Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Amy
  Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:27 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
We're growing rapidly, but I'd like to take this time to ask you what we should do next.

Is there anything we've done in the past year that made you scowl, or anything you really liked that we should push further?

Do you feel we're "headed in the right direction"?

How do you think we could draw more game makers onto the forums and encourage posting in the game making areas?

How do you feel about the forum in general?

Obviously we're doing something right or we wouldn't be growing, but thinking of next steps never hurts.

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
We need a hbgames gonewild section.

But seriously, I don't really think there's much more to add to the forums in terms of game making, you've pretty much nailed the sections, or from what I can see anyway, I guess you'll need more opinions on that matter.

As for how I feel about the forums... y'know.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:24 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I can say we hope to get the ezine up and running again if anybody has any quick articles to submit.

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:37 am
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

I think we are doing good activity-wise - but we don't get much people coming in here asking for help for their games (so I can help them like I used to be able to) or that many games. Granted, some people still come here to show off their games or continue their threads - but I haven't seen that much. I kind view the title of "HBGames" as a general gaming site now. Sometimes I think I shouldn't even come here because I'm not playing games or making them. When I do post things like concepts, I get one or two responses. O_o

Usually the majority of the posts I see are in like rec room. That's what it seems like to me anyway.

Sometimes I come on here and read about things, but there isn't really anything for me to say that hasn't been said already. Also, most of the things I say tend to ignored anyhoo. XD

Top Top

Eventing_Guy
  Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:38 am
Awesome Bro

What happen to discussing about peoples games
they are making?
:cheers:

In my opinion, if there where more people doing that
with. With honest and serious feed back. More Help
here and there.

Maybe more people will join and Post there stuff.

Since I joined... I'm having fun.
- I have gave my opinions here and there.
- Helped with Character Sprites (Small edits)
- Even posted a thread about the game I am
working on...

but when a majorty of new post are just forum
Games... and even though there isn't anything
wrong with that.What are people suppost to
think we do here but that.

Edit: Strawberry beat me to it... :lol:

Top Top

gRaViJa
  Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:07 am
Creator of Ascension

I also think that there could be more discussion and feedback on the games people post here and in return more games project threads should be posted.

In this dutch community, rpgflag.nl all games get their own page on the website, where the makers can post screenshots, videos, downloads etc. in an organized way. Visitors can give their scores and feedback here. These pages are also linked to a thread in the forum. ( http://rpgflag.nl/games/ )

Just spawning ideas/thoughts :grin:

Last edited by gRaViJa on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:09 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
That's a nice idea, although when it all boils down to how to make it it's essentially the same as a forum post just formatted differently :) It would be nice though.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:21 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Discussion and feedback is all i ever see here.

I was happy to see the return of the resource manager. But it had a bumpy start and every thing I submitted disappeared, so i said screw it they can find my resource threads on the art board. You can only browse 10 images at a time which sucks. I also thought it was dumb that RTP material was uploaded. If you've come here looking for rmxp resources you wouldn't want to shift through pages and pages of resources that came with the program.

Theres no focus on completed games. Everything is geared towards projects. The only people who'll come here are people interested in game making. Its like "Games for people who make games". The site needs visitors to play the games. I agree with what gRaViJa was saying about having a page formatted for visitors. A shout box or rating system that doesn't require registering.

Top Top

Jason
  Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:43 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
That'd be a good idea, a comment/rating system that ye olde' anon can use, although I can imagine people shitposting and giving low ratings for games, just because they can.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:07 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
We have moderators for when things get out of hand.
I don't think we need to shield people from possible non-helpful comments. "This game sucks" is a valid opinion. When I read reviews for a product I look for the lowest rating. I don't trust sites that reject reviews especially when the first comment you read is "5 stars, must buy".

Top Top

Anski
  Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:30 pm

L1 Slime
I think there should be more focus to the RPG Maker section. I know you yourself came and visited RMRK, whynot, and you can tell how our focus isn't exactly on the endgame here. But, our familiarity community keeps the entire site alive. Every time I look at RMRK versus .org, I always consider .org the place to go when I need something to do with RM rather than butting around with the community, and vice versa. tl;dr: Keep the focus on RM.

Top Top

gRaViJa
  Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:17 am
Creator of Ascension

Probaply a stupid thing but here goes:

Sometimes, when people for example post an update on their project, i want to say something like "nice, update! keep up the good work!" But if feels like spamming so i refrain from posting. Something as the "like" function on facebook would be nice on those moments: you can like a comment/update wathever, and show the poster that people are following what you are doing or saying, without having to spam.

Again: just spawning ideas/thoughts.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:29 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Personally I don't mind posts saying just @hey good job", it's useful to know you're on the right track.

I worry that with a like system people might start not posting at all.

Top Top

regi
  Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:29 am
raptor king
Sponsor

While we do discourage one-word posts like "cool" or "nice" and expect you to put some effort in your posts, always feel free to just butt in with encouragement or support if you can't find anything to critique. As long as you aren't echoing the same thing a hundred members have posted before you, it's nice to help motivate hard workers!

Even better, go "View unanswered posts" at the bottom of the forums. Do a good deed and reply to some overlooked topic!

Top Top

Eventing_Guy
  Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:35 am
Awesome Bro

Kinda how I feel... Usually in my game's thread, I usually put down something Im want to do and put "likes the idea?" at the end of the post. I know people are viewing it since the View count goes up, but I don't get any replies so Its like... Ehhh.

"like it...?"
"Don't like it...?"

, but I don't want to bump since its not not a request thread.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I'll see what we can do about a proper game index. Any suggestions are more than welcome on the matter.

Top Top

Mundane
  Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:16 pm
Kind of back...

I would say you are doing nothing wrong. Why don't we give thread a more positive turn, and ask, what should we do to get better? I'd like to see a more streamlined and efficient way of managing projects. Threads work well for sharing concepts, but if the aim of the site is to incorporate all mediums of game development, we could benefit from having an entire system dedicated to projects of varying types. I like how the website ModDB.com handles its display for users' projects. Each user has the ability to add a project to the main database and add news, media, and articles for it. All of this is viewed on a simple page set up for each individual project. Users also categorize their projects with genres, engines, and styles (single or multiplayer, etc.). On these pages are also areas for other users to comment and critique. ModDB has an insanely elaborate system, but even a watered down version of it being used here, I feel could contain many benefits.

As well as stimulating the project side of the community, the availability of undocumented knowledge in our community is VAST. If we could get a knowledge base, along the lines of a wiki (which has failed in the past, I know), that is used to store information on engines and tutorials composed by various members, we may be able to reduce repetitive support questions in favor of more specific and more intimate support in the support section.

Alas, these are just some thoughts. I like the idea of a more complex and efficient system, but the way things work right now are already more than enough. Either way, there is only one way to go from here - and that's up. Keep up the good work guys.

Top Top

gRaViJa
  Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 am
Creator of Ascension

For the record: I also do think you guys are doing an awesome job with this community :)

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:53 am
I'm a doctor in Costa Rica.
Sponsor

Party Mascot

Have you visited Chaos Project? They have a script database which is suppa duppa awesome and handy. When I want to look for a script, I actually visit their site, although I don't like their forums. Why? Because they have a script database. An organized database. A database where you can quickly search for the script you want.

Lets do it, Wyatt.

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:55 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
http://www.hbgames.org/paste/scripts.php

Top Top

Mundane
  Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:08 am
Kind of back...

Yeah, now imagine that filled with projects all neatly organized with tables for screenshots, news, and articles regarding features and gameplay. It's an awful industrial way to manage things, but in code it's a freaking boar. The databasing would most likely be the toughest part, but having phpBB would make interfacing and attaching it to accounts much simpler.

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:51 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot

mouse wrote:
http://www.hbgames.org/paste/scripts.php

I know it's a hard job, but we should definitely organize this and add a bunch of scripts that are in the forums. :D

Top Top

Daxis
  Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:34 am
The arrow lives frugally.

if you're doing that, then make sure that the scripts are more than just there, but also add notificaitons on whether the author regularly visits, if help is available, last updated, if it is supported anymore by author/community, any extra notes and instructions, etc.

of course most of this is for laters :P

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:03 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
With Homebrew in the name you'd think the site would have more to offer then water. Thats a bad joke btw. I'm referring to the board styles. By water I meant the aqua style. *cough*
Anyways, I like the rpg style. But everything else is just boring blue or a pain to look at.
I'd offer to make some new styles if I knew how.

Top Top

Ace of Spades
  Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:51 pm

Party Mascot
So I absolutely love this place and have been coming here since before it became HBGames, and I'd love to see this forum grow and expand. A Project Manager would be amazing, and would probably encourage browsers to play more games instead of just window shop them. It'd be useful to be able to search for a game based off key words, or perhaps by genre, battle system, etc. Being able to see a quick description, a couple screen shots, and a review rating out of 5 stars would make browsing games much more manageable and appealing.

Top Top

Afro Samurai
  Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:09 pm
Cancer Fighter

We should create more contests. Remember the academy and the assignments?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:37 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
No, no more contest. They're distracting lol. Lately contest just feel like attempts to stir up activity around the boards. There arn't enough participants to make it worth anything. We need new blood.

Top Top

Juan J. Sánchez
  Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:51 am
Sponsor

Party Mascot

We need new blonds. I'm looking at you, Mouse.

Top Top

Afro Samurai
  Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:13 pm
Cancer Fighter

What about a sprite academy? I could teach some stuff, and I could learn scripting.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:54 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I would love to bring the academies back if anyone is interested some time.

Top Top