Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Venetia
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:22 am
venerable inertia
Staff

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image
THE CONTEST IS FINALLY AT AN END.
The judges have painstakingly mulled over all the entries, and, after much deliberation and thought, have compiled all of their scores, and all entries have been placed.
There was a tie for 3rd place, and it was so close, that the numbers of votes were counted, along with their Community scores (again, assigned only in case of ties).
In the end, we have all agreed that we feel the top 3 who placed deserve their titles.
We are only saddened by the fact that we can only make 12 of you winners. If we had the cash, we'd be awarding all of you.

In any case, without further delay ...

Behold, the winners of the CONSTRUCT 2 BUILD & WIN CONTEST!:

Image Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Image Image

Full Text List of Placement

All prize winners were PM'd to discuss their preferences towards their prize winnings.

Image Image
LASTLY, LET'S GIVE SOME SPECIAL THANKS TO:

The BUILD & WIN Contest JUDGES:
• Venetia
• Sophist
• Brewmeister
• Pipesnogger
• Juan J. Sánchez
• Foreverwhere
• LiquidMetal91

The DONORS who donated $20 or more during FUNDRAISING for the contest:
• Eventing_Guy
• Glitchfinder
• Mega Flare
• Pokemaniac
• Rosareven
• Tuna
• Walton Simons
• Venetia

The SCIRRA Developers, who built Construct 2:
• Tom Gullen
• Ashley Gullen

And, of course:
• Everyone who entered the contest, regardless of standings
• All of the HBGames members who supported the entries and kept the entrants motivated
• The Scirra.com Forum members, who joined in, and helped spread the word about the contest
You! :O!

Top Top

wishy
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:33 am

wooot, I made it =-)

My first contest I win :-)

Congratulations to everyone !!!

Big thanks to HBGames for making this happen aswell :)

Top Top

Eventing_Guy
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:38 am
Awesome Bro

Wow... Farther down that list then I would have liked... not that I was keeping the prized anyway (Unless it was money)

I never Win Contest so No surprise...

Congrates Everyone... Back to G.A. for me.

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:42 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Aww I wanted to be 1st! :cry:

But seriously, well done everyone! It was actually really fun to compete in this, and some of the games really do deserve to be on that list :thumb:

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:53 am

sigh....

Top Top

Toams
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:38 am
THAT foreigner
Sponsor

Woohoo!! Congrats everyone!

Top Top

Spoo
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:38 am
Certified Bad Pun Aficionado
Sponsor

Party Mascot
Congrats, wishy!

Welcome to recognition!

SMITE | PATH OF EXILE | BATTLEBLOCK

Top Top

Venetia
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:57 am
venerable inertia
Staff

I'm sorry, joannesalfa -- I really loved High Speed Zero. You did really good work on it!
Maybe one of the winners will want to donate their copy to you?

I hope no one is too down about how they placed ... We tried to judge as fairly as humanly possible. You all did so well; thank you all for participating!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Top Top

Venetia
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:57 am
venerable inertia
Staff

By the way, the PMs were sent to all the winners. Check your inboxes :D

Top Top

Wink
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:58 am

Congregations everyone! Wow, this is incredible news :D I never won anything in my life before this :) i already have a standard license, and I would like to give this one to someone that didn't win anything if that is ok?
Im at the bar selebrating right no but I want to give this away farely so wait till I sober up! ;)

Last edited by Wink on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Bob Thulfram
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:04 am

Congrats to all, winners or nay. This was my first contest and I learned a huge amount in a very short time. Let's do it again!

Top Top

rosareven
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:05 am
House Vidae
Sponsor

Congratulations everyone \o/

I can see this contest being really difficult to judge. All entries have a certain unique charm that makes each one special. I can imagine some of you judges have a bit of heartbreak at the ones that didn't make it into the list.

Top Top

farsmile90
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:08 am

Congr everyone ^^, great contest ! and wow, i win it :) :box: :box: ,maybe i'll keep the license, and open another small contest for all my friend who like construct :))

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Top Top

BlueScope
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:13 am
The Third Man

I found the scores interesting... and definitely not like I would've expected them. That goes for both the outcome as for individual scores for individual games. Personally, my calculated score was 19, so I was pretty close... however, in my estimation, that only got me somewhere between place 10 and 14 ^^ So, I'm a lot higher than I thought I'd be, but I'm glad I am for sure :biggrin:
I'm glad I managed to avoid the dreaded 13th place, but I'm a little downed that it's taken by my personal favorite for this contest... anyone announce to donate their license yet to runner-ups?

Overall, there's a lot of games that I think deserve to be where they are (and very few that I think don't)... I can cheer with the winner here, though, as that game surely had to have a high-up spot. I'm glad to see the Music Fighter, Dungeon.Sec and Green 2: Red in there as well... but of course, congrats to all winners! :)

If you have a slightly positive memory of my Power Shift contest game,
you might be interested in this development screenshot...
More info about that soon!

Top Top

Venetia
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:32 am
venerable inertia
Staff

BlueScope wrote:
Personally, my calculated score was 19, so I was pretty close... however, in my estimation, that only got me somewhere between place 10 and 14 ^^ So, I'm a lot higher than I thought I'd be, but I'm glad I am for sure :biggrin:

You may have already seen this, but remember, you can view all the specific scores and their breakdowns in this PDF. Most of the people who placed were ridiculously close in scores.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:37 am
The Third Man

Yeah, I already overanalyzed it with Raven backing me... there were a few very questionable decisions in there that even were shared between judges... (overall, that is, not for my game... but with very little impact also for my game). I really apprechiate the in-depth listing, btw... very insightful.

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:44 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
How could 3 people NOT give me and Tuna a 4 for Marketing?! I mean, there's even a 2 in there! Judge number 9, whoever you are, I don't like you anymore! :mad: *pouts*

Top Top

farsmile90
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:46 am

:)) maybe if ya see him/or her you'll change your mind, be cool jason and congr to you :box:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:49 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Oh don't worry, if I meet this person I'll umm... I'll do something... something SO bad, that they'll... well I don't know, cry or feel bad or something? Maybe if I show them a picture of drowning puppies... or of I ACTUALLY drown puppies... hmm, I'm gonna' have to ponder this idea. :thumb:

But thanks lol, and yeah congratulations to everyone! :toot: :cheers:

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:54 am

Venetia wrote:
I'm sorry, joannesalfa -- I really loved High Speed Zero. You did really good work on it!
Maybe one of the winners will want to donate their copy to you?

I hope no one is too down about how they placed ... We tried to judge as fairly as humanly possible. You all did so well; thank you all for participating!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

No problem, i appreciate your post and it was fun for participating the contest.

When i saw a thread about who wants to be jugde, then i knew some judges have friends may support for their friends and add low score to each other who is not known. That's fine, but quite unreasonable for being a judge to public. Every other contest holders will choose the judges who made their popular games and let ask them if they want to be judge.

It seems like i have should to have done extra features like additional maps, nitro, more cars, etc. maybe i get extra scores, but it was late due to deadline since i started in march 25th heh.

I didn't know there some participants already have licenses, if they donate a copy to me, i should to give my .capx and make custom car, map and character for anyone who donated me.

Congrats all winners!

Top Top

Venetia
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:56 am
venerable inertia
Staff

Jason wrote:
How could 3 people NOT give me and Tuna a 4 for Marketing?! I mean, there's even a 2 in there! Judge number 9, whoever you are, I don't like you anymore! :mad: *pouts*

The judges all varied in opinions ... Some scored more harshly, some were easier to impress. A couple of the scores were arguable, but with 7 judges, strange scores would often be balanced out in the averages. All I can say is, we all worked really hard on this. Perhaps you noticed the image of all the material we had to compile on how to properly judge? All of the judges had to read all of it before starting. I don't think any of us rushed our verdicts.

Anyway, I'm sorry if any of you were judged more harshly than you'd prefer. But think of it this way: No one is perfect! You can't please all of the people all of the time ... But you might end up pleasing some of the people, some of the time :)

Top Top

Venetia
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:00 am
venerable inertia
Staff

joannesalfa wrote:
When i saw a thread about who wants to be jugde, then i knew some judges have friends may support for their friends and add low score to each other who is not known. That's fine, but quite unreasonable for being a judge to public. Every other contest holders will choose the judges who made their popular games and let ask them if they want to be judge.

We definitely didn't let members' popularity affect our scores, I can say that for certain.
Of the top 12 placing members, only 4 or 5 of them were HBG members before the contest started! And Jason (& Tuna) are the only long-term HBG members to place in the top three.

Top Top

BlueScope
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:04 am
The Third Man

Speaking of the judging criteria, is there actually a grab-able version of all of those available somewhere? I'd be interested :grin: (just looked at the picture you hid in the initial post, but it's quite undistinguishable)

Top Top

Venetia
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:23 am
venerable inertia
Staff

BlueScope wrote:
Speaking of the judging criteria, is there actually a grab-able version of all of those available somewhere? I'd be interested :grin: (just looked at the picture you hid in the initial post, but it's quite undistinguishable)

I didn't make ALL of the material available, but a good portion of it is in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=873496#p873496
(It's been edited to add additional info you may not have seen when you first saw that thread.)

Hopefully that helps! I'm not eager to debate scores with people, so I ask that no one starts arguments about interpretations of scores. The judges were well-informed, and made well-informed decisions. They shouldn't have to defend them, especially since they are supposed to be anonymous :)

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:35 am

Venetia wrote:
Hopefully that helps! I'm not eager to debate scores with people, so I ask that no one starts arguments about interpretations of scores. The judges were well-informed, and made well-informed decisions. They shouldn't have to defend them, especially since they are supposed to be anonymous :)

Well, with my sincerity, these judges aren't mentioned to whose are the numbers were posted in PDF, i think maybe they won't expose who are really the judges because some judges won't to be offended, compromised by personal vendetta and something like that from angry participants for some reason, so they aren't supposed to be the judges, but they took their decisions to be judge in the contest.

Last edited by joannesalfa on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:36 am
I'm a doctor in Costa Rica.
Sponsor

Party Mascot

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed being a judge. Also, just so you know, anyone who submitted their games late I gave them a 0 at marketing. Gladly, these were non permanent HBG residents, so I see it as a plus for the community.

Top Top

Venetia
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:43 am
venerable inertia
Staff

joannesalfa wrote:
Well, with my sincerity, these judges aren't mentioned to whose are the numbers were posted in PDF, i think maybe they won't expose who are really the judges because some judges won't to be offended, compromised by personal vendetta and something like that from angry participants for some reason, so they aren't supposed to be the judges, but they took their decisions to be judge in the contest.

Not ... Entirely sure what you're saying here due to translation problems.

There were 7 judges, each given a randomized number (1-9). There were originally 9 judges, but two of them were unable to submit scores on time.

There are no additional judges. I kept the judges numbered instead of naming them because I don't want anyone trying to pick fights with them over their scores.

It was a lot of work being a judge, and they really didn't get anything for doing it, so I do not feel that entrants should be allowed to harass them about the judges' honest opinions.

Top Top

farsmile90
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:52 am

^^ i don't ever think about this contest is fair or not fair... just care about what i learned from it :heart:
Simple and comfortable control, good gameplay and easy to play always the best, this is what i learned ...

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Top Top

joannesalfa
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:56 am

Im sorry for my english.

So you kept the judges numbered instead of naming, well there a reason why these judges gave some unreasonable scores and you know why you decided to not put their names. I'm not here to complain about the judges, i was commenting that why these judges weren't good and i know it was hard work.

If the judges were good for posting the reasons of scores and let the participants will accept their reasons, it would be good idea to not pick the fights. In that case some participants decide to harass about the judges, they should to be banned here.

Top Top

Tuna
  Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:59 am
Probably cooler than you.
Awesome Bro

I just want to say thank you again to Ven, Soph, Brew, Pipes, Juan, Forever, Liquid, and all of the HBGames community for supporting Project GRID in this contest! Especially large thanks to Ven for putting up with my ceaseless private messages and providing extra encouragement throughout the process! It's been a joy working on GRID, and I can only imagine what it may have become had I helped for more than a very small portion of two weeks on the project. Congrats to all of the winners! It's been a joy competing with you all!

In regards to the many comments about judging, judging a contest like this is certainly a difficult task. Like Ven said, Jason and I were the only forum natives that actually made the top three, so the judging was unbiased in every meaning of the word. I personally won't spend more than a quick second looking over the scores we received, because the contest is over and that is that. No point dwelling over things that can't be changed!

Thank you again to Ven for hosting this awesome contest! If you've spoken to her as much as I have over the past few weeks, then you'll realize just how much heart and soul she has poured into this contest. Without her, I doubt it would have been anywhere near as successful as it turned out to be. I look forward to the next contest, and hopefully she won't be too exhausted to head that one as well!

Much love for all,
Tuna!

Last edited by Tuna on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top