Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Amy
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:25 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Is there anything in your day to day lives on HBGames that would be improved by a little tweak, a modification, or us doing something a little differently? How could we better accomodate you?

(Even little things like "it would be nice is x feature was a little more readable/findable").

Top Top

Jason
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:34 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
*It would be nice if Hybrida was banned... or better yet, not banned but not able to post, so he can still read the stuff we say about him :thumb:

On a more serious note, is there a way we could change the overall font and font size of the forums from our control panels at all? I know Arial is easy enough to read and stuff, but over the last few years, as a side effect of my seizures (Or so my doctor tells me), I've been getting headaches more frequently from reading small text, and whenever I've been writing things in Word, I've been using a slightly larger font size, and switching from Arial to Calibri, it's a minor change, but seems to put less stress on my eyes... of course, this is only from looking at walls upon walls of text and not single forum posts and stuff... was just wonder if it would ever be an option, or if it already is and I just don't know, lol

*Only saying because I'm about 92.7% sure I'm right in assuming what he said is the reason you've made this thread

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:35 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I can definitely do that. I'll add it to my to do list.

And yeah Hybrida made me think maybe I should do something around here for once.

Top Top

Jason
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:36 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Much appreciated, cheers :cheers:

... And what do you mean for once? You're always doing things around here... don't let him get to you, you know he's just a prick that has nothing better to do, you're better than this! :thumb:

Top Top

Xhukari
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:09 am

Generic Townsperson
I can't think of any changes. :)
Good forum is good.

Top Top

Hybrida
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:22 am
••••••• Ultra Ego Maniac •••••••

Party Mascot

It's gonna get very dull without me here. I can guarantee that.

As for fixing this place. I dunno. It's all about volume and traffic to me. I don't think it can be fixed, so I'm departing officially January 1st, 2017.

I'm experimenting with something called 'Unity'. I wanna make games using that engine or system. However, good luck Amy.

Top Top

Jason
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:23 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Would be nice if you do actually leave for good... just sayin', maybe you could even request a ban to stop yourself ever coming back? That'd be even better!

Top Top

Hybrida
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:08 am

Party Mascot

You should stop teasing me already. What you're doing right now is why I'm so passive aggressive to everyone here, and to people never talked to... Doing that gives me a natural hostility towards everyone. Understand?

Your brain works something like this: "I Really enjoy messing with this dude, it's entertaining. If he's banned that will give me security. So I'll go for that so I can feel better about my pathetic life."

You're very transparent, Jason. Your plan won't work. I don't want you to feel secure. Obviously.

This thread is already a waste of time, and 7 years too late. Logically. The effort is highly appreciated. That counts for a lot. :heart:

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:19 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
You don't get to post in this thread if it's with a negative attitude or to argue. I am personally offering my time here.

Top Top

Jason
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:20 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
I don't really think you have the right to tell me how my brain works, especially considering you've gotten it all wrong, I give zero fucks about security, you can do or say anything you like about me, feel free, it won't do anything except give you a boner because you can pretend to be some almighty God online... what I actually want is for you to go away because it's not fair on people such as Amy, people who actually put hard work and effort into the site, trying to keep it running (Mainly just Amy, but still), and you just sit there mocking everything that's being done to try and improve the community... I'm not saying any of this for my sake, but for others, because you are mentally fucked and think it's fun to degrade people who actually want to do something productive... in short, this is nothing to do with security, you just simply don't belong here, and I, along with many other uses, would appreciate it if you could just leave and not come back, preferably sooner rather than later.

Anyway, this isn't the thread to talk about this, it's how to improve the forums, so if you want to carry on pretending to be king of your fictional world, feel free to do so in the proper thread.

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:24 am
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Maybe some community project? We're all creatives, I'm sure.

But I dunno.

Top Top

Xilef
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:47 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I discussed over on RMMV.co how a community RM game should be handled and the problems that prior community RM games had. I wonder if that would be a good idea again. My thoughts are basically a github open-source MV game that has an online multiplayer component to reflect its community origins and not turn it into a story-focused epic adventure but make it a little public MV project to tweak and improve upon.

Maybe a bit like net-hack.

Would require someone actually coming up with an idea and building the foundations of the game and then becoming the project maintainer and then a load of writing about how to clone the project, make changes and then submit pull requests. And would also require hosting as web deployment is probably the better idea for that sort of MV project.

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:57 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I think one that had plugins would work best. Because then you don't have to worry about who has it out for editing. You.might make maps for it, or NPCs, etc.

Top Top

Xilef
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:24 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Princess Amy wrote:
I think one that had plugins would work best. Because then you don't have to worry about who has it out for editing. You.might make maps for it, or NPCs, etc.

That's why I think a git hosted project would work out. I'm pretty sure MV stores its content quite plainly (isn't it all json?), so even complex things like maps and databases can be contributed by multiple people and get merged together.

Have it under the HBGames.org branding with HBGames.org as the host for the working project. Can probably set up a system that deploys the git project into a working web hosted MV game automagically, so no-one needs to actively keep it up to date with the latest version.

The idea of a community project isn't along the lines of improvements for the forum, but I think an open-source RPG is something that could get a lot of people interested in and around the community. Would take some work to get it started and I'm pretty sure everyone here have their own projects on the go right now.

Top Top

Hybrida
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:38 am

Party Mascot

Princess Amy wrote:
You don't get to post in this thread if it's with a negative attitude or to argue. I am personally offering my time here.

*Sigh* You rather dance around the real problem.
How dare I be negative when someone is allowed to continually take jabs at me. Silly me.

Do you see the problem yet Amy? Do understand what just happened in this thread?

On normal forum site this is what happens next:
"Okay Jason leave Hybrida alone. Hybrida leave Jason alone. Anymore nonsense and I'm passing out warnings."

This is called moderating, and De-escalation of a situation. That's non existent here. I'm sure you know the consequences of that. Imagine America or the UK with no laws.

But here at HBG this happens:
"We're only gonna focus on your actions, and punish you only. Outraged will only be directed against you, because we know that other dude. We're closer to him so we'll ignore his actions."

This mistake was made with that barcode dude. I'm sure you remember how that ended. "We know him well let him get away with it..." BAM!!

Resolving problem between members would improve the experience greatly. I saw too many good members rage quit, only for you guys to mock them in the REC room. What the hell kind of behavior is that?! This isn't just about me. I'm speaking for all of them right now.

I wont post anymore in this thread out of respect. I've said what I needed to say. Put the obvious bias aside and just think about it for a little while, if you're so serious about improving things.

In all seriousness, good luck Amy.

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:47 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I'd ask you this then: when is the last time you were punished in any way?

And when is the last time we even had a rage quit? 2009?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:25 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I was thinking about making new Topic Icons. Just because we have PS3 and no PS4, that's going to feel out of dated real soon.
If there are any requests, I'll make them.

Oh, I know. How about one for Steam?

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:40 am
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

DO IT COYOTECRAFT!

Top Top

Hybrida
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:48 am

Party Mascot

Princess Amy wrote:

Exactly. Lawless peace doesn't work with everyone. This is the lesson. I'm %100 positive it would have just been me being punish as always. You gotta be Fair. That's the problem. I highly doubt fairness can happen. It's why we're lawless currently... Not wanting to deal with the problem could be a factor as well. I dunno.

However, the focus of consequences is always directed at me alone, never those who escalate the problems. Nothing ever happens to them. A desolate location called save-point did a similar scenario to me, and they suffered for it. Still to this day I dunno who avenged me, but I surely enjoyed it. Karma?

Quote:

Insufficient data, but I'm sure it's around 2013 according to some sources I won't reveal. It's an estimate, but surely beyond 2009. Some rage quits can actually happen silently... Some people were actually smart enough not to give you guys what wanted. An explosive exit.

If this place ever becomes extremely popular again, just be fair to everyone. Don't exclude people from punishment just because you know them. That is called corruption. Dont have field day roasting a person after they leave. Again, good luck.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:42 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image

I tried not going straight black and white.
Edit: More blue options
Edit2: Maybe I should just do the PS logo and not worry about if it's 3, 4, PSP, Vita. It's hard to predict what people might want to talk about, if anything at all. Maybe we should go more square icons...
Edit3: Mobile? Android and iPhone separately?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:37 am
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
I'm afraid Icon area will get too crowded. So I wonder if we should retire some to make room. Or add Category Tabs.
Something like this, but not like this

Top Top

Xilef
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:17 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

coyotecraft wrote:

These are my favourite. The rounded glass for the last two PS4 options are very early 00s in style and I'm not a fan of lacking colour.
The Steam could with with colour. I think I'd add in the icon gradient from lower left to upper right #146e9e to #061939 (additively blended on a layer above).

I think merging the icons would be best. Replace Wii with Nintendo, Xbox360 with Xbox, PS3 with PS.

Actually now that I look at them there's a lot that could be done with the post icons. Maybe we should get them all in-line with a single design pattern and remove ones that don't fit with the new style.

Post Icon Ideas

^- All that's less of a tweak and more of a day's work and I'm not sure how appreciated it would even be; would be a tidying up chore.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:40 pm
Sponsor

Omnipresent Merchant
Like this? Image

I'm ok with merging console icons for space. But I think we should keep the older engine icons around for posterity, since they're being used somewhere. Although, I'd be willing to give them a new look.

edit: few more
Image Image

I could be crazy. But we must have had a Nintendo Icon like this before the Wii, right?

Edit2: Bam
Image Image

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:41 pm
Riding High above the world, ascended and pure.

Competent Minion

Hybrida wrote:
Princess Amy wrote:

Exactly. Lawless peace doesn't work with everyone. This is the lesson. I'm %100 positive it would have just been me being punish as always. You gotta be Fair. That's the problem. I highly doubt fairness can happen. It's why we're lawless currently... Not wanting to deal with the problem could be a factor as well. I dunno.

However, the focus of consequences is always directed at me alone, never those who escalate the problems. Nothing ever happens to them. A desolate location called save-point did a similar scenario to me, and they suffered for it. Still to this day I dunno who avenged me, but I surely enjoyed it. Karma?

Quote:

Insufficient data, but I'm sure it's around 2013 according to some sources I won't reveal. It's an estimate, but surely beyond 2009. Some rage quits can actually happen silently... Some people were actually smart enough not to give you guys what wanted. An explosive exit.

If this place ever becomes extremely popular again, just be fair to everyone. Don't exclude people from punishment just because you know them. That is called corruption. Dont have field day roasting a person after they leave. Again, good luck.
Lol you need to get over this self-victimization you're doing, I'm newer to the site than you are and a lot of people don't exactly have a high regard of me, I just don't say stupid shit very often, and I'm open to feedback. You take almost everything people say as an offence, which is why punishing people for offending you (which is really easy to do from my limited experience) has been so often neglected.

If we banned everyone just because they managed to offend you pretty much only Strawberri and Spoo would even be here, still.

I've been harassed (though not intent-fully maliciously) like you take people do to you, but I just spit it back and let people know it ain't gonna really get to me.

I've also had Hi Poyion and Jason call me out for being rude, which was fair enough, because I was being rude.

And wow! Our last rage-quit was over three years ago??

They have those on RMN basically weekly. I think we'll be fine.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:07 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
There's also the fact that a lot of us are British - most of us, actually - and Brits tend to have a tongue in cheek, self deprecating, pokey sense of humour that doesn't translate well into other audiences. I mean, when an American or Canadian introduces their friend they probably wouldn't introduce them as a right cunt.

I'd say that's patronising or demeaning to Americans but I don't mean it that way; there's somewhat of a culture clash that makes programs like Ellen unwatchable. Even worse when it's in text though as you don't get any nuances, irony, sarcasm, or little tiny inflections that one might think in their head when typing stuff.

Like "I didn't mean that." Could sound angry. Could sound plain. Could sound jokey and sarcastic.

I've always said the rules here could be simplified to Don't Be a Dick. If you're posting stuff to engage in conversation, that's fine. If you're posting to be a dick you're doing it wrong. And I think that we're a group of friends, even when new friends join us, so instead of dishing out warnings and bans and time in the brig, a friendly "hey can you not do that? thanks" can and does help.

Also you don't see anything that goes on outside of the forums. I don't find it particularly useful to attack people in public. I have a few times asked folk to tone it down here when talking to them outside of the forums. Although granted that was probably some years ago when this place was active enough to require such moderation. Also remember that you don't see warnings (I don't think, anyway); I know that Jason definitely has warnings on his profile and he's always acted courteously when given them.

When we had rage quits we (the site) were legitimately being dicks to people and it's not something I'm proud of.

I'd also say, to a few people around the site who feel like there is some kind of hostility against them, there probably isn't. Don't read too much into anything. I think everyone here is swell and I think everyone here thinks everyone is swell too.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:11 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Topic icons: while I'm not going to hard code categories because it'd take too long for something so small, it'd be easy enough to say something like "add a line break after x icon and put a category name in" so that it looks like there's categories.

Top Top

Xilef
  Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:15 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Princess Amy wrote:
when an American or Canadian introduces their friend they probably wouldn't introduce them as a right cunt.

That particular word as an associate banter term is more of an Australian thing than a British thing. Here it's more likely we'd introduce our best friend as a "right dick-head" than anything else.

Anything to split up the topic icons would be great as they're just a soup at the moment.

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:15 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Man, not a single new game on the homepage has a game logo. I guess I didn't advertise it enough. I'll make some for them until the creators send me better.

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:37 pm
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

BizarreMonkey wrote:
If we banned everyone just because they managed to offend you pretty much only Strawberri and Spoo would even be here, still.

And what a boring place that would be lol

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:39 pm
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

I'm kind of used to Brits and their sarcasm. Also, I can be darn right sarcastic myself. :D

How could we improve your HBGames Experience

LOVE

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Top Top