quests involve the Obsidian Knights.

The Bandits and Obsidian Knights are after something in the village. This will turn out to be something useful to the player - perhaps a source of magic, leading to a quick tutorial on using magic at the end of it to prepare them for Afar.

* Afar

Afar / lands afar is what the villagers call where the Obsidian Knights come from - which is actually the rest of the world. The early game centres on an island, thus everywhere else in the game is afar.

During live gameplay and world events, the village switches control between the Bandits and the Villagers. If the bandits control the village, the Obsidian Knights arrive via boat to help out. They also arrive every now and then to bring small trade.

When the Obsidian Knights are in the village, quests involving them can be done. Otherwise, quests involve just the villagers and the bandits.

What is the player?

The player is neither a villager, bandit, nor Obsidian Knight. Through quests they can do various actions for each, and they can attack all three at any time they want, affecting the live world events.

So does this mean the player can only leave the island... if they fail?

To invoke the Obsidian Knight quests, they must be present. So, they can only be done if the village is taken over by bandits, or if they arrive by trade, I guess. I haven't thought this part through too much. They will be *around*, just not everywhere. Maybe one will remain in residence.

How many quests will there be?

I'm not sure. There will be small errand runner style quests with storyline tacked on (better thought through than I'm making out), and there will be chain quests for each of the three factions unlocking their storyline and other things about them and the island.

So the early game will have a win condition?

The aim is to get off the island, although the player won't know this I guess? Their efforts go towards eventually leaving the island. The culmination of the Obsidian Knight quests will be them leaving the island, anyway.

Will they be able to return?

Yes, but as in games such as Guild Wars, events done back in the early game will essentially be in the past, you'll just be reliving them, if that makes sense?

Top Top

95enthusiast
  Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:40 am

L1 Slime
It sounds like you're trying to have your game based on choices while still having it strangely linear. If they all lead to the same ending, it might be easier to just have the player join one of the armies, not all three or a combination of either. Don't try and make it too complicated. If we can attack bandits, knights and villagers, does that mean everything in the game is attacking us, or nothing? We're neither an enemy nor an ally to them, so how is it going to work? It would be a boring battle system if things only attacked you when you chose to attack them first.

How does the player know that they need to seek a knight to get out of this tutorial area? Is something guiding them? How do they know to complete quests, or where they are?

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:09 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Good point. Perhaps I need to start with a quest to get things going and then lead the player into the bigger world.

I guess this aspect is linear. I hope the game as a whole will not be. Will certainly be tough to work out how to do it properly.

Top Top

95enthusiast
  Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:53 am

L1 Slime
Glad I got you thinking. Yes, starting off with an introductory quest would be alright, but that itself would be a very linear thing, going against everything you've planned so far, no? I think that intro quest itself should have some form of randomisation so that it's different for everybody, perhaps even based on some of the living world concepts you're using. If you start the game and the bandits are winning, you get their storyline... that sort of thing. Actually, I'd really like to play around with the living world idea myself.

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:23 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Randomisation sounds good.

I haven't had time to work on much this week but this sounds the way to go.

Top Top