Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

JohnnySix
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:52 am

All original content, music, sprites & sounds

Simple concept, just mash the spacebar.

http://www.johnnysix.net/games/imd4/

Here's the Bar Picture thing :

Last edited by JohnnySix on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

valkyriegames
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:00 pm
Awesome Bro

Oh gee, this game is simple but really fun. I ended up playing this multiple times. You did a great job with the sprites and the music. It's really perfect. I think this entry deserves a position on the top 12, and perhaps a special mention! I like what you did to the loading screen too :P

Content Hidden

Content Hidden

Top Top

JohnnySix
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for playing! I'll be doing a bigger version with scores/times and more levels, there were a few events left over but keeping under the 100 limit and keeping a level of polish meant keeping it relatively simple. :)

Top Top

onzephyr
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:35 pm
Awesome Bro

Very nice. The music and visuals mesh perfect. the "2x,4x" chunky pixels and dithering I just love that look. Concept wise like you said it's simple, but again it works with the rest of the design. First time I played it my tendency was to directly bomb the aliens, and not the building. After dying I figured out what to do, and realized the genre of the game. I also found my sense of panic/urgency could be heightened with either more of a delay between bombs or different "hit strength" of floors, say signified by color/corruption from the aliens.

I hope you plan to continue working on post contest? I'd be interested in it's evolution.

Top Top

Jason
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:55 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
So I've had a try, it was very simple but pretty cool... however, I've just noticed something:

You've edited your post AFTER the deadline, and I'm pretty sure that goes against the rules o.O

Top Top

gillenew
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:04 pm
Knowledge

I like this game, is very nice when they eat the bomb xD

Top Top

JohnnySix
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:44 pm

Uhh, thanks Jason - I added the promotional bar image thing - didn't know it was against the rules. I'll leave it with forum admin I guess if that's an issue- they can see older instances and see if I'm a dirty cheating good-for-nothing that needs to be disqualified.

To everyone else- I'll continue to add things without making it too complex, and bonus points for stuff like using the least bombs, fastest time.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out, there are some pretty amazing entries for the other games built in under a month!

Top Top

Venetia
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:12 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

You can edit your topic as you see fit. The judges have the original version of your topic in the secret judges' forum, as it was at the time of submission. :)

Top Top

JohnnySix
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Venetia wrote:
You can edit your topic as you see fit. The judges have the original version of your topic in the secret judges' forum, as it was at the time of submission. :)

Ah, I'd just PM'd you haha, I should have read things more closely, I didn't know the bar images were used on the main screen, is it possible to replace the subtle (but still apropriately coloured ) placeholder image with this?

[http://www.johnnysix.net/games/imd4/barpic.png]

Top Top

Venetia
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:44 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

Okay, the image was replaced. Might have to clear your cache to see it.

Top Top

valkyriegames
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:43 am
Awesome Bro

Cool user bar JohnnySix. I know the contest part of the event is over, but I'm going to put it in my sig! :)

Content Hidden

Content Hidden

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:19 am

Nice simple game!

I have no problem with that, i think this definetly can be ported to mobile devices and it's one of the casual games, if you add extra background and different kind of aliens may improve the gameplay value.

I wonder how did you make undithered pixel art background, i would love to read how did you that...

anyways, keeping developing this game if you plan to release to mobile devices.

:thumb:

Top Top

Wink
  Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:15 pm

Cool little game JohnnySix :) It kind of reminds me of a game I use to play on my Commodore 64 when I was a kid. Nicely done :D

Good luck with the contest :)

Top Top

JohnnySix
  Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Good spot - it's a remake/reimagining of the old title "bomber" - my Dad used to experience many a rage quit on that back in the 80's, much to the detriment of the C64 Joystick.

Top Top

Bob Thulfram
  Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:00 am

JohnnySix wrote:
Good spot - it's a remake/reimagining of the old title "bomber" - my Dad used to experience many a rage quit on that back in the 80's, much to the detriment of the C64 Joystick.

I thought it reminded me of something. I really spent a lot of time on C64, and even read all the Compute Books on it. What a machine! Maybe the last machine where every single significant memory location was documented.

Top Top