Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Amy
  Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:25 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Now that our eZine is going strong, I'd like to gauge interest in a sister project.

Advanced RPG Maker

Advanced RPG Maker is a cross-site, RPG Maker only eZine, of a similar vein to the HBGames.org eZine. Released monthly, it is a compilation of tutorials, reviews, news and other info about RPG Maker, its games and its users.

Concept:

The eZine would be hosted here, and primarily discussed here, but it would be posted on, and created in collaboration with, members of many RPG Maker websites, including the official forums, which would be its main audience.

It would provide the entire RM community with a substantial, quality publication.

I intend to make a thread on the official forums soon to see how many people are interested in it, and if we can get some good contributors going providing content for it.

The eZine would be released monthly, as a sister and companion to the HBGames.org eZine, which would continue to be monthly but sit inbetween, half way through the month.

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:29 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
My bad, I didn't intend this to appear on the homepage, that's a side effect of where I've posted it. I'll leave it though, if it gets good comments for it.

Top Top

Jason
  Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:37 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Sounds like a great idea, especially making it a cross-forum thing, you should definitely go to the official forums and see what their members think! This could be a sure thing to get us some more members!

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:37 pm
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

This could be a good idea.

I say you should try releasing at least one issue and see what happens.

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:26 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
A link to the discussion topic on the official forums:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php ... rpg-maker/

Top Top

Jason
  Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Yeah, just checked it out and it's great that they're up for it, hopefully we'll get more people contributing to it too!

Top Top

Xilef
  Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:23 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I like the thought of this replacing the hbgames ezine, it would be the niche focus I think this place needs, we are hbgames, we make games, we are also the guys who do the advanced RPG maker ezine, sounds like a good direction

Top Top

Jason
  Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:25 pm
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Well it's not so much replacing the HBGames eZine, it's going to be made alongside it... or that's what I'm getting from what he's said, lol. Which would mean the HBGames one could be made just for us and be a little more silly and stuff!

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 am
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

I saw you post in my window UI design thread in .web, Amy - mayhap that can be included? *nod nod*

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:24 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Great minds think alike :thumb:

Top Top

Spoo
  Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:06 pm
Certified Bad Pun Aficionado
Sponsor

Party Mascot
I like the idea of interacting with other communities. Gives us a friendlier image than I imagine we currently look.

SMITE | PATH OF EXILE | BATTLEBLOCK

Top Top

Jumping Jack Flash
  Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:24 pm

L1 Slime
Spoo wrote:
I like the idea of interacting with other communities. Gives us a friendlier image than I imagine we currently look.

Not everything can be / should be about look.

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:31 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Should still be happening. I haven't had any submissions (but was suggested to actually go out and do journalism, which is fair enough).

Top Top

Amy
  Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:19 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Any quick submissions of any kind please let me know (even if it's just "can you feature my game/website?")

Top Top

Daxis
  Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:32 am
The arrow lives frugally.

Although creating games would be a stretch, I’m still pretty interested in cool design/techniques used in RM.

"RPG ideation"

Top Top

Amy
  Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:01 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I've bought aRPGMAKER.com and directed it to the RM boards, not sure if that will help Google etc, might help with marketing all the same.

(Issue 1's out by the way)

Top Top

Amy
  Mon May 05, 2014 10:27 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Issue 2 is mostly planned out now, with some small spaces for any submissions between now and release. Feel free to send or suggest anything.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun May 11, 2014 10:17 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
OK guys, penciled in date for issue 2 is Friday, 16th May, all things going to plan.

Top Top

Amy
  Wed May 14, 2014 8:05 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Issue 2 is now finished, so any submissions will now go towards issue 3. Will be released this Friday.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:04 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
The next issue will have a small contest in it. I'd, of course, like to make sure this compliments, not detracts from, us, so if anybody has any ideas on how to make it work well for HBGames (while still being good for the overall Community) let me know your thoughts.

Top Top

Amy
  Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:37 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
13/20 done, with ~4 to 5 of those 7 reasonably planned out. Just searching for more things to spotlight.

Top Top

Amy
  Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:42 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
It feels like when I'm working on the eZine or ARPGM, I'm sitting here doing lots of stuff, but completely blank on the forums. I think I'm going to have to come about a new way of doing things such that developing the eZine or ARPGM is more of a community thing, in a way like how we did the blue redesign. I'm just mumbling at this point but appreciate your thoughts on how it could be a more open process. I'm thinking of having an articles submission forum where people post articles instead of sending them to me, so that there is discussion and crowd-sourced development of said articles until they're finished, maybe.

Top Top

Orsalak
  Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:43 pm

L1 Slime
Hi Princess Amy,

I just stumbled on your magazine and I really, really liked it. I hate that there were only three issues produced, but I downloaded them all and even registered here so I could comment. I don't know if you are even considering reviving this, but you may have better luck when the new edition comes out as people will be looking for information on it to come up to speed as quickly as possible. Last years timing might not have been as good due to the product being well established with lots of tutorials and information already available.

That said, you need contributors or you are stuck doing it all yourself. You may need to reach out to individuals specifically to get content. If you see something interesting in a game demo, maybe ask the author if they would be willing to do a write-up showing how they did it. If it took a bit of work, maybe it would continue across a couple of issues "Stay tuned next month for Part 2 - Finalizing the Scoring for our Mini-Game". You can offer having their game featured in a future month to try and build momentum on their work as an incentive for them to write something for the magazine.

You could also feature an artist and maybe provide a couple of themed sprites, items, etc. Would be even better if they were exclusive to your magazine so people had to come here to get them, but that may not be feasible.

Just some thoughts, but again, I really enjoyed your magazine.

Top Top

Amy
  Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:04 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Oh, hi... sorry about that. I think I put too much into it and it sortof fizzled out. I'm not sure why I stopped to be honest.

Probably a bad thing that it was only one person putting it all together. People seemed to stop asking for it so it stopped coming. I couldn't keep the motivation up.

I'd love to get this going again but I only seem to get inspiration for articles every now and then. I need discipline.

Top Top

Jason
  Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:37 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Princess Amy wrote:
Oh, hi... sorry about that. I think I put too much into it and it sortof fizzled out. I'm not sure why I stopped to be honest.

Probably a bad thing that it was only one person putting it all together. People seemed to stop asking for it so it stopped coming. I couldn't keep the motivation up.

I'd love to get this going again but I only seem to get inspiration for articles every now and then. I need discipline.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:02 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
There is about six pages left if anyone has anything to add.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:19 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Nearly finished, expect it in the next few days.

Top Top

Amy
  Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:55 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Half way to Issue 6. Does anybody have anything to add? (Just a one line idea is good enough.)

Top Top

Amy
  Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:08 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Any submissions or ideas for #6?

Top Top

StrawberrySmiles
  Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:55 am
Sponsor

Generic Townsperson

Maybe you could wait and see if they announce IGMC 2015 winners this week?

Also, how about something related to making your game more known? I once tried to start a discussion about it on RMW, but it didn't catch on. Only answers I got were: "make your presentation look pretty". It could be useful, because when someone works on a game, they probably want someone to notice it. o.o

Top Top