Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

joannesalfa
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:07 pm

High Speed Zero

(Finished!)

Hi Everyone, this is a game for contest for HB Games with Scirra Construct 2.

I started this game in March 25th while im learning how to use Construct 2, i know i was very late to finish this game but i'm sure i can finish it for 48 hours before March 31th.

High Speed Zero is a car racing game what you can beat a simple CPU, that's all but there a something what i could to tell you, this is a startup game introduces the future features are: Multiplayer, World Maps, Scoreboard, Customization Cars like: Purchase parts to Tune Up, Paint, Logos, Select design cars, etc. for your web storage. It would be my dream.

The Plot:
You're an ex-mechanic guy who was fired from company which offers auto boutique services gone bankrupt, you are currently seeking the illegal activities like car street racing for money if you win the race. You brought the time to tune your car up... until is done, there it comes a new custom car for you it will be called:

Blue Thunderbolt

Curiosity:

Buildings:

I know they aren't perfect due to geometry distance, so you notice the front of building has rooftop wrong perspective, so these props are made to look
better in map. I rushed these graphics due to deadline is too closse

That's building is inspired by Silent Hill, lol yes i love survival horror games

If you didn't notice this big building, it plays neon animation in game.

Damage Car:

It's perfect condition

When it gets first crash

It's like 50% damage

It's destroyed, so it's unable to drive

Props:

Simply as prop scene, it has shadow which is cut to make look better, so you can notice in game.

CPU Car:

It's called Red Falcon

BlueScope's Car:

That's he won the custom car for next new version.

The Controls:
    Arrow Keys:
    Up - Accelerate
    Down - Brake
    Left - Steer Left
    Right - Steer Right
    Shift - Handbrake

TODO:
    Graphics
    -Buildings
    -Pavement
    -Intro
    -Transition
    -Damaged & Destroyed Car

System:
    -Better CPU Behavior Minor change
    -Sounds
    -Slow Speed in Offroad - Not needed
    -Lap system
    -Menu Better Intro to save some events

A Mini-Prize for feedbackers:
-If you made a best feedback, i make a custom car for you!
Conditions: I will choose one of your posts which is worth a feedback to upgrade possibly better game.

(How to post your custom car: Simply add your logo, username, color, custom smoke and skid, whatever you want but there an exception about car design, it's a surprise.)

BlueScope won a custom car! (You guys are too late to post better feedback!)
It will appear at next new version

Userbar:

CREDITS

Sounds:

-There another a cool guy who made nice sound effects it's named Savvy001.

Graphics:

-I did them, which they require some time to have nice props

Plugins:

-This Game used with 2 plugins Step and Sprite Font, thanks to rexrainbow and Mipey!

Engine:

-It's used with Construct 2 - Free edition, this game contains 96 events, i'm glad that could to finish the development.

Code:

-I did myself with some tutorials from Scirra website which helped me a lot

Last edited by joannesalfa on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:37 am, edited 10 times in total.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:32 pm
The Third Man

This is, in this stage already, very exciting to play. I was sitting there, not knowing what to do at first, so some hint on the controls might be nice in the actual game for gunslingers like me who play first and read later :D
The driving controls are nice and challenging, the drifting is very interestingly done and easy to pick up on (but maybe only for one who plays racing games all day like me). Maybe a rotating camera would be nice, and it should definately be easy to do (by setting the layout angle to the car's angle, and reposition accordingly) - try it out, it might make everything easier!

Also, be aware that driving gme sound effects are some of the hardest to get right... and considering the importance of those in a game like this, maybe plan some more time in for those than you did originally.

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

Venetia
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:24 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

joannesalfa wrote:
I started this game in March 25th while im learning how to use Construct 2, i know i was very late to finish this game but i'm sure i can finish it for 48 hours before March 31th.

that's incredible! if you manage to pull off a full entry in that little time, that almost deserves its own reward, haha :D

Top Top

handi
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Lol, same here.. mine also started on 27th. Hope do the best until the end :D

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:13 pm

BlueScope wrote:
This is, in this stage already, very exciting to play. I was sitting there, not knowing what to do at first, so some hint on the controls might be nice in the actual game for gunslingers like me who play first and read later :D
The driving controls are nice and challenging, the drifting is very interestingly done and easy to pick up on (but maybe only for one who plays racing games all day like me). Maybe a rotating camera would be nice, and it should definately be easy to do (by setting the layout angle to the car's angle, and reposition accordingly) - try it out, it might make everything easier!

Also, be aware that driving gme sound effects are some of the hardest to get right... and considering the importance of those in a game like this, maybe plan some more time in for those than you did originally.

Thanks for your first feedback, that's good idea i will see i can put this rotating screen module in menu options.

Quote:
that's incredible! if you manage to pull off a full entry in that little time, that almost deserves its own reward, haha :D

hehe, thanks, you know what sucks? i have no experience how to create sound effects, but i got some sounds from a good guy :p

Quote:
Lol, same here.. mine also started on 27th. Hope do the best until the end :D

We hope too!

Maybe i will choose Bluescope's feedback, he might to have his custom car for my game, but not now we can wait for some hours before to submit my final entry :)

Top Top

Eventing_Guy
  Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:32 pm
Awesome Bro

Wow... pretty hard... but not unmanageable.

(I'm just Bad at driving games) :tongue:

Good Job & Good Luck

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 am

Updated, too bad i couldn't finish this game at 100% well, i hope it will be finished tomorrow!

Im not sure you can hear this sound, i had no experience about sound effects, also i noticed when it plays some audio, it causes performance issues.

At this today, i must create different buldings, lap lines, intro and something extra.

Anyone wants good feedback for a mini-prize as custom car? If not, BlueScope will win a custom car.

Last edited by joannesalfa on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:35 pm
The Third Man

I gotta say it's really so damn fun to drift around those corners that I kept reloading it to try again because I don't want to wait for it to restart on it's own. You can take off right away before your opponent does, but I suppose that's going to be changed along with a start light automatic. Other than that, there's a ridiculously fun game in this contest that beats everything else gameplay-wise in my opinion. Only thing with it now is that when you actually got the feeling for how to drift, you can easily outrun the opponent. ^^ But I guess that's the case in every game you're getting good at.

And while I'm really not giving you advice to get a car but to make your game better, if I do end up your choice of best advice giver, I'd like to take my chance to get the glorious Dodge Viper (or, you know, something that looks a lot like it, but is called something entirely different, such as 'Todge Vapor' :thumb: ) in there - really the only thing you can do to make drifting more fun :D

Top Top

Ugotsta
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:24 am

Great game, and I definitely think BlueScope should get the custom car.

Also, the warning about upcoming curves is just so cool. I can see how to do it in Construct 2, I just never would have thought of it. Brilliant!

Support these contest entries! [Submit yours to add!]

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:51 am

BlueScope wrote:
I gotta say it's really so damn fun to drift around those corners that I kept reloading it to try again because I don't want to wait for it to restart on it's own. You can take off right away before your opponent does, but I suppose that's going to be changed along with a start light automatic. Other than that, there's a ridiculously fun game in this contest that beats everything else gameplay-wise in my opinion. Only thing with it now is that when you actually got the feeling for how to drift, you can easily outrun the opponent. ^^ But I guess that's the case in every game you're getting good at.

And while I'm really not giving you advice to get a car but to make your game better, if I do end up your choice of best advice giver, I'd like to take my chance to get the glorious Dodge Viper (or, you know, something that looks a lot like it, but is called something entirely different, such as 'Todge Vapor' :thumb: ) in there - really the only thing you can do to make drifting more fun :D

Thanks, it was inspired by classic arcade games, so i decided to take the gameplays from 90's standards.

Ugotsta wrote:
Great game, and I definitely think BlueScope should get the custom car.

Also, the warning about upcoming curves is just so cool. I can see how to do it in Construct 2, I just never would have thought of it. Brilliant!

Thanks, anyone couldn't make a better feedback than BlueScope's feedback here, but it's late because we are close to deadline, so BlueScope deserves it.

Im working some progress, it lacks like 20% before to get 100%.

Top Top

Bob Thulfram
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:43 pm

I got stuck when I ran off the track. I couldn't back up or turn.

Makes me think that there should be an escape method where you can teleport back to a safe position. I might add it to my own game too. Stuck is not a good place to be!

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:52 pm

Bob Thulfram wrote:
I got stuck when I ran off the track. I couldn't back up or turn.

Makes me think that there should be an escape method where you can teleport back to a safe position. I might add it to my own game too. Stuck is not a good place to be!

How did you get stuck off the track? i never got stuck during my beta testing, anyways can you post a screenshot or sketch? i may take seriously to clean that bug.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:11 pm
The Third Man

@Bob: Just to make sure you're not misinterpreting: When your car's done, you won't be able to move anymore. So, if you hit a wall, your car got destroyed and you were off-track, all input would be ignored.

Top Top

Bob Thulfram
  Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:41 am

BlueScope wrote:
@Bob: Just to make sure you're not misinterpreting: When your car's done, you won't be able to move anymore. So, if you hit a wall, your car got destroyed and you were off-track, all input would be ignored.

That explains it. I was definitely smashing and crashing, and off-track. Maybe you should add a tow truck to haul me away. :wink:

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:26 am

Thank to god, im in starbucks to upload the game because my house lost internet connection for 24 hours.... ugh, finally i finished this game. Let me edit to edit this thread before i submit my entry.

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:15 am

If this game gets more than 20 votes in viewtopic.php?f=293&t=76431 i will release a full version of .capx

(I just wanted to promote my game)

Top Top

valkyriegames
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:14 pm
Awesome Bro

Hey great final game and great graphics. I had heaps of fun drifting except I couldn't make it through the game without dying :( For the sign on the neon building, I thought the girl's hand was a man's head when I first looked though... =_______=;;

Content Hidden

Content Hidden

Top Top

Venetia
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:39 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

Ahahahah, the buildings are too cute.

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:08 pm

valkyriegames wrote:
Hey great final game and great graphics. I had heaps of fun drifting except I couldn't make it through the game without dying :( For the sign on the neon building, I thought the girl's hand was a man's head when I first looked though... =_______=;;

Thanks for your comment, lol you tought it was man's head, its has long hair, it's pretty weird what you think, let's see what happens the results.

Venetia wrote:
Ahahahah, the buildings are too cute.

If you didn't notice there a poster on right from the door of cool club building, in game it has zoom system and if you brake there, you get zoomed in and you will see it what is this, when you are done then tell me :)

i know this game isn't perfect, it's just a prototype and it has some issues like when you crash CPU car, you get bumped that needs to be fixed, it has 96 events and i started it on march 25th is that day i noticed about the contest.
If i get a standard license i could to improve this game for adding maps, more events, car selection, multiplayer, purchase upgrades to tune up, make your custom car to save your car in local storage and upload to other player for versus, facebook time scores, etc. it's part of my dream.

Top Top

valkyriegames
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:54 am
Awesome Bro

Lol I meant the hand, the girl looks like a girl :) But I will stop going on about this now Lol ^^;

joannesalfa wrote:
If you didn't notice there a poster on right from the door of cool club building, in game it has zoom system and if you brake there, you get zoomed in and you will see it what is this, when you are done then tell me :)

Ahaha this got me curious and I went ahead and had a look too. Nice touch! :D
Content Hidden

Content Hidden

Content Hidden

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:10 am

valkyriegames wrote:
Lol I meant the hand, the girl looks like a girl :) But I will stop going on about this now Lol ^^;

joannesalfa wrote:

Ahaha this got me curious and I went ahead and had a look too. Nice touch! :D
Content Hidden

Wow it makes me happy when this made you curious, you know why easter eggs are so nice!

Top Top

afgho
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:17 am

Great racing game, drifting make the game so much easier it was but still pretty hard. :)

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:20 am

afgho wrote:
Great racing game, drifting make the game so much easier it was but still pretty hard. :)

Nice to hear drifting make the game so much easier, so i noticed driving is kind of hard but challenged.

Would you like to record my video how to win the race in this game via youtube?

Top Top

BlueScope
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:57 am
The Third Man

What can I say, this game is so damn fun to me I keep coming back to play it... must be the 10th time I'm starting it up now (demos included), with multiple playthroughs every time. I gotta say you got the drifting mechanics done pretty good, even though I personally like to powerslide through corners rather than drift... it's a tad faster, since you keep the speed at 164mph ;)
I had a nice run the other day when I managed to win it without hitting the walls a single time, and taking every corner quite nicely... that would've made for an awesome promotional video, but yeah... would've had to think about that :p
Not a big surprise one of the votes for your game is from me. :grin:

My main requests to make this better (that's for after you winning the license, that is ;) ):
  • coin chip-in on the title screen - it's just missing for the already so well-established arcade feel
  • a faster way to get back into the race when finished
  • maybe extend the checkpoints a bit... I found myself driving through there with uncompleted laps time and time again, while not doing anything noteably wrong... or maybe you could post a screen of where they are? ^^
  • definately a round timer... then you'll even get your video from me :grin:
  • after you finish the race, your car should drive towards a certain waypoint, not just drive straight and therefore into a wall half the time
  • when the opponent stops racing (either because you die or because you lose), he shouldn't just stop, but roll out

Yeah, that should give you a bunch of stuff to do XD I'd definately like to see this stay alive and maybe further developed... if you can't leave it where it is right now, I'd offer you to host this on my webserver (in Germany, high performance connection, no speed limit, but I can't offer you FTP access to it for security reasons) for an unrestricted amount of time!

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:57 am

BlueScope wrote:
What can I say, this game is so damn fun to me I keep coming back to play it... must be the 10th time I'm starting it up now (demos included), with multiple playthroughs every time. I gotta say you got the drifting mechanics done pretty good, even though I personally like to powerslide through corners rather than drift... it's a tad faster, since you keep the speed at 164mph ;)
I had a nice run the other day when I managed to win it without hitting the walls a single time, and taking every corner quite nicely... that would've made for an awesome promotional video, but yeah... would've had to think about that :p
Not a big surprise one of the votes for your game is from me. :grin:

My main requests to make this better (that's for after you winning the license, that is ;) ):
  • coin chip-in on the title screen - it's just missing for the already so well-established arcade feel
  • a faster way to get back into the race when finished
  • maybe extend the checkpoints a bit... I found myself driving through there with uncompleted laps time and time again, while not doing anything noteably wrong... or maybe you could post a screen of where they are? ^^
  • definately a round timer... then you'll even get your video from me :grin:
  • after you finish the race, your car should drive towards a certain waypoint, not just drive straight and therefore into a wall half the time
  • when the opponent stops racing (either because you die or because you lose), he shouldn't just stop, but roll out

Yeah, that should give you a bunch of stuff to do XD I'd definately like to see this stay alive and maybe further developed... if you can't leave it where it is right now, I'd offer you to host this on my webserver (in Germany, high performance connection, no speed limit, but I can't offer you FTP access to it for security reasons) for an unrestricted amount of time!

I really appreciate your opinion, so i copied your requests to my TODO.txt because your feedback is worth.

Oh really? i must thank to you, but there something what i need to send you pm, you will check it when you have time.

---------------------------------------------------

Another topic, this is my video about the research about the performances using Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera (Im sorry IE, there no 9 & 10 for Windows XP)

I know Windows XP is quite as mininum what there some people are using XP in global.

There are results of performances:

Chrome: Poor, sometimes it lags and it's using WebGL
Firefox: Great! this is best using WebGL
Opera: It goes very well but without WebGL, wow!
Safari: It shows nothing... well... AAAAAPPPPLLLLLEEEE!

CPU: Intel Pentium D 2.0 Ghz
RAM: 2 GB DDR2
GPU: ATI X1600 PRO 512 MB

Im sorry for playing so bad because i was playing with one hand lol!

There some reason i don't use screen recorder because it may drop some FPS, only i would like to research the real FPS.

Top Top

Wink
  Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:06 am

What can I say but Wow! This is very impressive work joannesalfa :) I would have never been able to make this quality of game in the short amount of time you did. I might be just finishing up the graphics now if I started on the 25th, and your graphics are impressive. I like how you got the camera movement to zoom in, and out at just the right times it really ads to the game play :D Your game shows real pro quality. I hope you continue to develop the rest of your game with the future features you mentioned in the first post. I'm looking forward to playing this in multiplayer some day :D

Good Luck with the contest :)

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:35 am

Wink wrote:
What can I say but Wow! This is very impressive work joannesalfa :) I would have never been able to make this quality of game in the short amount of time you did. I might be just finishing up the graphics now if I started on the 25th, and your graphics are impressive. I like how you got the camera movement to zoom in, and out at just the right times it really ads to the game play :D Your game shows real pro quality. I hope you continue to develop the rest of your game with the future features you mentioned in the first post. I'm looking forward to playing this in multiplayer some day :D

Good Luck with the contest :)

Thank you a lot! i had to rush the development of the game because i didn't know about this contest when i was browsing some game development forum but i found this contest, i felt like "wtf why im so late?! let me develop a game for 5 days, a quick gameplay!"

Yes i agree with you, the online multiplayer would be awesome, if i was one of the 12th places that i get a standard license to remove the limit of 100 events so i can add socket.io or node.js for server, i really love to experiment that game. I will see if i can make a custom car for everyone can use paint to their cars on their webstorages.

Thanks for your feedback! :biggrin:

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:55 am

According to End-Contest topic, there a license give away may donate to some runner-ups, actually im in 13th place, i would love to have this license that may help me to keep developing this game and make new games.

I have $ 2 in paypal, so i can't get this license, if anyone can donate the license to me, i would like to share my .capx to donator and make new stuffs like custom car and custom map for next new version, also new tutorials in another subforum, that's my promise. :thumb:

In that case i have no license, so there no reason to keep developing my games to release for free. :sad:

Top Top

Venetia
  Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:50 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

PM me your email address, and if I get a spare license, I can forward it your way :)

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:32 pm

PM'd

Top Top