Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Xilef
  Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:35 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

We're having loads of spammers who make single posts (Usually pretty good posts too) and then change their signature to advertise something and then they never return.

I propose that we have a 10-post activation on signatures, so a new user needs to have posted at least 10 times before they can use the signature feature.

Could even make it a higher number like 32 or 50 times.

Thoughts?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:31 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
They could always fake a signature

Top Top

Perihelion
  Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:06 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
Yeah I dunno, I'm tempted to just start banning them as soon as they post even if they haven't technically done anything wrong yet. This is ridiculous. I banned and deleted all of the ones who had changed their signatures.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:08 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Although, we could restrict them from creating a new topic in the first place. I mean, have a post requirement before having the privilege to start a new topic. That would also cut down on the number of people who signup to post their game in the completed games section who then never come back.
Maybe force people so show a little development in "what are you working on" or the screenshot topic. Or at least comment on other games first. After all, this is a game development forum.

Top Top

Xilef
  Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:41 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

No I think overly restricting posting is not the way to go about it as that would hurt legitimate new users, not having a signature is not exactly usage-breaking.

I'm for signatures that advertise relevant subjects like a game development tool or something that could be of actual use, but advertising holidays and car insurance on your first post is what I'm getting at, it's a real shame as some of the discussion topics are actually rather fruitful, just that it's ruined that the person's motive is to shove in a signature that is irrelevant spam.

Also, if they faked a signature in their post, then when it gets reported for spam the staff would see that it is post content and it makes it more definite that the user should be banned for posting spam rather than another kind of infraction over a signature.

Adding a minimum post count for signatures seems a bit easier than manually moderating new users too.

Top Top

Perihelion
  Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:48 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
The thing is that it's really obvious when it's a spammer, though. The posts are all inane in exactly the same way, and the names are similar, and they all post in the same forum. I'd be for adding a new feature, but we're planning on switching forum software soon anyway, so it might be more trouble than it's worth. If Wyatt or someone wants to mess with it, by all means go ahead, but it might be simpler to just deal with it manually.

Top Top

Xilef
  Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:46 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

First I heard of this software switch, I guess this thread will be pointless once that happens :U

Top Top

Perihelion
  Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:56 pm
Peril Hellion
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge
Well, I say soon, but who knows really. In theory, at least.

Top Top

Glitchfinder
  Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:18 pm
BEWARE: Glitchfinder's sense of humor sucks.
Staff

Party Mascot

Perihelion wrote:
Well, I say soon, but who knows really. In theory, at least.

I dunno about it being in theory, he kinda likes to keep to himself and all that, and I'm not sure he rolls that way. I personally can't wait to see what the new update ends up looking like, because all I've heard are tidbits.

Just call me Glitch.

Top Top