Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

action
  Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:54 am

or Ruby Studio (It's both, really - Ruby's the language, RGSS is a library with methods for game making :P)
VB.net
UPDATED 2010/3/24
Overview
Before I knew RMXP, I used RPG Toolkit. In that program, every event was scripted, so beginners had a hard time starting their game. But a special program was released to help eventing in RPGcode. This tool was a powerful, non-visual studio for scripting, with every possible modifier or ect. On the side was things like if, def, class, and so on (not really, but you get the idea), and layouts were given to make scripting something simple such as a new message easier.
That's what I plan to do with RGSS. I know I can't make something that does all the work for you, or automatically generates everything, but I aim to make something that will somewhat simpify the steps to a good script.

So far
red = no progress, blue = working on, green = done

Layout 99% [ small bugs ]
Syntax Highlighting 50% [ some major bugs to fix ]
Line Numbering 100%
Intellisense 0%
Inserts (sidebar) 30% [ know how, just need to do it ]
Saving to file / Opening 0%
Options 0%
Basic Editing Functions 100%
Find and Replace 100%

Screenshots
current version, 0.2[img

Demo
Platform demo:
[ EXE Build ]

[ Source Files ]

Please report any bugs or issues you have while using the program.

Known bugs:
- issues with parsing pasted contents
- listbox does no dock properly
- class, if, def, and module titles and arguments are highlighted blue
- 'end' is not highilighted
- Cannot delete marks

Support RGSS Studio:

Use this picture: http://bb.afar.ws/upload/rsuserbar.png
And link to this topic: http://bb.afar.ws/upload/rsuserbar.png

Thanks to:
formlesstree4
ulqiorra (who can even spell his name?)

-abreaction

Last edited by action on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:28 am, edited 15 times in total.

Top Top

Sgt. Cookie
  Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:02 pm
I'm back. And this time, I mean it!
Sponsor

Well hope it works looks like it could help a lot with beginners.

I now play D&D 3.5. It's fun!

Top Top

JoshieBoy
  Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:31 pm

It will help everybody. As far as I am concerned all of the great scripters that really help out the community have left. I think Atoa is the last one we have. If someone or something can help me with scripting, by all means, bring it on. :box:

Top Top

Ulqiorra
  Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me... I used to use toolkit myself, and never really enjoyed RPGcode very much...

@joshua: Ahem, all the good and/or helpful scripters are gone? I check the RGSS Support forum regularly, and I am a fairly good scripter...

Top Top

Sgt. Cookie
  Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:06 pm
Sponsor

joshuaalanhargreaves wrote:
As far as I am concerned all of the great scripters that really help out the community have left.

Technically we still have kain nobel. He's just
Quote:
Too busy for rgss right now

Top Top

JoshieBoy
  Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:36 pm

Exactly, so he is still temporarily gone. It still proves my point.

Top Top

Sgt. Cookie
  Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:44 pm
Sponsor

Yes but he hasn't "Left" He's just too busy so it does not prove your point as he is still a part of the community just not the scripting part. So before you use this against me the summary is: Kain Nobel has not left.

Top Top

JoshieBoy
  Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:18 am

I refuse to argue with a 15 year old. The Fact is: Kain Nobel, Sephirothspawn, Dervvulfman, Behemoth, etc. are all gone. Temporary or not. Dargor is starting to show a little sign of life, that is extraordinary, What I am pointing out is that this program will help other people create scripts that are genius. If the president was temporarily gone, we wouldn't mark him as here, just as if you were absent from your 9th grade class the teacher would not mark you as present. Abreaction deserves encouragement and you are discouraging him. End of discussion.

Top Top

Sgt. Cookie
  Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:31 pm
Sponsor

Abreaction, apologies if you feel discouraged. That is not my intention. Good luck on the scripting tool.

Joshua, You are making the statement that Kain Nobel has gone. He has not he has just stopped scripting for the moment. If you weren't so stubborn you would find one of his posts and check when he was last on. Which was in fact:
Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:38 am. So is Kain gone? No. Has he stopped scripting? Yes. So that is my statement that has been proven by evidence. Your statement has not been proven by evidence. Thus my point is made.

Top Top

Ulqiorra
  Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:23 pm

And I'm one of the best regularly active scripters you've got so deal.

And technically you're both wrong. Behemoth and Seph still script, but they don't have time to do it on a regular basis, and they definitely don't have time to do it for other people on a regular basis. They have lives, and demanding ones at that. They are scripters, yet they aren't. End of discussion.

Anyway, abreaction, how soon is "REALLY SOON"? And also, I have a couple questions about features and such.

Is this going to be something like a window/scene creator? Or is it going to be a general purpose scripting tool?

Like will it have you add windows and resize them, add content to them and such? or it will it be a tool that will help with code-cleansing and debugging?

What I mean by code-cleansing is basically just making the code cleaner. Like this:

if @whatever
do_whatever
end

is much better as:

do_whatever if @whatever

Top Top

JoshieBoy
  Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:12 pm

Ulqiorra wrote:
And I'm one of the best regularly active scripters you've got so deal.

And technically you're both wrong. Behemoth and Seph still script, but they don't have time to do it on a regular basis, and they definitely don't have time to do it for other people on a regular basis. They have lives, and demanding ones at that. They are scripters, yet they aren't. End of discussion.

That's a big claim. And yet I have no idea who you are. You sound like a man I can take to, but I will say this. If you are who you say you are then thank you very much for doing what you do, but your pride will get in the way of bettering yourself. I am concerned with THIS community. Sephirothspawn and Behemoth are apart of another community.

Sephirothspawn: http://www.owainc.net/index.php

Behemoth: http://www.gngamedev.com

Yoo should try Behemoth's new game called "Edge" By the way. It is really good. Now, where would someone like yourself suggest I start if I wanna learn RGSS2 properly? And I have already messed with the default scripts. I know a little bit.

Top Top

Ulqiorra
  Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:21 pm

Hmm, you are correct. Is it a big claim, and i am a bit arrogant. But I do believe I can live up to my claim.

To learn RGSS2? I'll tell you how I learned. I studied other peoples' scripts and tried to edit them to my liking, I tried creating my own scripts based around others' methods. Everything I did was pure trial and error. And another little hint, the help file is a very helpful scripting resource ;)

I just noticed though, that abreaction hasn't posted again on this thread since he started it. I sincerely hope we haven't discouraged him from his project, and that he'll answer my questions soon.

Top Top

Zeriab
  Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:54 pm
Hugging Lion
Sponsor

Come on people, don't side track the topic so much.
As interesting as the current status of established and respected scripters in the community may be it's not that relevant to the topic so please stay on track.

@abreaction: What is the status with the project? Have you dropped it?

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Top Top

Ulqiorra
  Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:03 am

Well, yeah, of course it is.

And that's what i was asking, abreaction, did you decide you didn't wanna do this?

And, have you already made the syntax highlighting control?

Top Top

action
  Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:12 am

Whoa
wow, I thought this topic was dead months ago @.@

Well, here we go...
Quote:
Anyway, abreaction, how soon is "REALLY SOON"? And also, I have a couple questions about features and such.

I'm sorry - I meant to upload the source a day after I posted this. Never got around to it though.
But you can ask away!

Quote:
Is this going to be something like a window/scene creator? Or is it going to be a general purpose scripting tool?

General purpose scripting tool. I don't see how a window/scene creator is possible, unless you just mean putting some windows together for a scene, or adding some general objects to a window. An in-depth generator isn't possible
Quote:
or it will it be a tool that will help with code-cleansing and debugging?

Quote:
And, have you already made the syntax highlighting control?

To be honest, I'm not a spectacular coder. I can't really do alot with the real stuff - it's really just scraping the surface. I'm trying to get in depth, but some of this stuff I don't know how to do.
But the "finding and replacing"/"finding and coloring" thing is, sadly, out of my league currently. If I was shown how it's done, on the other hand...

Quote:
And that's what i was asking, abreaction, did you decide you didn't wanna do this?

Quote:
@abreaction: What is the status with the project? Have you dropped it?

^^; I haven't touched it recently... Tried converting it to C# to have a bit more control, didn't work, so I'm starting over. I've been rather caught up in my game recently, but now, during my break away from the RM scene, I did a thing or two with coding.
I'm currently exploring to world of custom controls :D

But yea, any support, help or something with this project would be nice.

I'll start it up again for you guys :)

-abreaction

EDIT: Figured out syntax, with Regex

Top Top

Ulqiorra
  Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Good Job :thumb:

Also, did you say you're remaking it in C#, or you're starting over in VB?

Top Top

action
  Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:04 am

A C# WPF, but I'm not sure how long that'll hold up. I can't use the method of syntax highlighting any more... and to change the color of text between " " s will be hard.

Top Top

Ulqiorra
  Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:18 pm

Yeah, I like VB, and I have a user control for syntax highlighting text areas, it's very nice.

Top Top

action
  Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:36 am

I could most likely translate it to C#, if it is easy enough - if not, there are many VB→C# translators, and I'm sure I can find a good, free one, as I did so for many other projects of mine.
If you could PM me or submit the script here, that would be great.

Thanks,
-abreaction

Top Top

Ulqiorra
  Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:53 am

No prob, maybe tomorrow if I'm not sitting in the Emergency Room >.>

Top Top

action
  Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks (Oi, really? Why?)
WPF is turning out to be a bit of a problem... I might just return to C# alone, else I'll find the C# richtextbox control. The WPF one doesn't have things like SelectionColor, or SelectionFont, and SelectionStart/End can't be converted to int.

Top Top

action
  Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:58 pm

Hey people! Got a interface design right here - doesn't really have much, but oh well.
RGSSS.rar
Enjoy - This is standard C# here. I just made this, so I haven't added functionality to it yet.

Top Top

action
  Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:50 pm

New Screenshot!
screeny

Enjoy,
-abreaction

Top Top

Ulqiorra
  Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Not bad. So, will you be adding code-hints(think Flash AS Editor)?

Like, when you write in "def something" it has a box pop up saying "def <method>(arg1, arg2, etc)" or something along those lines?

Another cool feature, building upon that, would be remembering variables declared earlier in the script. like on line 3 you write "variable = 1", and then on line 11 you write "p " and it gives you the hint "variable".

Top Top

action
  Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:05 am

That would be very nice. Of course, I'd never figure out the auto-complete(code-hints), but the variable thing sounds doable (once I figure it out, with someone's help of course- most likely someone doing it all to show me :sad: )

Hey, where's that snippet for syntax-highlighting you promised me??

Top Top

Ulqiorra
  Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:13 am

It's for VB6, just so you know, but I can still PM it to you if you want. Speaking of which, I need to reinstall my Visual Studio 6.0 .

Top Top

action
  Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:28 am

Waitin' on those text files :P No hurry, no pressure

Way more prettyful now. This is what I'm thinking it'll stay as.

Currently adding functionality :D

Top Top

Truly else
  Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:18 am
Empty Room Psych

Quick question: Red?

Top Top

action
  Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:31 pm

Red, as in ruby.I made it a bit lighter to bring out the textboxes so it isn't as hard on the eyes.

But it is red for a reason. I'm looking at other programs that used red as the theme color

Top Top

action
  Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:01 am

Finished with the interface :D (well, a few tweaks here and there; more panels and buttons on the large toolbox; syntax on/off on the status bar)

I made it more gray, alot less red, so it's easier on the eyes. I also added the large toolbar(Office ribbon-ish) and some other eye candy

For real now, going forward with functionality, unless anyone has any problems with the current interface.

Top Top