Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

falcao
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:13 am

I register to this forum on 2009 and i was wow! 500 registered users online and like 600 guests

What happen guys? everybody is minecrafting?

Or bad administration, i wonder what is happening to this community

Top Top

Jason
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:14 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Because you're so fat

Top Top

Jason
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:16 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Actually it's because a lot of the regulars from back then have all grown up and we have jobs now and spend more time in the real world...

We're not dying as such, we're pretty much alive, it's just that we're the same people on all the time, and we DO get higher numbers around a certain time of the year, so yeah it's all fine.

Also the administration here is great, I don't know what you mean o.O

... It also may be because we're HBGames now instead of RMXP, we don't only focus on that one engine anymore, so you don't see as many games being made, and we seem to be a lot more about playing games than actually making them, although we've had a lot of activity when it came to the Construct 2 contest, we could pump something like that out a few times a year I suppose to get the activity flowing again, we'll see.

But yeah, we're not dead or dying.

Top Top

Jason
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:17 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Besides, you can't really say much anyway, you've been here 3 years and made 23 posts, you can't exactly complain about it being empty with no activity if you're not here in the first place, lol.

Top Top

Jason
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:19 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Also yeah, since 2009 we've actually grown a lot according to the stats:

Most users ever online was 595 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:09 am

So maybe November/December time is when we have the most people online, wait and see lol.

Top Top

dadevvtsvre
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:28 am
consul for life
Sponsor

there are three reasons for this, sir:

-rpg maker is not nearly as popular as it used to be
-discussion forums in general are dying as more and more people flock to social networking sites like tumblr, facebook, etc.
-the administration here is full of corrupt hoodlums who are actively trying to sabotage the site

Top Top

falcao
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:32 am

I don't post too much but i read everything here, im one of those shy users that post only when it its really really necessary.

That's great 595 on 2011 but im tanking about today.

I think they need to update the forum name, to something more about rpg maker

Im not fat :biggrin: you do :haha:

Top Top

Jason
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:34 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
But the forums aren't just about RPG Maker anymore, so it seems redundant renaming it to something related to it...

Top Top

falcao
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:42 am

@doodiestar Take a look at the new estaminated Rpg maker vx ace its the new hit from Enterbrain nothing compared to the crappy version of Rpg maker vx, so i dont think rpg maker is not longer popular

@Jason This forum is no longer about rpg maker, that why i think is dying, but anyways just my opinion.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:46 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
The staff here at least have an interest in the community. I can't stand the staff of a certain rpg maker forum who only have commercial interests. All they do is groom members to trust them and give advice about going commercial. Oh, and it's just a coincidence that they have license material to sell for you game and an online store to host your game. They don't really care if your game is good or even if you finish making it. Most likely the game will suck but at least draw people to the website and make their own games look better by comparison. If you're naive to make your first game commercial (half the users there), they'll tell you there aren't a lot of options for resources except their own. Whether you use the material or not, it's money in their pocket if you bought a license.

Top Top

Mundane
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:37 am
Kind of back...

I agree with Coyotecraft. I've been here for years and nothing has really changed for me. I don't post much because I'm busy being secretive and making moves with my life. But for the last six years of my life I've visited this site every damn day. I don't have much to say anymore because I removed myself from this community's culture a couple years ago. To say that it is dying is a bit much. Times are changing, the site could use a new appeal. But that would tarnish what it's stood for for all this time - and that's community. Wub you .ORGians!

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:00 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
You can't force people to make games or post discussions. I also don't think it should be left to the staff or anyone else to organize contests. In fact there have been studies that show when people are asked to be creative for a reward they do worst then if they were just doing it for themselves. The last forum contest did ok, but anyone who's been long enough can tell you they usually have a poor turn out. Everyone has there reasons, but I wouldn't be surprised if the contests discouraged people who tried and fail.

If you want to stir up activity, we could bring back the workshops (or was is called classrooms?). Help people help themselves. Problem is I think the people who usually lead discussions are tired of leading. Creating threads takes time and planning and being around to respond to them is a lot of responsibility. They also distract people from their own projects. Doing art and writing exercises are all good experience but they aren't any closer to completing their games. Unless the course was in sync with whatever they were working on.
Maybe that's what we should do. Create a weekly game development course. How to plan, write, design ect...

Or we could get rid of the "What are you working on?" thread in Design and Development. Encourage people to post in their own threads again and elaborate more on what they're working on. That's probably the biggest reason the forum seems dead. Instead of people creating individual threads we've created these tweeter threads where people just leave a vague comment. Places like the sketch thread and pixel WIPs, Places to quickly share stuff and not feel the need to elaborate or finish what you started but you get the satisfaction of posting something.

Top Top

Perihelion
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:37 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
We're aware of the lack of game-making activity and are taking steps to address it, but I don't want to say more about it at this time.

I think the point about the Twitter-esque threads is a good one. I actually hadn't really considered that. I don't follow the one in GDD, but everyone posts their art in the sketch thread and the pixel art WIPs thread instead of actually making their own threads. Maybe we should try closing them and see if people start making threads again. It seems like the vast majority of our activity is in these existing threads, though--and that goes for discussion as well with threads like pwoym, random shit you find on the Internet, etc.

Top Top

Venetia
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:05 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

I feel like, if you close them, people will just stop posting :/

Top Top

No ID
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:25 pm
Do I have to?
Sponsor

I liked when we had people randomly critique other peoples projects. I think the Canadian guy or whoever started it. Davester? Idk.

Top Top

Xilef
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:28 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

HBGames is going to be my base of operations when my project gets back under development, which is summer 2013, but yes, I am one of the old regulars who have grown up, stopped using RPG Maker and now has a job as a video game programmer.

Until then, my activity consists of flying visits. It's so tempting to just post up my entire story scenario and get lots of feedback on it, but at this stage it wouldn't build up any hype unless I have some screenshots of the engine working, and the engine is spread across 3-4 separate demo applications and 1.5GB of design documents, so I really have nothing to show until summer 2013.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:54 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Why this forum is dying: we've all been at University or other things.

How this is resolved: I finish University tomorrow.

Is any of this a problem: no.

Consider this resolved.

Top Top

Jason
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:55 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Wyatt wrote:
I finish University tomorrow.

Congratulations man! :toot:

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:59 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Since this thread exists I'm gonna make an announcement but it's a bit self centered. Meh whatever.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:35 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
As a side note,

falcao wrote:
I register to this forum on 2009 and i was wow! 500 registered users online and like 600 guests

Rose tinted glasses. This never happened, not in 2009. Our users-online stats have remained largely the same since then, besides a couple of spikes.

Top Top

falcao
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:15 pm

I like to read kind of reply on this topic.

Consider this resolved.

Be prepare for the future studying is a must that everybody does.

While we are surfing the web we are inside other world, this forum is a country, you are the government and im a citizen.

So i trying to said that this forum have to marry with others peoples to have some babies and grow as community, Rpg Maker based will be a great option, but as i said before is just my opinion.

Top Top

regi
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
raptor king
Sponsor

Let's just say we're taking into account all of your C&C and working on something super secret right now. shh! :mystery:

Top Top

Venetia
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:00 pm
venerable inertia
Staff

I don't think this site has seen a summer after 2006, where there hasn't been a thread just like this (asking why we're dying).

All I'm saying is, if we ARE dying, that's a REALLY long death scene.

regi wrote:
Let's just say we're taking into account all of your C&C and working on something super secret right now. shh! :mystery:

^

Should be happening before October or in early October, so keep your eyes peeled bros :)

Top Top

Mundane
  Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 pm
Kind of back...

Wyatt wrote:
Why this forum is dying: we've all been at University or other things.

Consider this resolved.

CELEBRATIONS! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:25 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
regi wrote:

I wanna help :!:

Top Top

9robin3
  Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:24 am
Robin Andblom

Party Mascot
Its too bad its dying *ANYWAY*...But I understand why, it makes sence:)

MY YOUTUBE

__________________________________________________________________________________________
GAMES IN PROGRESS:

Top Top

Mega Flare
  Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:39 am
What is your weapon of choice,
What's your weapon of choice
There is no weapon to free us all
Awesome Bro

we arent dying. its impossible that we die.... our grandchidren children will be coming here!

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:03 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
9robin3 wrote:

You realise we've had these threads once a year since 2004?

Top Top

9robin3
  Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 am
Robin Andblom

Party Mascot
oh god. No:((

then its worse now?

MY YOUTUBE

__________________________________________________________________________________________
GAMES IN PROGRESS:

Top Top

No ID
  Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 am
Do I have to?
Sponsor

Wyatt wrote:
9robin3 wrote:

You realise we've had these threads once a year since 2004?

this is so true. though i haven't been an official member that long (i don't think), I started lurking as a guest and stealing resources right about that time. every summer I see these post (which is obviously the slow season). game development activity is clearly down though. i used to love coming in and checking the screenshot thread to get me motivated to continue work on my own game (went from 5 new screenshot posters a day to maybe 1 a week). I think the vets should cater to the newbies more. Every new game thread should have at least 10 different posters in it. cuz all you guys are great with games and people mostly come here to be critique and tutored. right now you all are like bored kings posting just to show face. At least that's how it appears.

Top Top