Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Amy
  Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:36 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Until we get a new homepage, I am thinking of adding this:

The screenshots are static, not drawn from the forums, and editable by staff. Not sure what to do about width. The way I have it set up right now is it's just a wide list of screenshots so small screens see only the first few, big screens seeing the rest. The smaller ones could scroll slowly with Javascript maybe, or change every now and then, I'm not sure.

Any other thoughts on how to temporarily improve the homepage?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:10 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Idk. But the picture messed with me a little. Here I am. Clicking on New Posts wondering what's going on.

Top Top

Stardust
  Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:09 pm
<3 Army of Love <3
Retired Staff

Sewer Rat

Princess Amy wrote:
or change every now and then

This would be cool! I've seen simple scripts that pull one image from a folder at random each time the page is loaded.

The other thing that would be nice is being able to see if we have new messages from the home page. Having the whole user strip (Logged in as: Guardian Stardust (Logout) User Panel - New Posts - My Posts - 0 new messages) on there would be kind of cool.

Top Top

Xilef
  Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:45 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I would like that, gives more focus to the broader community content

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:54 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Final Fantasy VIII on the homepage... eww. :box:

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:27 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
What do you think is the maximum width I should design it to look nice for? (Well, it'll look OK, just a little awkward as the screenshots will end)

I'm going to do what Guardian said and have it randomly generated and such, will make sense when it's done.

Top Top

Stardust
  Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:37 pm
<3 Army of Love <3
Retired Staff

Sewer Rat

If you want to try working with peoples' screen resolutions, you could resize the images to make them proportional. You might already be planning on doing this, but here are some examples anyways: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/787839/resize-image-proportionally-with-css

If you're looking for a set width, I usually try to aim for 800px wide (going by the 640x800, which few people probably have anymore, but it's a safe estimate). If you're looking for a maximum I'd say probably about 1200px would keep things looking decent without over-stretching the page or anything.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:30 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Finished (but not published) the presentation parts, all working; just gotta make the mod panel bit so mods can add screenshots to it, and then load it with some default screenshots.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:20 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I have now implemented this, but really need your comments, critique, feedback and suggestions. If there's something wrong with it I need to know (even saying this in six months time someone will tell me they've always hated it).

Top Top

Stardust
  Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:43 am
<3 Army of Love <3
Retired Staff

Sewer Rat

Something I've noticed is that, especially for pages with multiple threads, the post # link will bring you to the last page of the thread, not actually the page that the post is on. I.E. viewtopic.php?p=913969#p913969 <-- this post is actually on page 365, but it brings you to the last page (356) instead. I've noticed that, for the "New posts" feature, using it for Post What's On Your Mind usually doesn't bring me to the newest post, but instead the last page of the thread, so I think it's a general forum direction error. Clicking on the pictures from the new screenshots display is the first time it's become very apparent that it's an issue. Maybe it's just me, though. I have Windows 7 64-bit with Google Chrome. I tried it in IE and it did the same thing.

I like the concept and I think you executed it well. :) It feels better than how it was before. My only suggestion right now would be maybe adding a horizontal ruler or something to separate it from the posts beneath it. At the moment, it looks a little bit like it's supposed to be screenshots from the topmost thread. Having something like "Most Recent Resources and Projects" declaring what those topics are would be helpful, as well.

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:47 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Ah.

Unfortunately I worked out why that is but don't know how to fix it. It's because of a soft-delete mod we use, which deletes posts but allows them to be undeleted if a mistake was made; PWOYM for one has a LOT of deleted posts in it so the forum itself takes you to the wrong page. I'm not sure what I can do about it, although it won't be an issue if we do the forum switch we wanted to do.

Top Top

Stardust
  Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:22 am
<3 Army of Love <3
Retired Staff

Sewer Rat

Ah yes I remember that now! I imagine trying to fix that would be quite tedious! It's one of those little things that irks me, but it's far from a big deal, especially since you're considering switching forum software. :)

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:19 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
There is a lot of wasted space on the left and right hand side of the homepage, and the links don't really stand out much. I am thinking something like this:

But in boxes and where everything else is on the homepage.

Thoughts?

Maybe a big box in the top right hand side saying "Make a Game!" for people browsing through.

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:42 pm
very undead
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

I think the change to orange for button colour is good. I didn't realise there was a 'new posts' option on the homepage until someone pointed it out. I always look to the top corner for new posts and if its not there, I go forums -> new posts, so I think orange would help highlight it for people like me.

I like the idea of encouraging game making, so the 'Make a Game' box sounds great, even if it's not technically all that useful.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:47 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
It might sound daft but I got here via a website that looked like this:

http://afar.ws/makegames/

Well, I got to Left Leg Cafe, which got me to RMRK, which got me to RMXP.net. But still, my journey started on a Freewebs site called MAKERPGS, which looked like the link I just posted.

I think that, in order to catch the new game makers market that gets us new members, we could link "make a game" to that page or something like it.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:48 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
It is done.

Top Top

Sated
  Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:27 am
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle

Generic Townsperson

I'm liking all the changes. The homepage was a bit cluttered/busy before. This simplifies things a lot.

My Twitter is here: @Sated86

Top Top