Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Glitchfinder
  Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:04 am
BEWARE: Glitchfinder's sense of humor sucks.
Staff

Party Mascot

NB: I copied this thread from tutorials, the origional is still there; it's the most commonly linked to tutorial :3 ~wyatt

NOTICE: RPG Maker XP Has been updated to use new validation services, and the Protexis servers that older versions connect to when you first open them are no longer online. If you are installing RPG Maker XP from an older installer, you will always encounter this error. Instead, you need to download the newest version, located here, and contact Enterbrain with your proof of purchase to obtain a new validation key.

How to use RMXP with Vista (a.k.a. How to fix any nTitles error)
By Glitchfinder

Let's face it, way too many people ask this question. They ask why they are getting the error "Failed to obtain a trial serial number from the nTitles server." Well, let me say something. Vista's screwey. Just understand that, and you can get over many issues. Anyway, you have this error, and you don't know how to fix it. In this tutorial, I will explain several methods I have found to solve this issue, in order from easiest to most difficult. Also, for simplicity's sake, I'll post them in spoilers. Finally, let me also mention that the third tutorial will allow people to install RPG Maker XP on a computer without an internet connection.

Step 1 - Administator Priveledges
Tutorial 1, first step in the ladder

If the above tutorial does not solve it for you, then use the following tutorial:

Step 2 - Administator Priveledges Level 2
Tutorial 2, the second step in the ladder

If neither of the above tutorials works for you, or if you are trying to install RMXP or RMVX on a computer without internet, simply follow the steps in this tutorial.

Step 3 - Rewritten Registry
Tutorial 3, the final stop

Just call me Glitch.

Last edited by Glitchfinder on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top Top

Zethus
  Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:35 pm

Kevin5475845 wrote:
whenever i try to start this so does a window popup directly and says: RPG Maker XP has stopped working

and i'm on a administrator account because i own this computer...

Never mind it just started to work...

My exile/ban History

My Internet Speed

My Tarrot Card

My Personality

Last edited by Zethus on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:35 am
Staff

Party Mascot

Well, I finally added in the third, and final, tutorial. I hope you guys like it,as it should solve essentially any nTitles error that you can get.

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

zech04
  Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:31 pm

nothing didnt surprise me though i have the worst luck in the world gahh nothing ever works for me even when its suppose to -.-

Click here to feed me a fruit!

Get your own at PokePlushies!

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

Get your own at PokePlushies!

http://i5.tinypic.com/6si80gx.png[/img]

[color=#000080]Seth's [url=http://pokejungle.net/?id=other

Top Top

lallo188
  Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 am

if i get a new computer this will help me thanks

Top Top

CarsonX
  Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:43 pm

I tried the third and it worked.

Last edited by CarsonX on Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

harbino
  Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:50 pm

For step three you should've reminded people to back up their registry...

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:01 pm
Staff

Party Mascot

harbino wrote:
For step three you should've reminded people to back up their registry...

I would've, except for the fact that the people I'd need to remind would have to be told, in detail, exactly how to do it.

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

Rey_JJJ
  Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:16 pm
dead...well not really, but consider it dead

Now that you made this, I can't be a hero anymore... :sad: (yes of course I'm just kidding)

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:28 am
Staff

Party Mascot

Wow. Thank you for stickying this. It might actually help to cut down on the recent rash of threads that need an immediate redirect to this tutorial. Unfortunately, there are some issues that have appeared more recently that have yet to be solved. These issues, which have been highlighted in several threads, appear to only affect a very small number of Vista users, and many seem to doubt their credulity. Still, my VIsta is one affected by this, and I have no idea what the problem is. Though, a possible solution might soon come into the light. I'll be testing a worst case scenario solution (Reinstallation of OS) on that computer for other reasons, most notably that it will no longer update. If that works, I'm updating this to include that problem and the only know solution.

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

Merk
  Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:31 pm

I got to the registry step and it still won't work. Does anyone know how to contact enterbrain support? I paid for it about a year ago.

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:32 pm
Staff

Party Mascot

Merk wrote:
I got to the registry step and it still won't work. Does anyone know how to contact enterbrain support? I paid for it about a year ago.

What won't work? All the registry step will do is correct the nTitles error by giving you an expired trial copy. As to contacts, you'll actually want to talk to Protexis Inc, the company that handles purchases and licenses for Enterbrain.

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

Merk
  Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:48 am

Glitchfinder wrote:
Merk wrote:

What won't work?

Even after applying the registry (and all the lower-level fixes) I still get the message "Failure to obtain trial serial number from ntitles server".

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:35 am
Staff

Party Mascot

Merk wrote:
Glitchfinder wrote:
Merk wrote:

What won't work?

Even after applying the registry (and all the lower-level fixes) I still get the message "Failure to obtain trial serial number from ntitles server".

Is this for XP or VX, and did you apply the correct registry patch?

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

Merk
  Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:32 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention that it was for RMXP. I did apply the correct registry fix (for XP) and did it twice just to make sure.

Top Top

Gray
  Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:37 pm

I followed tutorials one and two. Now, instead of the RGSS player simply not responding, I need an admins password to get onto it, and when I do start it up, I get a blue screen. I repaired the repair though, so it's sorted. But the RGSS player still doesn't work. :|

Top Top

Yin
  Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:52 am

I have another error to report, that I don't know how to fix. It's an audio problem. It crashes when sounds are played and I have lots of music. Sound effects play well, I think it has to do with the fact that it's a wav file. I don't know what to do, I don't want to have a completely silent game. It only does this in playtest and sound test, so something screwey is going on because when I play from game.exe it works fine... Perfect in fact. Anyone have any suggestions? I just bought this laptop, and now, I'm really regretting it.

Top Top

Daxis
  Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:41 am
The arrow lives frugally.

Hey, do you think that RMXP/VX would get any problems working on windows 7?

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:57 am
Staff

Party Mascot

Daxisheart wrote:
Hey, do you think that RMXP/VX would get any problems working on windows 7?

As I do not have a computer running Windows 7, I am not a good judge of the answer. However, if the updates to Vista have fixed the nTitles error, my guess is that they would work on 7 as well. Still, the only way to find out is to try and see.

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

seven
  Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:03 am

I have Windows 7 and have encountered no issues; you should be fine.

Top Top

Nachos
  Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Can whe have this stickied please?

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:09 pm
Staff

Party Mascot

Nachos wrote:
Can whe have this stickied please?

It is stickied. It just isn't up in the board header, in the hopes that more people will notice it.

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

Drago del Fato
  Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:04 am
Dark Slayer

L1 Slime

Umm why don't you just REMOVE UAC in both Windows 7 and Vista? That thing brought more bad than good and it's the root of the problem for MOST of programs running in them.

Removing UAC(User Account Control) in Windows Vista/7

It just denies some actions like execution, protecting your C: root and/or Windows folder from any unauthorized program writing anything to it... but if you have a normal antivirus you don't need this thing, it just made windows worse by my opinion. Or you can just turn it off while installing RMXP/VX for the first time. :)

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:51 am
Staff

Party Mascot

Dude. That's not the issue here. The issue was the fact that early versions of Windows Vista were literally incompatible with RMXP. When I made this tutorial, one of the first things I tried was disabling UAC. That did nothing to fix the error. On the other hand, for most people facing the problem now, all that should be needed is to run RMXP as an administrator.

And really. Unless you've tried your fix on a computer that was encountering the problem, and made sure that it fixed the problem and didn't harm the computer, you should never tell other people that it's a viable fix. Especially since disabling UAC does not fix "the problem for MOST of programs running in" Vista and Win7. In fact, disabling UAC is still not recommended by many IT professionals because it actually does catch a few things that an antivirus can miss. Modifying the settings of UAC is recommended only for the computer savvy, those who know their way around Windows, and who can solve most issues themselves. This tutorial is not aimed at such people, since they would have figured it out for themselves before they found this tutorial. Not to mention that fact that, in Vista, UAC is either on or off, instead of having a range of settings like it has in Win7.

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top

Drago del Fato
  Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:21 pm
Dark Slayer

L1 Slime

I'm not saying it fixes the problem but I'm saying that it brought more bad than good. Windows "invented" UAC from looking at Linux protections, and to tell you the truth Linux is still better at using it even with Windows 7. Just because IT professionals say you shouldn't remove it, doesn't mean you need to live with that torture every time you run some third-party program. It does catch some things that Antivirus misses but then let me ask you: "How many times that happened?". In fact 90% viruses come from torrents and "those" sites, so biggest thing that catches viruses is not security flaws but social engineering (which is a security hole which no one can fix).

As for the earlier versions of Vista, well I had one of the early version (still was RTM when I first bought the laptop) and RMXP worked fine with running it as administrator, guess it was newer than those which some users here have problems with.

Sure I'm glad that you found how to fix it and I give you that, great fix and all not saying anything against it (neither making fun of you).

Hope I'm not getting into offtopic here if I am I wont post more.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:02 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
That may be the case, but in this scenario UAC wouldn't affect anything since that is not the problem :thumb:

Top Top

kyonides
  Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Glitch wrote:
Modifying the settings of UAC is recommended only for the computer savvy, those who know their way around Windows, and who can solve most issues themselves.

Even so it's still a bad decision, even more (Java)scripts may run on your PC without noticing it because it doesn't even need to ask for permissions. Of course in Linux a common use program wouldn't force you to enter your password or would immediately block it for no good reason. The problem with UAC is that MS still don't get the idea of how it should work or they can't or don't want to make it too similar to Linux super user / policykit system.

I agree with Glitch, it seems to be necessary to contact Protexis Inc. or even Enterbrain to supply a patch for Vista or 7 or else you'll keep getting those silly error messages once and again.

Top Top

Sgt. Cookie
  Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:30 pm
I'm back. And this time, I mean it!
Sponsor

You can just run it as administrator. That works.

I now play D&D 3.5. It's fun!

Top Top