Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

udivision
  Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Can text only be used in that default font in that default box? If so, are pictures the way to go?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:39 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I think this is what you are looking for

http://www.scirra.com/tutorials/236/usi ... ect/page-1

Edit: Ok, haven't really looked at the text box objects. But it seems you can just select the font in the properties too.
edit2: But if its a font someone doesn't have that font installed on their computer then it'll show up as default Arial to them. Hence you would use webfonts.

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:29 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
That's good to know, Coyote. A major problem with RPG Maker is people using custom fonts. Lost track of the number of games I've tried to play but given up because I don't have a clue what font they've used that isn't showing.

Top Top

Ugotsta
  Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:48 am

Hiya everyone, just thought I'd add a couple thoughts on this as well.

Construct 2 has 2 types of text objects, the Text object (http://www.scirra.com/manual/116/text) and the Textbox object (http://www.scirra.com/manual/117/textbox), the former being more commonly used.

The Text object allows you to change the font both from within the properties section and also during runtime, where you can change the font used by the object dynamically.

There's also the "Set web font" action for the Text object, where you can specify a url from which to load a web-based font, such as Google fonts.

This is awesome because Google fonts are awesome. Many people already have them installed on their computers as well, since they are free. Plus, Google's servers being as fast as they are, if people don't have them already, it's a very quick process for them to get the fonts installed.

Others may disagree, but I think it helps to use Google fonts as a standard for the above reasons.

As for the Textbox object, from what I recall, it can be styled via CSS in the HTML page used to view the game. Perhaps others can correct me on this one, but there definitely isn't a font property for it.

Hope that helps.
-DavidM

Support these contest entries! [Submit yours to add!]

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:06 am

Ugotsta made a good point, it's worth.

Top Top