Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Big| Medium| Small] -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85
    Xilef
  Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:09 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Made this to test out my Mode 4 code:

Spent most of the time trying to optimise the random number generator. Quirk with mode 4 is that it has two pages that you are supposed to swap between for reading/writing pixel data, but what I did here was Direct Memory Access (DMA) copy the back buffer to the front buffer when in VBlank.

A normal CPU copy involves reading from memory to the CPU then writing from the CPU to memory (load/store) - with DMA you basically connect the memory directly so the data transfers without touching the CPU (well, not quite). The CPU is halted during the transfer, but it's really fast compared to even the fast CPU copy mode (which does load/store copy but locks the CPU to do it as fast as it can).

Top Top

Nathaniel3W
  Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am

Generic Townsperson

That looks great. I don't know your whole process for picking the colors, but the way I would do that with a material in a modern engine is like this:

Bands of color, from bottom to top: white, yellow, orange, red. Also, opacity decreases as the color darkens. Place over a black background. Take two repeating noise textures that you scroll, one toward the top-right, the other toward the top-left. Add their red channels and green channels together and use the resulting numbers to offset the colors from the color bands.

That's kind of the standard for procedurally generated fire nowadays, easily done when you have a multi-gigabyte engine and a modern operating system sitting between you and the video card. Is the process for choosing the color at all similar on a GBA?

Top Top

Xilef
  Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:36 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

I forgot to mention that video was based on the code for Doom PSX's fire effect, which is a more lazy implementation of old-school demo-scene fire. The image is scanned from top/bottom left/right and when a coloured pixel is encountered it is randomly propagated to one of 3 pixels above it, the pixel receiving the colour has its value randomly reduced too. The fire is seeded by a solid white line at the bottom of the screen.
Here's an article: http://fabiensanglard.net/doom_fire_psx/

I later made a more GBA optimised version that's a little different (same principle, but more quirks) where I do this on entire scan lines at a time - which allows 8bit operations on the pixel data. VRAM on GBA only allows 16bit data so an 8-bit write requires reading 16-bits, masking off 8-bits, or'ing 8-bits, then writing 16-bits - this was the bottleneck.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:10 pm
Riding High above the world, ascended and pure.

Omnipresent Merchant

3/14 happened, had some fun doing a splash video on my website. https://www.crazychimps.biz/

Despite how uneventful the week has felt, I've actually gotten quite a lot done! I began by grabbing some DLC and having fun adding sound to these animations.

[center][/b]Lifestrom, Eschaton, Floor Shatter, Scarlet Sun Supernova

Now with these new animations, I also endeavored to optimize the Denui Damnation scenes, there's a large chunking / frame rate issue when these play, and the reason is mostly that the 'rotate picture' command in rpg maker as a whole is one of the most costly processes you can run. So, I remove that and the other tidbits, and instead simply play a pre-rendered short and sweet cinematic, like these two
Absolute Tempest // Heavens Wrath

Haven't implemented these changes into the game yet- but I will probably today.

Jake "MoneyMenace" Gamelin, the composer for Fantasia, has also been busy! Lumi's themes have been completed and they are great!

Xiie also finished the sprite for Rolly, and it's adorable!
ImageImage

I myself, have been busy updating Fyori's portraits with the tattoos, magic body-runes and fine details along with adding Pjcr's wings into the equation, now she's sitting pretty, and even has a shrugging pose now! More to come!
ImageImage

I also updated Esperia's Sclera to be black... which is accurate given how tanked she is on Heldathian mana.
ImageImage

I've also re-calibrated all the instances for music playing, I had to re-order the OST recently as it went from 56 tracks up to 64. Here's what the tracklist looks like now.
Which meant updating every wrongly named instance in the games events, thankfully this didn't take overly long, and during i got to do some incredible improvements to some areas where the writing felt a little hammy.

For now, that's all~ But i think given that I'm gonna have to be a potato this weekend, I'll get quite a lot done!

Top Top

Xilef
  Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:32 pm
Staff

Big Dumb Guy

Your production standards for an MV project are much, much higher than most other MV games out there. It's pretty cool being able to look across your past projects and see how much your work has improved.

Top Top

BizarreMonkey
  Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:50 am
Riding High above the world, ascended and pure.

Omnipresent Merchant

Xilef wrote:
Your production standards for an MV project are much, much higher than most other MV games out there. It's pretty cool being able to look across your past projects and see how much your work has improved.
Ahahaha, why thank you. Gosh you're making me blush!

PFC was the first massive jump, all my games prior, discounting Boned- had no artistic coherency, PFC did (for the most part) and it was praised not only for that, but for it's pretty stand out evented ABS gameplay and use of in-game cinematics, although in many regards it did feel sluggish and weak in areas.

Fantasia has the sped up and more open-armed combat PFC lacked, on top of that because I have two incredibly devoted artists doing virtually all of the art for me, it's incredibly beautiful looking. Maps also further took the 'parallax' treatment, although some maps do still use tiles, such as London Downtown, The Starship YHWH and any obstacle courses, where tile-collisions need to be easy to read. I've been called on one occasion the 'Platinum of RPGmaker' due to the colorful hecticness of my games and how I think so hard about mechanics and what works and what doesn't, and always raise the bar higher.

After PFC, I knew I couldn't excuse anything lesser, and I was excited by that! I've always sought to push myself and the engine I use beyond the limits I thought once existed, but the ceiling can always go higher! It's really epic making these evented battles and then seeing how radical and epic they feel to play. I've currently still got three to do for the main storyline in regards to Demo 2, and I'm thinking about how each will go and play out so as to give them a feeling of uniqueness to other fights, but also to keep them fun, fluid, and at least somewhat challenging!

Rolly's fight will have a 'break the floor' mechanic, you'll start on the roof of a skyscraper, and go down five floors ending in the parking lot underneath by the time it's over. Rolly will mostly Rolly towards you, which you can interrupt and stagger him by defending against.

Tristy's fight will be complicated, like the character herself. She'll summon Wormholes that will redirect attacks, that one should be fun to implement! beyond having a chaotic mix of purple, (which means move or suffer) and yellow (can only be avoided with skedaddling) attacks. Your own attacks can also be redirected to hit you.

Lyza's fight I don't know much of it yet, but she's the end of disk boss, so she's gotta be pretty fucking intense, much like Yi is now for Disk 0. her fight and the scenes that follow will be the finale of Demo 2, from there, players will be in the dark until Demo 3 comes out.

So Lyza will have to combined all of the knowledge the player has gained up until this point, and test the player on that said knowledge and see if their skills can match up. She'll likely go through a multitude of phases where she changes from different colored projectiles, summons adds that have to be killed before time is up, and then possibly even just a 'stay the fuck alive' phase before the finale. I'll make sure her track is suitably epic for such an encounter.

Top Top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85