Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Xilef
  Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:45 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I've been staring at the career post I made ages ago that a certain fantastic person turned into it's own thread [hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77553] and now I'm considering making a larger thread, stickied at the top of the Game Development forum, where career requisites and game job hunting can be discussed.

My idea in it's current form would consist of a single thread with the first post having a small index page where you can scan if your job idea is mentioned (Eg; Art, programmer, designerlol) and then you scroll down to the section and it lists suggested degree courses, areas of a portfolio to work on, job search websites or articles about the specific job.

After that, the rest of the thread would become a "game job discussion" like pwoym but job oriented, so people would ask where to begin with job X and if it's not listed, then we can all do some research, edit the first post and shove job X into it, if someone here who has job X wants to give advice then they can, etc, etc.

So that's my idea.

Anyone want to add to this?

Top Top

Amy
  Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:17 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
That sounds like it could be a really useful thread to a lot of people. I'd go for it.

Top Top

Xilef
  Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:46 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I haven't done it yet because the alternative is create sticky threads for each forum section dedicated to careers of that section, I am unsure if that is a better idea than having a single thread, on top of that perhaps even a forum category.

I'm guessing you're with me on the idea of a single thread?

Top Top

Injury
  Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:59 pm
Ṱ̻̘o҉̸̴̮̬͉o̹̬̰ M̠͍͍͡a̧̺ǹ͍̝y̢̞̮̯ C̳͚͇̻̬͝o̴̡̲̼͕ͅo̶̢̧̠̫̹̳̬̣̭k̶̻̫̯s̴̰͖̭̟̱̯̀͜

Generic Townsperson
In a way, different sticky threads for each section would make for a less convoluted single thread with a myriad of career choices. Either way, I think this is a great idea!

Top Top

Xilef
  Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:29 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Injury wrote:
In a way, different sticky threads for each section would make for a less convoluted single thread with a myriad of career choices. Either way, I think this is a great idea!

But my worry is spreading the info thin, many small threads perhaps wouldn't get the attention that a single larger thread would and people's posts would end up not getting noticed.

Top Top