Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Wink
  Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:04 pm

ImageImageImage

Introduction

The creation of Dungeon.Sec (Dungeon Security) was inspired by a few things. First Iv always been a bit of a human rights Hacktivist (cough) I mean Activist :) Second I really, really love the the movie V for Vendetta if you have never seen it you really should it tells such a powerful story. And third I really wanted to make some kind of a tribute to Anonymous for all the good that they have done in this world, and continue to do. With 100 events I just hope it's a start.

You will play as an Anonymous member of an elite security team known as Dungeon.Sec. Your objective will be to hack your way through the evil, and corrupt governments underground dungeon security system in the shortest time possible all while trying to stay alive.

This game is a dungeon, puzzle, platformer containing 8 levels of of non stop edge of your seat intense fun! Each level is timed, if you die the timer for that level will reset but that time you played until death will be added on to your total game time so don't die :D

Game Controls

Use your arrow keys to move around, press Z to jump, and P to pause.

Screen Shots

Conclusion

For me entering this contest was all just for fun :) And a lot of fun I have had :D I also learned a lot, this was my first platformer. I wouldn't have ever thought it possible to make an 8 level game in less than 3 weeks using only 99 events before I entered this contest. I also got to meet some very nice people here in the proses I just wish I would have had more time to chat. But now that I am finished I guess there is plenty of time for that :D Anyway, I want to wish everyone entered the best of luck! I can't wait to play all your games :D :D :D

So without further ado I am proud to present my official contest entry.

Dungeon.Sec

Read all about the beginning of this project here!

Content Hidden

I give permission for this game to be uploaded to an arcade at HBGames.org

Last edited by Wink on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:44 am, edited 5 times in total.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:20 am
The Third Man

Of all the games I saw here so far, yours is the only one that immediately made me think "this looks like fun!" Not because it's a better concept than the rest, but because it's immediately explaining what there is to do. Makes me wanna jump those platforms right away :)
Additional praise goes to the V / Anonymous fella... very nicely rendered and very recognizeable - not bad for that sprite size!

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

anthonykojima
  Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:20 am

Hi Wink,
Just one word: WOW. And playing as an Anonymous in order to hack governments underground dungeon security system. Just brillant!
I looking forward to play this. I hope the 100 events limitation won't be a problem. Keep up! :thumb:

Top Top

Wink
  Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Thank you for your kind comments guys :)

Today I started working on my lava level. There is still a lot to do though.

Top Top

Wink
  Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:04 am

Well today was just an all around disappointing day :(

I spent the whole day building a timer for my game so that there could be timed levels. Well the timer works good but it took 17 events to build, and my game has taken up 65 events so far. That is 82 events used up, and I would still need more events than I have left to make the timer work with each level correctly not to mention I still need to build start, credits pages.

So after thinking about it now for a while. I think my game is pretty fun to play the way it is without a timer so I'm going to keep it simple, and get rid of the timer. This will give me the room I need to add more fun levels to play.

If we are aloud to build onto, and sell our games after the contest this will be my light or free version. Then I could always add the timer to the paid version with the option to play it like it is now with non timed levels.

Anyway this was the progression, and regression of my game development today.

Top Top

Scandalon
  Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Wink wrote:
Well today was just an all around disappointing day :(

I spent the whole day building a timer for my game so that there could be timed levels. Well the timer works good but it took 17 events to build, and my game has taken up 65 events so far. That is 82 events used up, and I would still need more events than I have left to make the timer work with each level correctly not to mention I still need to build start, credits pages.

I'm betting there's ways to re-"write" things to use less events. Did you know you can re-use event-sheets with different layouts? (Just in case you're duplicating things between levels.)

Oh, and I like the concept. Instantly recognizable, but different. (Now if you can just add in the subtleties of all the issues surrounding Anon., like if you bumped into someone that blamed you for something horrible, and another anon. that was just being mean to people for the lulz and... :)

Top Top

CrayFlail
  Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:22 am

Wink wrote:
I spent the whole day building a timer for my game so that there could be timed levels. Well the timer works good but it took 17 events to build

I am in awe that you got a timer to work via 17 events. If it's just a "standard" countdown timer, there is a system variable called "wallclocktime" that you might be interested in...

Link to manual: http://www.scirra.com/manual/126/system-expressions (In the "Time" section...it's basically a counter of how many seconds the game has been running.)

If it helps, awesome, if it doesn't - it was well intentioned. :)

CF

Top Top

Wink
  Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:49 am

@Scandalon Yes I'm hoping that I can find some more ways to re-write things to use less events. Iv already found a few buy grouping. And yes I have been re-using my event sheets I have all of my re-usable events on one event sheet that Iv been including in all my levels then just adding what I need to each level. I guess the game I wanted to build is just to big. I will go through it again though, and see what I can get rid of without loosing the fun factor.

Thank you for the compliment :) And the idea of adding in the subtleties of all the issues surrounding Anon. I was thinking of somehow trying to incorporate some of these subliminally into the background graphics since I have used up so many events already.

@CrayFlail Thank you :) The 17 events made a count up timer like a stop watch. I wanted to use this as a scoring system for my game. It would have timed how long it took you to get through each level, and posted your results on another page above an open door representing a completed level. Also it would have added up your total game completion playing time, and posted it onto a top high score page. But this is something that would take up way to many events.

The time expression was part of my timer. But thank you for your help, and link it is much appreciated :) Usually nobody ever tries to help me. Thanks again :D

As far as my progress is going. Yesterday I finished level 5, and today I started to work on my start page. Here is a screen shot of what I got so far:

Now I just have to finish it, and create my credits, and game info pages. Then try to figure out some kind of simple scoring system since the timer idea is not an option anymore.

Top Top

Tuna
  Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:21 am
Probably cooler than you.
Awesome Bro

I really love your title screen, and the level design looks really neat! What are you doing to make your project stand out from every other platformer?

Top Top

So fist
  Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:38 am
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

Hey wink, this looks like a really fun puzzle platformer. Awesome job. Can't wait to see it in action.

For scoring perhaps you could just make something that reduces a variable that already equals 1,000 by 1 every second of the level and then you just total up all the levels.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 pm
The Third Man

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... why use 17 events for whatever timer when you can just increment a variable and use that. From the looks of it, your levels are more a matter of seconds than minutes (which is good), so there's no reason to convert that variable in a HH:MM:ss format either, but can just be used as they are.
If you're really trying to make a highscore based game, you might increment it every 1/100th second, and use float(TimeVariable/100) as the output to get split seconds for maximum accuracy :thumb: (I always liked split-second based challenges way more than second-based ones...)
Chances are you have an every-tick event right now anyway, so it won't even cost you a single event but the global variable ;)

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

Wink
  Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:29 am

@Tuna Thank you for your kind comments :) I really wasn't aware that my project was standing out from every other platformer. I hope that it is in a good way. lol :D

@So fist Thank you :) And that is a really good idea for a game like this. I will play around with it, and see what I can come up with. That shouldn't take much more than a few events :D

@BlueScope I really don't know what I was thinking with the 17 events timer. It was HH:MM:SS:MM. lol And thank you for that great idea :D I will play around with that one also, and see which works best with this game.

Well today I took Scandalon's advice, and whet back through every part of my game to see if I could re-write things to use less events. And I managed to gain back 14 more events! :D :D :D It was a lot of work but I managed to keep the same game mechanics without sacrificing anything :D So thank you Scandalon!

Now thanks to So fist, and BlueScope's suggestions I should be able to add some kind of light scoring system, and hopefully have enough room left for an extra level or two :D

Thank you to everyone who has helped me :)

Top Top

Wink
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:19 am

Wow! That was a lot of work :D lol

I just finished my game :D Also I just finished beautifying my game's thread I even added a pixel Scarlet Carson at the bottom :)

And I added HYPE!

I hope you all enjoy playing my game as much as I have enjoyed making it :)

It is best played with Google Chrome for maximum performance.

Well now I'm off to the "SUBMIT ENTRIES HERE" thread.

Good luck to everyone that entered!

Top Top

Tuna
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:48 am
Awesome Bro

Very neat! I ended up with a final score of 728. The fireworks were very much appreciated. :|:

Some constructive criticism: Boy, this game sure is difficult! I haven't been this frustrated with a platformer since Dizzy the Adventurer on the NES!
See: Dizzy the Adventurer

I could see the difficulty of it limiting your audience, so I would keep that in mind. I was very impressed with the graphics and audio, (I'm assuming the graphics were custom made.) Great job with that! Animations were very fluid, though I didn't find the character's movement a bit unresponsive at times, which didn't help with the game's difficulty. Despite all of my pains, however, the ending animation was rather satisfying, so I supposed that made it all worth it.

Overall, very nice job!

Top Top

Wink
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:18 am

Thank you very much for the kind complements Tuna :)

I guess when you are making the game you can mess up a little on the difficulty level if you are the only one testing it. But thank you for CC. I will have to find some game testers next time :)

And yes all the graphics, and animation were custom made by me. I made them as I needed them.

Thanks again for the feed back I think you were the first person to play my game :D

Top Top

CrayFlail
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:55 am

Don't have time to finish it, but I'll be coming back to it soon. Got the key in level two, so not very far, but love it. Waaaaahhhhh waaaahhhh waaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hilarious.

CF

Top Top

valkyriegames
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:31 pm
Awesome Bro

Awesome graphics and I like the concept, but is it just me or is level 1 too hard? >_< It took me 7 tries to finish level 1 and 2 to finish level 2!

Content Hidden

Content Hidden

Top Top

Wink
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:28 pm

@CrayFlail Thank you :)

@valkyriegames Thank you :) Earlier in the games development level 1 was easier to play but I thought it was two easy. It just didn't seem to flow with the rest of the game. Maybe after the judging is completed, and the contest is over I could switch level 1, and level 2 around. Thank you for the feedback though this is something I didn't notice during the games development.

Top Top

Kaludan
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:04 am
Ven's Grandpa

I like this game. Great sound when you die.

Top Top

Venetia
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 am
venerable inertia
Staff

Aaaaugh this is so hard!!!! The first level, anyway. The platforms all feel a little ... slippery.
Not necessarily a bad thing though. I always suck at these sorts of games, naturally :x (despite liking them)

Top Top

Wink
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:50 am

@Kaludan Thank you :)

@Venetia Sorry about the level of difficulty. While I was making the game I honestly didn't think I was making it to hard to play. I guess Tuna might be right this might limit my playing audience. Maybe I should make a YouTube video walk through or something. I think the best way to play this game is with short controlled movements, always thinking one step ahead of your next move. I really hope people can make it to the ending. I tried to give it a ending that gives you a rewarding feeling of satisfaction.

Top Top

Nikou
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Great game! I love the tiny graphics and cute sound. Gameplay is fun too; a bit difficult but far from "Super Meat Boy" :)

Good work!

Top Top

Venetia
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:47 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

Yeah don't feel too bad about the difficulty. I can figure out the level fine, I just can't seem to keep myself out of the spike traps >.<

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:09 am

Nice game! sometimes it makes nervous to not try to fall or get stabbed, but i enjoyed it.

I don't see anything what it needs to be improved, it's well done and i don't have to say lol. Maybe you can add special features like rope, hack databases, secret agents as enemies, etc.

Top Top

Wink
  Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:04 pm

@Nikou Thank You :)

@Venetia Thank's I was a little worried, and yes I did put quite a few traps in the game kind of like all the mouse traps that corrupt government's put in there databases when you try to backdoor them :D lol

@joannesalfa Thank you :) Yes special features is on my to do list I had made some little computers and a hacking animation for the little Anonymous guy that I wanted to implement into this game but the event limit would have meant fewer levels. So maybe in future releases. Ropes, and secret agents as enemies are great ideas I just might have to do that to. Thanks again :)

Top Top

JohnnySix
  Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:58 am

Look forward to seeing more when you update - having talked about C64 games in another thread and your mention of hacking terminals reminded me of an old game call "Impossible Mission" - the character in that had to navigate a series of levels in a huge underground base and hack into terminals, was almost as challenging as Dungeon.Sec

There were patrolling robots that zapped you and lift shafts that didn't always have lifts in them, which you'd fall down with a blood curdling digitized scream.

Are you planning to add some huge sopa propaganda posters in the style of Alan Moore? "Strength through Security, Security through SOPA" or something. :)

On a usability front - I would suggest possibly changing to spacebar for jump, and taking out the scrolling on the container page, or maybe show a small icon/graphic in the corner of the loading screen with pictures of the buttons used perhaps. When playing through the games in the competition back-to-back, I found myself often assuming 'default' controls Up/Space to jump etc - so if you're going to use Z or something - maybe just something quick to let them know.

Quick paintover -

Top Top

seven
  Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:02 am

JohnnySix wrote:
Quick paintover -

you can do even better by swapping the buttons out for doors and making the title screen into an intro room (require the player to jump to reach the doors); the player gets the chance to get used to the controls, which would help to compensate for the difficult first level.

this is impressive, wink. I'm not averse to difficult platform games, but if you take that route it's important that the player doesn't feel cheated by death. when the player is killed by the very tip of a spear (or by the end that isn't pointed) or misses a jump by a few pixels, the game goes from being challenging to unfair. Construct 2 gives you tools to fine-tune hit-boxes (see Set collision polygon). if you're already using this, consider making it more merciful. this shouldn't require any events.

a lot of the difficulty for me came from difficult-to-control jumping; I would jump, lightly tap an arrow key, and still overshoot a moving platform. :x or I would tap the Z key and jump just as high as I would holding the key down. because jumping is the player's principle form of interaction with the game, making its physics intuitive is a very high priority.

I died many times. >_< this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it means that there shouldn't be much of a delay between death and a room restarting. canonical example is i wanna be the guy: there is a death animation, but the player is immediately given the ability to restart a room by pressing the 'R' key. the wah-wah-waaaaah is amusing the first time, but you shouldn't give the player more than a second of down-time before letting him try a room again.

level design:

this is a quick diagram of the last level. something stands out: the player runs laps back and forth through the two spear-corridors. in total, the player crosses through those rooms five times. I would consider this fake difficulty. jumping through a hoop once is interesting, but being told to do it five times consecutively adds playtime without making the challenge more meaningful. I understand you want to make the final level stand above the rest, but you should approach it as a culmination of mechanics instead of an exercise in frustration.

I can tell you put a lot of work into this! if you're interested in expanding on the concept before winning a license, or if you want to have more control over the engine, definitely read up on native expressions. they are a lifesaver, particularly the ? operator, which lets you evaluate conditions within in action, often allowing you to consolidate multiple events into one Every tick or Every X seconds. familiarity with their use means you can do a lot with very little, which is generally a good skill to have regardless of an event limit. I notice you were having trouble putting together a timer, but most of the functionality is already implemented for you. I put together a quick example of a one-event timer. it isn't perfect, because construct's idea of what a second is isn't perfect either. that said, there are ways to make the timer more consistent without requiring more events, using native expressions: I leave this as an exercise to the reader.

I would offer more specific advice on events, but I can't see your code! consider going open-source in the future so that we can offer more specific advice.

I hope this helped, and I hope you continue to develop your game. c:

Top Top

onzephyr
  Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:44 am
Awesome Bro

Ok. I suck a whole lot less at your game once I fire up JoyToKey and use a controller.
Content Hidden

Good game sir. Like the level design, like the story concept very much. Feedback wise, Like others have said if possible shorten the time between death and next play. Beyond that, maybe experiment with color, cause you got shades of gray down pat.
cheers

Last edited by onzephyr on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

farsmile90
  Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:31 am

^^, i just want to say, your game is so good. love the pixel graphic style, comfortable control and most of all, it's challenger :)) well done mate. Hope you will win the contest . Cheers.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Top Top

Tuna
  Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:22 pm
Awesome Bro

@onzephyr You should really remove that screenshot. Reaching those fireworks is the whole satisfaction of the game, and posting an image of them kind of ruins them. :sad:

Top Top