Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 76  Next
    Princess Amy
  Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:55 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Not really. Just switches and percentages and shit (oh my).

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:16 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Man. I spent five years working predominantly with RPG Maker. I then spent five years working with solely PHP, HTML and JavaScript.

Now to use both of them together, doing things in PHP that generate JS to control the RPG Maker Game and vice versa, even if this is an awfully programmed game, it just feels amazing.

Remaking the functions I made for Old Afar so that they work in RPG Maker. It just feels good, man.

Top Top

AceOfAces
  Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Sewer Rat
@Nathaniel3W and @ZenVirZan , yes, I am using the stock animation sheets. I was also referencing the stock animations (VX Ace, mind you) as well.

Polished the battle system UI a bit. The stamina bar was converted to a gem and moved around a few things...

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:46 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Looks great. The third battler looks like Jason...

I like the window skin - it's detailed but it works as an actual windowskin (which they often don't). Tiles in the right places etc.

Not sure I'm going anywhere useful with this:

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:16 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
I had sketches of satyrs and things a few years ago, I never fleshed out.

Last edited by coyotecraft on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:50 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Secret(ish) minigame. Well, not secret, just unsignposted. Boats happen to sail past and if you notice them and launch the catapult in time you can destroy them, affecting a world event.

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:35 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Generic Townsperson

Nice. Who doesn't enjoy sinking a ship now and then?

As for what I'm working on...

I have my day cycle shader on terrain from World Machine. Before I'm completely satisfied with it, I'll want to carve actual rivers into it, then make a water mesh, and add foliage. And of course I'll have to add a navigable grid, decide which tiles are actually navigable, and then figure out how to actually navigate the world map.

Why did I do this? I must be crazy. It feels like I'm making a whole other game that you have to play in order to play my game in it.

Last edited by Nathaniel3W on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:16 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Wow, beautiful.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Generic Townsperson

Thanks! I've been doing practically nothing but practicing with World Machine for the last week or two. I can't say I know everything, but I think I've come a long way. After learning World Machine, all I had to do was cover it in materials I had already made.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:32 am
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
I'm not working on it anymore. But I was researching module design theories and generated maps a while back for tileset application. I didn't really learn anything useful. Except I think if rpg maker rearranged it's Tile Tabs it might lead to better looking maps.

I mean, a computer can generate some decent maps based on some rules. But not everyone has that kind of design sense and they're just trying to fill a space and end up with some unusual rooms. Like bedrooms that are better suited as basketball courts.

Top Top

AceOfAces
  Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Sewer Rat
I made a ship transition:

Now to figure out how to tint the screen in the Ruby Script...

Top Top

Xhukari
  Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Party Mascot
I'm in such a game development rut right now.
I keep just crashing on it.
The latest is a game inspired by Othello.
Where you place warriors on a grid, each warrior with a different effect. Some would 'flip' those nearby it over to the other colour. Other would do that in a straight line at a specific direction. Or some would 'kill' warriors in tiles around it, while others would 'resurrect' warriors in an area, etc. And the player with the most warriors of their colour at the end would win.

What ultimately crashed it, is that I don't think it can scale up to a full-game very well. I was planning to have you do battles across a map, collecting these different warriors etc. Also the AI would be literal hell for me to implement.

Back to the drawing board again.

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:17 am
RIP Dropbox public links, you were the best part of the service.
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

i should learn to make puzzle games

Top Top

Jason
  Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:26 am
Awesome Bro

Generic Townsperson
Ignore this post.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:15 am
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
I'm going to try to do something souless and uninhibited. Starting with rpg mechanics and write a narrative to fit it. Drawing character archetypes out of a hat. Roll dice to decide on a master plot.

Let see: A Rivalry
Between an Ordinary man & Thrill seeker.
Set in Lost lands

Ok. I'll try working with that.

Top Top

AceOfAces
  Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:26 am

Sewer Rat
Working on new lighting:

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:21 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Gonna have to rebuild much of my game - probably build the base systems from scratch - to fit an ABS. But it will be worth it.

Top Top

Xilef
  Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:58 pm
Staff

Staff Chick

Amy for any real-time action game I'd probably use Node with TCP packets, SQL and even Firebase aren't fast enough to keep up with real-time movement and combat, but TCP packets these days are acceptable (Minecraft, World of Warcraft) so that would save having to write a full packet system.

If you didn't go for an ABS, then Firebase database alone would be sufficient for tracking player movement - but it's not suitable for combat that relies on real-time movement.

I would love to build an online system for MV with Firebase. Wish I had more time than just weekends to work on cool experimental MV projects. I wonder how much people would pay for an MV online development kit.

Weekend RPG Maker MV plugin writing;
It's a 3D battle system.

Because software rendering is something MV supports, I'm writing a software and hardware renderer for the 3D backgrounds. I'll have to write an auto-tessellation algorithm to balance performance against visuals dynamically.

Sucks because I'm pretty sure only 0.01% of MV users depend on the software renderer, but MV supports it so Plugin writers need to as well.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:48 pm

Generic Townsperson

coyotecraft wrote:
I'm going to try to do something souless and uninhibited. Starting with rpg mechanics and write a narrative to fit it. Drawing character archetypes out of a hat. Roll dice to decide on a master plot.

Let see: A Rivalry
Between an Ordinary man & Thrill seeker.
Set in Lost lands

Ok. I'll try working with that.

Do you have an actual chart for deciding on a random plot? Have you ever read TV Tropes? It's well worth your time.

And there's a game I'm thinking of, but I can't remember the name of it. Basically each of the players are given random goals and random relationships and then they have this silly adventure. The game is based on the movies of some director, but I don't remember who he is either. Any ideas?

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:39 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
Nathaniel3W wrote:
Do you have an actual chart for deciding on a random plot? Have you ever read TV Tropes? It's well worth your time.

And there's a game I'm thinking of, but I can't remember the name of it. Basically each of the players are given random goals and random relationships and then they have this silly adventure. The game is based on the movies of some director, but I don't remember who he is either. Any ideas?

I just looked at lists of things and went with whatever number I rolled with dice. But I should have known this method would be too loveless. I just didn't care to continue it the next day. and I have 100 other things I could be doing, so...

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:11 am

Generic Townsperson

I just spent all morning fixing a problem that hadn't happened yet. I'm working on adding enemy armies to the world map, and I knew that my random placer wasn't going to work as intended... I give the random placer some info that includes type of army, type of terrain, likelihood of spawning, and maximum number of armies to spawn. It was going to be really slow iterating through each terrain hex, seeing if it matched the terrain type, and if so then rolling the dice to see if the enemy army spawned, and doing that until you either ran out of terrain hexes or reached the maximum number of spawns. And if you had a high likelihood of spawn and low maximum number to spawn, then the armies would always appear in the same location.

So I just spent the last few hours changing the randomizer to work like this: Categorize all the hexes by terrain type, then select a percentage of those to have an enemy army appear on it, then pick that many terrain hexes at random from that pile (removing them from the eligible list as you go), and then put enemy armies on them.

Now my randomizer is working much better. But I still haven't actually put any enemy armies on the map. :specs:

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:29 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
I've made the game window resize based on your resolution, and I've made the overlay windows resize based on that new game resolution. But what I need to work out now is whether I can implement scaling. Larger text in the forums and guide windows, for example, and larger images here and there. Potentially, even the map could be scalable and with an options window this should all be controllable by the player.

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:21 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Aww yeah. Gonna take a lot of tweaking, but technically speaking the following all implemented:

o Replaced graphics-based windows with CSS rules
o Dynamic changeable opacity and colour of windows (hope to implement a colour wheel)
o Dynamic size of game (choose a size, fill the browser, or choose the suggested size)
o Dynamic size and position of windows
o Scaling of images within these windows, and skill buttons, HP bar, etc
o Dynamic text size based on size of game
o Map zoom, choosable by the player (or scales based on client size if not chosen) - choose if you want to play zoomed in or with a wide view

Like I said it's implemented but not finished... Lots of tweaking to do.

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:31 pm

Generic Townsperson

Sounds good. It might not be the most exciting stuff to work on, but it shows that you have a polished and professional game.

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:35 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
Decisions. Decisions.
ImageImageImage

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:51 pm
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
Let's go with Nunchucks.

It's kinda of a big decision. I'm sure most people would want a sword but MV already as a lot of Sword users. I can't do all of them. Well, I can. But if the stars stay in alignment, I'd move on to Actor1_2. Maybe a Boomerang?

Top Top

ZenVirZan
  Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:08 pm
RIP Dropbox public links, you were the best part of the service.
Sponsor

Inept Evil Stooge

that shit looks sexy as fuck
i love how you draw armour and clothing

Top Top

coyotecraft
  Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:20 am
Sponsor

Big Dumb Guy
"This one time, at bard camp, I put a flute in my nunchaku."

Top Top

Princess Amy
  Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:46 am
Staff

Big Dumb Guy
Wondering if this would work in RMMV.

https://tympanus.net/Development/RainEffect/

Trying to resist the urge to distract myself by implementing it. I need to work on my actual game instead.

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 76  Next