Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

RavenTDA
  Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:02 pm
just another mask
Sponsor

Its been a while since I've been around here... but the image resource section seems.... well scarce. I see that you broke them up into different categories and made a section of a place where you can just gather/dump images for the maker. But now that it's all done and stuff it seems well... VERY inactive! It's like difficult not to necropost.

They've always been my favorite parts of the board and I think those sections could use some love. I think it'd be nice to get back to having more visual resources available. I made a topic in the Franken-Sprite section which seems to be the most inactive. Hopefully it'll kick things up but it's hard to start making things more lively when there's not many posts to comment on that aren't necro in the first place.

So the point of my post is... what are the staff and member's thoughts on these sections of the board and are we happy with the way they are now? And if not what are some ideas that could be done to improve these sections?

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
http://alt.hbgames.org/resources/index.php

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
The pixel art board is for making art/resources, then we have the resource manager for completed works people want to share.

Top Top

RavenTDA
  Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:05 pm
just another mask
Sponsor

Yeah I see them... but they are really inactive. And that was more what I was trying to ask about.

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:00 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Oh, yeah it would be nice to get those boards a bit more active. We did a pixel art contest in 2008 (wow, that's three years ago) which worked for a bit but people just died again after the contest.

Top Top

RavenTDA
  Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 pm
just another mask
Sponsor

Maybe what's wrong is that it's too broken up? Some stuff could be it's own art forum (as in anything that's not having to do with game making). I don't think I've ever seen a site that's had a resource section that isn't apart of the board ever be kept up and updated regularly. Usually it has a lot of resources but then it dies very fast. Somehow that function of boards never work out even when you have comments.

Also I think commentary is what helps keep the forums in resources/art active. When you make it into a downloadable section even WITH comments people don't use it like a forum and actually COMMENT. They just download and run. But see this is important. Because the resource sections are usually WHY people come into a game making forum in the first place. I'd say a good chunk of people join a forum to just view it. While it's good to get rid of lurker/leeches like that I can see why you allow people to see them. But if you make it apart of the board people will eventually comment when they are looking at the resources long enough. I know that's how I usually come into a board and how I came into this one. I'd bet it's true for a lot of others.

If you haven't paid attention to that forum in 3 years then it's probably a good idea to play with it since making those areas active are crucial if you want new members and such and ones that are more art orientated.

Top Top

So fist
  Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:20 am
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

hi raven we miss you

Top Top

RavenTDA
  Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:55 pm
just another mask
Sponsor

Aww :) but... who are you :s you guys change your names too much! XD I'm thinking you might be Sophist but... it's been too long to keep track of you guys >:O arg!

I'll be around for a while I figure. I'm starting to get back into game making again and I think my breaks been too long.

Top Top

moog
  Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:05 pm
Sponsor

im despain

Top Top

So fist
  Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:17 pm
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

moog wrote:
im despain

hi despain how's sex with your cousin?

Top Top

moog
  Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:51 pm
Sponsor

tight and illegal

Top Top

So fist
  Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:22 am
Has fist, will travel.
Sponsor

moog wrote:
tight and illegal

You fucking wish, you couldn't get your dick wet if you dipped it in a lake, faggot.

Top Top

RavenTDA
  Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:03 am
just another mask
Sponsor

The resources section will never get attentions ;0;

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:05 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I'm the only one who;s ever used the comments system on the resource manager. It's quite sad.

Top Top

RavenTDA
  Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:56 am
just another mask
Sponsor

yeah that's why I'm saying maybe its better to change back since no one gets it. But I think maybe we can keep it still for like back up of stuff or people can upload things here (instead of using like tinypic or imageshack). I think resources and the objects in the art section need to become one big resource section again because it's nor really workin now imo.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:06 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
What I'd rather do is keep what we have but tweak it to look and act more like the forums. Better search, easier navigation, better comments, etc, making it look like an organised forum with downloads rather than a seperate part of the site. It's getting there but there's a way to go I guess.

Top Top

RavenTDA
  Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:19 pm
just another mask
Sponsor

If you want to tweak it to look and act more like the forums why don't you just make it forums? :s? Honestly try going to other sites that have it set up like this. I have never ever seen it work or be kept up. It's too broken up and split up. While it makes it easier for someone random coming by to find a few things, it makes it a million times more difficult to post resources (because then it has to be completely broken up piece by piece). AND people like to place their stuff together. The only thing good about it, is that it's always going to be here (as in the pictures are uploaded to the site) so we can't lose anything. But I'm telling you from a more community aspect it's not going to work. If you are the only one who's commented on it in 2 years that it's been up (or however long; I know it was just coming up around the time I left) then there's something wrong with it and maybe it's better to try something else?

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:29 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
In essence the resource manager is just a forum though, I don't understand why it's so little used for discussion. I see what you mean about people grouping everything together in one thread however, perhaps we could make a subforum of it for resource threads and that sort of thing.

That is the point of the Pixel Art forum though. If you're posting works for criticism and discussion, they go in Pixel Art Anal or in Frankensprites, depending on what they are, as those are general "works in progress" forums for those interested in progressing and learning to pixel art. It's seperated from games because pixel art can be used for anything, it's all the same.

The resource manager is for finished works you want people to use, or are letting people use. It is just that - a download manager for resources.

Generally the pixel art forum has been working quite well. Recently it's down on activity but that is mainly because the main spriters around here - perihelion, venetia, amongst others - have been a bit inactive for various reasons, and also because this is our lowest period of the year due to school work and such. While we're up on activity from this time last feb/march, we are still at half our peak activity, and boards always suffer because of that.

Things will pick up once a cool thing we're working on comes out - I don't want to give anything away though... it will be cool, that's all I can say.

Top Top

RavenTDA
  Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:49 pm
just another mask
Sponsor

Well it's up to you guys. I'd just like to point out the vast huge difference between the script section in there (part of the resource database) and the script forum itself. The activity between the two should speak for itself.

I also think it's kinda silly if the staff doesn't post then no one does. I've been to other boards and there's just a variety of people posting staff or not and they still have a pretty good post rate even if it's supposed to be slow this time of year. But maybe that's them and this is here. IDK I haven't really been around but what I do notice between before I left and now is that there's been a giant difference in activity, which I can only assume is the database since that's the only thing that's different. But either way both sections aren't doing well.

But now I'm curious to see what you guys are up to with what you're working on.

Top Top

Danielle
  Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:06 pm

Move them all together so that pixel, frankenstein, visual art, and resources are all together in one category. Make it a more centralised thing for art. Move literary and music somewhere else and move websites too, they need to be kept away so that people aren't overwhelmed by the number of forums. I think.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:00 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Websites and Computers would be better suited in with programming and app development. Lit and music I dunno, they're sort of creative but not images. Visual art anal could probably do with a better name, and yeah those could be grouped together but then people would be all "where are the resources?".

Top Top

Perihelion
  Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:46 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
I was inactive for a long time, and I was one of the main people posting regularly in PAA, but I'm back now, so that should change when I stop being temporarily busy working on other crap.

Maybe we should combine Frank's Lab and PAA again since they're both pretty inactive. I sort of hate to do that after we went to all the work separating them, but they're pretty much dead. I think the original idea was to put more emphasis on original content, but the boards just don't get enough traffic at this time to really justify it.

Also, yes, we have a new thing in the works that will hopefully encourage more posting. I'm really excited about it!

Top Top

RavenTDA
  Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:45 am
just another mask
Sponsor

Oh yes please please combine Frank's Lab and PAA. I think that's like the biggest part of the problem with the inactivity as well. I also think it might be ignored because people don't get you can put game related art in these and it's not just art in general.

Top Top

Brewmeister
  Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:37 pm
Paste above Main

lv 99 Balance Wizard

That's a problem, because it should totally be perceived the OPPOSITE way....

Art & Development is for Game Related Art & Music (& IT). But, since we don't have a non-game art board, it's ok to put (serious) non-game art in there for C&C.

The description for VAA should say, "....Non-Game-making resource graphics are allowed!"

It's a "Game Making" site people.... Focus!!! :scruff:

The reason we separated 'original' pixel art from 'rips & frankensprites' is because people were not religious about tagging their work, so it wasn't always obvious what was original, and what was not. Some were lazy, others intentionally implied that their work was original, and only admitted their transgression if someone called them on it. It was a good decision (,Peri), and shouldn't be reversed just because of lack of activity.
Since Frank's Lab is pretty much all 'pixel' type art, it would make sense as a child board of PAA.

Top Top

RavenTDA
  Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:03 pm
just another mask
Sponsor

If you can't tell the difference between frankensprites/recolors and original work then bah. THAT was the only reason? You're always going to get people that pretend their work is more than it is. Who's to stop people from posting stuff like that in original work and STILL claiming that? And yeah you have to put emphasis that this is a game making board and that's why it's a lost forum, I agree with that but not the other point. You just need someone dedicated to the forum. When I was more active I could even tell on people who was pretending other's original work was theirs when all they did was edit it. I think that's more of a issue than some fag pretending a frankensprite is something they did from scratch. It's pretty easy to tell, and if someone edited something SO heavy you can't tell it's an edit then they usually have enough sense and brains to be honest about it and not be a 12 year old dumbass trying to be an attention/popularity whore.

Top Top

Brewmeister
  Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:05 pm
Paste above Main

lv 99 Balance Wizard

That may have not been the ONLY reason, just the one that made the most sense to me... (Peri can probably elaborate better than I)

Peri, Arb, (et.al. ?) spend a lot of time separating them. I'd hate to smuck them back together, then come to the realization in the future that it was better when they were separated.

Well then, "Bah" it is. :grin: I can't tell the difference, unless it's REALLY obvious. i.e. Aluxes head on Gloria's body, or a tile I recognize from the RTP or someone else's work. But maybe that doesn't matter since I don't moderate or frequent the art boards.

The disparity between the resource manager & the resource forums is, indeed an issue. I think we need both. RM for people looking for resources, and the forums for people working on resources, learning to create, feedback, C&C, etc...
If one (RM) is distracting from the other (Forums), then maybe we need to do a better job of tying them together.
Ideally, all of the art would be in the forums, and the 'good' or 'finished' stuff would get copied to the resource manager. (I think)
But having an RM with open submissions, some people are going to skip the forums & just post stuff in the RM.
Only solution I can think of would be to limit who can copy things to the RM (from the forums). Forcing everyone else to post in the forums first.
And then once a resource makes it to the RM, a link back to the topic where it was originally posted or developed.

Let us ponder this... :scruff:

Top Top

skeet
  Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:34 pm

i like the scripts. gimme the script

Top Top