Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Xilef
  Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:07 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I saw a system on a phpbb board where users could earn items to be displayed under their avatar, I'm thinking a similar system would be cool but for badges.

So we could create a load of badges in a resource thread and if they're good add them to the pool, then people could spend their forum exp on badges or get given badges for achieving something like 1 year old forum account or posted a completed game/concept.

The final piece would be being allowed to select which badge is shown via the profile, so a list box has all the badges the account has earned and the user may select from no-badge shown to whatever badge they want.

Anyone want to build on this idea? Adds an incentive to forum exp in my eyes.

Edit: perhaps a joint exp + currency system where exp is gained in relevant forums and a gold piece is given for any post, spend exp probably isn't a cool idea now that I look at it.

Aww hell I'm now getting ideas for an RPG game built into the forum itself

Top Top

HiPoyion
  Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:15 pm
S Q U E E Z Y T R I G G E R
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Xilef wrote:
Aww hell I'm now getting ideas for an RPG game built into the forum itself

This line struck me actually.
It gave me this idea:
Each member has a character, and when the member levels up they can add stats to their character. They can spend EXP on buying equipment for their character or for badges. Maybe the more badges the member has, the more effects or spells the character has or something.
Perhaps we could do a random encounters thing, or we could make(/use) something like Amys Afar, but tie it in more with forum based stuff. (Of course if Amy is okay with us doing something like that.)

I'm not sure how most would feel about essentially gamifying the forums in such a way, and there is also a possibility that this sorta thing could lead away from productivity. But if we keep the currency/levelling tied to posting on the forum (Actual productive posting) I think this could work nicely.
To be a stronger character, you must be a productive member of the forum.

Hell I know I'd give a lot more feedback if I had a short term reward for it :3

I think it could be a fairly subtle thing to add too!

Oh, also player v player battles or soemthing

Top Top

Injury
  Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:34 pm
Ṱ̻̘o҉̸̴̮̬͉o̹̬̰ M̠͍͍͡a̧̺ǹ͍̝y̢̞̮̯ C̳͚͇̻̬͝o̴̡̲̼͕ͅo̶̢̧̠̫̹̳̬̣̭k̶̻̫̯s̴̰͖̭̟̱̯̀͜

Generic Townsperson
I'm down with the basic idea...

Posts = gold
EXP = Level

Based on the level, people can get certain badges whereas some badges are inherit to time served in the forum IE I would get a bronze member badge for each year until the fifth year, where it would become silver...etc etc.

I like it! You need to set a template for the badges so people know what their limitations are. I'm down with trying to make some cool badges!

Top Top

Jason
  Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:54 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
But if posts are equal to gold, then surely we'd have people spamming random posts for the sake of it, just so they could buy a badge?

Top Top

HiPoyion
  Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:24 pm
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Jason wrote:
But if posts are equal to gold, then surely we'd have people spamming random posts for the sake of it, just so they could buy a badge?

HiPotion wrote:
if we keep the currency/levelling tied to posting on the forum (Actual productive posting) I think this could work nicely.

Firstly, the algorithms and actual mods (admins I guess since we have no mods) generally keep the spam down. It's rare that spam comes, and when it does it's removed fairly quickly.
We could have punishments for spammy posts in the productive forums. Like rather than + 1 gold for the post, maybe - 1.
Or just remove the 1 gold they got from the post in the first place.

We know your views on spammy posts in the productive areas, but in all honesty, if people post stuff in those places, they hope to get a response, and while the occasional spam isn't too bad, if we see shit like:
ShitFace101 wrote:
i fink u gaiz r ghey.

ShitFace101 wrote:
alzo ur sprt suks d00d.

ShitFace101 wrote:
nd i fukt ur mom lazt nite

in productive forums, they're either being a massive asshat, or trying to spam for gold.

Personally, I feel that these forums should be kept productive, and while the occasional spam is totally cool, (Like "You guys are Gay" or "This sprite is bad") when it becomes a problem like ShitFace101, we'd do something about it.

Top Top

Xilef
  Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:26 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

We can do it with a looting system so each forum category has a pool of "items" that you have a chance of getting after each post in the category, within the pool the gold value of the items vary + the items change in value depending on how common they are among all the users.

So if I post in General Discussion I receive a Sack of Shit which is worth 2 gold and the forum rolls a random number that says how many more posts I need to make for my next item, that way it's kept pseudo random and unpredictable.

If I post in Games in Development the pool of items are more valuable so I'd get a Rusty Spoon that's worth 30 gold or a Fancy Chair worth 50 gold, I then sell this stuff, buy a lovely Badge that has a gold dragon on it with a bag of Fox's Glacier mints in it's claws and show off how cool my profile looks.

EDIT: Issuing fines for post infractions would be a good idea, -100 gold for posting content that does not help with the post, you could potentially start off this "game" in debt to the forum.

The Exp and Level system can be a way of influencing what value item you get out of the random pool too, so those who have a history of contributing good posts may get the better items in a pool no-matter what forum they post in.

EDIT2: Donate £15 to the forum, get given 1500 gold!

Top Top

Injury
  Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:48 pm

Generic Townsperson
^^YES!

So badges based off forum, availability of certain badges based on level and price will vary based on the chosen forums/level of badge.

Items based on forum, price based on level, and importance of forum.

Penalties for shit posts and donations can buy you gold.

Now...Trading badges, gold, markets and gambling gold on poll questions, game related trivia for small gold rewards...uhm the eZine could have a monthly mini-contest, like we had the mapping or graphics music design, winner gets X ammount of gold and a small feature/blip in the eZine.

Lots of ideas.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:31 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
We actually do have a custom badge system, and sponsors AFAIK are able to change their badge. But I'm happy to get RID of that and have it a system like you propose.

If you guys can work out an algorithm for gold that's significantly different to the EXP algorithms, that'd be great. Can't pay with EXP as that would mean being able to go down in level and basically it'd be too awkward with the current system. I like the idea of gold so long as it's not just based on post count.

Also, to deter cheats and spammers, I will implement a feature where you can be BANNED from gaining EXP and/or gold; if you're banned you don't show in any leaderboards and you don't even get an EXP bar under your name!

Top Top

Xilef
  Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:48 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Here's my proposal for checking if a reward (Gold, item, whatever) needs to be given to a user.

Excuse the C
Expand to see the code.

GiveRewardForForum( userId, forumId ); would give gold/item to userId based on the forumId, so General Discussion would give less gold/worse item compared to a project development forum.

In practise; every 5 to 15 posts will result in a reward, obviously these numbers should be tweaked to something better (Every 10 to 30?)

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:20 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Totally doable. I have quite a lot from Afar that could be implemented in such a system too.

Top Top

Xilef
  Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:47 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Expanding on this forum integrated RPG idea, if items were awarded and not gold then some of the items could be equipped to a doll that everyone has, so they can either keep the item for their doll or sell it for gold which goes towards a collection of forum Badges or perhaps better items for your doll.

I guess that's going a stretch too far though :U

Decided to brush up on spriting and do this test of where the dolls could be displayed (I tried to make an amy pond wig which I guess would be an item and vest+pants so you don't start off with a bare doll);

I suppose I'm turning the simple idea of awarding users with badges into something a bit too complex :U

Top Top

Injury
  Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:20 pm

Generic Townsperson
Wow. This might be going a stretch on that idea Xi, but maybe it will be like a avatar. Buy a hat for x gold. Throw it on your avatar...Pimpin' and lockin'

Exclusive contest swag, hats, party hats, whatever

yo yos and skateboard yo

Top Top

Xilef
  Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:01 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I wouldn't want to replace the current avatar system, however skateboards and yoyos would work well on that doll template I made...

Edit; might be a good excuse to get people spriting if their practice sprites could go into an item pool for forum users to have.

I'm now thinking replace the badge system with backgrounds for the dolls to stand in...where is this idea going :x

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:44 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I love this idea because it's something that could be done by the whole community, like when we made the forums blue but on a larger scale. Everyone gets their work in.

It's also, as a forum RPG, game development, which is great.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:47 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Expanding (or possibly shitting) on Xilef's ideas:

I'd get rid of user badges if we're to have this much in the mini profile as it can look cluttered. Instead staff could have maybe a crown next to their name or something less elitist, and awesome bro, sponsor, etc could be demonstrated in some other way.

Top Top

Xilef
  Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:21 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Did some testing around GIMP with the idea of combining the XP bar with the badge, doesn't work so well, I think keep the badges so members know who Staff are easily, losing that would probably not be helpful.

Combine the exp bar with the doll and remove the points icon?

These are my takes;
ImageImage

But change the doll's shadow to something that matches the XP bar somewhat.

Top Top

Injury
  Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:08 am

Generic Townsperson
I meant the avatars like the dolls would have the gear on...If you want, separate the badges and the dolls. Badges could appear to the right of the <td class="cat2" ... /> tag

Top Top

HiPoyion
  Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:59 pm
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

This is all looking pretty sweet.
As for the badges, you could totally have some badges by your username!
I'd do a preview, however I'm at work...

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:45 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Possible ideas.

Top Top

Jason
  Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:08 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
What about the little circle that shows when the person is online/offline though?

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:09 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Could go somewhere else, idk, tbh I've never used or noticed them, wasn't sure if anyone else did.

Top Top

Xilef
  Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:09 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I use it, maybe put it directly under the user's avatar as text;
"Online Now" or something

Top Top

Jumping Jack Flash
  Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:48 pm

L1 Slime
Just more clutter.

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:24 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
How about this for online/offline.

Or, keeping the old colours:

Top Top

Xilef
  Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:06 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Try grey for offline orange for online, like our new topic and reply buttons

Top Top

Injury
  Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:27 pm

Generic Townsperson
Princess Amy wrote:
Possible ideas.

I really like this, along with the corner online/offline indicator

if we can get a working avatar system going

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:50 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Orange makes more sense, yeah.

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:03 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Been having some thoughts, if we go through with this.

Application

All processing, images, etc, would be on my server not HBGames, just in case it slowed things down.

Instead of layering things on top of each other like in Afar, the avatar dolls would be generated each time they are changed, which would be infrequent, so each person's doll would just be one image.

Gold

I quite like an idea that nobody would ever know how gold is earned. They'd have an inkling, and there'd be much speculation and discussion, but I would come up with an algorithm/algorithms, apply them, and the minute anyone came close to uncovering them I'd change them.

One thing is for sure - you would NOT get gold for activity in the Rec Room.

Sprites

We'd have a community drive to create sprites, anybody being able to.

But. We're a game making community with a resources board. I'd set some requirements that your work would also have to be posted as a resource for people to use in their games. As such, the doll base we use should also be publicly available. That way not only do we get kit for the dolls, but we provide others with potentially useful game making resources.

We'd also need SOME kind of screening process. Not to stop well-meaning but poor artists, as that's different, but to stop art with no effort put in, or blatant joke pieces.

Top Top

Xilef
  Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:18 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I was just thinking a thread in Artwork and Creativity where people make sprites for the dolls and ask for feedback then we help them make it perfect and then all agree it should be added as a piece.

With how the dolls work, you could make their arrangement client-side by using canvas for rendering, that way they'd just download the pieces from your server and their browser can do the image caching like normal.

Top Top

Jason
  Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:34 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
What is the sprite base going to look like? Because no offence to you Xilef, but I'm not really a fan of the one you've made, it seems too... can't think of a proper word, so I'm gonna' say poncy, lol, like a gay guy that's just sprung out of the closet screaming "I'm fabulous!" or something, lol.

... It's put me in the mood to do a little spriting actually, lol.

Top Top