Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

9robin3
  Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:40 pm
Robin Andblom

Party Mascot
Hi every1. I have always wondered how to upload BIGGER avatar pictures. I have seen lots of people having big avatars but still it says "Too large, 160 pixels wide, and 120 pixels high" etc etc. I have also typed in custom numbers in avatar width, hight.

HOW DO YOU REALLY UPLOAD AVATARS THAT IS HIGHER THAN THE ORIGINAL VALUE?

MY YOUTUBE

__________________________________________________________________________________________
GAMES IN PROGRESS:

Top Top

dadevvtsvre
  Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:14 pm
consul for life
Sponsor

I'm pretty sure avatars can be 250 pixels high.

Top Top

9robin3
  Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:51 pm
Robin Andblom

Party Mascot
dadevster wrote:
I'm pretty sure avatars can be 250 pixels high.

yeah but I mean when I crop pictures they look so stupid when I have made them smaller:S

isn't there any other way?

MY YOUTUBE

__________________________________________________________________________________________
GAMES IN PROGRESS:

Top Top

Mega Flare
  Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:14 pm
What is your weapon of choice,
What's your weapon of choice
There is no weapon to free us all
Awesome Bro

just pay the admins money and they will let you do it lol

Top Top

Venetia
  Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:01 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

the max dimensions for an avatar here are 160px x 250px. which, i should mention, is the largest allowable size i've ever seen on any forum i've ever been on.

so, er, you really don't have much room for complaint here sweetums :)

Forums have max avatar sizes for a number of reasons. Mostly because large avatars are distracting, may take longer to load, and will throw off the theme layouts in nasty ways.

if you want to use an image larger than 160x250 as an avatar, simply open up an image editor, like Photoshop or GIMP or Paint.NET (free), and resize and/or crop it, then upload it.

OR, you can open it using Windows Photo Viewer (right-click>Preview), zoom out some until it's about the right size, then use the Snipping Tool that comes with Windows 7 (or take a screenshot and crop out everything but your avatar).

OR, use Google Image search and define the maximum image size you want, via the bar on the left, and search for an avatar image that way, and use what comes up,

OR, you can also just not have an avatar, if all of the above methods are way too difficult for some reason :)

Top Top

9robin3
  Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:50 am
Robin Andblom

Party Mascot
Venetia wrote:
the max dimensions for an avatar here are 160px x 250px. which, i should mention, is the largest allowable size i've ever seen on any forum i've ever been on.

so, er, you really don't have much room for complaint here sweetums :)

Forums have max avatar sizes for a number of reasons. Mostly because large avatars are distracting, may take longer to load, and will throw off the theme layouts in nasty ways.

if you want to use an image larger than 160x250 as an avatar, simply open up an image editor, like Photoshop or GIMP or Paint.NET (free), and resize and/or crop it, then upload it.

OR, you can open it using Windows Photo Viewer (right-click>Preview), zoom out some until it's about the right size, then use the Snipping Tool that comes with Windows 7 (or take a screenshot and crop out everything but your avatar).

OR, use Google Image search and define the maximum image size you want, via the bar on the left, and search for an avatar image that way, and use what comes up,

OR, you can also just not have an avatar, if all of the above methods are way too difficult for some reason :)

Thank you I will be able to do this in any of your ways:) Thanks:)

MY YOUTUBE

GAMES IN PROGRESS:

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:12 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Avatar restrictions are too high as it is, quite a few have avvys that break the layout even slightly. Why anyone would want or need larger I don't understand.

If you post the large image here I'm sure someone could edit it for you.

Top Top

glorious caesar
  Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:54 am

Warnings: 1
i'm actually a huge fan of big avatars. i mean internet these days is generally really fast. the only problem is the aforementioned layoutbreaking and i'm not saying like this site specifically or w/e but i mean in general a forum layout could pretty easily be altered to allow like 300x300 avatars or even like something TALL like 150x400 or something to fit all that space by the post and imo that might be pretty cool but then again lots of people have shit taste and might ruin it

Top Top

9robin3
  Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:38 am
Robin Andblom

Party Mascot
totally agree:D

MY YOUTUBE

GAMES IN PROGRESS:

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:50 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
noise wrote:
i'm actually a huge fan of big avatars. i mean internet these days is generally really fast. the only problem is the aforementioned layoutbreaking and i'm not saying like this site specifically or w/e but i mean in general a forum layout could pretty easily be altered to allow like 300x300 avatars or even like something TALL like 150x400 or something to fit all that space by the post and imo that might be pretty cool but then again lots of people have shit taste and might ruin it

300x300 would fill a lot of people's screens man! Eww. Case of opinion I suppose but when you see the avatar in hundreds of posts and sometimes many times in the same thread sometimes it's a godsend for it to be tiny.

Top Top

Perihelion
  Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:51 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
Yeah, in the era of netbooks, space is an issue again. I agree that the current max avatar size is probably too big.

Top Top