Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

InfernalBlissJ
  Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:17 am

Sewer Rat

So I'm having an odd problem creating a npc. I know it's easy, but for some reason the npc's text keeps repeating when I interact with it. It's trigger is set to action button, movement is random, options are move animation. frequency is slow, speed is slowest. I don't understand why it repeats since it isn't parallel process or autorun. I approach npc, press enter, and it just continuously repeats the text command. I don't get it. There's nothing else on the map that should effect it. I have 4 other events: 3 transfer player events set to player touch, and a fire animation in the fire place.So what's wrong here? I'm using the AMS by dubealex if that matters at all. I have the npc name and a face graphic set in the text command. That works fine, except the repeating text. Please help !

Last edited by InfernalBlissJ on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:27 am
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

I had a problem like this when my Message Window was updating before my Map - The C Button would close the window, but it would re-trigger the action button again later in the frame update.

Did you add a script before it stopped working correctly?

Top Top

InfernalBlissJ
  Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:47 am

Sewer Rat

No, i wouldn't know what script would be effecting it since i had all my scripts in place before making the npc. Thats why i brought up the ams, because out of everything, that seems the most logical since it revolves around messaging. Let me try removing the ams and running the game to see if it still happens. If it does, i have not a clue.

Top Top

InfernalBlissJ
  Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:53 am

Sewer Rat

Nope, it's not the AMS script, it's still doing it. I have the SDK script and MACL 2.0. Would that have anything to do with it ? They are required for some other scripts I have.

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:05 am
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

Oh, if it was anything, it'd be the SDK.
Could you upload a copy of it, whether it's in code tags or pastebin? I'll have a look.

Top Top

InfernalBlissJ
  Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:22 am

Sewer Rat

Cool, thankyou so much. I'll upload it in a bit. A half hr or so. Just left my house but will upload when i get back.

Top Top

InfernalBlissJ
  Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:37 am

Sewer Rat

Here is the SDK Script, I had copied and pasted it from a demo.

Content Hidden

Top Top

InfernalBlissJ
  Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:38 am

Sewer Rat

Hopefully you're right and it's in that somewhere :thumb:

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:14 pm
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

It's a bit of a hack solution, but you should be able to use this. Place this script below the SDK:
Expand to see the code.

Let me know if that causes trouble, and I'll find a better way to do it :thumb:

Top Top

InfernalBlissJ
  Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Sewer Rat

Awesome, hope this works. And just for learnings sake. If you don't mind me asking, why did the SDK interfere with something so simple like that. In the demo, it worked fine, so that's strange. I'm curious as to why that is.

Top Top

InfernalBlissJ
  Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Sewer Rat

Yes, it works now ! You must explain to me your magic good sir :biggrin:

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:30 am
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

Well, all I changed was the order in which objects on the map are updated. The issue was that the Window_Message was being updated before the event input, so when you pressed C to close the window, during the frame update, it re-activated the event. As I said before, it was a bit of a hack fix and not a recommended method of doing it, because it could cause problems. Because the SDK controls all processing in all scenes (because it's pretty much a complete re-write) I edited that because it should have the power to correct the issue.

I'm not sure why it worked in the demo and not in this project (I don't know for sure because I haven't looked at the AMS) but I chose to swap the methods in the SDK because it was a lot less fiddly to get faster results.

Good luck with whatever project you're working on! It'd be great so see it in the Completed Games forum some time :biggrin:

Top Top

InfernalBlissJ
  Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:45 am

Sewer Rat

Ahhhh, I see. If it were up to me, I wouldn't use the SDK, but it's required for a couple scripts I have. Kind of a catch22, because there's other scripts I'd like to use that aren't compatible with it. You seem pretty well versed with rgss. Any chance I could get your assistance with another problem? though it's a bit more complicated. It's trying to get moghunters Animated CMS to work with my project. I could PM you a link to a demo of the game. :smile:

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:51 am
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

Sure, feel free.
I'll be a little busy this week, but I'll give making the CMS compatible a shot :grin:

EDIT: Oh, I didn't realise there was another topic for the issue already. I thought you needed the CMS to be SDK compatible from the previous conversation, my bad.

Top Top

InfernalBlissJ
  Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:13 pm

Sewer Rat

I got it fixed, apparently it's because there's was an extra space in the database after my actor's name that was throwing the whole script off. Hilarious...

Top Top