Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Amy
  Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:18 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

http://tkool.jp/products/IGMAKER/

Enterbrain have now released Action Game Maker in English.

The cost is $90, and it has been renamed "Indie Game Maker", or "IG Maker". (That'll piss off AGM.whatsit :crazy: )

System Requirements
Quote:
CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4, 2.4GHz or faster (Intel® Core™ 2 Duo or better recommended)
Memory: Minimum 512MB (2GB or more recommended)
Hard disc drive: Minimum free space of 300MB
Video card: Minimum resolution of 1,024 x 768 pixels (*For authoring games in high-definition, a video card with at least 128MB video memory and 1,280 x 720-pixel resolution is recommended.)
Sound card: 16-bit stereo, 44.1 or 48KHz sampling rate, and capable of WAV format playback
DVD-ROM drive: Required for installation

*Operation is not guaranteed for 64-bit operating systems.
*Hardware must be DirectX9.0c-compatible.

ImageImageImage

As before the download is from Download.com and it's a trial.

http://download.cnet.com/IG-Maker/3000- ... ?tag=mncol

$89.99 to buy in full.

Quote:
Create simple games just by toying with premade templates!
To start a new project, the New Game Wizard will guide you through all the initial setup. Using ready-made templates, a game can be quickly assembled by just selecting the genre, name, atmosphere, music, and hero type. Naturally, a game can be constructed completely from scratch. In this case, the project is started by choosing only the genre, screen size, and name.

Completed games can be played on Xbox 360 systems.
Completed games can be output in non-Windows formats.
For example, the output can be in XNA Game Studio format for play on XBox 360 systems. In such a way, created games can be shared with more players. It's also possible to make games in a variety of screen resolutions to suit the output format.
*You must be a member of the XNA Creators Club to enable play of games made using this tool on Xbox 360 systems.

Top Top

Jason
  Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:21 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
So the minimum space required is 300MB, yet the download is 1.31GB, and that's just the trial you say...

How about...

... Fuck that.

I was never really bothered when I first heard about AGM, and as far as I know, it hasn't exactly become hugely popular (Although at the time, it was only the Japanese version with an English translation patch, or something...). And to be honest, I'm still not interested, unless I see someone make something truly amazing.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:23 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
The file size is down to the large amount of .WAV files.

Top Top

Jason
  Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:30 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Meh, either way I won't be downloading it anyways, unless, as I said, someone makes something truly amazing with it, cause then it proves you can make really good games and not just some little shitty thing that's so embarassing you wouldn't show your dad (Arbi, if you try to show me an IGM game, I swear I'll beat you with a rubber spoon... again.)

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:32 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Apparently:

- Updates will be released for the engine on a regular basis
- Plugins are available (wahoy)
- A few bugs were fixed from the Japanese release

If I had a good enough connection I'd download it and re-up without the materials, but I don't. :{

Top Top

Jason
  Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:42 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Lol I'd do it for everyone else (I'd obviously delete it after I've downloaded it since I really don't want it), buuut I'm with Sky so it'd take me a good month or two,

Top Top

Kav
  Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:32 am
Sponsor

Commodore Whynot wrote:
Apparently:

- Updates will be released for the engine on a regular basis
- Plugins are available (wahoy)
- A few bugs were fixed from the Japanese release

If I had a good enough connection I'd download it and re-up without the materials, but I don't. :{

What? Where did you hear this? They never said anything about releasing updates.

Top Top

Amy
  Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Off hand chat on another channel. As I said, "apparently".

What gets me is this line:

Quote:
*Operation is not guaranteed for 64-bit operating systems.

All new computers are 64-bit. New software developers need to realise, that making a program which will therefore soon become obsolete isn't good :crazy: (Yes I know OS not computer, but still, that means anyone with over 4GB ram is screwed. Spend all that money on a better computer and suddenly you can't run what everyone below you can.)

Top Top

Twirly
  Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:42 pm
aka twirly

Apparently they named it IndieGame Maker because there already is an action game maker ;o

Top Top

Kav
  Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:34 pm
Sponsor

Twirly wrote:
Apparently they named it IndieGame Maker because there already is an action game maker ;o

Are you talking about Engine001?

Top Top

Twirly
  Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:12 pm
aka twirly

Kav wrote:
Twirly wrote:

Are you talking about Engine001?

Yeah.

Top Top

Amy
  Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:15 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Engine001 just looks amusing. :) I can't take it seriously.

I tried to download it so I could re-up it without the resources but the download failed due to the size. Gah.

I personally would prefer if there were no resources with it and it was a smaller d/l. More original games, and more thought put into them.

Top Top

regi
  Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:50 pm
raptor king
Sponsor

Despite all the complaints (large file size, .wav files, .etc) it actually looks like there are some unique features they finally put in. Customizable menus, different screen resolutions, and better collision detecting are nice pluses. And there is a workaround if you want .mp3 files, but you can only use them if exporting to .swf (as wav files don't work in Flash).

Top Top

Clizzz
  Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Well, this looks interesting, I like IGM mostly 'cuz of the projectile system. But as it stands I wanna see something made before I make the investment, besides ... I'm still sold on the Stencyl Points Achievement System ... if it ever even comes out.

Top Top

Tachiba
  Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:28 am
cheeky bastard

Wowza. 1 GB of crap? Serously, this is a letdown to me. It'd best be a very expansive RTP or something because I really wouldn't like to pay 90 dollares for something with a VX small RTP. I'll try to dl it and see if it bursts my haterade bubble.

Top Top

Kain Nobel
  Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:10 am
No Rest for the Wicked!

As it stands, I'll download... I'll try it out... I'll fuck around and try to make something with it, but if this thing has an error every time I touch something then I'm gonna recommend everybody to not bother with it :P

I'm hoping this 1GB of shit can even run on my OS, because I'm using a 64 bit...

Highly doubtful I'll do much with it though, I've already spent 3 years working on my XP project and I do plan on finishing that first before I move onto any other cheesy ass 'game makers'.

On the other hand, I'm so sick of RPG's, so if it does happen to be good, maybe I'll use it and stick with it. All other game making software I've tried, either by a company or indy, has sucked, except for some of the 3D stuffs which I don't have the time for.

Top Top

mawk
  Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:12 am

it's terrible

it's absolutely terrible

don't buy, don't whatever. if you want to make platformers or action games, game maker or mmf are better ideas. they take a little more in the way of effort, but the end product shows it.

Quote:
I like IGM mostly 'cuz of the projectile system.

you mean the fact that you can have at most three kinds of projectiles in your game and there's no present way of including any more?

░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▒░▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▓▒░░▒▓▒░░▒▓░░░░░░░
ImageImageImage

Top Top

Gulch666
  Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:47 am

gonna download this hog, only taking 20 minutes 1.1 mb a sec :) even if it sucks, at least i didnt waste much time. ill reserve this spot for some input once i try it out

Top Top

Spoo
  Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:25 am
Certified Bad Pun Aficionado
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I'll trust mawk on this one. Generally I'll download a maker to try it out whether I plan to use it or not, but this sucker is over a gig in size and a trusted ex staffer says it sucks.

Bye AGM...er...IGM...er...W/E

Top Top

Venetia
  Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:14 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

what a let-down. i was pretty hyped on this, actually. and i know more than a few other people were, too. oh well :)

Top Top

mawk
  Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:10 pm

yeah, man. when I first caught word of this I was so hyped. I was like "oh man I am going to make some badass metroidvania" but really this program isn't even capable of doing shit like nes megaman or ninja gaiden.

enterbrain isn't even pretending anymore that they don't intentionally gimp their products to create demand for the next release. smileboom (the programmers) dropped the ball down a well on this one, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of momentum towards fixing what's wrong -- even shit that's so awful it had to be intentional (i.e. only accepting audio in hugeass .wav form)

ImageImageImage

Top Top

Venetia
  Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:24 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

well obviously instead of programming, they were thinking up an awesome name for themselves like smileboom.

Top Top

Yanti
  Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:32 am

Meh, i'm still willing to at least give it a shot, the exporting options are quite cool...

Top Top

Fayte
  Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:48 pm
Sponsor

Party Mascot
So mawk, you didn't quite explain. What exactly is bad about this program? (obviously I haven't downloaded it yet).

Top Top

exs
  Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:17 pm

You guys know that this is only a trial and unlike Enterbrains previous trails they withheld a lot of features right? There's a lot of limitations in the trail.

Note: That's just what I've read. I've yet to try the trial or game myself. Downloading trial now - had the full version before to test before buying but despite having an english translation I couldn't get the crack to work past the installation - that was some few months ago.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:31 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
It's not a trial, it's out in full.

Top Top

MCsephiroth13
  Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:07 am
Strange, but true.

This program is at least worth giving a shot. I mean, is it that bad?

If I were to actually make games with this, I would probably aim toward action-RPGs because 1, I've grown accustomed to making RPGs and 2, I love Zelda games and it would be awesome to make games like it.

The Fourth Stone-Project Discussion Thread!
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=66648

Top Top

Kain Nobel
  Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:57 am
No Rest for the Wicked!

Yeah doing ANYTHING with it is a pain in the ass, and it doesn't even come with a damned help file (if it does, it'd probably take a rocket scientist to figure out how to get to it)

To put it more bluntly, everything I tried to do was a pain in the ass to even figure out. I tried making a 'new game' with it and failed to even lay a tile down (no 'RTP' or WTF?!), then I started messing with the sample games (which aren't bad for... sample games... generic sample games) and editing them; everything I touched made the program just not want to work.

The thing might have potential for people who feel like figuring out everything themselves and get good enough to know what everything does, but my 30 day trial I only spent the first 5 days on it and got absolutely nowhere and said "Fuck this thing" and never touched it again (I need to get around to uninstalling the damn thing!)

Top Top

Zackwell
  Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:37 pm
Am I really the monster here?
Sponsor

Damn. I've gotta try this... I used to try making platform games in flash... But that was a bitch...

Dancing in the moonlight's glow.

Top Top

mawk
  Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:58 pm

don't try it. it's gimped beyond reason.

for two, you can only use giant-ass .wav music and if you're making a shooter, guess what? you're not. you can only have three different varieties of projectile, so no Megaman 2 Densetsu for you.

also there's no scripting system, so you can't modify your own game outside of what the editor lets you do unless you code your own module from scratch or export to Flash and diddle the Actionscript.

all there is is the confusing-ass editor options, which really would have been better presented as variables floating around in raw code. I don't care about all this shit I just want to make my guy jump higher

also text entry is weird. you, like, prepare bits of dialogue in advance on a separate screen and then call the one you need. I don't understand how anyone thought this was good design.

if you want to make a quality actiongame it's probably easier and more effective in the long run to learn Game Maker or MMF2. the programming to make a platformer or something is quite simple. some things may take more effort, but it pays off in the end.

ImageImageImage

Top Top