Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Doctor
  Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:26 pm

To tell the truth, I'm not exactly sure this belongs here, but I needed to vent some long accumulated frustration.

Maybe you people are familiar with what I'm going to be complaining about...
Do you ever get PMs, or emails, or even reply in your projects thread that go like this: "Hey, I think your project is great, I give it 10/10 (I didn't play it, or even bothered to read the description, but I like those screenshots). Now, can I use those tilesets/charactersets/scripts"?

I am referring to leeches that try to bleed you. (Though I'm not talking about people asking for requests in the graphics or RGSS forum, that is quite different).

Now, I have nothing against flattery, especially when it's deserved, but I simply cannot stand hypocrisy. If you're going to comment about a game, make sure you know what you're talking about. Believe it or not, people KNOW when all you've done is gaze at the pretty pictures thinking "Gee, this would look great in my game about magical crystals"!

If you want to use ressources found in a game, at least have the decency to play the said game. And if you can't be bothered to do that, don't you dare ask the creator to use their stuff! The creators will upload their stuff for public use if they want you to use them.

That was me venting. Feel free to reply, agree, disagree...

Top Top

The Cry of Fallen Angels
  Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:30 pm

If something is for use, it should be in the download manager. People fail to understand that most of the time. But you can simply give them a link or say they can´t use it. This isn´t as bad as getting requests per pm, that is just horribly annoying.

Top Top

Jstreet
  Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:16 am
Alias: Panda
Sponsor

TCoFA, you know...I think Sponsered members get errors when they try to get something out of the LDM.

@Flash
Rant rant rant agree.

Top Top

Tohsaka
  Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:57 am
Sponsor

I would never do such a thing. Thee is a reason why we have ENCRYPTION and the request forum. If someone encrypts a game, it is so that you don't get the scripts/resources/events. So, you go the the request forum and request it.

And jstreet, Sponsors can't use the manager? Stop justifying your usage of the PM system for leeching. Lol, j/k

Top Top

Constance
  Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:56 am

It is a respectful jesture asking the creator to use those graphics, but I do agree with you.

I can only relate to this in the instance of helping people with their forums, as I like to help newer forums on their feet more rather than say this community. They will ask, "Could you help me with my forum, you can be a mod or administrator." True it is an honor to be a mod or admin for something like that but I had to stop at Lost Shadows Forum. So I got rid of all of them except for mine and that one.

And then there are those that leech off of other forums, even I am a victim of it with Creation Asylum. They will see an image they like or some coding and use it for their forum.

That's just my situation. I'm done with my ventilation now ^_^.

~Constance

Top Top

Darthcourt
  Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:57 am

Thats evil, if your gonna leech:
AT LEAST TAKE THE EFFORT TO SEE THE RESOURCE IN ACTION!!!!

Thats even if you leech, which no matter what is a horrible......

*Continues ranting for 13 more pages*
*Accidentally deletes and is too lasy to rewrite*

Top Top

ryanwh
  Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:05 am

Unless you physically made the resource yourself, I really dont see how its a problem. Oh, they should go the truely difficult task of finding the resource, like you did? No, if you have it, and its not really yours, there's no reason not to give it to them.

" By existing, Ghostlight highlights all of the things about Gaming World that its members are supposedly rebelling against: elitism, internet drama, community politics, et cetera. SO, your putting the logo in your game tells me that YOU as an individual fully support Ghostlight and what it stands for; this disappoints me, because, in opinion, Ghostlight is one of the worst things that's ever happened to the community (behind Gaming Ground Zero, of course)."-Some loser
current graphics projects

current game projects

Top Top

Lene
  Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:32 am

[QUOTE=ryanwh]Unless you physically made the resource yourself, I really dont see how its a problem. Oh, they should go the truely difficult task of finding the resource, like you did? No, if you have it, and its not really yours, there's no reason not to give it to them.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It seems a bit ridiculous to have OMG!ORIGINALGRAPHICS!!!!111 that aren't even yours to begin with.

Top Top

Wumpi
  Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:07 pm

I agree. I've seen this quite a bit in the master of the wind thread, with certian people sucking up to get scripts (I realize it's not quite the same thing, since they must have actually played the game first, but it still annoys me).

A lot of it depends on how it's asked, though, if I was using, say, Stevo's overgrown graveyard I would find a simple 'Hey, what tileset are you using in those screens?' over PM, IM or even tacked on the end of a post a lot more courtious than 'Woah, this game looks awesome! Those sceens look great, could you send me to tileset you used? :D:D:D' even though they're pretty much the same thing.

@Ryan and Lene: I don't think it's so much about them wanting your resources as it is about bad manners. Just asking is perfectly fine, sucking up (especially if they whine and say things like 'your project looks really cool but you're a jerk :(:(:(' when you respond that it WAS original and you don't want to share it at this time or that a friend made it just for your game etc.) is not.

Then again I remember in the RM2K times there were a lot of people who only downloaded games to use as 'resource packs' so at least it's a slight improvement.

I imagine it would be pretty difficult to make a rule against sucking up and leaching, though.

Top Top

Doctor
  Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:35 pm

Wumpi's entirely right.

It's not at all about the ressources or scripts, it's all about manners.

People want feedback about their games, not a hundred messages saying: "Your tilesets/charasets/scripts are nice, can I use them?"

Top Top

Me(tm)
  Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:45 pm

This brings something up a friend of mine happened.

One of my good friends was making a game. Every half a month or so he released a new update for a demo with bugfixes and new features. THere where always many that responded. Then he released his final demo (the one before completion). Some said directly: 'It is so cool, Played it all and I did not find any buigs. Good work'
So h gave the demo to a very good friend. The friend found plenty of bugs in the later stage of the demo. So he asked the people who ssaid there where no bugs: 'Diden't you find any big there'. They responded: 'I quited after the first dungeon, it was boring me'

If people do like this to an almost finished game. HOW WOULD I EVER WANT TO RELEASE A DAMN GAME?

Now... what has this to do with... resources?

Well... I really really hate it when I searched hell over 10 days for the perfect music file, release a demo and then find out soimeone using the same music file (without the ORIGINAL credit). This is why I scripted an encryption system in rgss to encrypt my music. (Pay me 50 bucks to get it XD).

And then yes again.. IT IS ALL ABOUT MANNERS....

Top Top

ccoa
  Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:08 pm

There's really nothing we can do about rudeness, unless it's also flaming, or someone who also has a spam problem (just posting 'gr8 job, can u give me ur graphix' could be considered spam, I guess).

Honestly, people who treat games as nothing more than something to be ripped apart for resources infuriate me, and they always have. I remember releasing a 2k demo and a week later finding my world map (which I had literally spent months creating and detailing) in two other games by people who had the gall to imply that that map was their own work (by not crediting). That's why, if you feel strongly about it, you should encrypt your game and not respond to such things. It's not your job or responsibility to hand out resources you've found or made to everyone who asks. If you want to, great, that's very nice of you. If not, you don't have to.

Top Top

RavenTDA
  Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:04 pm
just another mask
Sponsor

Quote:
It's not your job or responsibility to hand out resources you've found or made to everyone who asks. If you want to, great, that's very nice of you. If not, you don't have to.

Agreed. It's very annoying to have to do that especially if they're just sucking up. I mean that's just messed up. Don't be fake nice to someone for your own benifit. Geeze.

If you want someone's stuff you could possibly do a trade or try to help them in some sort of way instead of just all take and no give. Even if it's just a detailed review with some substance. At least you've tried to help.

I agree with rudeness factor as well. A simple PM of "gimme" is just incrediably selfish. Questioning who made it or where did you find it (like pointing out what site or forum) I think is okay.

Besides why don't they try to look else where? I respect custom graphics especially if they are made specificily for your game. That's why they are custom so they're special and not in 100+ games. There are plenty of resources for free use that can be used for anyone's game. So use that. I can't possibly see how someone's graphics/script would be crucial to your game if your game is still in the works. Work with what you have instead and actually put some effort into it and try a hand in making things custom for yourself. If you can't then there's always requesting...

...oops I ranted too much didn't I? ':|

Top Top