Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

9robin3
  Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:37 pm
Robin Andblom

Party Mascot
Hello! I am working in RMXP on a boss battle. I want a specific thing to happen when any party member uses a special skill on it. For example, this or that will happen if you use water magic or other skills on it.

How do I do this? I cannot find a condition for "if [skill] used > do this" anywhere in RMXP.
I want to use this great thing to vary my boss battles as much as possible.

Thanks in advice!

MY YOUTUBE

__________________________________________________________________________________________
GAMES IN PROGRESS:

Top Top

Stardust
  Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:50 am
<3 Army of Love <3
Retired Staff

Sewer Rat

You can do it, but it's a little roundabout in execution! You're going to need two common events to make each skill work (I'll get to the second one later).

Name: Skill A
Trigger: None
Expand to see the code.

You could add a conditional branch so it doesn't keep trying to turn the switch on if it's already on, but that's not necessary. :P

Now, go to the skill you want to attach this to and find the "Common Event" dropdown. Select that common event (in this example, it would be "001: Skill A").

Go to the troops tab and go down to the "Battle Event" section on the bottom half of the boss battle troop.

Condition: Switch [0001: Skill A Used] is ON
Span: Moment
Expand to see the code.

Now, when you use this skill, you'll display the text (you can really do whatever you want; I just used text as an example) and then turn the switch off. You must turn the switch off. I excluded that the first time and it looped indefinitely. xD

This will not work if all the enemies are defeated! That's just how the scripting processes battles - once the enemy is defeated, it stops everything else to start the victory sequence. You might be able to find or request a script edit to change it. I would be able to figure it out eventually, but it would take me forever and I don't have much free time until the weekend! And I'm not skilled enough to guarantee it wouldn't conflict with other scripts you may have. :x

Anyways, you need one more thing! Another common event.

Name: Turn off Skill A
Trigger: Parallel
Condition Switch: 0001: Skill A Used
Expand to see the code.

If you don't do that, using it on a normal battle would turn the switch on and it would stay on until you met that boss. And parallel common events only execute on the map, so you don't have to worry about it turning off the switch during battle.

I tested it and it seems to work! Let me know if you have any problems! :)

Top Top

9robin3
  Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 am
Robin Andblom

Party Mascot
Thank you very muched it worked:D

But can you do the same thing by attack, guard etc?

MY YOUTUBE

__________________________________________________________________________________________
GAMES IN PROGRESS:

Top Top

Stardust
  Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:28 am
<3 Army of Love <3
Retired Staff

Sewer Rat

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to figure out a way to do this with events. In the case of attacks, I tried attaching states to weapons, which could then trigger a conditional branch, but in the troop event pages, having it in "Moment" froze the turn, so nothing happened after selecting Attack, and "Turn" made it happen the following turn, which isn't very helpful! I can't think of a way at all to make guard work. :( For those, you're going to need some script changes unless someone else can figure out a way to do it.

Top Top

9robin3
  Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:12 pm
Robin Andblom

Party Mascot
Stardust wrote:
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to figure out a way to do this with events. In the case of attacks, I tried attaching states to weapons, which could then trigger a conditional branch, but in the troop event pages, having it in "Moment" froze the turn, so nothing happened after selecting Attack, and "Turn" made it happen the following turn, which isn't very helpful! I can't think of a way at all to make guard work. :( For those, you're going to need some script changes unless someone else can figure out a way to do it.

Ok thank you anyway!

MY YOUTUBE

GAMES IN PROGRESS:

Top Top