Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

HOME FORUMS DISCORD GAMES RPG MAKER SEARCH

gamecherry
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:29 am

Hello Everyone,

This is my entry in the Construct 2 (free) Contest. It's called Hungry Lizard. You're a lizard. You eat bugs. Not all bugs are good for you.

I hope you enjoy it. Thank you for playing.

I tested this game to work in the Chrome browser. I included assets for the other browser (firefox, IE, Safari) but can't guarantee the game will work as well in those other browsers. If at all possible please, use Chrome when playing my game. Thanks.

Please, click this link to play: http://www.gamecherry.com/hungrylizard

ImageImageImageImage

I'm halfway through my first year at ITT-Tech where I'm earning my AAS in multi-media to satisfy the requirements for the game design program for which I hope to enroll in 2013. This is my first videogame and I could not believe how much easier Construct 2 made the process than other programs I've tried to use in the past (I'm looking at you Flash).
Where previously I got frustrated trying to learn the various coding languages (so much so that I enrolled in school to learn them), within 3 weeks I went from an idea to a realized vision with Construct 2. Next to Photoshop this is my new favorite program.

The free version of Construct 2 limits the amounts of "events" you can use to 100. I used all 100 and would have loved to have been able to add more bug types, more sounds, more animations, more levels, and maybe even level bosses. If I win a Construct 2 standard license I will add those.

Last edited by gamecherry on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:40 am
The Third Man

While it's not really on-topic: In the defense of Flash, it's not a tool designed to make game design easy, but to make complex vector animations on a professional level. While I don't like it myself too much, there's definately a reason for the price difference between the two.
Interestingly enough, the same you said about C2 and Flash could be said about Paint and Photoshop, and yet you prefer the latter. I'd say it's a matter of being used to something or not.

As for your game, it definately looks vastly different from all the others... must've missed you posting in the submission thread, though... don't forget that if you haven't done it yet (but then again, I might just be blind... ^^ )

Edit: Nevermind... blindness it is.

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

gamecherry
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:51 am

I'm not trying to take anything away from Flash. A lot of people have made some excellent things with it as I myself have tried to do. The problem isn't with Flash, the problem is with me...I'm just not smart enough to use it effectively.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:09 am
The Third Man

Well, that makes two of us then :)

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

rosareven
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:24 am
House Vidae
Sponsor

Add me along, three of us, we can start the "not a big fan of Flash club".

There was a semester of digital media subject where I attempted Flash for the final assignment project. We had about 10 weeks to complete it as a group. Throughout the first 9 weeks I was really struggling with Flash and just couldn't get the interface to work as I intend it to. On the last week, the 10th week, I finished my part of the project with Javascript.

Good luck gamecherry! Did you draw the art yourself?

Top Top

valkyriegames
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:14 am
Awesome Bro

Neat. I like the art! Love the feel it has. Good luck in the contest!

Content Hidden

Content Hidden

Top Top

gamecherry
  Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:24 am

Thank you all for the encouraging comments. I did create all the art and I was still creating and adding assets 30 minutes until the contest deadline. Every time I looked at it I thought there was something that could use some improvement - it's a good thing this contest had a deadline or I never would've finished it, lol.
It's worth noting that all the music came from Kevin MaCleod who offers a ton of royalty free music for whatever your project. I don't know the rules for posting links so just google him. Thanks again and good luck to all of you.

Top Top

gamecherry
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:32 pm

There's been some confusion about the lady bugs in my game. You cannot eat them. Lady bugs spawn when you reach a certain amount of points(125, 400, etc...). When they're on the screen all "bad" bugs disappear until the Lady Bug exits the screen. This gives you some "extra time" to gather more points and spawn another Lady Bug.
Also, play through all the rounds(there are 6 of them) and you'll encounter other things. For instance. somewhere around round 3 Lily Flowers will start to descend from the top of the screen. Their purpose is to get in your way and make it more difficult to eat the bugs(you can push them out of the way with your tongue).
Mosquitoes show up around round 4 or 5 and will spawn at the furthest point away from the lizard. Mosquitoes will follow the lizard around the screen until either you eat them or they sting you.

Thanks again for playing.

Top Top

Gubid
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:06 pm
Scripting Nerd

I would ask that you remap the keys from UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT to WASD. I mean, you are making us use the mouse and that is the standard. Or just make them both sensitive.

My Projects

Awards

Top Top

gamecherry
  Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Gubid,

Thank you for playing it, I appreciate it. I wanted to use WASD from the beginning but thought it might be too confusing for the casual crowd. I would've added the option to use either or but I ran out of events in the free version of Construct2. If I win a standard license, I'll add it.

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:39 am

Nice casual game! I loved how did eat a fire fly and electric bug it made nice eye candy.

I would like to leave some feedbacks, animating lizards tongue would be nice because static tongue looks kinda less gameplay but it's fine, using arrow keys while im using mouse makes hard to play that it makes me don't move lizard often, use WASD instead of arrow keys it would to be comfort.

Good luck!

Top Top

Wink
  Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Cool little game gamecherry :) I like the graphics, and I also like the animations when you eat a fire fly :D This would make a nice game for mobile devices.

Good luck with the contest :)

Top Top

farsmile90
  Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:22 pm

gamecherry, i hope you win a standard license, you deserve it, because of your good work here, i like your graphic, and ofcouse, if you have a standard license, this game will be very awesome :) dev this game for mobile , mate.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Top Top

gamecherry
  Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:09 pm

Farsmile90,

Thank you for the kind words. My game was intended from the beginning to be a touch screen game. I made an apk for my Kindle Fire (using appMobi) and it's a lot more fun and intuitive. If I win the standard license, you will see a much bigger/revamped version of Hungry Lizard on the Android Marketplace sometime soon.
I have already started creating my second game (it's going to be epic)& now that I have three weeks of Construct2 experience under my belt things are going a lot quicker.
Congratulations on receiving so many popular votes & kudos on the graphics. Thanks again for playing my game and I'm sure we'll be seeing each other around here in the future.

Top Top